PDA

View Full Version : WVU just beat the hell out of Georgetown

rthomas
01-22-2009, 09:15 PM
And GT was at home. Whoohooo.

Oriole Way
01-22-2009, 09:20 PM
West Virginia is solid, so it's not a terrible loss, but I would want Georgetown to do as well as possible since it would make our win over them look more impressive when it comes to the NCAA tourney committee seeding us. As such, I'm not too pleased with the loss.

Just my opinion.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-22-2009, 09:24 PM
West Virginia is solid, so it's not a terrible loss, but I would want Georgetown to do as well as possible since it would make our win over them look more impressive when it comes to the NCAA tourney committee seeding us. As such, I'm not to pleased with the loss.

Just my opinion.
I agree with you.

Truth
01-22-2009, 09:36 PM
I agree with you.

I'll second that!

geraldsneighbor
01-22-2009, 09:52 PM
Yeah, I feel the same way. We have to just worry about us though and take care of our own business. The talk of "G'town was just overrated when Duke beat them" is coming, so don't let it fluster you.

PSurprise
01-22-2009, 09:59 PM
Wow. It's like Duke curse. Didn't Purdue and Xavier do the same thing? Highly ranked teams play Duke and lose. Then they lose again. It's like a loss to Duke equals an automatic two-game losing streak. Looking foward to playing UNC :)

JasonEvans
01-22-2009, 10:00 PM
The Big East is the greatest conference in the history of basketball. Results like this are to be expected as these superpowers play each other.

This proves that the BEast is incredibly deep and full of teams that can perform among the elite in the land. On the other hand, Va Tech beating Wake just proves that top of the ACC was not as good as everyone thought.

--Jason "do I qualify to be an ESPN announcer now?" Evans

rthomas
01-22-2009, 10:08 PM
All I have to say is: WVU just beat the hell out of Georgetown. Woohoo!!!

Newton_14
01-22-2009, 10:20 PM
Wow. It's like Duke curse. Didn't Purdue and Xavier do the same thing? Highly ranked teams play Duke and lose. Then they lose again. It's like a loss to Duke equals an automatic two-game losing streak. Looking foward to playing UNC :)

Anyone recall the "Saluki Hangover" the annoying Southern Illinois fan kept insisting Duke would have?

Every since that game, teams that Duke beat seem to have the 'SaDukie" hangover and lay an egg in their next game. Taking that beatdown from Duke appears to have a lingering affect!

Faustus
01-22-2009, 10:21 PM
I would just like to say that this above analysis does not go nearly far enough to credit the incredible power of the Big East. Just by being a member of that august body not only should merit an annual spot in the NCAA tournament, but a five seed or higher. To be honest, a four seed really, but that would of course mean the Big East would hold ALL of those 16 spots, and we also know that in their humility this small, tightly regional but all-powerful conference allows that such would be a tad greedy. And they would never blow their own horn. Tonight's final score remained in the 50s and 70s only because the unmatched offensive ability of the Big East (read: juggernaut) was somewhat countered by their unparallelled defensive prowess. As I watched some of the second half (and what a spectacular atmosphere the cozy MCI Center provides! Good parking facilities too) display of magic that was the Big East, I cowered in fear at what will happen to any other conference entry who dares take the floor in the NCAAs this upcoming March. What a spectacular epic struggle we shall see in the championship game between those two academic titans, Louisville and UConn. I can hardly wait.

OldSchool
01-22-2009, 10:55 PM
As such, I'm not too pleased with the loss.

Just my opinion.

In my years of supporting Duke, initially I concerned myself only with whether we won or lost. However, over time, I also found myself beginning to so dislike certain programs that I hoped they would lose whenever they take the court. Over time a team might get included or deleted from the list, but for me the list always includes UNC-CH, UConn, Maryland, Arizona and Kentucky. In recent years GTown has been moving into that category. Good on ya Mountaineers!

devildownunder
01-22-2009, 11:19 PM
In my years of supporting Duke, initially I concerned myself only with whether we won or lost. However, over time, I also found myself beginning to so dislike certain programs that I hoped they would lose whenever they take the court. Over time a team might get included or deleted from the list, but for me the list always includes UNC-CH, UConn, Maryland, Arizona and Kentucky. In recent years GTown has been moving into that category. Good on ya Mountaineers!

Why Georgetown and Arizona? Is 'Zona because of Lute?

OldSchool
01-22-2009, 11:43 PM

I suppose for me the biggest factor in disliking a team is my personal experience with the arrogance and stupidity of their fan base. As for Arizona, for me it started in the late 1980s when they beat us in the Meadowlands and culminated with the NCAA championship game when Arizona fans blamed their loss to us on a conspiracy by the referees. It takes many years of a team humbled by mediocrity before I lose my antipathy toward them! Maybe Arizona will get there in a few years.

