PDA

View Full Version : Elliot Williams

dukejunkie
01-20-2009, 10:48 PM
Haven't seen him get much time and was wondering if this was injury related? He finally seemed to get it a couple of weeks ago and now he is nowhere to be found.

jv001
01-20-2009, 10:50 PM
Haven't seen him get much time and was wondering if this was injury related? He finally seemed to get it a couple of weeks ago and now he is nowhere to be found.

Was kind of funny that he did not get any mins. Sick? Doghouse? Hope he gets some time against the twerps. Go Duke!

Jumbo
01-20-2009, 10:56 PM
He's caught in a perimeter logjam and just hasn't earned more playing time yet. He's a freshman -- give him time.

jv001
01-20-2009, 10:59 PM
He's caught in a perimeter logjam and just hasn't earned more playing time yet. He's a freshman -- give him time.

Good to hear he's not sick or injured. Go Duke!

elvis14
01-20-2009, 11:04 PM

I scoured the internet, newspapers, magazines and several posters from last years SI Swimsuit issue and I found the answer. It turns out tht E-Will's a freshman on a good, deep, team :D

ldavid1
01-21-2009, 11:08 AM
does anyone know how Elliott is reacting to spending most of his time on the bench? I would hate to see his talent wasted by him transferring to another school. It's gotta be a hard transition from superstar hs athlete to benchwarmer.

quickgtp
01-21-2009, 11:13 AM
does anyone know how Elliott is reacting to spending most of his time on the bench? I would hate to see his talent wasted by him transferring to another school. It's gotta be a hard transition from superstar hs athlete to benchwarmer.

I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone on the inside know how he is handling this sitauation? I would hate to see losing a kid of this talent level because of lack of PT...

I don't want to start rumors or anything, I am simply concerned :)

Indoor66
01-21-2009, 11:19 AM
I was wondering the same thing. Does anyone on the inside know how he is handling this sitauation? I would hate to see losing a kid of this talent level because of lack of PT...

...and your solution would be? Do you think K should play someone who is not ready to play?

Skitzle
01-21-2009, 11:22 AM
Marty played 3 min.

So there are minutes out there for the 5th Guard. Looks like Marty is just earning them over EWill.

That's good news in a lot of respects.

quickgtp
01-21-2009, 11:39 AM
...and your solution would be? Do you think K should play someone who is not ready to play?

If I had a solution I would have offered it. Actually I think I was asking a question wasn't I?

jimsumner
01-21-2009, 12:15 PM
"It's gotta be a hard transition from superstar hs athlete to benchwarmer."

A transition that countless football, basketball, baseball, soccer, lacrosse, volleyball, field hockey et. al. athletes manage to make every single year.

Devilsfan
01-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Give it time, it took four years for someone to realize David was one hell of a defensive player!

Ignatius07
01-21-2009, 12:27 PM
Give it time, it took four years for someone to realize David was one hell of a defensive player!

I think the concern with Elliot is not so much that he is developing slowly but more than he may become frustrated with his situation and transfer. McClure, while a very good player, never had the potential Elliot seems to, so there would never be the same amount of hand-wringing.

Maybe there is a perimeter logjam. But I don't see how he couldn't have added anything yesterday, when the perimeter (outside of Henderson) wasn't exactly lighting it up for much of the game. We can all say we trust K all we want, but we've seen in the past quite a few times he hasn't been able to keep bench players happy (see: King, Boateng, Boykin, Thompson, et al).

JasonEvans
01-21-2009, 01:00 PM
We can all say we trust K all we want, but we've seen in the past quite a few times he hasn't been able to keep bench players happy (see: King, Boateng, Boykin, Thompson, et al).

It is worth noting that the number of players who have transferred from Duke and turned into really good players at their new school is remarkably low. Some of them contribute (like Boykin is doing on a decent but not all that good Cal team), but it is not like many of them go on to be All-Conference performers.

Aside from Billy McCaffrey, are there any who went on to have big-time careers after leaving Duke?

If you are good enough to be a pro prospect and a major player on a good team then you are probably good enough to get minutes and contribute in a significant fashion at Duke.

Even if EWill's minutes are somewhat scarce this season, I am betting that he will be a major factor for Duke next season. There are always rumblings about freshmen transferring. The number who actually leave is quite small.

--Jason "anyone else recall the talk that Nolan would leave at this time last year? Never happened" Evans

jimsumner
01-21-2009, 01:07 PM
"Aside from Billy McCaffrey, are there any who went on to have big-time careers after leaving Duke?"

Depends on how you define the term. Many players had good careers at lower levels, i.e. Greg Wendt (Detroit), Christian Ast (American), Crawford Palmer (Dartmouth), and Joey Beard (Boston).

Chris Burgess had one good season at Utah before having major back problems. Michael Thompson had one decent semester at Northwestern. Bill Jackman had a spotty career at Nebraska, Andre Sweet got PT at Seton Hall, Mike Chappell was a reserve on a title team at Michigan State.

Boykin is doing quite well for himself, Eric Boateng not so much.

I'm pretty sure this is all academic. I expect Williams to get PT down the stretch this season and a lot of PT next season.

Rich
01-21-2009, 01:08 PM
Jason "anyone else recall the talk that Nolan would leave at this time last year? Never happened" Evans

While it is true that it never happened, it was pretty widely reported that Nolan was, in fact, considering leaving and it took a conversation with Coach K in the off season where K assured him he would be playing a bigger role this season to keep him in Durham. I'm not sure the details of those conversations were ever made public, but one could assume they discussed him taking/earning the starting point job with Paulus coming off the bench.

Tim1515
01-21-2009, 01:18 PM
I have no doubts that Nolan's situation last year will help Elliot this off-season. Nolan had more of a chip on his shoulder then Elliot does now. He admitted earlier this season that he was blaming everyone else for not playing last year and realized he needed to look at himself.

Minutes will be available for Elliot next year. Greg is gone and every game brings the possibility that Gerald could go pro. Elliot seems like the type of kid that will bust his tail in the off-season and get at least 15 mpg next season.

That being said...i'd absolutely like to see him get some minutes every game.

Mike Corey
01-21-2009, 01:20 PM
As a fan base, I think we're now pre-empting the transfer talk because we're so petrified that we're going to lose players to other schools if we presume they might be unhappy.

Let's enjoy the ride, and assume that the players we so enjoy watching are doing the same until we have reason to believe otherwise.

hustleplays
01-21-2009, 02:56 PM
I logged in because I also wondered why E Williams didn't play at all. First, my obligatory, sincere, and fully deserved kudos for Coach K. Ok, that done, after having read the thread, I still have concluded -- I know that this is late-breaking news -- that Coach K's use of and development of his bench is not one of his greatest strengths. Sure, Williams is a frosh, but he is a superb athlete, practices with/against the #2 team in the country on a daily basis and often makes brilliant contributions. Yes, he also makes mistakes, but playing more helps. Yesterday, Scheyer and Singler weren't playing well in the first half, and the whole team, minus G, seemed out of kilter. Plus, as many observed, NCS has a quick team, and they were playing good D. Williams can do what G does -- not as well yet, of course -- and that is slash to the basket, create some points and disruption. I can see why superb athletes chafe when they don't get to play, knowing they could be playing elsewhere for some very good teams. I love Duke and all that but there are many top teams where I bet Williams would be playing more and developing faster.

roywhite
01-21-2009, 03:07 PM
FWIW, seems like this time of year (late January) is often a low point for freshmen, or at least freshmen playing at Duke. It's well into a long season, they're realizing how difficult the competition is (both on the team and in the conference), they're struggling with some area of their game and confidence is low.

Most work through it; in fact, many often step up so that by season end or ACC tournament time, they get more playing time and are "no longer freshmen".

Hang in there, EWill.

JasonEvans
01-21-2009, 03:30 PM
I can see why superb athletes chafe when they don't get to play, knowing they could be playing elsewhere for some very good teams. I love Duke and all that but there are many top teams where I bet Williams would be playing more and developing faster.

Because playing time in games = development. Everyone knows that. :rolleyes:

Go ahead and name me a top team upon which EWill would be getting major minutes. Nevermind, I'll do it for you ;)

#1) Wake Forest - a huge backcourt logjam with Teague, Williams, Hale, and Ish Smith all demanding minutes. No way a freshman EWill would muscle minutes away from those guys.

#2) Duke - situation here is a given.

#3) UConn - Dyson, Price, and Austrie are all Jrs or Srs who play a lot and have gobs of experience. The only freshman getting backcourt time there is Kemba Walker, who was ranked well ahead of EWill coming out of high school.

#4) Pitt - no way he is playing ahead of Young, Fields, or Dixon. But, I could see EWill as a key reserve ahead of either Brown, Wannamaker, or Gibbs. He MIGHT be in a slightly better situation (from a playing time perspective) at Pitt than at Duke. Of course, he would be at Pitt not Duke, which would suck for him ;)

#5) UNC - Would EWill be ahead of Will Graves? I suppose it is possible. UNC plays more of their bench than many other top teams so I can see EWill getting more minutes there, but he sure would not be getting key minutes. Also, if Ginyard was not hurt, I doubt Graves (or EWill) would be playing very much at all. Took some bad luck for Ginyard to get Graves in the rotation.

I could go on but do not want to spend the time. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a national title contender upon which EWill would be more than a 8th man sorta role player... which is what he has been at Duke up until last night (and who knows if last night was an aberration or a trend?).

--Jason "sorry, don't mean to slap around a first-time poster but the rule on the DBR is BRING IT HARD AND SPEAK THE TRUTH!! ;) " Evans

pfrduke
01-21-2009, 05:15 PM
I love Duke and all that but there are many top teams where I bet Williams would be playing more and developing faster.

Or, if he's not ready to play, he could be playing more and reinforcing bad habits, or killing his confidence with poor play. Playing more in a game does not always equal developing faster.

