PDA

View Full Version : Favorite bands/musicians?

Mr Blue Devil
01-23-2009, 12:03 PM
Maybe this has been done before but who are your favorite musicians or bands?

My all time favs are Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Offspring, Creed, Tea Party, and Stabbing Westward.

Ever since moving south and being near the beach and getting to camp so much more I pretty much only listen to Jack Johnson, Mike Pinto, Staylefish, Bob Marley, Pepper, and most recently G. Love.

jimbonelson
01-23-2009, 01:18 PM
bon jovi
metallica
iron maiden

i have been listening to james blunt recently and i like his music

DukeUsul
01-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Billy Joel
Branford Marsalis
Beethoven

PSurprise
01-23-2009, 02:34 PM
The next obvious step is now to guess the age of the participants of the survey.

Acymetric
01-23-2009, 04:04 PM
This is always a tough question, because what I want to listen to has a lot to do with my mood. Sometimes I want to listen to someone with extreme talent, sometimes some catchy riffs, etc. But at least this isn't pick your favorite band, which I just can't do.

Anyways, in no particular order:

Stevie Ray Vaughan, Jack White/The Raconteurs, Slash's Snakepit (along with Guns and Velvet Revolver of course), Bang Camaro, Boston, Reel Big Fish, Explosions in the Sky, Foo Fighters, John Mayer, Red Hot Chili Peppers, ZZ Top, early Green Day, Youngblood Brass Band.

That list is probably a little long, but I'd hate to cut any of them out. Really there are a few more I'd like to add...

Oriole Way
01-23-2009, 04:12 PM
bon jovi
metallica
iron maiden

i have been listening to james blunt recently and i like his music

That's sort of a funny list, because James Blunt is nothing like the first three whatsoever.

Oriole Way
01-23-2009, 04:27 PM
I am a rock music nut. I am thoroughly depressed by the current state of music overall, and rock in particular. There have been very few bands in this decade that have produced anything good, or anything that really rocks.

That said, my essentials would include:

R.E.M., Radiohead, U2, Muse, the Who, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Better Than Ezra, Foo Fighters, Tool, Nada Surf, the Band, Green Day, Metallica, and Ryan Adams.

Among many, many others.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Billy Joel
Branford Marsalis
Beethoven

I'd like to add a few to this list:
Ellis and Wynton Marsalis
Etta James
J. S. Bach
G. F. Handel
James Brown
Tina Turner
Chuck Berry

CameronBornAndBred
01-23-2009, 05:16 PM
a list of more than 3

Jane's Addiction
Grateful Dead
Perpetual Groove
Bauhaus / Love and Rockets
Tool
Peter Gabriel

jimbonelson
01-23-2009, 06:10 PM
That's sort of a funny list, because James Blunt is nothing like the first three whatsoever.

i am getting older

dukepsy1963
01-23-2009, 06:12 PM
Miles Davis
John Coltrane
Bill Evans
Alan Pasqua
Prokofiev's Stuff
Thelonious Monk
McCoy Tyner

devil84
01-23-2009, 08:14 PM
Jimmy Buffet
James Taylor
Athens Drive High School Marching Band

The ADHS drumline was asked to perform a fun rendition of Little Drummer Boy up at a swanky affair in Downtown Raleigh. It was hosted by ADHS alumnus Josh Hamilton (yeah, the famous baseball player). I was the lucky one who drew the chaperone assignment. We got the drumline up to the top floor, and the guy directing us where to go asked me if they knew who we were playing with. I said, "yes, Josh Hamilton." And said no, not "for," but "with." I was floored when he said "Branford Marsalis." Branford did a little improv on Little Drummer Boy on his soprano sax along with the drumline. That was a WAAAAAYYYY cool day for those drumline kids. Even cooler: Branford was impressed with their drumming.

OK, add Branford Marsalis to my list, too.

And add DUMB, too. Because that means I'm in Wallace Wade or Cameron, and cheering my heart out!

rockymtn devil
01-23-2009, 08:17 PM
I don't even know where to begin.

