PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. NC State

Jumbo
01-20-2009, 09:53 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. NC State?

Jumbo
01-20-2009, 09:55 PM
And to answer my own question, I really wanted to vote for Dave, but G was just too good.

Billy Dat
01-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Gerald - he was our offense during the critical stretches of the 2nd half when State was up 3-5 and looking to extend their lead. I thought he also helped key the defensive stand that helped us extend the lead in the final 8 minutes.

grossbus
01-20-2009, 09:57 PM
david may have had his best game, but G was da man, for sure.

should_be_working
01-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Henderson was the best player on the court tonight, but McClure did all the little things - i love the way he plays.

3rd Dukie
01-20-2009, 09:58 PM
And to answer my own question, I really wanted to vote for Dave, but G was just too good.

AMEN! Same here.

Madrasdukie
01-20-2009, 10:00 PM
G for me.

Cell-R
Surprise, surprise... G! :)

wilko
G was fab no doubt.
But w/o Diamond Dave's D we are in a BIG hole on a flat nite.
I have no prob giving D some MoM love to reward his D and hope his O comes around.

If he can reliably contribute 8 pts a game we are a MUCH different team.

geraldsneighbor
01-20-2009, 10:02 PM
Ugly first half, but G sparked us in the second half. Also, shout outs to Nolan for hitting the big 3's in that crucial spot mid way through the 2nd half.

JDev
01-20-2009, 10:03 PM
In addition to getting in the passing lanes, G was Duke's offense for several stretches.

Papa John
01-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Agree that it was clearly G... He is learning to simply put this team on his back when we're slogging through mud...

pamtar
I've been waiting all season to vote for Dave. Ironically, I even screamed at the TV for K to pull him tonight. G was unreal, especially those back to back jumpers, but the steal and pass by Dave was dirty. Great come back by the whole team.

By the way, Michelle Obama is hot.

jv001
Gerald got my vote. He played well on defense and great on offense. Go Duke!

CDu
01-20-2009, 10:08 PM
The guy who led the team in points, rebounds, and steals, and tied for the team lead in assists and blocks.

So I'm going with Henderson.

dukediv2013
01-20-2009, 10:08 PM
Greg Paulus has been great two games in a row.

FireOgilvie
01-20-2009, 10:14 PM

On offense. I hope he keeps it up.

I went with Gerald. Five steals! He also had at least one amazing block.

ice-9
01-20-2009, 10:16 PM
21 points on 10-16 shooting
7 rebounds (3 offensive)
4 assists
5 steals
1 block
And only 1 turnover

WOW. What a stat line. What makes the above even more impressive is the fact that for a majority of the game G was the only one who played well (offensively at least). Definitely my MOTM.

CDu
01-20-2009, 10:17 PM

Great on offense, but he made some really bad decisions on defense. He gambled and missed on several overplays that led to easy buckets, and he got beat off the dribble a few times leading to easy buckets.

Don't get me wrong: I'm very glad to see his shot coming back, but let's not completely ignore the other half of the game.

CBDUKE
01-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Voted for G because his offense kept us in it, but what a game by Dave!

EarlJam
01-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Agree that it was clearly G... He is learning to simply put this team on his back when we're slogging through mud...

Well said and agreed. We saw this beginning to emerge last year in the first round of the NCAA Tourney.

For me, it's G.

-EarlGam

CarterTheGreat
01-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Vote goes to G. He was simply unstoppable tonight, much as he has been since the start of the new year. I love watching him dominate a game like he has and it won't be long before he starts getting some serious national attention. But, as mentioned earlier, I miss Jon on the offensive end.

RaineyDevil
01-20-2009, 10:45 PM

couldn't have said it better myself

Acymetric
01-20-2009, 10:56 PM
G was huge all game, and had two or three huge plays at the end to help put State away (with some help from Dave! Man I love that guy. Can we keep him a few more years?).

elvis14
01-20-2009, 10:58 PM
Tonight I saw G play the way I thought he'd play this season. He did it all and it was so much fun to watch. Easy choice for MOTM tonight....it was the MAN among boys.

jipops
01-20-2009, 11:20 PM
This is the easiest vote so far this season. G led in every major statistical category tonight.

21pts, 7 boards, 4 assists, 5 steals, 1 block (tied with McClure)

His defense was as superb as his offense.