There's a line between letting guys play through and learn from mistakes and stopping them from repeating the same mistakes over and over. I think we all recognize that, where younger players are concerned, Coach K pushes that line closer to stopping repeated mistakes, for better or for worse.

And I'm not worried about him past this year. We lose two players ahead of him in the rotation - Paulus and McClure. Both those players either play minutes at the 2 or 3 or push guys like Smith into minutes at the 2 or 3. That's roughly 20-30 available minutes per game that will be his to lose next season (and that number obviously only increases if Henderson departs early).

Saratoga2
01-21-2009, 07:30 PM
I logged in because I also wondered why E Williams didn't play at all. First, my obligatory, sincere, and fully deserved kudos for Coach K. Ok, that done, after having read the thread, I still have concluded -- I know that this is late-breaking news -- that Coach K's use of and development of his bench is not one of his greatest strengths. Sure, Williams is a frosh, but he is a superb athlete, practices with/against the #2 team in the country on a daily basis and often makes brilliant contributions. Yes, he also makes mistakes, but playing more helps. Yesterday, Scheyer and Singler weren't playing well in the first half, and the whole team, minus G, seemed out of kilter. Plus, as many observed, NCS has a quick team, and they were playing good D. Williams can do what G does -- not as well yet, of course -- and that is slash to the basket, create some points and disruption. I can see why superb athletes chafe when they don't get to play, knowing they could be playing elsewhere for some very good teams. I love Duke and all that but there are many top teams where I bet Williams would be playing more and developing faster.

Williams has done some things quite well when given a chance. Of course he makes mistakes, but I see him as a valuable substitute who should be getting some PT. Yhe puzzle is why he is not. Injury, dog house, poor practice?

roywhite
01-21-2009, 07:42 PM
Williams has done some things quite well when given a chance. Of course he makes mistakes, but I see him as a valuable substitute who should be getting some PT. Yhe puzzle is why he is not. Injury, dog house, poor practice?

I like EWill and think he will be a good player at Duke.

Year-to-date:
38.5% FG shooting
10.0% 3-pt shooting
56.3% FT shooting
9 asst/17 turnovers

33 rebounds and 8 steals in limited minutes are positives.

On defense, he looks very good some times, but seems to lose his man some times.

So, he hasn't been very productive so far; extra minutes for him would have to come from someone else, who may be more productive; why do that?

He'll get additional opportunities and if he performs well, will then get more time. But I don't see a strong case for more minutes based on production.

JasonEvans
01-21-2009, 07:58 PM

Year-to-date:
38.5% FG shooting
10.0% 3-pt shooting
56.3% FT shooting
9 asst/17 turnovers

On defense, he looks very good some times, but seems to lose his man some times.

So, he hasn't been very productive so far; extra minutes for him would have to come from someone else, who may be more productive; why do that?

He'll get additional opportunities and if he performs well, will then get more time. But I don't see a strong case for more minutes based on production.

I am going to have to ask you to please stop using facts in this thread. They make it oh so difficult to argue.

--Jason " ;) " Evans

DukieInBrasil
01-21-2009, 08:28 PM
speaking of another Williams, Shelden Williams of Sacramento. Where is he? He seems to have disappeared from the SAC rotation, he doesn´t show up in the box at all, indicating that he is not on the active roster. Anyone got news?

willywoody
01-21-2009, 09:32 PM

he pouts and stomps his feet. i heard he even refused to go into a game. but a greek team is interested.

RainingThrees
01-21-2009, 09:34 PM
he pouts and stomps his feet. i heard he even refused to go into a game. but a greek team is interested.

haha. Anyone here the news that Stephon Marbury might be going overseas? I wonder who took his starting spot?

Edouble
01-21-2009, 10:49 PM

Whoah! You're really jumping all over the guy. He didn't actually say that there was a problem. He just wondered how EWill's handling his lack of PT.

Wow!:(

Edouble
01-21-2009, 10:59 PM

Go ahead and name me a top team upon which EWill would be getting major minutes. Nevermind, I'll do it for you ;)

#1) Wake Forest - a huge backcourt logjam with Teague, Williams, Hale, and Ish Smith all demanding minutes. No way a freshman EWill would muscle minutes away from those guys.

#3) UConn - Dyson, Price, and Austrie are all Jrs or Srs who play a lot and have gobs of experience. The only freshman getting backcourt time there is Kemba Walker, who was ranked well ahead of EWill coming out of high school.

#4) Pitt - no way he is playing ahead of Young, Fields, or Dixon. But, I could see EWill as a key reserve ahead of either Brown, Wannamaker, or Gibbs. He MIGHT be in a slightly better situation (from a playing time perspective) at Pitt than at Duke. Of course, he would be at Pitt not Duke, which would suck for him ;)

#5) UNC - Would EWill be ahead of Will Graves? I suppose it is possible. UNC plays more of their bench than many other top teams so I can see EWill getting more minutes there, but he sure would not be getting key minutes. Also, if Ginyard was not hurt, I doubt Graves (or EWill) would be playing very much at all. Took some bad luck for Ginyard to get Graves in the rotation.

I could go on but do not want to spend the time. I think you would be hard-pressed to find a national title contender upon which EWill would be more than a 8th man sorta role player... which is what he has been at Duke up until last night (and who knows if last night was an aberration or a trend?).

--Jason "sorry, don't mean to slap around a first-time poster but the rule on the DBR is BRING IT HARD AND SPEAK THE TRUTH!! ;) " Evans

I think it's tough to back any of this up. All we really know about EWill is that he's a lightening quick McDonald's AA who had 11 boards in an early season game. I don't think we've seen enough to say he'd get no PT on another top team. The only evidence in favor of this argument is that he's getting no PT at Duke. I don't think that's strong enough evidence.

Not to sound like Burgess' dad, but...

It does seem like freshman at Duke under Coach K are either given a nice allotment of per game minutes and carte blanche to make on court mistakes, or they are given no PT. It's clear that Ewill in in the latter group. I guess this has to do with how players do in practice. I am genuinely suprised that E is not shutting down other guards on the defensive end and making strong moves to the basket in practice though.

Jumbo
01-21-2009, 11:56 PM

He just hasn't played that well so far. Why is that so difficult to understand? Why do you feel the need to keep speculating beyond that? An 11-rebound game against a borderline D-I team here and a couple of slashing moves to the hoop there do not mean he is ready to go toe-to-toe with ACC competition on a nightly basis. Sure, he has performed well on a couple of occasions. He has also really struggled and looked lost on more occasions. This is natural, since he's a freshman.

Elliot has terrific athletic ability. He needs to tighten his handle, learn to pace himself (he often moves too fast for his own good) and improve his jumper. More than anything, he just needs a better feel for the game. He'll get there. As a certain coach likes to say, let him run his own race.

jv001
01-22-2009, 07:45 AM

Year-to-date:
38.5% FG shooting
10.0% 3-pt shooting
56.3% FT shooting
9 asst/17 turnovers

I take a look at the offensive numbers above and I have to think he's not shown improvement in those areas in practice. His on the ball defense is good and his rebounding is good, but sometimes he get's lost in Duke's defensive schemes. The kid has the talent to help this team but he must show it in practice. Go Duke!

Devilsfan
01-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Could the impatience of youth, especially in a prove you're worthy in pactice first envirorment like Duke, be the reason Kenny is a Gator? I don't think many of these High School All-Americans feel they need to repay their dues even at an elite program like we have in Durham.

Kedsy
01-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Could the impatience of youth, especially in a prove you're worthy in pactice first envirorment like Duke, be the reason Kenny is a Gator? I don't think many of these High School All-Americans feel they need to repay their dues even at an elite program like we have in Durham.

Oh, please. The top recruits all think they're going to play top minutes. In fact, most of them think they would be playing top minutes if they were allowed to go straight to the NBA. Whether they're right or not is another story, of course.

There's no way Boynton shied away from Duke because he thought he wouldn't play. Ditto for John Wall (and I'm not suggesting Wall is shying away from Duke; just saying if he decides to go elsewhere it won't be because of a playing time issue). And in both of their cases, they're probably right. Plenty of freshman play big minutes for Duke, including Singler last year, Scheyer the year before (and, to a slightly lesser extent, Henderson), Paulus the year before that. I could go on, but I won't.

buddy
01-22-2009, 09:35 AM
It's all about defense. Against G'town he was in the wrong place on three straight possessions, that led to G'town scores.

I think the comment about freshmen is misplaced. This year's team is very experienced, unlike the teams since Shelden and J.J. graduated. There are eleven guys competing for 5 spots. Kyle, G, and Jon are going to get 90 to 100 of the 200 minutes. Nolan and Greg probably split another 40 to 50. So you have 50 to 70 minutes (or less) for 6 guys. No way E-Will plays better defense than Dave right now. And while his 11 boards in one game were impressive, I really don't see him taking time from Brian, Lance, and Miles (although right now none of them are earning extended minutes) who should be getting 30 to 40 minutes between them. There's never been any secret about K's requirements to play--prove it on the defensive end of the floor, and earn it in practice. I actually think Maryland might be a good spot for E-Will. They are not as big as NCSU, and probably will play uptempo, if they can.

jv001
01-22-2009, 09:37 AM
speaking of another Williams, Shelden Williams of Sacramento. Where is he? He seems to have disappeared from the SAC rotation, he doesn´t show up in the box at all, indicating that he is not on the active roster. Anyone got news?

