PDA

View Full Version : RIP Kay Yow 1942-2009

roywhite
01-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Her long overtime battle with cancer has ended.

A great coach and a great role model.

Faison1
01-24-2009, 09:05 AM
Oh man, I am so sorry to hear that. Because she battled so long and hard, you just don't expect to hear news like this.....

Our kindest regards to Kay's family and Wolfpack fans.....very sad day.

EarlJam
01-24-2009, 09:08 AM
Man, what sad news to wake up to. Blessings to her family. R.I.P. Kay Yow.

Did she just pass away this morning? A link? I see no one else talking about this (web sites, sportscenter, etc.)

I'm assuming it just happened?

Oh, just found link: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/ncsu/womens_basketball/story/1380259.html

-EJ

willowglen
01-24-2009, 09:10 AM
A profile of Kay Yow last week on national TV was heartwarming.

The team had placards describing Coach Yow's wins, the scant few number of coaches that had won that many game (5), and the number of coaches like Coach Yow (zero).

I watched it thinking it was one of the nicest gestures any group could ever make about any one person.

miramar
01-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Very sad news. I hope they have a moment of silence before the game.

captmojo
01-24-2009, 09:35 AM
There's a special place in Heaven reserved for her. May her fighting spirit thrive forever. Best wishes and sympathies to her family.

JasonEvans
01-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Here is a really nice column (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=3853652) from ESPN on her loss.

--Jason "the world is a lesser place for losing her, but a better place for the time she spent with us" Evans

captmojo
01-24-2009, 09:51 AM
Here is a really nice column (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?columnist=voepel_mechelle&id=3853652) from ESPN on her loss.

--Jason "the world is a lesser place for losing her, but a better place for the time she spent with us" Evans

Thanks for that. A very good read.

sue71, esq
01-24-2009, 10:08 AM
I'm just at a loss for words. My thoughts & prayers to her family.

What a remarkable coach. What a remarkable woman. What a remarkable human being.

rasputin
01-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Kay Yow was quite a classy person.

brianl
01-24-2009, 10:14 AM
I am deeply saddened at the news of the passing of Kay Yow. She demonstrated for many years a winning spirit, both on and off the court. She was an inspiration to us all.

May the Lord Bless this family and hold them close during this difficult time.

dukepsy1963
01-24-2009, 10:16 AM
Deepest sympathy. What a class act! Support cancer research in her memory....

davekay1971
01-24-2009, 10:31 AM
Kay Yow was and will always be an inspiration. Thoughts and prayers for her family.

geraldsneighbor
01-24-2009, 10:31 AM
I am in complete shock right now. My thoughts are were here family. It is scary to think that she was coaching 3 weeks ago and now she is gone. What a sad day in the triangle.

CathyCA
01-24-2009, 10:32 AM
My thoughts are with her family and friends. Kay Yow had a tremendous heart.

DukieInKansas
01-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Deepest sympathy to her family, friends, and the NCSU community. She was, and will continue to be, an inspiration to many.

Favorite Kay Yow quote: "Don't drown in self-pity. Swish your feet a little, then get out."

Rest in peace.

sue71, esq
01-24-2009, 10:43 AM
Favorite Kay Yow quote: "Don't drown in self-pity. Swish your feet a little, then get out."

That's wonderful. I'll have to remember that one.

BlueintheFace
01-24-2009, 10:57 AM
In honor of coach Yow and her struggle...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePXlkqkFH6s

gadzooks
01-24-2009, 11:39 AM
I knew this day would come, but I'm still incredibly saddened by this news. My thoughts are with her family and all who were close to her. Godspeed, Coach.

throatybeard
01-24-2009, 11:43 AM
You knew this was coming, and probably soon, but that doesn't make it any less sad.

jv001
01-24-2009, 11:50 AM
Great person. Affected many people in so many ways. May her family find comfort in our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

CameronBornAndBred
01-24-2009, 12:01 PM
Very sad news. She was an amazing influence on why women's basketball is the respected game that it is today. Thoughts to her family and friends, and the NCSU organization that supported her so well.

cl15876
01-24-2009, 03:33 PM
What a remarkable woman, leader, mentor, inspiration! All the lives she shaped, touched and molded! What a legacy she leaves behind and watches over now, that she is in a higher place! My thoughts & prayers are with her family.