MMJ, Ryan Adams (& the Cardinals), Bright Eyes, Tom Petty, The Byrds (and Roger McGuinn as a solo artist), Gram Parsons (including the Flying Burrito Brothers), the Grateful Dead, Iron & Wine

It's an ever evolving list.

Ben63
01-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Where to start? I'll try. (In no particular order)

AC/DC
Kenny Chesney
Iron Maiden
Boston
Brad Paisley
Disturbed
Guns N' Roses
Lil Wayne
Michael Jackson (old stuff)
My Chemical Romance
Papa Roach
Red Hot Chili Peppers
System of a Down
T.I.
Weird Al Yankovic

Among many many others

Master Shake
01-23-2009, 10:18 PM
The Smiths
R.E.M.
Silver Jews (RIP)
Bowie
John Cage
Morton Feldman
The Wedding Present
Pavement
The Kinks
The Cramps
Roger Miller
Otis Redding
Steve Reich
Guided by Voices
Hank Williams
The Jam
Pulp
The Magnetic Fields
Nick Drake
The Zombies
Yo La Tengo
Sonic Youth
The Buzzcocks
The Magnetic Fields
Tony Conrad
Stereolab
Charlemagne Palestine
Billy Bragg
Outkast

Just recently got into jazz:
Coltrane
Mingus
Ornette Coleman
Ayler

Cell-R
01-24-2009, 12:21 AM
DC*B (David Crowder Band)
O.A.R.
RHCP
Sister Hazel
Matchbox 20
The Beatles
Bon Jovi
Counting Crows
Jack Johnson
Third Eye Blind
Vertical Horizon
Boston
The Who

RainingThrees
01-24-2009, 12:29 AM
Lenny Kravitz
Audioslave
Led Zeppelin
Guns N' Roses
RHCP
Foo Fighters
JET
Bob Marley
Weezer
Queen
Kanye West
T.I
Eminem
AC/DC
Coldplay
The Rolling Stones
Stone Temple Pilots
Smashing Pumpkins
Van Halen
Jimi Hendrix
Joe Satriani
Aerosmith
Kiss
Too many to list. I'm really starting to get into 90's grunge/rock, but I love all rock from the late 60's to now. Mix in Jazz, Rap, and some funk.

Stray Gator
01-24-2009, 01:05 AM
Some of my favorites, most of whom have surprisingly (to me at least) not yet been mentioned, but have stood the test of time:

J.J. Cale
Neil Young & Crazy Horse
Eric Clapton
Steely Dan
Joni Mitchell
Bonnie Raitt
Beausoleil
Gordon Lightfoot
Beach Boys

2535Miles
01-24-2009, 04:02 AM
Sunny Day Real Estate (anything Jeremy Enigk)
J Church
Hot Water Music
Ron Carter
Dvorak
Elvis Costello
The Undertones
The Mummies
Screeching Weasel
The Vindictives
The Ramones
Slayer
Versus
The Promise Ring
Alkaline Trio
Al Green
Tom Waits
Neil Diamond
The B-52s
Blankface
Chamberlain
Jawbreaker
Modest Mouse
The Smoking Popes

... I could go on and on and on and on and...

killerleft
01-24-2009, 10:57 AM
It's amazing how few women populate these lists. Why is that?

Eilen Jewel
Linda Ronstadt
Emmy Lou Harris
Ruthie Foster
Alison Krauss

RainingThrees
01-24-2009, 11:38 AM
It's amazing how few women populate these lists. Why is that?

Eilen Jewel
Linda Ronstadt
Emmy Lou Harris
Ruthie Foster
Alison Krauss

Are you accusing people of being sexist? Maybe they just don't like the artists you like. Personally I'm a rock guy and don't really find women singing rock to be my style. I'm not against it just, I just don't like the sound.

mpj96
01-24-2009, 12:27 PM
I am a rock music nut. I am thoroughly depressed by the current state of music overall, and rock in particular. There have been very few bands in this decade that have produced anything good, or anything that really rocks.

That said, my essentials would include:

R.E.M., Radiohead, U2, Muse, the Who, Led Zeppelin, Neil Young, Better Than Ezra, Foo Fighters, Tool, Nada Surf, the Band, Green Day, Metallica, and Ryan Adams.