He's spending alot of time with Mrs. Williams these days. Much more fun. GoDuke!

arnie
01-22-2009, 09:44 AM

Fair summation in my opinion. Unless he's hurt or in K's doghouse for some reason- I can't see why he wouldn't play at least a few minutes in each game. The idea that he doesn't play during the regular season because he's a freshman doesn't seem to work these days - particularly with great athletes
with huge potential.

ldavid1
01-22-2009, 10:13 AM
My 2 cents worth and I will leave this thread. With exception to few, the freshman year is tough to adjust to for most athletes.(nothing new here) Nerves are a big factor and I really believe that is the case for Elliott. My philosophy would be to play those freshmen that indeed are impact players 10+ min/game up until the ACC competition starts. If they haven't adjusted to the game by then this conversation wouldn't even take place. There will come a time this season when we will need players like Elliott and Miles and it would be nice for them to come in with more game experience than they have now. That said, K is the hall of famer and I am a washed up ex-athlete. I believe he knows what he is doing.

tbyers11
01-22-2009, 10:28 AM
Fair summation in my opinion. Unless he's hurt or in K's doghouse for some reason- I can't see why he wouldn't play at least a few minutes in each game. The idea that he doesn't play during the regular season because he's a freshman doesn't seem to work these days - particularly with great athletes
with huge potential.

First, I think the Coach K's mythical doghouse that keeps getting brought up is a lot smaller than some people think. I'm not saying that it doesn't exist (see Newton, Greg), but I think it takes a lot more than a couple of missed defensive assignments or turnovers to achieve doghouse status.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think the comments above by Jumbo and buddy really hit the nail on the head. Elliot has vast potential and athletic ability but his lack of playing time isn't due to him being a freshman. It is due to being a freshman that frequently looks lost on defense and overly anxious on offense particularly against stronger competition. The luxury of quality depth and the deepest Duke team since 1998 or 1999 doesn't allow Elliot to play through his mistakes on the court like several notable stud freshman have been able to (JWill, Boozer, Paulus, McRoberts, JJ and Shelden quickly come to mind).

I think Elliot's time will come and he will contribute quality minutes in games this year, but he doesn't get playing time just because he is extremely athletic and has that unquantifiable potential. His play in recent games has been lacking but I don't think there is any reason that he couldn't contribute quality minutes against Maryland or Wake in the next couple of games.

Edouble
01-22-2009, 12:12 PM
It's all about defense. Against G'town he was in the wrong place on three straight possessions, that led to G'town scores.

Dang, I wish I'd seen the first half of the Georgetown game.

diveonthefloor
01-25-2009, 09:07 AM
E Mail had a really nice game vs Maryland.

Assertive and efficient on the offensive end, even handling the point.
That step back 3 pointer after running the entire shot clock was a thing of beauty.

If anyone was listening to Coach K and Bob Harris on the immediate post game interview, K singled out Elliot with some nice praise after the game.

I think we'll be seeing a little more of E Mail over the next several games.

ChicagoCrazy84
01-25-2009, 11:00 AM
Yup, nice game from EWill. Heck, he even played more minutes than Dave McCLure. He is a good player, he'll see his minutes creep up if he plays like that. Besides, don't you think that Elliot would have known what he was getting into at Duke when he committed? He knew he wasn't going to be taking minutes from G or Scheyer. I am sure he was expecting 10-15 min. like he got last night, but the fact that he hasn't, I think he can only blame himself. He simply has not played well when gotten in the games. Give the kid time, he'll start to earn it.

diveonthefloor
01-25-2009, 11:43 AM
The transition for EMail from St George's in Collierville, TN certainly presents a challenge, actually more on the basketball side than the academic side.

St George's is an academically rigorous school (Elliot was an A student), but plays in the "small school" division in Tennessee. The competition EMail is now encountering is a significant step up. In my opinion (and apparently Coach K's given his comments yesterday), Elliot is progressing according to Coach's expectations.

One thing Coach wants Elliot to work on is turning his body into the defender as he attacks the basket...drawing the foul while protecting the ball for an "and 1". This is something EMail rarely needed to do in high school. He will learn and he will be deadly for opponents.

I ran into Johnny Dawkins last year while he was recruiting Elliot. Johnny mentioned that he sees a lot of himself in Elliot and thinks Elliot can be as good or better than he (Johnny) was. I am licking my chops at the prospect of watching EMail develop over the next few years.

Jumbo
01-25-2009, 04:54 PM
E Mail had a really nice game vs Maryland.

Assertive and efficient on the offensive end, even handling the point.
That step back 3 pointer after running the entire shot clock was a thing of beauty.

If anyone was listening to Coach K and Bob Harris on the immediate post game interview, K singled out Elliot with some nice praise after the game.

I think we'll be seeing a little more of E Mail over the next several games.

I thought he showed some positive signs, but also showed why he's not a part of the regular rotation. We know that his jumper isn't consistent yet and his handle isn't tight. But there are two larger issues that are hampering Williams right now. First, his awareness is not where it needs to be. On a number of occasions, Paulus motioned for a play and he didn't seem to know where to go until someone else got his attention. That's common for a freshman, of course, but it's tough to play cohesive basketball when someone isn't sure of his job. Secondly, he hasn't yet realized that he needs to slow down. Every move he makes is at full speed, and he gets himself in trouble. He's so fast and jumps so well that athleticism is never an issue. But he needs to set himself to make plays, and that means actually going slower. These are nuances of the game that players acquire with time. I'm confident that by next season, when Duke will really Williams, he'll have improved in those areas.

dukelifer
01-25-2009, 05:01 PM
I thought he showed some positive signs, but also showed why he's not a part of the regular rotation. We know that his jumper isn't consistent yet and his handle isn't tight. But there are two larger issues that are hampering Williams right now. First, his awareness is not where it needs to be. On a number of occasions, Paulus motioned for a play and he didn't seem to know where to go until someone else got his attention. That's common for a freshman, of course, but it's tough to play cohesive basketball when someone isn't sure of his job. Secondly, he hasn't yet realized that he needs to slow down. Every move he makes is at full speed, and he gets himself in trouble. He's so fast and jumps so well that athleticism is never an issue. But he needs to set himself to make plays, and that means actually going slower. These are nuances of the game that players acquire with time. I'm confident that by next season, when Duke will really Williams, he'll have improved in those areas.

While Williams mostly played in garbage time, you do see flashes of what will come in time. For the first time, we even saw a nicer looking stroke on his three. I agree, he will be much better and more consistent next year, but there will be a game this year where he will need to step in for one reason or another and he will have a big game for Duke. Somehow that always seems to happen.

Saratoga2
01-25-2009, 05:03 PM

I think we need him this year as a strong backup to Henderson/Scheyer. Getting 10 to 15 minutes from him now would help the team. He still has a lot to learn, but he also has the assets to be a solid backup player now.

jimmymax
01-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Potential is tremendous. Nickname (Email) is lame. Let's hope both improve a lot in the next few months.

Jumbo
01-25-2009, 07:05 PM
I think we need him this year as a strong backup to Henderson/Scheyer. Getting 10 to 15 minutes from him now would help the team. He still has a lot to learn, but he also has the assets to be a solid backup player now.

Somehow we've managed to ascend to the top ranking in the land without his giving us 10-15 minutes against good teams, so I'm not sure about the "need" part. It would be great if he improved to the point where we had no choice but to give him more minutes. But right now, Duke doesn't "need" that. We have a terrific trio of starting perimeter players. Paulus is getting back on track, is a capable backup to Smith and can play alongside him. And Dave McClure has been absolutely crucial as a defensive player on the wing. To say that we "need" Williams is to imply that we're not getting enough out of the combination of Smith, Scheyer, Henderson, Paulus and McClure. I don't believe that's the case.

Diddy
01-25-2009, 07:21 PM
This is repetive from another thread, but I really see a lot of Gerald in Eliot. When EW got to Duke, he, much like G, simply was not ready for a heavy dose of minutes. For Gerald, it was injury/conditioning, as well as the fact that his skills needed refinement. For E-Will, his conditioning is fine, but his skills are even rawer than Hendo's were. Which is understandable. When you are as athletic as these guys, against small HS comp, your skills don't need to be that great.

And that is a comparative assesment. Compared to 95% of humanity, their skills are off the chart. Compared to college ballers, their skills are/were raw.

But I think EW progresses much like Hendo did. Next year he will show more flashes of greatness. He will also make some boneheaded plays and disappear some games. But we will definitely see solid improvement accross the board for EW.

Should Gerald return or Wall commit, I expect EW to again be a key reserve on the perimeter. His athleticism and D will get him on the floor both next year and this year against tougher teams.

But in 2 years, I expect him to have a Gerald like influence on the game. They say you can't teach height, and that is true. You also can't teach raw athleticism, and EW, like Hendo, has it in SPADES. He is a little skinny now, but he looks bigger now than when the season started, and I anticipate that continuing next summer. His body will be "ready" next year. His skills will get better also.

I think he has improved his skillset more than anybody on the team [assuming that Hendo just had to get into the flow] since the begining of the year. It is not natural to him, as yet, as Jumbo correctly pointed out. But it is getting there. And that is why I am so optimistic about this kid. He is improving, IN-SEASON. His summer leap will be tremendous.

Overall, I would say that EW's skills are even rawer than Hendo's were as a frosh. But EW is better on D than Hendo as a Frosh. And that will get him on the court. Though our O isn't great, we haved enough scorers to get the job done. If EW can play solid D for 10+ mpg most nights, he will be a big help. Especially against the top teams like WFU and UNC. His O is a detriment, but those teams don't play great D.

Against a team like Pitt, whose D is also stifling, EW might not play as much because a great D team like Pitt, and Duke, can attack a weak link and turn a players weak O into points via turnovers.

I love EW's progression. It just goes up. He will be a great one at Duke in 3-4 years.

DukeBlood
01-25-2009, 07:45 PM
His athleticism and D will get him on the floor both next year and this year against tougher teams.

I agree with everything you said except his athleticism and D will get him on the floor this year.