DukePA
01-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Kay Yow fought a courageous battle with dignity and class. She is missed and will continue to inspire. Condolences to her family and loved ones.

TillyGalore
01-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Was so sorry to learn of Coach Yow's passing. Her family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Would it be tacky of me to wear my pink Duke shirt to tomorrow's (Sunday) Duke WBB game vs. Georgia Tech in honor of Coach Yow?

DukePA
01-24-2009, 10:36 PM
Was so sorry to learn of Coach Yow's passing. Her family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Would it be tacky of me to wear my pink Duke shirt to tomorrow's (Sunday) Duke WBB game vs. Georgia Tech in honor of Coach Yow?

Not in the least bit tacky. I think that would be a wonderful tribute to a wonderful person.

gadzooks
01-25-2009, 12:52 AM
Not in the least bit tacky. I think that would be a wonderful tribute to a wonderful person.I agree, I think it would be a wonderful gesture.

Raleighfan
01-25-2009, 04:49 PM

Naw, not tacky in the least. I saw quite a bit of pink scattered among the audience today, even some of it on guys (nothing wrong with a light pink button-down shirt!).

buddy
01-26-2009, 09:24 AM
Thank you for your moving remembrance posted on the Headlines. I have been reminded by several of my friends of the Bible incident. From what little I know of Kay Yow, I believe that experience defined her as well as any. In today's society we fear what we don't understand, and far too many don't understand true faith. Kay Yow apparently did not force her faith on others, but did very much allow it to define who she was. And maybe that is why so many feel such loss over somehow they may never have met.

allenmurray
01-26-2009, 10:04 AM
The next NCSU home women's game is Thursday, the 29th. If my son doesn't have basketball practice that night (sometimes his team practices from 3 - 5, other times from 5 - 7) I think he and I will go, and carry a sign that reads, "Duke fans love Kay"

Of course, wouldn't it be great if there were say, 1000 Duke fans there. The game will be at Reynolds, and my guess is that it will be packed. They probably should consider moving it to the RBC Center, though Reynolds was certainly Kay's home.

Highlander
01-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Thank you for your moving remembrance posted on the Headlines. I have been reminded by several of my friends of the Bible incident. From what little I know of Kay Yow, I believe that experience defined her as well as any. In today's society we fear what we don't understand, and far too many don't understand true faith. Kay Yow apparently did not force her faith on others, but did very much allow it to define who she was. And maybe that is why so many feel such loss over somehow they may never have met.

If the bible incident is the one I think you're talking about, I know it well, because I was there when she broke the story. Kay spoke at our church in the mid 80's and talked about traveling to the USSR for a basketball game with bibles taped to her stomach to distribute to people there. My father (who was the minister at the time) got a call from the NY Times asking for an interview later that week. She may have also had lunch at our house that afternoon as well; I can't remember. Has anyone seen a link recapping it?

We lost a legend this weekend. I think it's admirable the way she continued to fight and live her life on her terms, and not in fear of the disease she knew would one day win. Courageous just doesn't seem like a strong enough word to describe Kay Yow, but it is at the very least a fitting one.

captmojo
01-31-2009, 09:01 AM
Thank you DBR for the WRAL link this morning. Thanks for making this grown man blubber and be inspired all at the same time! Well produced as well. Good job by the station.

jv001
01-31-2009, 10:36 AM
I watched some of the funeral service for Kay yesterday on New 14 and I have not been this blessed in a long time. What a great Christian Kay was. This same news channel is going to repeat the service again tomorrow at 1pm. Like someone said she had great faith but did not try to force it on anyone. That's a true Christian. To do everything with Love. May God Bless her family.

DukieInKansas
01-31-2009, 10:51 AM
I only caught the tail end of the service. I loved having the service end with The Hallelujah Chorus. What an amazing woman!