Among many, many others.

That's a good list. Check out the Black Keys, the White Stripes and the Griffin House album (can you still say album?) Lost & Found. You can hear some of these free in concert on NPR's Live Concerts from All Songs Considered if you don't want to chunk over the cash before giving them a listen.

pamtar
01-24-2009, 02:12 PM
I'll go with a top 7. Even though I cant stand to listen to some of it now, at one point I totally worshiped these guys.

Jimi Hendrix
Shai Hulud
Small Brown Bike
Beethoven
Okkervil River
Stretch Arm Strong
Pinback

fadero
01-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Springsteen
Grateful Dead
Rolling Stones
Who
Emmy Lou Harris
Richard Thompson
Neil Young
Allman Brothers
Lucinda Williams
J.J. Cale
The Band
Bright Eyes
Grace Potter
Government Mule
Dylan
Joe Ely

ForeverBlowingBubbles
01-24-2009, 05:15 PM
1) Cold War kids

Relief (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u88DwfBgzYw)

We Used to Vacation (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rfDvpfC2bw)

2) Artic monkeys

Teddy Picker (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A2XBoxtcUA)

Fluorescent adolescence (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N64QMKEbJQg)

3) The Kooks

Naive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFYz4eYIeuw)

Eddies Gun (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKLYO-4LRsY)

and one more band for good measure

4) Mason Jennings

Fighter Girl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0GsAfy8m5Y)

YmoBeThere
01-24-2009, 07:36 PM
Britney Spears
Christina Aguilera
and Debbie Gibson

Oh and Avril Lavigne ain't bad.

(Yes, I kid)

killerleft
01-24-2009, 09:12 PM
Are you accusing people of being sexist? Maybe they just don't like the artists you like. Personally I'm a rock guy and don't really find women singing rock to be my style. I'm not against it just, I just don't like the sound.

I wasn't accusing anyone of anything. I am just surprised.

rockymtn devil
01-24-2009, 09:48 PM
Springsteen
Grateful Dead
Rolling Stones
Who
Emmy Lou Harris
Richard Thompson
Neil Young
Allman Brothers
Lucinda Williams
J.J. Cale
The Band
Bright Eyes
Grace Potter
Government Mule
Dylan
Joe Ely

I'm going to guess that no only did you subscribe to No Depression, you mourned its passing. Me too :(

jimbonelson
01-24-2009, 10:15 PM

because lita ford, pat benatar, and chrissy steele do not sing rock and roll

willywoody
01-25-2009, 01:04 PM
a music post that made it to a second page without me posting 20 times, way to go guys.

miles davis
john coltrane
beatles and solo beatles in the 70's
the who
the yardbirds
the clash
wilco
uncle tupelo
son volt (version 1, not the current version)
alejandro escovedo
dbt's
mmj
lambchop
flaming lips
ryan adams, especially whiskeytown
gillian welch
b-52's
rem
husker du
replacements
stereolab
sonic youth
neil young
yo la tengo
mercury rev
radiohead
sparklehorse
rolling stones
built to spill
magnolia electric company
brian jonestown massacre
dandy warhols
world party
feelies
calexico
mary lou lord
deerhunter
sleater-kinney
slobberbone
southern culture on the skids
gourds
grandaddy
gomez
the drones
victoria williams
jayhawks
velvet underground
v-roys
u2
blue mountain
black mountain
but not the band Mountain
neko case
patty hurst shifter and
the hold steady

sorry it's kind of long and i know i'm leaving something out. i have and continue to enjoy multiple cds from these bands. i excluded any band i liked that only has one cd. many of them, like the who and the clash, i've liked since high school or college and still listen to regularly. i've seen over half of these bands live as well. percentage would've been higher if i was a just a wee bit older or some of the newer bands had been around a little longer.

and there's some women who rock on the list too, especially the women of sleater-kinney but also Georgia in Yo La Tengo, Laurie Stirrat in Blue Mountain, Fiona in the Drones, etc. i also stayed away from soul and funk as i tend to have singles collections rather than a single artist's album. my classical collection is pitiful so i can't claim any favorites there either.