As for GTown, as they move back into national prominence it seems to bring out the worst in their fanbase, which is egged on by the DC-area media. To see them blame the loss to Duke the other day on the T on Monroe was not a surprise. JTIII IMO is a better coach than his father and it is appearing that he may be just a good a recruiter, which augers well for their success as well for increasingly insufferable fans.

Kedsy
01-23-2009, 12:26 AM
As for GTown, as they move back into national prominence it seems to bring out the worst in their fanbase, which is egged on by the DC-area media. To see them blame the loss to Duke the other day on the T on Monroe was not a surprise. JTIII IMO is a better coach than his father and it is appearing that he may be just a good a recruiter, which augers well for their success as well for increasingly insufferable fans.

My guess is they think our fan base is insufferable, too.

OldSchool
01-23-2009, 12:42 AM
My guess is they think our fan base is insufferable, too.

I doubt the Duke fan base figures much on their radar screen. The anti-Duke fan base is much larger in the DC area than the Duke fan base. What they probably find insufferable is hearing Dick Vitale extolling the virtues of Duke rather than the Duke fan base itself.

Edouble
01-23-2009, 01:04 AM
Anyone recall the "Saluki Hangover" the annoying Southern Illinois fan kept insisting Duke would have?

Every since that game, teams that Duke beat seem to have the 'SaDukie" hangover and lay an egg in their next game. Taking that beatdown from Duke appears to have a lingering affect!

I believe that the Saluki Hangover was guaranteed by that fan. Thanks for bring that up though. It really made me smile, remembering that guy.

moonpie23
01-23-2009, 01:14 AM
i wanted to post on the hoyas' board .....wondering when they were going to start complaining about the refs......it was about two posts in...

basically, according to hoya fans, NO team is good enough to beat them.....they ALL have to have help from the stripes..

g'town=tarholes

altho.....i did LOVE g'town two years ago when they put the FIRST beatdown on ROy.......softening him up for his JAYHAWK beatdown..

:)

SilkyJ
01-23-2009, 01:46 AM
I agree with you.

I think we all do.

The Big East is the greatest conference in the history of basketball. Results like this are to be expected as these superpowers play each other.

This proves that the BEast is incredibly deep and full of teams that can perform among the elite in the land. On the other hand, Va Tech beating Wake just proves that top of the ACC was not as good as everyone thought.

--Jason "do I qualify to be an ESPN announcer now?" Evans

No, A) the second part actually made sense and B) was way too complex for them. (obviously excluding jay will and jay bil)

Also, WRT to this hurting out RPI or SOS or what have you come tourney time, Va Tech is a decent team and this will pump up their ratings and therefore ours a little, tho signature OOC wins do come in handy. They are definitely in the hunt for the tourney and at 3-1 in the ACC are looking good...long ways to go tho...

davekay1971
01-23-2009, 04:15 AM
I suppose for me the biggest factor in disliking a team is my personal experience with the arrogance and stupidity of their fan base.

On that basis it'd be real hard to pull for WVU over Georgetown :cool:

davekay1971
01-23-2009, 04:21 AM
altho.....i did LOVE g'town two years ago when they put the FIRST beatdown on ROy.......softening him up for his JAYHAWK beatdown..

:)

Since we live in NC, my wife and I bought G-town t-shirts immediately after they beat UNC so we could wear them around and proudly mock the 'Hole fans. Last year we bought Jayhawk tees. It's now an official family tradition. I'll only have a problem if UConn is the team to beat the 'Holes...that would be a tough t-shirt to wear, even for the noble reason of taunting 'Hole fans...

jv001
01-23-2009, 08:05 AM

You must have been reading my mine. It does indeed look like when beat a good team, that team then loses a game or two b4 righting the ship. If they right the ship it will not hurt us come seeding time, but if they don't it will not help us for sure. Go Duke!

rthomas
01-23-2009, 08:14 AM

I wouldn't consider WVU's fan base arrogant. WVU fans just know that WVU sports are really really good.:)

SMO
01-23-2009, 08:43 AM

That Saluki fan never did quite make it back here as he promised!

Smitty1911
01-23-2009, 10:00 AM

I second that! I had free tickets to last night's game at Verizon, so I figured what the heck. The WVU fans reminded me why I put them slightly AHEAD of MD fans on my list of biggest (insert favorite derogatory term). They were just how I remembered them at the NCAAs last year. Now mind you, I have no problem with visiting fans cheering for their team, but I can't believe how obnoxious these fans are. Just within the nearby rows I witnessed several near-altercations. Why would you feel the need to wave a WVU flag in another fan's face?! Why would you think you're well-representing your school by pointing your finger in another fan's face as you yell "Georgetown sucks!"?! I found myself suddenly becoming a passionate G'town fan, which takes a LOT. WVU fans should not be allowed in arenas that serve alcohol. Of course G'town probably could've shut them up with the slightest bit of effort on the court. The only thing worse than their offense was their uninspired defense. I guess it was the Duke hangover.