He played seven solid minutes against FSU, A team Greg doesn't match up well against. Other then that he is averaging about 4 MPG against ACC teams. I just don't see him getting more then 10MPG unless its a blowout.

I hope he proves me wrong, because that means he is playing at the level of our Guards/Wings or better then. Be patient if he doesn't play major minutes next year. He will be good, but when?... Patience. We don't need him to be great juts yet.

greybeard
01-26-2009, 12:26 AM
I see him much more like Scheyer then Henderson. Much more. In fact, I think he'd like to run the show. I looked at clips of him in high school, I saw what you guys mean by his rawness, but I also saw a guy who likes to lead and has the ability to. I can understand why Dawkins said what he did.

devildownunder
01-26-2009, 12:44 AM
I think it's tough to back any of this up. All we really know about EWill is that he's a lightening quick McDonald's AA who had 11 boards in an early season game. I don't think we've seen enough to say he'd get no PT on another top team. The only evidence in favor of this argument is that he's getting no PT at Duke. I don't think that's strong enough evidence.

Not to sound like Burgess' dad, but...

It does seem like freshman at Duke under Coach K are either given a nice allotment of per game minutes and carte blanche to make on court mistakes, or they are given no PT. It's clear that Ewill in in the latter group. I guess this has to do with how players do in practice. I am genuinely suprised that E is not shutting down other guards on the defensive end and making strong moves to the basket in practice though.

First, I should say that I haven't been to any practices.

OK, now, the looooong history of anecdotal evidence regarding rookies/freshmen performing in practice suggests that it is highly unlikely that young Mr Williams is schooling any of the veteran guards in practice, especially by shutting them down defensively. And if he were, I have to believe he'd be getting lots of playing time.

Email is a great talent but he is also very raw. I would expect a large jump in his minutes and his production next year. The fact that he's getting any minutes at all in ACC games shows something because this is the time of year when the bench starts to get short.

devildownunder
01-26-2009, 12:48 AM

Well, development certainly WON'T happen without any playing time in games. I don't care if a guy plays with the starting unit the entire time in practice every day, until he gets out there for real, he's not developing anything but an ego because he hasn't actually DONE anything yet. As for the rest, it's really difficult to determine what he'd be doing anywhere else because he's not there.

FireOgilvie
01-26-2009, 12:50 AM
I see him much more like Scheyer then Henderson. Much more. In fact, I think he'd like to run the show. I looked at clips of him in high school, I saw what you guys mean by his rawness, but I also saw a guy who likes to lead and has the ability to. I can understand why Dawkins said what he did.

Maybe in the future... I don't see it. I can definitely understand the Henderson comparisons.

Scheyer just "got it" from the very beginning. He has a natural sense for the game that I don't see from anyone else on the team except maybe Singler. Scheyer came in his freshman year and averaged 12 points a game (on a much worse team, but still)... he had 26 against UNC.

Williams looks completely lost at times.

devildownunder
01-26-2009, 12:53 AM
Potential is tremendous. Nickname (Email) is lame. Let's hope both improve a lot in the next few months.

Actually, I kind of like Email, for 2 reasons.

1) I think it's catchy.
2) It's the first sports nickname in my memory that references the internet universe.

greybeard
01-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Maybe in the future... I don't see it. I can definitely understand the Henderson comparisons.

Scheyer just "got it" from the very beginning. He has a natural sense for the game that I don't see from anyone else on the team except maybe Singler. Scheyer came in his freshman year and averaged 12 points a game (on a much worse team, but still)... he had 26 against UNC.

Williams looks completely lost at times.

What I see in EWill is that he seems to maybe feel most comfortable with the ball at the top and with the authority, mandate to create.

What perhaps he doesn't "get" is an approach to the game that is more confined to catch it and score, aka Gerald, ergo he appears lost.

With either Smith or Paulus on the floor, and Scheyer and/or Singler also, when Williams is on the floor there is no room for another "leader" type.

Jumbo mentioned that Paulus had to wave Williams away when he was out near the midcourt on the right side (a spot that they often get the ball to Scheyer from which Scheyer creates for himself or others off a high screen.) Maybe EWill was less lost at that moment than he seemed. Maybe Paulus was saying, "Wait your turn kid."

Channing
01-26-2009, 11:07 AM
Actually, I kind of like Email, for 2 reasons.

1) I think it's catchy.
2) It's the first sports nickname in my memory that references the internet universe.

along those lines, have the crazies resurrected the old J-Wil chant for E-Wil (from the Queen song - We Will Rock You)?

I would love to hear "E-WILL, E-WILL ROCK YOU, ROCK YOU"

Jumbo
01-26-2009, 11:27 AM
Well, development certainly WON'T happen without any playing time in games. I don't care if a guy plays with the starting unit the entire time in practice every day, until he gets out there for real, he's not developing anything but an ego because he hasn't actually DONE anything yet. As for the rest, it's really difficult to determine what he'd be doing anywhere else because he's not there.

Here we go again ...

Jumbo
01-26-2009, 11:32 AM
What I see in EWill is that he seems to maybe feel most comfortable with the ball at the top and with the authority, mandate to create.

What perhaps he doesn't "get" is an approach to the game that is more confined to catch it and score, aka Gerald, ergo he appears lost.

With either Smith or Paulus on the floor, and Scheyer and/or Singler also, when Williams is on the floor there is no room for another "leader" type.

Jumbo mentioned that Paulus had to wave Williams away when he was out near the midcourt on the right side (a spot that they often get the ball to Scheyer from which Scheyer creates for himself or others off a high screen.) Maybe EWill was less lost at that moment than he seemed. Maybe Paulus was saying, "Wait your turn kid."

Nope, that's not what happened. Paulus gave the "tap your head" signal, which puts us in our elbow/high 1-4 set. The 2 and the 3 are supposed to set up on the wings in that set. Elliot was running around near the lane with his head turned until the guy at the elbow (Plumlee?) got his attention and pointed to the wing. Elliot then got in the right place so Duke could run a play.

That had nothing to do with a natural tendency to want the ball at the top of the key. That's just not knowing the offense, pure and simple. I don't see any similarities between Scheyer and Williams for that matter, largely because I think Scheyer's game has always been based on vision, and that's one of Elliot's weakest attributes.

-bdbd
01-26-2009, 01:27 PM
EMail will get his chance, and fairly soon I think. You can clearly see the raw ability, and the potential. And by all accounts he's a smart, "good egg" sort of kid. I'll predict he's going to have some real impact in at least a couple important games down the stretch.

I expect that he'll get a serious shot at starting next year, and likely WILL start his Jr-Senior years. As for 09-10, it is certainly possible that we start - esp if Hendo goes - a backcourt of Smith, Scheyer and EMail. Assuming Singler is still here, the front court would be Kyle and either Zoubs, or Lance, or a Plumlee or Kelly. Probably more likely that EMail becomes our top guard back-up and logs in the neighborhood of 20 minutes. Not bad on a team that will possibly be a preseason #1, and certainly top-5.

-BDBD :cool:

weezie
01-26-2009, 01:32 PM
He's sure got some "hops," so I will enjoy watching him mature. Watching our defense, when it's clicking, is beautiful, isn't it? EWill is learning more every game and looks like he's itching to put it all together.
Our players are communicating on a level that other teams surely must envy.

greybeard
01-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Nope, that's not what happened. Paulus gave the "tap your head" signal, which puts us in our elbow/high 1-4 set. The 2 and the 3 are supposed to set up on the wings in that set. Elliot was running around near the lane with his head turned until the guy at the elbow (Plumlee?) got his attention and pointed to the wing. Elliot then got in the right place so Duke could run a play.

That had nothing to do with a natural tendency to want the ball at the top of the key. That's just not knowing the offense, pure and simple. I don't see any similarities between Scheyer and Williams for that matter, largely because I think Scheyer's game has always been based on vision, and that's one of Elliot's weakest attributes.

I must be thinking of a different play, just kidding. We'll see what the kid sees when we get a chance to see it. My hunch is that EWill might end up getting some of the time that Paulus gets now. Just an old man playing a hunch; when you get to my age, what's the point of going for the logical first choice--too small a payout if I'm right. :o

I think that Plumlee rushes in the sense that he seems to rush through options in his mind rather testing the first and most direct option. Who knows?

jv001
01-26-2009, 01:45 PM
I must be thinking of a different play, just kidding. We'll see what the kid sees when we get a chance to see it. My hunch is that EWill might end up getting some of the time that Paulus gets now. Just an old man playing a hunch; when you get to my age, what's the point of going for the logical first choice--too small a payout if I'm right. :o

I think that Plumlee rushes in the sense that he seems to rush through options in his mind rather testing the first and most direct option. Who knows?

Williams definetly does not look like Jon except both are slightly built. Jon has demonstrated good savy on the BB court since he arrived at Duke. Williams has the potential to be a special player after he get's it and I don't see any reason he will not reach that potential. He does not come in with a flawed shot other than a flat freethrow arch sometimes. I agree he will get mins next year like Greg has gotten this year. Go Duke!

greybeard
01-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Williams definetly does not look like Jon except both are slightly built. Jon has demonstrated good savy on the BB court since he arrived at Duke. Williams has the potential to be a special player after he get's it and I don't see any reason he will not reach that potential. He does not come in with a flawed shot other than a flat freethrow arch sometimes. I agree he will get mins next year like Greg has gotten this year. Go Duke!

Who do you think would get Jon's minutes, if heaven forbid, he should go down? I can't see them playing with Paulus and Smith on the court at the same time much more than they do now. Marty? McClure? EWill?

Which is most likely to pick up some of the types of things that Jon currently does in terms of leadership, creating, however you call it? Can Singler do much more of that without loosing his effectiveness elsewhere? My money would be on EWill. Hopefully, the issue remains moot.