DukeCO2009
01-20-2009, 11:46 PM
If you vote for anyone other than G, you, with all due respect, either a) have an irrational man-crush on the player to whom you gave your vote, or b) know about as much about basketball as I do about quantum physics--which is, to say, not too much. Henderson was everywhere tonight on both ends of the floor. When you lead your team in every major statistical category, only turn it over once, and single-handedly carry your team for a significant portion of the game, you're the MOTM--no buts. McClure played a great overall game as well and Greg gave us a nice lift early on, but this one should be unanimous, folks. This was a legendary performance.

dukeballer2294
01-21-2009, 12:52 AM
didnt see it but i guess its hendo from what i heard and saw

OZZIE4DUKE
01-21-2009, 12:55 AM
Has to be G tonight.

dukemomLA
01-21-2009, 12:56 AM
Voted to GH -- he becomes more awesome to watch game after game, but I have to give great kudos and props to McClure.

I actually enjoy games where there are struggles for a while -- great practice for the Tourney. We know that things will not come easily there day after day.

Let's hope (LOL) that the tourney committee will finally realize that almost any team in the ACC can beat almost any other team from another conference on a given day. Give the ACC its due....perhaps....finally...

(Let's leave the last paragraph, perhaps, for a new thread? Started by someone with more knowledge than me).

dukebluelemur
01-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Gave Gerald his due...

Big shoutout to Kyle though, playing smart for the last 7+ with 4 fouls, and still being a factor on D and O during that stretch. Really good to know he has that ability.

wisteria
01-21-2009, 01:14 AM
you know... Kyle has been quietly having some monster games as well, but it's in a good way that his 17 point game gets completely overshadowed by Gerald. If only we can get Jon out of his offensive funk, we'd stand a good chance next Wednesday.

ncexnyc
01-21-2009, 01:24 AM
G was great, but tonight I went with Nolan. We needed someone else to step-up when both Kyle and Jon seemed out of it and Nolan did just that.

Acymetric
01-21-2009, 03:05 AM
G was great, but tonight I went with Nolan. We needed someone else to step-up when both Kyle and Jon seemed out of it and Nolan did just that.

I would hesitate to say that Nolan "stepped up." He played as bad as anybody or worse for the first 30 minutes of the game. He hit those triples and some free throws, and sure that was big, but without G we aren't even close to being in the game for those 3's to matter. Throw in 5 steals for Henderson, including one or two in crunch time, and I don't see how it could be anyone but him. If I did pick someone else, it'd be Dave or possibly Kyle. I wouldn't have Nolan in the discussion.

captmojo
01-21-2009, 07:21 AM
G. May he stay healthy the rest of the year.

mgtr
01-21-2009, 07:47 AM
I see that I am late to the party. Pretty much everything has been said. G was G-reat, but it was wonderful to see McClure pick up his game. Those were the two real bright spots in a mostly dismal game.

Magnolia888
01-21-2009, 10:19 AM
Absolutely G.

I kept waiting for Jon to come in the game, and then I'd look and realize he was. I hope he comes back soon.

Classof06
01-21-2009, 02:32 PM
If you vote for anyone other than G, you, with all due respect, either a) have an irrational man-crush on the player to whom you gave your vote, or b) know about as much about basketball as I do about quantum physics--which is, to say, not too much. Henderson was everywhere tonight on both ends of the floor. When you lead your team in every major statistical category, only turn it over once, and single-handedly carry your team for a significant portion of the game, you're the MOTM--no buts. McClure played a great overall game as well and Greg gave us a nice lift early on, but this one should be unanimous, folks. This was a legendary performance.

Co-sign. I just don't see how one can objectively choose anyone else besides Henderson. Please fill me in.

RainingThrees
01-21-2009, 07:05 PM
Miles? Shouldn't you have to play more than 3 minutes to even be thought of for a second as the MoTM? Gotta be G, played D, pulled down the boards, made good passes/decisions, carried us for a bad stretch and got the crowd back into it.

DukieInBrasil
01-21-2009, 08:18 PM
how can it be anyone other than Gerald? He led the team in everything, including high-light reel dunks. Points, rebs, assists, steals, he did everything.

Cameron
01-21-2009, 08:36 PM
As big as Paulus' 25 foot triple was in my eyes (did you see Cameron's transformation after that ball hit twine?), the Man of the Match against State was Mr. Henderson. He was fantastic once again. As I said last week, he has put on the cape we all knew we would eventually see. Frankly, Gerald has been our superman as of late.

He's been spectacular, there is no other way to describe it.