2535Miles
01-25-2009, 02:05 PM
a music post that made it to a second page without me posting 20 times, way to go guys.
Fun stuff willywoody, lots of great bands in your list. Have you ever checked out Playlist.com? (http://www.playlist.com)

willywoody
01-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Fun stuff willywoody, lots of great bands in your list. Have you ever checked out Playlist.com? (http://www.playlist.com)

actually i have not. i've seen these lists embedded on people's blogs but didn't know the site. thanks.

captmojo
01-25-2009, 04:15 PM
blue mountain
black mountain
but not the band Mountain

You got something against Leslie West?

Right now I'm listening to the International Silver String Submarine Band.

Does that relate to my age?

DevilCastDownfromDurham
01-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Grouped into loose genres:

Lyrically-driven lo-fi: Mountain Goats, Iron and Wine, Damien Rice, Bonne "Prince" Billy, Midlake, Keren Ann

Thoughtful/creative rap/hip hop: Outkast, Nas, MC Frontalot, A Tribe Called Quest, DJ Green Lantern, DJ Danger Mouse, Fugees

Experimental rock-y weirdness: King Missile, Radiohead, Flaming Lips, Andrew Bird

Experimental ambient weirdness: Laurie Anderson, DJ Shadow, Postal Service, Portishead, Eels, Brian Eno

Silly: They Might Be Giants, Weird Al Yankovic, Jellyfish, Primus

Solid Indie Rock: Interpol, The Magnetic Fields, The National, Wilco, Bright Eyes

My list is also both irritatingly long and (for me) maddening incomplete. I've tried to list groups that either a) I listen to over and over or b) had a major impact on my taste/worldview. Happy to see some groups I didn't expect (Magnetic Fields, Weird Al) get some love.

As for ladies who rock, how about Joan Jett and Liz Phair? Doesn't get much better than that, IMO.

RainingThrees
01-25-2009, 07:46 PM
because lita ford, pat benatar, and chrissy steele do not sing rock and roll

I listened to them, just didn't like it. If you want my favorite female artists I would say Billie Holiday, Marlena Shaw, and maybe Mariah Carey.

jimbonelson
01-25-2009, 09:15 PM
I listened to them, just didn't like it. If you want my favorite female artists I would say Billie Holiday, Marlena Shaw, and maybe Mariah Carey.
I think they are great artists, but your post says your a rock and roll guy and none of these are rock but boy do they make great music

YmoBeThere
01-25-2009, 09:23 PM
I think my list is still the best!

hahahahahahahahahaha!

jimbonelson
01-25-2009, 09:29 PM
I think my list is still the best!

hahahahahahahahahaha!

great for 10 year old girls

YmoBeThere
01-25-2009, 10:01 PM
Haha, there isn't any miley cyrus on the list...

devildeac
01-25-2009, 10:12 PM
I have added my usual suspects to this list in the past including Bruce, Billy Joel, The Who and other rockers from the 60's and 70's. After this weekend, I'll have to add the Glenn Miller Orchestra to that list. We listened/danced to them for 4 hours last evening and they were fabulous. I am even considering taking my soon-to-be 89 year old father to see/hear them in G'boro next month for his birthday. He remembers seeing/hearing them perform over 60 years ago in NYC or at the Jersey shore and was soooo jealous when he found out we had the opportunity so attend a show this weekend.

Stray Gator
01-26-2009, 04:39 PM
I have added my usual suspects to this list in the past including Bruce, Billy Joel, The Who and other rockers from the 60's and 70's. After this weekend, I'll have to add the Glenn Miller Orchestra to that list. We listened/danced to them for 4 hours last evening and they were fabulous. I am even considering taking my soon-to-be 89 year old father to see/hear them in G'boro next month for his birthday. He remembers seeing/hearing them perform over 60 years ago in NYC or at the Jersey shore and was soooo jealous when he found out we had the opportunity so attend a show this weekend.

devildeac,

I agree that Glenn Miller's Orchestra and some other Big Band-era recording stars are seriously underappreciated as musicians. One of the reasons I love having XM and Sirius is the "40s on Channel 4" and Siriusly Sinatra--just for an occasional change of pace from such channels as Classic Vinyl, Deep Tracks, The Bridge, Bluesville, Margaritaville, the 60s on 6, The Grateful Dead Channel, The Loft, etc. BTW, I have both of Glenn Miller's movies ("Orchestra Wives" and "Sun Valley Serenade") on tape and have transferred some of the original sound track recordings from the films to CD--the modern studio CD collections are more polished productions, of course; but the quality and vibrant spirit of the music (and musicianship) from those original sessions recorded by Miller and his orchestra live for the movies is incomparable.

