PDA

View Full Version : Dunk of the Year

blazindw
01-22-2009, 11:22 AM
I considered this On-Topic since it deals with College BBall, but check out this dunk by Jarret Johnson of Anderson University in South Carolina. Probably the dunk of the year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiRws-8H-9k

And yes, this is real. It was on Sportscenter two days in a row.

RainingThrees
01-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Whats very impressive is that he is only 6'2" tall.

CameronBornAndBred
01-22-2009, 01:40 PM
Whats very impressive is that he is only 6'2" tall.
Doesn't matter when you use your defender as a step-ladder.

nyr484
01-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Doesn't matter when you use your defender as a step-ladder.

Haha... I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't it look like he propelled himself off the defender's shoulder with his knee? Crazy. Should that be called a foul? I have no idea...

BD80
01-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Haha... I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't it look like he propelled himself off the defender's shoulder with his knee? Crazy. Should that be called a foul? I have no idea...

So the call would be traveling, not charging? Unless there is a call for climbing.

JDev
01-22-2009, 02:25 PM
So the call would be traveling, not charging? Unless there is a call for climbing.

It looks as if he got the hoop and the harm. The guy who was posterized looks puzzled at the call and then seems to pick himself up and reluctantly walk to his spot for the ensuing free throw.

Rudy
01-22-2009, 02:42 PM
How do you like Johnson's punk teammate who thought it would be cool to put his face in the defender's just before the timeout?

Mr Blue Devil
01-22-2009, 03:02 PM
Very impressive, but to me that looks like a charge.

Not taking away from the dunker but when the defender does absolutely nothing to stop you, it makes it a lot easier.

Same with Green's dunk over Paulus last year. All the UNC fans went crazy. None seemed to realize Paulus just simply stood there attempting to take a charge.

FireOgilvie
01-22-2009, 04:27 PM
I saw this earlier. People that were there said it wasn't actually a dunk. He threw the ball into the basket from a foot or more away. Look at where he lands... the angle is deceiving.

Wander
01-22-2009, 05:28 PM
You can definitely see the dude's trajectory change suddenly - no question he used the other guy as a stepladder. Awesome.

Also gotta love the celebration after - the whole game just stops, one of the guy's teammates goes around giving high fives to fans, etc

Carlos
01-22-2009, 05:43 PM
A better view of him pushing off the defender's shoulder:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agenl3kuWsI&feature=related

Oriole Way
01-22-2009, 05:49 PM
The highlight for me was watching the midget go nuts on the bench.

CarterTheGreat
01-22-2009, 06:18 PM
That is 100% a charge. And what is worse is the way everyone reacts. Yeah, it looked cool but act like you've been there before punks.

rthomas
01-22-2009, 06:25 PM
I think I would have given that dude a forearm shiver to his chest and taken the foul. What can I say, I'm a Steeler fan.

Hancock 4 Duke
04-22-2009, 05:53 PM
That is just about 4 miles from my house. AMAZING DUNK!

dukestheheat
04-22-2009, 06:00 PM
I'm actually not sure that that is a legal dunk after all; clearly, he steps on the guys left upper body/shoulder and continues his elevation/hang time so he can paint that picture. A beautiful shot overall but I wonder if the bucket counted?

dth.

johaad
04-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Does anyone think this dunk is better than Henderson's against Maryland? I'm sure I'm somewhat biased, but that Henderson dunk was sick.

dukestheheat
04-22-2009, 06:04 PM
^^^^^

IS this actually a legal dunk, after all? He uses the dude as a step-stool to get up and stay up. Is that allowed?

dth.

jkidd31
04-22-2009, 06:05 PM
To me the defender looks like he's set, then he shuffles he feet to move to draw the contact. And there is no way he climb up the guy, the way his feet were he would have toppled himself over.

j(ay)mike
04-22-2009, 06:51 PM
ok seriously - why is everyone here hating on this dunk?

who cares if it was a charge? that was insane... :eek:

DukieBoy
04-22-2009, 08:36 PM
To me the defender looks like he's set, then he shuffles he feet to move to draw the contact. And there is no way he climb up the guy, the way his feet were he would have toppled himself over.

First, I remember seeing this dunk on Sportscenter and I went crazy. It was a super sick dunk.

The only justification I can give on the blocking/charge is this. His feet were set, but if you watch it, he straightens his body up as the players comes at him. I'm not sure if that has any affect on charge/block, but in real time, a ref will likely take that as his body still moving and think blocking foul.

Also, I have seen YouTube videos before where, on a fast break, a player gets down on his hands and knees and another player jumps off of him to dunk it. That might have been a special scenario, but this would be no different than then.

Regardless, that was an insane dunk.

Duke #33
04-23-2009, 12:23 AM
Ouch! That guys shoulder must be hurting after getting used as a launching pad. :D

verga
04-23-2009, 12:52 AM
the dunk is the most boring of plays in basketball, also one day the dunker is gonna get coldcocked by the dunkee for getting in his face. The dunker in this case did not but his classless teammate did. Its all show, as John Wooden says" they are great athletes today but i just don't care for the showboating", i echo that.