Indoor66
01-26-2009, 03:39 PM
Who do you think would get Jon's minutes, if heaven forbid, he should go down? I can't see them playing with Paulus and Smith on the court at the same time much more than they do now. Marty? McClure? EWill?

Which is most likely to pick up some of the types of things that Jon currently does in terms of leadership, creating, however you call it? Can Singler do much more of that without loosing his effectiveness elsewhere? My money would be on EWill. Hopefully, the issue remains moot.

Let's not borrow trouble.

greybeard
01-26-2009, 04:15 PM
Let's not borrow trouble.

Good point!

Hancock 4 Duke
01-30-2009, 10:11 PM
I think that Elliot Williams has future potential for being a great player, maybe even a starter in his next years. Though he still needs to improve on some or a lot of things, I see a little Nolan Smith in him, because you have seen his improvement in just one year. What do you think?

Jumbo
02-01-2009, 03:48 PM
Watching Williams today, it is painfully obvious that he still needs to gain a much better understanding of the game to contribute at this level. The term I keep using with him is "pace" -- he has to understand how to change gears and set his man up. The other issue is vision -- he is not recognizing when help comes and is just attacking the basket somewhat recklessly. Right now, it's just really hard for him to be a contributor on offense.

His D has been decent today, and I still have hope that he can improve. But he has received a heck of an opportunity against Virginia so far today, and I think some of the expectations in this thread need to be tempered.

DukeBlood
02-01-2009, 04:03 PM
Watching Williams today, it is painfully obvious that he still needs to gain a much better understanding of the game to contribute at this level. The term I keep using with him is "pace" -- he has to understand how to change gears and set his man up. The other issue is vision -- he is not recognizing when help comes and is just attacking the basket somewhat recklessly. Right now, it's just really hard for him to be a contributor on offense.

His D has been decent today, and I still have hope that he can improve. But he has received a heck of an opportunity against Virginia so far today, and I think some of the expectations in this thread need to be tempered.

While I agree some people need to slow down expectations with Mr. Williams, I dont think many people are out of line by believing he will be ready to make a steady contribution next year. By that I dont mean a breakout year where he goes off every game.

Question for you Jumbo. Do you feel he will be ready to contribute by next year? Obviously we don't know for 100%. I just have a feeling he will be coming off the bench next year much improved.

Jumbo
02-01-2009, 04:20 PM
While I agree some people need to slow down expectations with Mr. Williams, I dont think many people are out of line by believing he will be ready to make a steady contribution next year. By that I dont mean a breakout year where he goes off every game.

Question for you Jumbo. Do you feel he will be ready to contribute by next year? Obviously we don't know for 100%. I just have a feeling he will be coming off the bench next year much improved.

Oh, I was referring to the people who feel like he should be playing more this year. He still has a lot to learn.

Yes, I feel like he'll be much better next season. He'll have to be -- especially if G goes pro, which I expect to happen. But I also think people need to temper those expectations too, especially the ones who think he'll pick up where G left off. He has a long way to go.

DukeBlood
02-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Oh, I was referring to the people who feel like he should be playing more this year. He still has a lot to learn.

Yes, I feel like he'll be much better next season. He'll have to be -- especially if G goes pro, which I expect to happen. But I also think people need to temper those expectations too, especially the ones who think he'll pick up where G left off. He has a long way to go.

I like what you say EXCEPT that you see Gerald going pro. I honestly didn't think about that til now. Guess it could and probably will happen.

Jumbo
02-01-2009, 04:26 PM
I like what you say EXCEPT that you see Gerald going pro. I honestly didn't think about that til now. Guess it could and probably will happen.

Actually, I really don't like to think about that. Let's just pretend I never said it! ;)

DukeBlood
02-01-2009, 04:31 PM
Actually, I really don't like to think about that. Let's just pretend I never said it! ;)

First I gotta say something. Just for fun anyway. It looks like he is having a blast with this team, The team chemistry is great and Gerald is a big part of this year. I know its probably his dream to be in the NBA... But If he is having so much fun, He could stay :) Most likely wishful thinking.

Ok, I forget all.

taiw93
02-01-2009, 04:39 PM
The good news regarding Williams is that everything physical is already there. He hit another nice stepback 3 today, plays good D (with the potential to be a major stopper), and has a decent handle. I agree w/ everything you say, Jumbo, except for your comment on his lack of vision. I think when Elliot actually focuses, slows down, and reacts instead of thinks (which, unfortunately, does not happen too often), his vision is very good. For example, did anyone see his alley-oop to Plumlee? That took excellent vision, and an absolutely perfect pass. Once he adjusts to the speed of the game (I'll say by ACC play next year) he will be a stud.

Hancock 4 Duke
02-01-2009, 07:07 PM
This will probably make me sound like a real dope but,
Everyone named Williams that has played basketball for Duke has had there jersey # in the 20's, and had there jersey retired. Told you I would sound stupid

jimsumner
02-01-2009, 07:41 PM
"Everyone named Williams that has played basketball for Duke has had there jersey # in the 20's, and had there jersey retired. Told you I would sound stupid "

Allan Williams, 1979-1982
Weldon Williams, 1982-1986.

WojoSay?
02-01-2009, 08:07 PM
"Everyone named Williams that has played basketball for Duke has had there jersey # in the 20's, and had there jersey retired. Told you I would sound stupid "

Allan Williams, 1979-1982
Weldon Williams, 1982-1986.

Ol' Jim is sick!

DU Band Prez 88
02-01-2009, 08:20 PM

I don't want to start rumors or anything, I am simply concerned :)

There are 40 minutes in a basketball game, x 5 players = 200 player minutes per game. I am not going to cut & paste the statistics for minutes/game/player (available on goduke.com), but when you look at these you will see that Kyle Singler, Gerald Henderson, John Scheyer, Nolan Smith and our combination of Zoubek/Thomas, not to mention seniors Greg Paulus and Dave McClure, simply take up the vast majority of those minutes. Whose minutes do you want to cut to give Elliot Williams more PT?

He knows that he is a freshman, & he will definitely play more next year. Don't worry about it.

watzone
02-20-2009, 08:30 PM
We are running this interview free to the public. We couldn't think of any player people were more anxious to hear from other than Elliot Williams. I know I'm encouraged by his contribution last evening.

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1813

roywhite
02-20-2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks, Mark...enjoyed the interview.

Props to Elliot; keep working hard---you can make a real difference for this team.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Thanks Mark. As always well done! See you Sunday.

RainingThrees
02-20-2009, 09:55 PM
In the limited time I've seen him he has become one of my favorite players.

OldPhiKap
02-20-2009, 10:22 PM
Great stuff, Watzone! As always.

-- OPK

dukelifer
02-21-2009, 11:26 AM
It is these sort of honest exchanges that show folks that most players are not finished products out of high school. Yes there are some phenoms- but they are very few and far between. These kids get nervous- they don't understand how to pace themselves and they have developed some bad habits that will get them in trouble against older and better players. But they do get better and practice DOES help them. Thanks for the interview.

Hancock 4 Duke
02-21-2009, 11:27 AM
I've been watching him out of high school and on the recruiting reports since the end of the All American game last year. I figured he might be pretty good. He is most definitely my favorite player for Duke.

Lord Ash
02-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Enjoyable interview. I was glad to hear he was watching Jon, and interested that Miles was wearing a white practice jersey in the photo.

Not meaning to sound... well, mean, but I do have to ask how someone would pick Elliot as a favorite Duke player as of now. We have barely seen the kid play, and we have not yet had the time to get to know him. How does someone make the decision that Elliot is their favorite Dukie over a guy like Jon or Kyle or Gerald or Dave?

CDu
02-21-2009, 08:49 PM
Enjoyable interview. I was glad to hear he was watching Jon, and interested that Miles was wearing a white practice jersey in the photo.

Not meaning to sound... well, mean, but I do have to ask how someone would pick Elliot as a favorite Duke player as of now. We have barely seen the kid play, and we have not yet had the time to get to know him. How does someone make the decision that Elliot is their favorite Dukie over a guy like Jon or Kyle or Gerald or Dave?

Note that Williams was in the blue jersey though. So either Williams is back to the reserve role and Plumlee is going to start, or perhaps there isn't much to make out of the jersey photos.

Newton_14
02-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Note that Williams was in the blue jersey though. So either Williams is back to the reserve role and Plumlee is going to start, or perhaps there isn't much to make out of the jersey photos.

I would think it likely the photo came at a point in practice when they had switched around some already, and it did not reflect the starters for the next game. Miles and Eliot are both likely getting some burn on the white team in scrimmages lately. I took it as a good sign to see Miles wearing white. At least we know he gets time on the white team in practice these days.

Some have said it is too late to work those 2 into the rotation. I disagree with that thought process. If they both have reached a point where they are improving and are ready to contribute in big games, I see it as a welcome addition. Even if it means they only get 10 to 15 minutes a game. This team can get a huge lift if these two guys are able to contribute down the stretch.

CDu
02-21-2009, 10:12 PM
I would think it likely the photo came at a point in practice when they had switched around some already, and it did not reflect the starters for the next game. Miles and Eliot are both likely getting some burn on the white team in scrimmages lately. I took it as a good sign to see Miles wearing white. At least we know he gets time on the white team in practice these days.

Some have said it is too late to work those 2 into the rotation. I disagree with that thought process. If they both have reached a point where they are improving and are ready to contribute in big games, I see it as a welcome addition. Even if it means they only get 10 to 15 minutes a game. This team can get a huge lift if these two guys are able to contribute down the stretch.

I agree that the most likely scenario is that there isn't too much to make of the jerseys, other than that both are getting some run with the first and second units in practice.

Bob Green
02-21-2009, 10:53 PM
I agree that the most likely scenario is that there isn't too much to make of the jerseys, other than that both are getting some run with the first and second units in practice.

