PDA

View Full Version : Miracle Minute

Mr Blue Devil
01-23-2009, 02:34 PM
With the matchup tomorrow, thought we'd all wanna watch again :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_pPqWfI84

godukerocks
01-23-2009, 02:35 PM
Day I became a Duke fan.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-23-2009, 02:47 PM
With the matchup tomorrow, thought we'd all wanna watch again :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_pPqWfI84
That was great! Thanks!

JDev
01-23-2009, 02:49 PM
The Duke @ UM game in its entirerity from 1/27/2001 will be on ESPN Classic at 3 eastern today.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-23-2009, 02:59 PM
I've always referred to this as Gone In 54 Seconds, is this not correct?

OZZIE4DUKE
01-23-2009, 03:03 PM
I've always referred to this as Gone In 54 Seconds, is this not correct?
Yes, it is. We scored a 2 point bucket at the 1 minute mark, but stole the ball and Jason made his first 3 with 54 seconds left. That's what you see in the video.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-23-2009, 03:04 PM
The Duke @ UM game in its entirerity from 1/27/2001 will be on ESPN Classic at 3 eastern today.
But you only need to see the last minute, plus overtime :D

JDev
01-23-2009, 03:10 PM
But you only need to see the last minute, plus overtime :D

Haha, yeah the rest of the game didn't look so good. Jason Williams, before exploding late and in OT, was having a particularly tough game. Double-digit turnovers as I recall. Man did he make up for it.

snowdenscold
01-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Yes, it is. We scored a 2 point bucket at the 1 minute mark, but stole the ball and Jason made his first 3 with 54 seconds left. That's what you see in the video.

Actually the score was still 90-80 at the 54 second mark. By 53.5 it had become 90-82 thanks to Jason's layup.

But yeah, we started possession at the 1 minute mark.

Oriole Way
01-23-2009, 03:59 PM
Being able to watch that game in person is my fondest sports memory of all time.

Worth every penny of the $200 I paid for courtside seats.

blazindw
01-23-2009, 04:07 PM
I'll always remember where I was (Aycock, 2nd floor), who I was with, how we celebrated in the halls of Aycock and then went to K-Ville to party. I even remember the play-by-play of Mike Patrick and Brad Daugherty by heart and it ALWAYS brings a smile to my face

"WE. SHOULD. NOT. BE. HERE!"

loran16
01-23-2009, 04:32 PM
Here we go guys, Miracle minute time (Steve Blake named player of the game lol)

Lulu
01-23-2009, 06:21 PM
That was enjoyable, thanks a lot. Can't believe we had Williams and Duhon on the same team, not to mention Battier and Boozer. It's going to be hard to top that team for a while.

I probably watched about 20 other Duke clips while I was at it. Noticed 2 things: Elmore really hates for Duke to win (McClure beats Clemson, for one) and McRoberts had even worse body language than I remembered. I think you can see the dysfunction.

pfrduke
01-23-2009, 06:39 PM
I'll always remember where I was (Aycock, 2nd floor), who I was with, how we celebrated in the halls of Aycock and then went to K-Ville to party. I even remember the play-by-play of Mike Patrick and Brad Daugherty by heart and it ALWAYS brings a smile to my face

"WE. SHOULD. NOT. BE. HERE!"

I was banished in Trent that year, and we had one of the more viewer-friendly setups of our block of rooms, so we always had people over for away games. My roommate and I would sit on our respective beds, which were lofted, to make room for plenty of people at ground level. At the beginning of the comeback, I was sitting cross-legged on the bed, a little back from the edge. After the 2 to cut it to 8, I started leaning a little forward; after the steal, I was leaning on my hands and knees; after the 3 to cut it to 5, I pushed up jubilantly in celebration - only to put my head right into the ceiling. The adrenaline masked the pain until the game ended, when I took care of any last vestiges with 2 Advil washed down with a double shot of tequila. Best. Headache. Ever.

DukePA
01-23-2009, 06:55 PM
I was banished in Trent that year, and we had one of the more viewer-friendly setups of our block of rooms, so we always had people over for away games. My roommate and I would sit on our respective beds, which were lofted, to make room for plenty of people at ground level. At the beginning of the comeback, I was sitting cross-legged on the bed, a little back from the edge. After the 2 to cut it to 8, I started leaning a little forward; after the steal, I was leaning on my hands and knees; after the 3 to cut it to 5, I pushed up jubilantly in celebration - only to put my head right into the ceiling. The adrenaline masked the pain until the game ended, when I took care of any last vestiges with 2 Advil washed down with a double shot of tequila. Best. Headache. Ever.

LOL!!!! Awesome post! Go Duke!! Spear the turtle!

Virginian
01-23-2009, 07:18 PM
Thanks! It was great to see that again after so many years.

It immediately brought to mind the trip my son and I took to the Meadowlands in late 2001 to see the Duke-Kentucky game. If I'm remembering this correctly, we were trailing all through the second half until Jason W. scored like 20 out of our last 25 points to carry the team back into the game and force overtime and ultimate victory. The excitement and noise of the largely Duke crowd was overwhelming. My son (Duke class of 2006) ate it up.

I had never seen a player take the game in hand the way JW did that night. He just refused to let his team lose that game. He literally could not have been stopped by anyone. It really makes you wonder what might have been if he had been able to have the pro career that lay ahead of him.

Anyway, back to the Md. game: perhaps K should show that last minute to his current team to get them motivated. The point: we do NOT lose to Maryland no matter what.

Go Duke!

EarlJam
01-23-2009, 08:33 PM
Wow! First of all, THANK YOU for this post. I full joy to watch!

Now, Shouldn't this whole thing be called, "Gone in '40' seconds?" Or the miracle 1/2 minute+?

It did not even take a full minute to kill the ten point lead. It took just 40 seconds. Even more amazing.

Just a thought.

-EJ

sue71, esq
01-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Wow! First of all, THANK YOU for this post. I full joy to watch!

Now, Shouldn't this whole thing be called, "Gone in '40' seconds?" Or the miracle 1/2 minute+?

It did not even take a full minute to kill the ten point lead. It took just 40 seconds. Even more amazing.

Just a thought.

-EJ

EJ, I'm with you. Watching it again made me think the same thing! I'm so glad the link was posted and I got to see it again!

How funny was it listening to the announcers in shock and awe... nonstop. :D

KyDevilinIL
01-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Shane's victory-sealing block in OT was a thing of absolute beauty.

KyDevilinIL
01-23-2009, 09:55 PM
And in some ways I'm starting to see the "we will not lose" attitude in Kyle and GH, especially. They haven't yet been tested the way the 2001 team was on numerous occasions (save for GH saving our tails against Belmont), but I think they have a chance to become a Laettner-Hurley or Battier-Williams sort of combo. I hope.

RainingThrees
01-24-2009, 12:22 AM
The only thing that keeps me from watching this everday is Mike Patrick. Hearing "Holy Cow" and "Staggering" 2,598 times in that amount of time can get annoying. I can't dislike his commentary to much though, he did give me my user name and signature.