PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Palm's Seeding Projections

feldspar
01-22-2009, 02:40 PM
No way on God's green earth does Duke earn the #1 seed and then draw Georgetown, Butler, Notre Dame AND Oklahoma in their bracket.

No way.

jv001
01-22-2009, 03:42 PM
No way on God's green earth does Duke earn the #1 seed and then draw Georgetown, Butler, Notre Dame AND Oklahoma in their bracket.

No way.

I don't even see GT being below a #3 seed. The bracket he had Duke in was as tough a bracket as I've seen. unc's bracket was quite easy. I think VT will make the field because they have a good team with a good coach. Go Duke!

dukebluelemur
01-22-2009, 04:33 PM
Im also kind of offended by the Big 10 getting 7 teams, to the ACCs 6.

On top of the ACC deserving another there's the ACC Big10 Challenge...

Wander
01-22-2009, 05:24 PM
Agreed that bracket would be more difficult than average, but Butler is going to be a hugely difficult case to seed for the committee, and Notre Dame is vastly overrated.

geraldsneighbor
01-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Joe Lunardi folks. He knows his stuff. Stick to his bracket. He had Mich. St. as the 2 in Duke's bracket I believe at last glance.

gumbomoop
01-22-2009, 10:36 PM

No way.

I doubt that it's a coincidence that this bracketologist has given Duke not so much a tough draw - though it probably would be that - but an irritating one, in that (a) Duke would perhaps/probably face a revenge-minded G'town in Sweet 16, then (b) a "family" opponent in Elite 8: Capel/Okla, Boateng/Sendek/Az St, or Brey/ND.

I wonder whether the NCAA and CBS will try to arrange these slightly awkward match-ups. I'd bet anything if Harvard somehow wins the Ivy instead of Cornell, it'll be Duke-Harvard in 1st rd.

Also, I sure hope, come the Ides of March, Davidson deserves and gets a 6/7 seed rather than an 8/9.

WeepingThomasHill
01-22-2009, 11:07 PM
Feldspar is back and he is getting fired up about seeding projections in January for a tournament 2 months away.

Let's focus on the Maryland game...

Kedsy
01-23-2009, 12:23 AM

No way.

It's kind of silly to project a bracket this early and even sillier to take umbrage with which number four and/or number six, etc. is grouped with which number one, but I just looked at Palm's bracket and it didn't seem unreasonable. Duke would play Villanova or Wisconsin, then Georgetown or Butler, then Oklahoma or Notre Dame or Arizona State. What's so outrageous about that? Whether we play those exact teams or not, I wouldn't expect to play someone significantly worse than Georgetown in the third game nor would I expect to play someone significantly worse than Oklahoma in the fourth game. Frankly I don't understand your objection.

ice-9
01-23-2009, 03:48 AM
I really dislike Palm's method of bracketing. What's the point of "predicting" what the brackets look like? Isn't that just an extended top 25 list by another name (minus the automatic qualifiers)?

It just makes much more sense to do the brackets as to what they would look like if the NCAA tournament was held today, because then there's at least valuable information as to who's in and who's out, who's got what seeding etc., versus simply reading one guy's opinion on the future.

davekay1971
01-23-2009, 04:25 AM
This is all just mental masturbation.

Not sure if I can post that and get away with it, but it's 4:30 in the morning, so why not? :D

jv001
01-23-2009, 08:00 AM
Maybe Georgetown should have a 4 seed or even lower. Beaten again last night. Go Duke!

rockymtn devil
01-23-2009, 09:31 AM
Im also kind of offended by the Big 10 getting 7 teams, to the ACCs 6.

On top of the ACC deserving another there's the ACC Big10 Challenge...

For starters, I wouldn't get offended over January seed projections (or actual seedings). Second, your post assumes it comes down to ACC vs. B10. It doesn't. It is true that the ACC is the better conference. But that doesn't dictate that a) the ACC deserves more bids than the B10 (which will get mid-level seeds) or that the B10 isn't taking bids from other conferences. The SEC looks like a 2 team conference right now. The 2-4 other bids that it would get in a normal season need to be dispersed, possibly to the B10. The B10, while not super strong at the top, has a lot of teams that should be seeded from 4-10--MSU, Purdue, Illinois, Minnesota, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin. As of right now, at least five of these teams should be in and possibly all seven. I expect Ohio State to fade and not make the tournament. But if they keep it up, it'll be hard to keep them out with wins over Notre Dame and Butler. Likewise for Michigan, who beat Duke

feldspar
01-23-2009, 10:45 AM
Feldspar is back and he is getting fired up about seeding projections in January for a tournament 2 months away.

Let's focus on the Maryland game...

LOL.

"Focus" on the Maryland game? Seriously? Why would I have any need to "focus" on the Maryland game?

And I'm hardly fired up. You'll know when I'm fired up.

shadowfax336
01-23-2009, 11:47 PM
I doubt that it's a coincidence that this bracketologist has given Duke not so much a tough draw - though it probably would be that - but an irritating one, in that (a) Duke would perhaps/probably face a revenge-minded G'town in Sweet 16, then (b) a "family" opponent in Elite 8: Capel/Okla, Boateng/Sendek/Az St, or Brey/ND.

I wonder whether the NCAA and CBS will try to arrange these slightly awkward match-ups. I'd bet anything if Harvard somehow wins the Ivy instead of Cornell, it'll be Duke-Harvard in 1st rd.

Also, I sure hope, come the Ides of March, Davidson deserves and gets a 6/7 seed rather than an 8/9.

I'm betting that it actually is a complete coincidence. There's a lot of stuff that goes into making these brackets (there are rules about conference teams playing each other and stuff). Its not like they sit around trying to make cool matchups. And this is even more true of the NCAA and CBS. They don't try to "arrange matchups" There are articles every year debunking this type of thing...