The obvious question that needs to be asked is when was the picture taken? During practice this past week? Or, earlier in the year? Ultimately, I agree with CDu that there isn't too much to make of the jerseys.

watzone
02-23-2009, 12:39 AM
I took the pictures in December. So, not much to make out of them. I think EWill has cracked the lineup after his performance versus Wake. Those four steals were incredible.

BD80
02-23-2009, 11:05 AM
Great choice for the title of the thread, Wat. How did you know in advance that EMail would be so effective in the press? You must be psychotic or something.

JimBD
02-23-2009, 11:43 AM
Elliot has enormous athletic talent. It has been fun watching the "light bulb" turned on with Henderson this year as he has learned how to use his talent. I see the same thing starting to happen with Elliot. Here's hoping that he continues to work hard and develops his talents and has a fantastic career at Duke.

watzone
02-23-2009, 11:48 AM
Great choice for the title of the thread, Wat. How did you know in advance that EMail would be so effective in the press? You must be psychotic or something.

LOL! I prefer "or" something. It comes easy for me for whatever reason. I'm always looking ahead when possible. BTW, great photo of Nate and EWill on the front page today.

OZZIE4DUKE
02-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Elliot has enormous athletic talent. It has been fun watching the "light bulb" turned on with Henderson this year as he has learned how to use his talent. I see the same thing starting to happen with Elliot. Here's hoping that he continues to work hard and develops his talents and has a fantastic career at Duke.

LOL! I prefer "or" something. It comes easy for me for whatever reason. I'm always looking ahead when possible. BTW, great photo of Nate and EWill on the front page today.

LOL, I'm pretty sure BD80 meant psychic and not psychotic :)

G's light bulb is burning so bright now, we've all go to wear shades! And even from above the rail in Cameron, you can see Elliot's bulb turning on. His involvement with the offense now, compared to what we saw in December, the difference is stunning. Way back when, Elliot would stand open in a corner or wing, and no one would pass him the ball. When he was on the floor, we were playing 4 on 5 because he was ignored (I mentioned this back then in another thread). Now, he is integral to the offense, on top handling the ball or when he's looking to drive and finish. He still has to learn when to dish rather than get his shot blocked, but that is coming, just like it did for G.

moonpie23
02-26-2009, 01:28 PM
Email has done a lot to throw a jolt into the team, and this could be just me projecting a "wishful thinking" attiude, but.....

it SEEEMS to me that he is almost deferring to G and Kyle (or to jon) when what he WANTS to do is take over the game... Almost like he's afraid that he will get in trouble...

several times last night and in the wake game, he had clear path to the hole, but pulled back to look for G or jon...or kyle...

I'm not trying to be greedy here, but...man......wonder what would happen if he was off the chain....

:)

FerryFor50
02-26-2009, 01:30 PM
Email has done a lot to throw a jolt into the team, and this could be just me projecting a "wishful thinking" attiude, but.....

it SEEEMS to me that he is almost deferring to G and Kyle (or to jon) when what he WANTS to do is take over the game... Almost like he's afraid that he will get in trouble...

several times last night and in the wake game, he had clear path to the hole, but pulled back to look for G or jon...or kyle...

I'm not trying to be greedy here, but...man......wonder what would happen if he was off the chain....

I'd defer to Kyle and G, too. And as a PG, which he played several times, you kind of have to defer.

allenmurray
02-26-2009, 01:31 PM
As much as I like EWill, looking first for G and/or Jon hardly seems a poor choice for anybody.

JasonEvans
02-26-2009, 01:34 PM
EWill has made some wonderful strides and is playing well beyond what any of us could have expected a couple weeks ago. He is as responsible as anyone for resurrecting what could have been a lost season.

That said, lets not try to put too much upon him. I think deferring to the more experienced players on the team is wise.

-Jason "I loved the balanced scoring last night-- seems like we have a lot more weapons than we used to" Evans

Edouble
02-26-2009, 01:35 PM

Interesting... but how would his 53% free throw shooting affect our scoring ability if he was off the chain and taking it strong to the hole more often?

He was put in the line-up for his defense and to help Jon's offense, but Email is definitely helping us on both sides of the court.

One thing I have not yet heard anyone say about his pass for Jon's 3 pointer at the end of the game last night, was not only was Jon in a great place to shoot, but I saw Email's head go up to the basket, right after he passed it off to Jon, ready to board a miss and get a put-back if the ball didn't go in, which is just another reason why that was such a great play.

jv001
02-26-2009, 01:37 PM

Deferring to experienced players like Gerald, Jon and Kyle is probably what got Elliot off the bench and into the starting lineup. In earlier games you could see he was just looking for his shot but it was not in the flow of the game. He doesn't have to score 20 pts per game to get major mins. Go Duke!

Kim*
02-26-2009, 01:41 PM
From my personal observation of Elliot this season, early on it seemed like he was trying TOO hard to be a superstar and to make all these crazy razzle-dazzle spin moves and loopity-loo dunks with the "I MUST SCORE" look on his face, instead of just relying on what came naturally to him. It was just too forced and inorganic for a good part of the early/mid season. But now I think he has settled, found his rhythm, and has learned to be more of a team player with the ability to effectively feed off of the other guys. The fact that he is able to fairly successfully mesh with the likes of G, Jon, and Kyle, gets a big thumbs-up from me. And it couldn't have come at a better time.

He still has a lot of growing to do, but I definitely appreciate his efforts as of late.

BlueintheFace
02-26-2009, 01:46 PM
If he didn't defer to Kyle and G, he would be sitting on the bench. He has done a great job recently of picking his spots and looking for our go-to scorers.

InSpades
02-26-2009, 01:50 PM
He is definitely deferring to other players, which I think is just natural for a freshman (and in most cases it is what you want). There are exceptions when the freshman is significantly better than the rest of his team (which obviously isn't the case). I think he will step up more and more as the season progresses. He's shooting an incredible percentage of late because he only takes really good shots (there's probably about 2 exceptions in the past 3 games). I think he and Lance Thomas can both play a similiar role in different ways. They do the little things out there that make a big difference but might not show up in the stats and then when they do get an opportunity to score they make the most of it. We already have 3 players on the court most of the time who can create their own shots, we really don't need 5 players doing it.

OldSchool
02-26-2009, 01:54 PM
He is truly the master of verve. Never nervous, always vervous. I mean, the verve of that guy!

"He's playing his butt off," Duke forward Gerald Henderson said of Williams. "He's pressuring the ball. He's bringing a different kind of verve to our team."http://http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1418041.html (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1418041.html)

“Elliot gave us a verve right off the start,” Krzyzewski said. “In the two games he’s started, he’s really given us a spirit out there.”http://www.accsports.com/articles/200902244814/crothers-the-elliot-williams-experiment.php

"We got knocked back the last couple weeks, some of our weaknesses were exposed and we've got to get better from it," Krzyzewski said. "Elliot added a verve to our practices, and we needed it."
http://www.newsday.com/sports/college/ny-spstj206042376feb20,0,5594690.story

kinghoops
02-26-2009, 01:58 PM
late in the game last nite, ewill took a pass in the corner, he had a semi open three from the corner, he made an extra pass to his left to i believe a wide open kyle, who buried the three and essentially put the game out of reach. i like his thought process of picking and choosing!

Kim*
02-26-2009, 02:17 PM
He is truly the master of verve. Never nervous, always vervous. I mean, the verve of that guy!

http://http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1418041.html (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1418041.html)

http://www.accsports.com/articles/200902244814/crothers-the-elliot-williams-experiment.php

Looks like somebody bought a Word-of-the-Day calendar for the locker room!

weezie
02-26-2009, 02:18 PM

Bravo! E-verve....I think you're on to some excellent variation on the E-mail nickname.

kinghoops
02-26-2009, 02:30 PM
late in the game last nite, ewill took a pass in the corner, he had a semi open three from the corner, he made an extra pass to his left to i believe a wide open kyle, who buried the three and essentially put the game out of reach. i like his thought process of picking and choosing!

just checked the highlights and it was jon who hit the open three with the assist to ewill

moonpie23
02-26-2009, 02:39 PM
y'all are all correct.....i guess it's my greed...

i am shamed....

sorry.....

SMO
02-26-2009, 03:08 PM

Looks to me like he's being a very good "team player". Making the extra pass to Jon, getting the ball to G to allow him to create, deferring to Singler so he can take advantage of a mismatch, and driving on his own if the lane is open or grabbing an offensive board and finishing. I really like his offensive game so far. If he can play like he has and rid himself of the "Freshman" type fouls he'll be a very good player even as a Frosh.

quickgtp
02-26-2009, 11:08 PM
There was a offensive set during the game where Email looked like he was looking/thinking to take his man and drive. Jon looked him and waived for him to give the ball essentially looking like "hey, I see you, but we have a set to run here so give me the ball...." Email played it right and passed back to Jon and we ran through a set and scored. It is very positive to see him looking at/following the others because they have that experience already.

Keep up the play Email!

Mike Corey
02-27-2009, 12:11 AM

http://http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1418041.html (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/duke/story/1418041.html)

http://www.accsports.com/articles/200902244814/crothers-the-elliot-williams-experiment.php

What a bittersweet symphony of quotes.

Saratoga2
02-27-2009, 08:28 AM
He is definitely deferring to other players, which I think is just natural for a freshman (and in most cases it is what you want). There are exceptions when the freshman is significantly better than the rest of his team (which obviously isn't the case). I think he will step up more and more as the season progresses. He's shooting an incredible percentage of late because he only takes really good shots (there's probably about 2 exceptions in the past 3 games). I think he and Lance Thomas can both play a similiar role in different ways. They do the little things out there that make a big difference but might not show up in the stats and then when they do get an opportunity to score they make the most of it. We already have 3 players on the court most of the time who can create their own shots, we really don't need 5 players doing it.