rthomas
01-23-2009, 10:18 AM
I second that! I had free tickets to last night's game at Verizon, so I figured what the heck. The WVU fans reminded me why I put them slightly AHEAD of MD fans on my list of biggest (insert favorite derogatory term). They were just how I remembered them at the NCAAs last year. Now mind you, I have no problem with visiting fans cheering for their team, but I can't believe how obnoxious these fans are. Just within the nearby rows I witnessed several near-altercations. Why would you feel the need to wave a WVU flag in another fan's face?! Why would you think you're well-representing your school by pointing your finger in another fan's face as you yell "Georgetown sucks!"?! I found myself suddenly becoming a passionate G'town fan, which takes a LOT. WVU fans should not be allowed in arenas that serve alcohol. Of course G'town probably could've shut them up with the slightest bit of effort on the court. The only thing worse than their offense was their uninspired defense. I guess it was the Duke hangover.

Just watching on TV I was pretty amazed at how little the Georgetown fans cared, no cheering, no student section, lots of empty seats. OTOH, WVU travels. 3 and a half hours away, they will take your empty seats.

sagegrouse
01-23-2009, 10:21 AM

What was impressive on TV was that WVU seemed to be getting bigger cheers than the host Hoyas. Probably there were more Hoya fans but that the considerable number of Mountaineers had a heck of a lot more to cheer about.

One thing that I have found living in the DC area for decades is that the metro area is full of people from (a) Western PA, (b) upstate NY (esp. Buffalo), and (c) WVa. Needless to say the DC economy the past 20-30 years has been more vibrant than those locations.

When the sainted Redskins played the Steelers on Sunday or Monday night in November, there seemed to be more Steelers than Redskins fans (or maybe it was those infernal white towels) (or maybe it was the asinine NFL TV schduling that makes paying customers stay out in the cold past midnight on a work night).

sagegrouse

Smitty1911
01-23-2009, 10:51 AM
What was impressive on TV was that WVU seemed to be getting bigger cheers than the host Hoyas. Probably there were more Hoya fans but that the considerable number of Mountaineers had a heck of a lot more to cheer about.

One thing that I have found living in the DC area for decades is that the metro area is full of people from (a) Western PA, (b) upstate NY (esp. Buffalo), and (c) WVa. Needless to say the DC economy the past 20-30 years has been more vibrant than those locations.

When the sainted Redskins played the Steelers on Sunday or Monday night in November, there seemed to be more Steelers than Redskins fans (or maybe it was those infernal white towels) (or maybe it was the asinine NFL TV schduling that makes paying customers stay out in the cold past midnight on a work night).

sagegrouse

The WVU fans were definitely compensating for their smaller numbers with louder voices. Their team also helped by giving them reasons to cheer. I'd be embarrassed if I were a G'town fan, letting their home court be taken over. I guess that's what you get though when you play in an NBA arena. It definitely reminded me why Cameron is so unique. It was night and day going from CIS last Saturday to Verizon last night.

greybeard
01-23-2009, 01:51 PM
Georgetown is undersized, plays virtually all the time with three guards. They have been struggling to get what they "want" on offense. They still make plays, but not getting what they want, especially for a JTIII team, has to be dispiriting. It also allows other teams to play with more freedom, looser on offense.

When Georgetown's offense clicks, they are a very good team. When it doesn't, often not so much.

I think that Georgetown competed very hard against Duke, that three of their players made lots of plays on offense even though Duke often made its offense break down, and that, yes, that game might well have influenced its flat performance last night.

Mr Blue Devil
01-23-2009, 02:00 PM
Just watching on TV I was pretty amazed at how little the Georgetown fans cared, no cheering, no student section, lots of empty seats. OTOH, WVU travels. 3 and a half hours away, they will take your empty seats.

Does GTown play in the MCI Center? I cannot remember. Heck it has been so long since I was in DC I dunno if it is even called the MCI center anymore!!!

But if they do play in the MCI Center I could see all of the above happening since it wouldn't be like a true home court.

Smitty1911
01-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Does GTown play in the MCI Center? I cannot remember. Heck it has been so long since I was in DC I dunno if it is even called the MCI center anymore!!!

But if they do play in the MCI Center I could see all of the above happening since it wouldn't be like a true home court.

Yes, Verizon Center (formerly known as the MCI Center). Occasionally a great environment (e.g., against us), but usually too NBA-like (think t-shirt launchers and cheesy promotions). Also, it's easy for visiting fans to get tickets.

Mr Blue Devil
01-23-2009, 02:24 PM
Yes, Verizon Center (formerly known as the MCI Center). Occasionally a great environment (e.g., against us), but usually too NBA-like (think t-shirt launchers and cheesy promotions). Also, it's easy for visiting fans to get tickets.