CameronBornAndBred
01-26-2009, 05:42 PM
I think they are great artists, but your post says your a rock and roll guy and none of these are rock but boy do they make great music
Janis Joplin. Rocked.

Just thinking that some will say Janis was blues, and I'd buy that. But she still rocked.

captmojo
01-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Janis Joplin. Rocked.

Just thinking that some will say Janis was blues, and I'd buy that. But she still rocked.

"The blues had a baby and they named it rock and roll."
Muddy Waters

"Without blues there would not be rock. Without blues there would not be jazz. Without blues there would not be swing. There would not be anything."
Mojo

"I do not like green eggs and ham."

devildeac
01-26-2009, 10:00 PM
devildeac,

I agree that Glenn Miller's Orchestra and some other Big Band-era recording stars are seriously underappreciated as musicians. One of the reasons I love having XM and Sirius is the "40s on Channel 4" and Siriusly Sinatra--just for an occasional change of pace from such channels as Classic Vinyl, Deep Tracks, The Bridge, Bluesville, Margaritaville, the 60s on 6, The Grateful Dead Channel, The Loft, etc. BTW, I have both of Glenn Miller's movies ("Orchestra Wives" and "Sun Valley Serenade") on tape and have transferred some of the original sound track recordings from the films to CD--the modern studio CD collections are more polished productions, of course; but the quality and vibrant spirit of the music (and musicianship) from those original sessions recorded by Miller and his orchestra live for the movies is incomparable.

That does it. You convinced me. My dad gets a trip to G'boro next month to see the GMO for his surprise 89th birthday present. A father/son outing. :cool:

captmojo
01-26-2009, 10:04 PM
If my dad was still around, I'd be there with him too. He was stationed in England with him during the big one, WWII.

devildeac
01-26-2009, 10:17 PM
If my dad was still around, I'd be there with him too. He was stationed in England with him during the big one, WWII.

Now THAT is some connection!

captmojo
01-27-2009, 08:11 PM
He said that on Saturday nights, they would set up a bandstand on one end of the grass runway and all the people from town would come out. Then, snapping his fingers he told me, "They'd really send those Limeys".

2000!

OldPhiKap
01-27-2009, 11:21 PM
The Clash is the only band that matters.

But beyond that, I'll take the Heads, Floyd, Jerry, Joe Jackson, and Jorma.

duke74
01-27-2009, 11:55 PM
Gordon Lightfoot

Everything but the Girl

DukeCO2009
01-28-2009, 01:16 AM
In alphabetical order:

Allman Brothers Band
Blind Melon
David Bowie
Dinosaur Jr.
Kyuss
Led Zeppelin
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Metallica
Neil Young
Pavement
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Tom Petty
Van Morrison

2535Miles
01-28-2009, 03:36 AM
In alphabetical order:

Allman Brothers Band
Blind Melon
David Bowie
Dinosaur Jr.
Kyuss
Led Zeppelin
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Metallica
Neil Young
Pavement
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Tom Petty
Van Morrison
I'm happy to see Dinosaur Jr. on your list. I've always felt that Dinosaur Jr. never got the props they deserved. Sure Jay Mascis was a bit of a control freak and a jerk, and he ran one of the best bass players out of the band, then eventually the drummer, but dang... could that guy play! When people ask me for my favorite guitar player, Jay is the first person to come to mind (not to mention that he ended up recording most of their albums - as in, he played all the instruments - from the early 90's onward).