Did a switch come on in Williams head three games ago or is it that coach K was desperate, due to the poor guard play, and gave this kid a chance? Did it also had to do with moving Scheyer to the point? With the talent he has shown in the last three games, it is pretty clear that Williams could have made a significant difference in the loss to Wake and also the loss to BC. At least he is finally getting into the lineup.

davekay1971
02-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Did a switch come on in Williams head three games ago or is it that coach K was desperate, due to the poor guard play, and gave this kid a chance? Did it also had to do with moving Scheyer to the point? With the talent he has shown in the last three games, it is pretty clear that Williams could have made a significant difference in the loss to Wake and also the loss to BC. At least he is finally getting into the lineup.

This is what I'm hearing in Chapel Hill (West) from the anti-Duke/anti-K crowd, the argument that Coach K's move with Scheyer and EWill was about desperation, not coaching genius, and, in fact, shows what an idiot he is that he didn't get EWill in there sooner. It ignores a few simple facts.

1) Nolan Smith's play earlier in the year was much better, and deserving of the starting spot. It wasn't that long ago that we (and the "experts" out there) were praising the benefits Nolan brought with his defense and driving ability

2) When Nolan started to struggle, Greg's play picked up. So, when the sophomore starting point hits a slump, the senior PG has some really solid games.

3) EWill looked really, really shaky earlier this year. He had great flashes, but also lots of mistakes. It's just a simple fact that when he was in, he wasn't playing with anything like the steadiness and efficiency that he's shown now.

So, at what point in the season do you insert EWill, a freshman who's looked promising, but shaky, in the time he's been on the court, into the starting lineup over Smith and Paulus? When Smith is playing really solid ball earlier this year? When Paulus is looking like he's heating up (ie, the Miami game)? Or maybe right about when Coach K did it, when EWill is starting to look a little steadier out there, and (unfortunately) both Smith and Paulus are struggling?

Indoor66
02-27-2009, 09:09 AM
I agree more with Davekay's view than the one set forth in Saratoga's post. I like to think that the change came about because the light bulb went off for Elliott. He was seeing more of a slower game in practice and, bang, he got it. (Not an instant epiphany, a process that culminated in a brighter court.) K and the coaches (especially Nate) saw this and made the move.

I also think the same process is happening with Miles and that he is close to having a light bulb moment.

COYS
02-27-2009, 10:38 AM
I agree more with Davekay's view than the one set forth in Saratoga's post. I like to think that the change came about because the light bulb went off for Elliott. He was seeing more of a slower game in practice and, bang, he got it. (Not an instant epiphany, a process that culminated in a brighter court.) K and the coaches (especially Nate) saw this and made the move.

I also think the same process is happening with Miles and that he is close to having a light bulb moment.

I think it's pretty clear that it was more of a lightbulb moment. I was excited about Elliot from the beginning because it's clear that his physical tools (quickness, leaping ability, speed in the open court), but I also recognized that it might be a little while before he was able to give the team significant minutes as his play was erratic. Clearly, he started "getting it" in practice because, starting with the game against St. Johns in MSG, he looked like a completely different player. He was cool, measured, and under control. The game against Maryland was perhaps his most sensational game. You've got to be excited when a freshman guard who's not needed to be a big time scorer plays mostly mistake free ball, picks his spots on offense and makes great decisions with the ball on his way to double digit scoring and a few key offensive boards. It's the type of play that makes him an X factor for us for the rest of the season. It's also the type of play that he was not capable of giving the team earlier in the season.

Kedsy
02-27-2009, 10:50 AM
I've been thinking that the emergence of Elliot Williams shows that K is right in his definition of depth. Most people seem to equate depth with how many players get significant minutes in competitive games. But the true answer is depth is how many players could get significant minutes in competitive games, and the current team probably has 10. Which is a good thing.

jpfrizzle
02-27-2009, 10:52 AM
Just as I hoped when I watched his high school videos, before Duke. I see nothing but great things for freshman Elliot (Email) Williams in his future as a Blue Devil.

Go DUKE ! ! ! !

roywhite
02-27-2009, 11:01 AM
Just as I hoped when I watched his high school videos, before Duke. I see nothing but great things for freshman Elliot (Email) Williams in his future as a Blue Devil.

Go DUKE ! ! ! !

I love what he's doing for this team and he's got a huge upside.

His success as a truly great player will depend on improvement in shooting and ball handling. I hate to see him shooting 53% at the line. Based on what we've read about his work habits and determination, I'd look for him to soak up guidance from the coaches and shoot hundreds of shots per day in the off-season.

COYS
02-27-2009, 11:11 AM

His success as a truly great player will depend on improvement in shooting and ball handling. I hate to see him shooting 53% at the line. Based on what we've read about his work habits and determination, I'd look for him to soak up guidance from the coaches and shoot hundreds of shots per day in the off-season.

I'm sure we'll see this stat as well as his three point shooting improve. For freshman and for rookies in the NBA, free throw shooting and three point shooting often come last as the mental approach is often different for these shots than it was in high school/college. The game is faster, they're learning a whole bunch of new things, and they're probably shooting threes or free throws at a vastly reduced rate than they did when they were at the previous level. Elliot has only taken a small number of free throws and threes and his percentages aren't really statistically significant yet. Hopefully we'll see an improvement THIS year as he sees more playing time down the stretch. I am confident that these percentages will improve dramatically over his career.

diveonthefloor
02-27-2009, 08:04 PM
I thought it was interesting to read this thread again after the last three games....
The thread is only a month old...
My how things can change quickly!

loran16
02-28-2009, 06:46 PM
Before i start, let me say I'm floored by the fact that elliot has become a meaningful contributor and a well-deserved starter.

That said, unfortunately, we need more. Today was another key example...when the big 3 is struggling, the other players have to step up. And really, Elliot didn't even seem to get the ball in the 2nd half. I'm not sure whose fault that is, but he has been great at times and needs to have the ball in his hands more often.

The key bit with him is the following: He should not that often be taking the 3 (I know he hit at least 1 in this game). He's getting warmer on that front, but even then, we don't need another 3 point shooter. We have plenty of those.

What we need is for him to show his stuff...drive inside and make it tough for Defenses....the key move he doesn't seem to have as much right now is the drive inside and then pass back out. He seems afraid to drive inside if he won't take the shot. He needs to do that, so as to cause opposing defenses to have to worry about a fourth player.

A lot of his disappearance late mind you, i attribute to his foul trouble...he likes going for steals and defending really really close, and sometimes pushes it a bit much. But even with those fouls (and he'll learn to stop doing that as we go on, i'm sure) he has to be aggressive on O, as we need another player to be.

dukegirlinsc
02-28-2009, 06:52 PM
He strikes me as a type that would have an outstanding Sophomore season, and then split for the NBA, ill-advised of course.

I can see improvement since the beginning of the season, he still seems a little confused about shooting and not shooting at times, and not quite assertive enough. Hopefully there's nowhere to go but up for this guy. He's still a freshman, and I think if he continues to play well (in whichever role the team needs him) Duke could be a force.

"Hopefully" being the key word.

loran16
02-28-2009, 06:56 PM
He strikes me as a type that would have an outstanding Sophomore season, and then split for the NBA, ill-advised of course.

I can see improvement since the beginning of the season, he still seems a little confused about shooting and not shooting at times, and not quite assertive enough. Hopefully there's nowhere to go but up for this guy. He's still a freshman, and I think if he continues to play well (in whichever role the team needs him) Duke could be a force.

"Hopefully" being the key word.

Earlier on in the season (Such as the 8 minutes at the end of the UMD game) he seemed to be overassertive at times...and it led to mistakes like driving inside when 3 guys would come up and meet him. Now he's driving on occasion and then other times not even making a move but rather passing the ball on instantly.

I'm not sure how much of this is K's strategy (if he's restraining elliot or something) but i'd love to see him as i said above try driving more and pass rather than shoot.

COYS
02-28-2009, 07:06 PM
Earlier on in the season (Such as the 8 minutes at the end of the UMD game) he seemed to be overassertive at times...and it led to mistakes like driving inside when 3 guys would come up and meet him. Now he's driving on occasion and then other times not even making a move but rather passing the ball on instantly.

I'm not sure how much of this is K's strategy (if he's restraining elliot or something) but i'd love to see him as i said above try driving more and pass rather than shoot.

I haven't seen anything to be concerned about. His two mini-hooks in the lane were beautiful and showed his long arms and touch around the basket, which is impressive for a guard. His three that he hit coming out of a time out after VaTech had made it a game early in the second showed that he's not too shy to shoot in big situations if he's open. His drive later in the half when we really needed a bucket and he drove into the teeth of the defense and got a little turned around and tried a weak flip toward the basket that got swattted showed he's a freshman. He also played good defense most of the game save for a few lapses when he got caught flat footed and let his man blow by at top speed. I'm very happy with his play over the past few games and with Nolan out, he's even more important now than he was when he first joined the starting lineup. I think we'll see him elevate his game even more as we really get into the business end of the season.

roywhite
02-28-2009, 07:10 PM
One of the key stats in the VaTech game was Hokie star Malcolm Delaney scoring 7 points (2-12 from the floor); Elliot's defense on him was a big part of that.

diveonthefloor
03-01-2009, 04:13 PM

Dukegirlinsc....
Don't worry. Elliot is an outstanding student. And an outstanding kid. His parents sent him to St George's for a reason. And they encouraged him to choose Duke for a reason.
He's at Duke for the education, AND for basketball. No one will let him do a Corey Magette...he's not Corey Magette in any way shape or form.

BlueintheFace
03-01-2009, 04:29 PM
From RESERVE to E-VERVE

dukestheheat
03-01-2009, 08:55 PM
EWill=Verve. He's vervealicious. I love it.

dth.

dukestheheat
03-01-2009, 09:00 PM

He's going to be shooting many, many free throws this summer, bet you a 50 stamp. He's valuable to Duke now, but moving that percentage into the low 80's is doable and necessary!

dth.

