PDA

View Full Version : Is Vasquez a Crazie favorite?

dukestheheat
01-24-2009, 09:38 AM
To any current Crazie/fan:

Vasquez seems to really enjoy playing at Cameron and earlier this year, he lauded praise on the Crazies, saying that the Duke students (as well as those at UNC) follow the team with great passion. He was upset at the lack of support from the Maryland crowd and he made the comparison to Duke versus the experience he's had at Maryland this year.

I like Vasquez and while he does tend to run way off at the mouth (to the crowd, in particular) he's entertaining in the way he does this. In contrast, I totally deplored UNC's Ivory Latta; Latta, when taunting the Duke crowd, seemed to detract from the overall experience. In some strange way, Vasquez adds to it, at least in my opinion.

Who knows if his aura builds with this season and next, but to date that's kind of how I see him. I like his game, also, even though he takes some ridiculous shots at times.

What do any current fans/Crazies think about the theatrical Vasquez? Would he be in the 'Crazie favorite' category?

thanks,

dukestheheat

houstondukie
01-24-2009, 10:03 AM
In my opinion, he is a crazy favorite for sure. He seems to have a fun interaction with the crazies, and at times it has a sibling rivalry feel to it. Perhaps current Duke students who have seen Vazquez play in person can tell us more.

PumpkinFunk
01-24-2009, 02:23 PM
We hate him. The stuff he says fires us up, but we don't like him at all. We harassed him all game today... not the type of thing you do to a "favorite"

phaedrus
01-24-2009, 02:41 PM
We hate him. The stuff he says fires us up, but we don't like him at all. We harassed him all game today... not the type of thing you do to a "favorite"

Players we hate are our favorites. We need them. They complete us.

trey
01-24-2009, 02:52 PM
After the game today, I'd have to say yes. I'll take motivation like that every time.

willowglen
01-24-2009, 02:55 PM
I am having a hard time disliking him after today's game.

Pity might be a better word.

He is a talented player. And no matter what, he will likely be a good international player, where matador defense will make him look good.

But today's game shows how easily a great coach - and with 40 plus point victories it is easy to forget Duke still has the best coach in the country - bar none - can take Vasquez out of a game. When I saw him forcing shots with three Duke players on him in the first three minutes, I turned to my dog (a great puppy, by the way) and said, the game is over, he will play undisciplined and the rest of the game his teammates will stand around and not get into the flow of the game.

From mouthing off to playing like an average Division II player? Let him keep talking.

I must say this is not due to any acuity in my observational capacities - I have just seen the Terps play too often this year (live in the DC area), and they and Vasquez are predictable. Williams of course knows this, and has to be kicking himself for not going all out in recruiting the last five years.