PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs North Carolina State Pregame/In-game Thread

77devil
01-19-2009, 08:22 PM
It's less than 24 hours to the Devil's next ACC contest. Time to move on from Saturday. Post your thoughts here.

SMO
01-19-2009, 08:44 PM
It's less than 24 hours to the Devil's next ACC contest. Time to move on from Saturday. Post your thoughts here.

Pressure the guards, limit Costner's touches, and don't take any flying elbows or other crap from that Gonzalez kid.

Cameron
01-19-2009, 08:45 PM
Paulus' line against NC State in Cameron a year ago:

22 points, 5-of-8 from three, 6 assists, and 3 steals, as well as an incredible behind the head toss to Markie for a slam dunk in the second half.

Let's hope for more of the same, and for no green shirts to be in attendance.

wolfpackdevil
01-19-2009, 09:25 PM
If Duke limits the times McCauley gets the ball they will win.

It will be a rough game for me too watch, but with the youth of state's guards duke should run this one out.

Hope to be a good game

gumbomoop
01-19-2009, 10:00 PM
If Duke limits the times McCauley gets the ball they will win.

Agree, McCauley's a smart, superb passer, and can/has hurt Duke on back doors.

elvis14
01-19-2009, 10:52 PM
Paulus' line against NC State in Cameron a year ago:

22 points, 5-of-8 from three, 6 assists, and 3 steals, as well as an incredible behind the head toss to Markie for a slam dunk in the second half.

Let's hope for more of the same, and for no green shirts to be in attendance.

See link: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Man%20Crush

:D

Troublemaker
01-20-2009, 10:59 AM
This seems like a scary game to me. Seriously. Duke is in a letdown spot, with this game immediately following a top-15 battle with Georgetown and before that, two physical road games. I think Duke's frame of mind for this game will be to exhale a little bit, which will cause trouble because NCSU does have talent.

The Wolfpack should also have confidence against Duke. They were beating us very solidly in Raleigh last year before we made a hellacious comeback at the end to win; they must feel like they let one slip out of their hands there. And even in the game in Durham, they were leading at halftime before we blew them out in the second half.

Miles Plumlee should get some run again in this game. Neither Costner nor McCauley are good matchups for Zoubek; just like against Georgetown, it's questionable whether Z will be able to stay on the court as we'll probably want to play our more mobile bigs. It should be a good game for Lance, though. We'll probably press most of the game and utilize his defensive talents to try and cause turnovers. And NCSU isn't a good defensive team so he'll even get his chances to score.

The spread for this game is 19.5 but I think it ends up much closer than that with the game still in doubt late in the 2nd half. I hope I'm wrong.

wolfpackdevil
01-20-2009, 02:38 PM
This seems like a scary game to me. Seriously. Duke is in a letdown spot, with this game immediately following a top-15 battle with Georgetown and before that, two physical road games. I think Duke's frame of mind for this game will be to exhale a little bit, which will cause trouble because NCSU does have talent.

The Wolfpack should also have confidence against Duke. They were beating us very solidly in Raleigh last year before we made a hellacious comeback at the end to win; they must feel like they let one slip out of their hands there. And even in the game in Durham, they were leading at halftime before we blew them out in the second half.

Miles Plumlee should get some run again in this game. Neither Costner nor McCauley are good matchups for Zoubek; just like against Georgetown, it's questionable whether Z will be able to stay on the court as we'll probably want to play our more mobile bigs. It should be a good game for Lance, though. We'll probably press most of the game and utilize his defensive talents to try and cause turnovers. And NCSU isn't a good defensive team so he'll even get his chances to score.

The spread for this game is 19.5 but I think it ends up much closer than that with the game still in doubt late in the 2nd half. I hope I'm wrong.

I think you are right. I think this will be a lot like the game at CIS last year. State will go up early, and hold a lead for a good while. But in the end, I think Duke's depth will prevail.

4 of the Wolfpack's 5 losses were decided in the final 2 minutes. And in the loss to Clemson, they were tied with about 10 minutes to play, and Clemson pulled away late in the game.

So State could EASILY be 15-1 right now. But they do not finish well. They did have a great finish against GT on Saturday, but that was it.

They do not hold leads well at all. Whether its the East Carolina game, or the Florida State game.

So I think State will hold a halftime lead, and keep that lead for the first 5 or 7 minutes of the second half, but Duke is much deeper and does not lose in Cameron Indoor Stadium.

I like to Duke to win, but they better watch out, because State is not going to role over in this game.

redick4pres
01-20-2009, 02:42 PM
If anyone catches somone wearing one of those stupid green shirts like in the first half last year, rip it off of them! Get rid of those things and don't even take them into Cameron tonight! It was hilarious being at that game last year watching everyone chunk those shirts out onto the floor! LOL!

CLT Devil
01-20-2009, 02:50 PM
Their guards should give us a huge advantage. Farnold might have an All-ACC first name but he's pretty prone to make mistakes. McCauley and Fells can hurt us. If Costner warms up that could be a good matchup between two versatile big men with different styles in him and Singler.

I see a tight game until the close of the first half where we pull away. Had to give up my tix bc of the weather so hopefully its in HD.

jv001
01-20-2009, 03:17 PM
If we appy pressure to State's guards, we should come away a winner. I look for turnovers from their guards that leads to fast break points for us. However if we let them set up and get the ball to their big men we could be in big trouble. In other words, play Duke D and we win by 12-15 pts. Go Duke!

Classof06
01-20-2009, 03:45 PM
Contain Costner and McAuley and I think we cruise. Our perimeter is head and shoulders above NC State's.

I'm not saying we can't lose and though Hickson was the most talented player on their team last year, you have to wonder what effect he had on the team's chemistry.