RainingThrees
03-03-2009, 06:26 PM
From Memphis.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/mar/02/devil-pays-dues/

chrisheery
03-03-2009, 06:50 PM
not love this kid? He just seems like such a winner.

Edit:
This is not meant to indicate anyone does not love him on this board. Just saying he's really come through what had to be a tough time for him with flying colors.

RainingThrees
03-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I can't imagine putting in all that work outside of practice, while having classes and not having a car. Wow! That is what you call work ethic.

happydays1949
03-03-2009, 06:59 PM
From Memphis.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/mar/02/devil-pays-dues/

What a refeshing article...no Duke hating.

RoyalBlue08
03-03-2009, 07:15 PM
Everything I have seen and read about Williams has been overwhelmingly positive. I am looking forward to cheering for him and watching him grow into a star over the next few years!

BD80
03-06-2009, 04:38 PM
http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/in_the_paint/posts/55421-qa-with-dukes-elliot-williams?eref=fromSI

He is up from 167 to 181 lbs

SilkyJ
03-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the linky. Good to see the weight up a little, you'd never know it from looking at him...at least I didn't. Hope he's still quick enough to keep up with Lawson on Sunday, he's gonna be a handful...

DukieBoy
03-06-2009, 07:07 PM
Just a quick question, but who is the strength and conditioning coach at Duke?

rthomas
03-06-2009, 07:15 PM

Dr. Ster Oid.

Just kidding, been drinking.

wisteria
03-06-2009, 07:19 PM
hmmm... I think they've shown the s&c coach in one of blueplanet's videos. Last year, DeMarcus and Dave filmed a tour of the new K center. They showed that coach. Big guy. :)

godukerocks
03-06-2009, 07:30 PM

Isn't it William Stephens?

BD80
03-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Dr. Ster Oid.

He's not really a doctor.

Good family though, unc hired his brother Hemr as team psychologist.

DukieBoy
03-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Isn't it William Stephens?

Just watched the video wisteria talked about and all they said was Coach Will.

Indoor66
03-06-2009, 07:46 PM
He's not really a doctor.

Good family though, unc hired his brother Hemr as team psychologist.

He also developed the cure for Carolina Fever and named it, by chance, Preparation H!

Saratoga2
03-09-2009, 08:55 AM
Didn't see a thread on Elliot so am starting this.

My view is that he is a special player who has a great deal of potential and will grow into his true capability over his career at Duke. When freshman come into the Duke system, they have to adapt to many things, including the academic stresses, being away from home, a whole new slate of players, a new basketball system to learn, and far better competition than they have faced in High school. It is easy for fans to expect too much starting off, when a player is a McDonald's All American.

When he came, we knew that he was a skinny 6'4" left handed guard with great quickness and athletic ability. We had heard he liked to slash and his shot was a little suspect. After seeing him in action we have learned that he is incredibly quick and athletic and is a fearless slasher and excellent rebounder and has learned the Duke defensive strategy. As far as his stage of development, I would compare him to Gerald Henderson.

Gerald is stronger, but I believe Elliot is quicker and is everybit as athletic. I would give the nod to Elliot in the ball handling arena, but of course Henderson has learned how to score and his shot selection and free throw shooting has improved to the point where he is a star.

So, Elliot is very likely to make equivalent improvement in his shot and develop his scoring in a similar manner as Henderson. Work over the off season with a shooting coach on his free throws and his shot selection (a mid range jumper would be a big asset) and we will see a much improved player in the fall.

I see him as developing into a real star for the program.

CDu
03-09-2009, 09:08 AM
The development of Williams and Smith will be very important this offseason. Both are excellent defenders, and if they can improve we can have a REALLY dynamic backcourt along with Scheyer, pressuring the opposing team's PG for 40 minutes (with Williams and Smith) and distributing the ballhandling responsibilities. If Henderson were to stay as well, we could have an unbelievable backcourt/wing rotation.

As for Williams, he clearly has the athleticism, talent, and desire to become a star for Duke. He's still very rough around the edges, though. He can get out of control on the drive, similar to Henderson's early years but probably a bit more out of control. But if he can improve his shooting a bit, develop a pull-up game (Henderson always had that), and get more comfortable with passing off the dribble, he's going to become a force. I feel good about where he's going for us.

dyedwab
03-09-2009, 09:20 AM
...on offense has been adjusting to the game's pace. Earlier this year, I believe it was Jumbo who made the point that Elliot was playing too fast and getting himself in trouble...he wasn't set when he made plays, which led to turnovers and bad misses.

But since he entered the starting lineup, he's been much better, and I think its because he has picked up a trigger that helps him. If you watch when ever Elliot catches the ball up top, he stops, holds the ball low, and spins to face the defender. This seems to be good fundamental basketball and it helps Elliot, because it gives him a beat or two to get set before he makes his move. And his first step is quick enough that this beat actually makes it easier for him to make a good play - he's more balanced, and still fast, without losing the speed to make the play.

To me, this illustrates a player who has worked really hard in practice to become a better player, and a coaching staff that figured out what a player needed to do to improve.

Kudos to all

OZZIE4DUKE
03-09-2009, 09:44 AM
Didn't see a thread on Elliot so am starting this.

My view is that he is a special player who has a great deal of potential and will grow into his true capability over his career at Duke. When freshman come into the Duke system, they have to adapt to many things, including the academic stresses, being away from home, a whole new slate of players, a new basketball system to learn, and far better competition than they have faced in High school. It is easy for fans to expect too much starting off, when a player is a McDonald's All American.

The exact same thing can be said about Miles Plumlee. He has a very large upside as he both matures physically and learns more about playing basketball. Remember, his experience in HS was limited until the family moved to Asheville.

roywhite
03-09-2009, 10:03 AM
The exact same thing can be said about Miles Plumlee. He has a very large upside as he both matures physically and learns more about playing basketball. Remember, his experience in HS was limited until the family moved to Asheville.

Well, I hope Miles works hard and gets in the mix. Not sure he had limited experience---his parents were basketball players and he grew up in basketball-crazy Indiana.

Just my opinion, but I think younger brother Mason will be ready to contribute next year and likely be the better player of the two.

Miles will probably get some opportunities in the ACC Tournament; hope he makes the most of them.

On the topic of Elliot Williams, he has been a terrific addition to the lineup. With a little work on his shooting, I think we're looking at an All-ACC type player within a year or two.

dukejim1
03-09-2009, 10:22 AM
But it will take a significant amount of work on his shooting. He is not sound with his release, too much side hand. That said, he can do it and should give us our best on ball defender in many years. Nolan and Elliot could really develop into a strong backcourt but we still need the backup point.

SupaDave
03-09-2009, 10:30 AM
But it will take a significant amount of work on his shooting. He is not sound with his release, too much side hand. That said, he can do it and should give us our best on ball defender in many years. Nolan and Elliot could really develop into a strong backcourt but we still need the backup point.

Not even worried. The staff helped Dockery become a passable three-point shooter. It should be a breeze with Williams...

Sgt. Dingleberry
03-09-2009, 10:41 AM
Right now Elliott reminds me a lot of Demarcus Nelson...

If Elliott can learn a jump shot he has a ceiling similar to Henderson's...If he can't learn a jumper I think he has a floor of being a LH'ed Nelson...

Reddevil
03-09-2009, 10:59 AM

If Elliott can learn a jump shot he has a ceiling similar to Henderson's...If he can't learn a jumper I think he has a floor of being a LH'ed Nelson...

EW will be special. He is more fluid than Nelson or Carawell. They made themselves into good basketball players. Elliott has the athleticism of Ricky Price with a better skill set. This summer will be huge for him. Generally, guys improve the most between their first and second year. Imagine EW with a midrange jumper, and the ability to hit 2/3 of his FT's. That is what I think we will witness next year.

killerleft
03-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Elliot seems poised to become a great on-the-ball defender. Probably too much to ask this early in his career, but he's our best chance for staying in front of the speedy point guards that plague us (and everybody else).

Greg_Newton
03-11-2009, 06:43 PM
You know, I don't think his shooting will be quite as big of an issue as people think after this year. He's not shooting a great 3pt% right now, but that's not uncommon at all for a super athletic freshman... especially one thrust cold into the peak of ACC competition. At least he's shown that he can make open shots and that he has tremendous overall poise and confidence. Plus, his first step is so lightning quick that he's always going to have a pretty significant cushion from defenders on his release. Once he develops a right-handed drive and gets some shot reps in this summer, I think he'll be extremely difficult to guard.

Dukefan4Life
03-11-2009, 07:54 PM
I am impressed with e-mail i like his confidence and his game..I do seem him as a little tenitive still but that will change. Look out for next year he will be AMAZING!:D

sagegrouse
03-11-2009, 08:10 PM

Except for the fact that Markie would break EWill in half.

No one really comparable in the Duke program. Better than Phil Henderson at this stage, but has the same build and moves. It is not fair to compare him to Johnny Dawkins (for either of them), but we'll see how he develops.

sagegrouse

Hancock 4 Duke
03-11-2009, 08:50 PM
These are the things that (IMOP) I think Elliot should work on over the off season: His free throws. I think that we have all noticed that he needs to work on that part. Next: his shooting. He is 29% for threes, and somewhere around 40% FG percentages. Those are OK, unless he wants to play for DUKE.
Finally: His hesitant feet. I think he gets away with a lot of travels (Not nearly as much as Hans..wait, what's his name?) But he shuffles his feet alot, and sometimes the refs won't be so considerate. I think Elliot Williams has lots of room to improve, but hey, he is a Freshman PLAYING FOR DUKE. So we all know that he is still pretty awesome!