That is what I was thinking. That is tough to be a true home team in an environment like that.

-jk
01-23-2009, 02:30 PM
The problem is G'Town's true home court, McDonough, seats something like 2,500. Not too great for that big-game atmosphere, either.

NC Central seats almost twice that.

-jk

SupaDave
01-23-2009, 02:39 PM

Interesting assortment of teams there. A couple ACC teams, a SEC team, a Pac-10 team, and a couple Big East teams for good measure. You've pretty much got the gambit!

Ders24
01-23-2009, 02:45 PM
It makes me sad when Bob Huggins wins a (big) game.

JasonEvans
01-24-2009, 10:33 AM

Many Dukies who have been around long enough have a healthy dislike of Arizona because of the games we played against them back in the early 1990s.

We had a nice series with them and they jobbed us with Pac Ten refs who appeared to have been paid off on two occasions when we played them on the West Coast. K was so angry about it he canceled the series and we have not played Zona, outside of a tournament setting, since then.

-Jason "Jim Sumner or one of the other historians on this board will have better info" Evans

jv001
01-24-2009, 03:57 PM
Many Dukies who have been around long enough have a healthy dislike of Arizona because of the games we played against them back in the early 1990s.

We had a nice series with them and they jobbed us with Pac Ten refs who appeared to have been paid off on two occasions when we played them on the West Coast. K was so angry about it he canceled the series and we have not played Zona, outside of a tournament setting, since then.

-Jason "Jim Sumner or one of the other historians on this board will have better info" Evans

Jason my memory says you pretty much have it right. One of the refs was probably Ed Hightower. I don't like arizona, unc, maryland, u-conn but not in that order. Go Duke!

MADevil30
01-24-2009, 04:47 PM
I doubt the Duke fan base figures much on their radar screen. The anti-Duke fan base is much larger in the DC area than the Duke fan base. What they probably find insufferable is hearing Dick Vitale extolling the virtues of Duke rather than the Duke fan base itself.

From my experience with close friends who are currently georgetown students, flase. They hate us, like really hate us.

bwi2
01-24-2009, 04:56 PM
From my experience with close friends who are currently georgetown students, flase. They hate us, like really hate us.

They sell a sandwich at the student union called the "We Beat Duke."

throatybeard
01-24-2009, 06:44 PM
They sell a sandwich at the student union called the "We Beat Duke."

That's really kind of sad. They're not even on our radar. And not our condescending, full-of-ourself, not-radar like UK or Maryland or UConn, where really the team is kind of a rival but we're too snooty to admit it. GU--they're really not even in our top 10 teams we think about.

rthomas
01-24-2009, 07:05 PM
That's really kind of sad. They're not even on our radar. And not our condescending, full-of-ourself, not-radar like UK or Maryland or UConn, where really the team is kind of a rival but we're too snooty to admit it. GU--they're really not even in our top 10 teams we think about.

I love your avatar. Have I said this? You are the man.

mapei
01-24-2009, 08:08 PM
As for the "we beat Duke" thing, you have to understand that it was Gtown's first win over a number 1 ranked team in over a decade. It was a coming of age for JT3 as a coach and the revived Hoyas as a program. It still lingers as a signature win, but it's hardly a focus. I should also say that there are a number of us who are fans of both Duke and Gtown, but we aren't particularly vocal on the boards - I'll admit that showing affection for Duke is just asking for trouble. As a sports board, DBR is far superior (and generally classier except for feelings about UNC) to what I've seen for any other team, unfortunately.

But it isn't just Gtown. *Everybody* hates Duke outside of the core Duke fan base. Ask any fan of almost any team. It's a shame, but it's the way it is.

I think that underneath the superficial animosity, there's a respect for the Duke program.

Having said all that, getting whacked by WVU was huimiliating. I was there, and the 'eers' fans were numerous, boisterous and crude. I haven't been that miserable at a sporting event ever . . . except for when Duke played Belmont and WVU at Verizon Center. I'm not sure why the home crowd was weaker for that game than for other BE conference games, but it definitely was.

The Hoyas have some talent, but they are young and inconsistent. They can beat anybody and lose to almost anybody.

loran16
01-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Seton Hall....really. My god GTown, how do you go from challenging at Cameron to losing at Seton Hall?

geraldsneighbor
01-25-2009, 04:19 PM
Wow, is G'town still a quality win? They played awful.

tbyers11
01-25-2009, 04:25 PM
Wow, is G'town still a quality win? They played awful.

Well, at least Duke beat them at home. Which is more than I can say for UConn. :D

Mudge
01-29-2009, 11:44 PM

sagegrouse

The towels are yellow-- and yes, the people who wave them are hideous-- talk about getting your identity tied up in a mercenary pro sports team that you support-- uggh.