Freak Scene, Track 5 (http://www.playlist.com/playlist/13488265483)

billybreen
01-28-2009, 08:18 AM
Bowie, the Clash, Pink Floyd, the Beatles, Rufus Wainwright, Tool, OutKast, Tribe Called Quest, the Beasties, almost any musical cast ever, and everything else I'm going to kick myself for forgetting as soon as I submit this.

should_be_working
01-31-2009, 04:13 PM
I'm a little late on this but as a child of the 90s - i stay true to my generation:

3eb (Third Eye Blind) for those not obsessed with them like I am
Bush
Better Than Ezra - very underrated band
Nirvana
Goo Goo Dolls
No Doubt - old stuff
Green Day
Absentstar
Kings of Leon
Sheryl Crow - great voice
Year Long Disaster
Eve 6
Guns and Roses
Garth Brooks

GDT
02-01-2009, 10:57 PM
It's hard to narrow it down - iTunes says I have 3013 albums from 1094 artists on my computer. There's so much good music and as I've become older I listen to such a small fraction. In a pinch I'd focus here:
Van Morrison (the greatest of our time)
Morton Feldman
Kevin Ayers w/Ollie Halsall (great guitarist)
Peter Blegvad
Vic Chesnutt's first five albums
Patsy Cline
Marilyn Crispell
Departure Lounge
Abdullah Ibrahim
Dylan
Duke Ellington
Dave Douglas
Brian Eno
Richard Thompson & Fairport
Aretha
Freakwater
Go-Betweens
Robyn Hitchcock
John Zorn & Masada
Eleni Mandell
Jayhawks
Yo La Teno

+ many more.

There is so much good stuff out there, but you really have to look. When I was younger I was a college DJ so it was easier to find. How does everyone find new stuff?

ArnieMc
02-02-2009, 04:18 PM
Santana
Rare Earth
Bob Seger

moonpie23
02-02-2009, 04:52 PM
wow....as a child of the 60', and a record producer of 30 years.....it's painful to look at some of these lists...

GDT
02-03-2009, 09:59 AM
wow....as a child of the 60', and a record producer of 30 years

Have you read Joe Boyd's White Bicycles (http://www.amazon.com/White-Bicycles-Making-Music-1960s/dp/1852429100/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1233673141&sr=1-1), by any chance? Or maybe you is he, given your resume. Anyone interested in the '60's looking for a breezy read from guy who was stage manager for Dylan's electric Newport show, who produced Pink Floyd's first single and featured them at his club, who produced Fairport, Richard Thompson, Nick Drake, and many others, and seemed to know just about everyone in music at the time, should give it a try.

dball
02-03-2009, 03:06 PM
Van Morrison
Switchfoot
Eric Clapton (and associated bands)
Beatles
Beach Boys
Bob Marley
Bob Dylan
Marvin Gaye
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Eagles
Buddy Holly
Dave Clark Five
Who

2535Miles
02-03-2009, 03:49 PM
wow....as a child of the 60', and a record producer of 30 years.....it's painful to look at some of these lists...
Do you have any favorite producers?

Oh Canada
02-06-2009, 12:30 PM
I'm surprised very few have Dylan on their list. Many of the musicians you mentioned credit him for their rise to stardom.

I can't get enough of Josh Rouse at the moment!

Oh Canada
02-06-2009, 12:31 PM
For those of you who like Bjork and unique voices.....you MUST go on to itunes and download Gin Wigmore's EP. It's only $3 or so because it's just 5 songs but she's amazing.

Living in Australia but was just recognized by the NY times so her star will be rising very quickly.

Jeffrey
02-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Hi,

We recently had a baby girl and named her Lennon. If she had been a boy we would have named her Dylan. My wife would have no part of naming our child Garcia.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Oh Canada
02-06-2009, 12:56 PM
My dog's named Zimmy for the exact same reason! Not manly but what can you do with a golden doodle??

Jeffrey
02-06-2009, 01:23 PM
My dog's named Zimmy for the exact same reason!

Hi,

Great name! I might steal the name if we get our girl a dog. I was planning on naming my first dog Marley until the movie came out.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

guybrush
02-08-2009, 05:24 PM
Gabriel/Hackett/Rutherford/Banks/Collins---- Genesis