That being said, unless we come out plain flat (which is always possible with 18-22 year-old kids), this game shouldn't be much of a problem.

PS - Interesting stat from Pat Forde of ESPN:

"He [Henderson] never took more than 10 shots in Duke's first 10 games; now he hasn't taken fewer than 10 in the last seven games."

Music to my ears....

elvis14
01-20-2009, 05:48 PM
This seems like a scary game to me. Seriously. Duke is in a letdown spot, with this game immediately following a top-15 battle with Georgetown and before that, two physical road games.

Miles Plumlee should get some run again in this game. Neither Costner nor McCauley are good matchups for Zoubek; just like against Georgetown, it's questionable whether Z will be able to stay on the court as we'll probably want to play our more mobile bigs.

I agree that this is a game that Duke needs to be careful to concentrate on. In addition to the timing, everybody in the area is having a bit of a goofy day because of the snow.

I would like to see Miles get more time mostly because I'd like to get him up to game speed and effective before the tournaments. I disagree about McCauley vs. Zoubek. I think McCauley is the type of guy that Z will be effective with. He's more mobile than Z but not so much so that it'll negate Z's size difference. I think Z can very effectivly eliminate his effectivness down low.

Wish I was going to get to see the game....

Madrasdukie
01-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Does anybody know if there's freely accessible online audio feed of the game ?

dukebsbll14
01-20-2009, 07:53 PM
byah almost game time.

GO DUKE!!!

Cameron
01-20-2009, 07:54 PM
www.wsfl.com

Let Bob Harris and John Roth be your guides.

Madrasdukie
01-20-2009, 07:54 PM
www.wsfl.com

Let Bob Harris and John Roth be your guides.

Thanks !!

riverside6
01-20-2009, 08:02 PM
zoubek back in the lineup...

link to live stats here (http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=1996)

bludvlman
01-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Any where I could get a live video feed online? Here in Virginia I'm stuck with the UVA/Maryland game and my audio on my computer isn't working well for some reason.

devildownunder
01-20-2009, 08:18 PM
You gotta love holding the opposition without a field goal for the first 6 minutes, under any circumstances.

DukieInBrasil
01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
what a terrible start to the game. Looks like Dave and Greg from the bench brought a bit of a spark. Letīs go!!!

FireOgilvie
01-20-2009, 08:24 PM
Nice to see Plumlee get minutes right away.

Zoubek with a nice move inside. He got hammered from behind on one attempted layup and no foul was called... I thought that should have been a foul.

DukeCO2009
01-20-2009, 08:27 PM
Wow--ten guys getting PT in the first ten minutes. No EWill, though, curiously enough. Marty does indeed appear to have taken most of his minutes.

yancem
01-20-2009, 08:29 PM
Anyone know if there are any websites carrying the game? Up here in Va, the just switched from the Duke game to the UVA vs Maryland game:mad:

bludvlman
01-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Anyone know if there are any websites carrying the game? Up here in Va, the just switched from the Duke game to the UVA vs Maryland game:mad:

espn360 its free and eazy to use. very clear to, no stopping in the middle of plays.

FireOgilvie
01-20-2009, 08:34 PM

http://www.raycomsports.com/Swarmcast/index.php

Try that. It may or may not work in Virginia.

devildownunder
01-20-2009, 08:41 PM
we are shooting 32% Is it us or them?

DukeCO2009
01-20-2009, 08:42 PM
As I've been saying for a few games, the offense really needs to get things in gear. State is a good defensive team, but there's no need to pound the ball for twenty seconds thirty-five feet out before making any kind of move toward the hole. This is, to say the least, obnoxious and tough to watch.

bludvlman
01-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Scheyer needs to step up he has disappeared recently.

Karl Beem
01-20-2009, 08:49 PM
Now we know what a Singler-less team plays like.:(

Coballs
01-20-2009, 08:50 PM
That was quite a half.

FireOgilvie
01-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Now we know what a Singler-less team plays like.:(

What do you mean?

banneheim
Was Singler in foul trouble? hurt? Why is Zoubek playing so much when he has gotten burned several times?

dukelifer
I think some young men are about to get yelled at.

DukeCO2009
01-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Was Singler in foul trouble? hurt? Why is Zoubek playing so much when he has gotten burned several times?

He had 2--can't blame K too much for sitting him.

grossbus
01-20-2009, 08:53 PM
we are back to THAT offense again. what is smith, 1-10? i know scheyer is 0-4.

zoobs has been stuffed three times and getting abused by mccauley at the other end.

they look flat. worse than flat.

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-20-2009, 08:55 PM
That looked like some kind of early season scrimmage - like K was experimenting for 20 minutes. I didn't get it.

devildownunder
01-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Yikes, plenty to work on after this one, no matter how the 2nd half goes.

roywhite
01-20-2009, 08:56 PM
Ugh. Yuck. Phooey.

mgtr
01-20-2009, 08:57 PM
One complaint about Paulus is that he brings the ball up the court backwards, and also that he dribbles outside too much. In this case, Smith has been guilty of both things, plus he made a silly defensive foul. Maybe Scheyer needs to get a shot.
Somebody noted that we know what Singler-less team looks like, and that was a great comment. Where is our offense? McClure hits a three, but Scheyer can't? Seems a little topsy-turvy!

jv001
01-20-2009, 08:58 PM
We came out with alot of spirit and played good D for several mins. We failed to take advantage of the State TO's at the start of the game. Then we seemed to get hurt when Kyle kept switching on the guard and leaving Nolan on one of their bigs. Jon looks like he may have the flu by the way he is playing. Shot still off. Greg played well, Kyle was silent for the most part. Looking for a better 2nd half. Go Duke!

Cameron
01-20-2009, 08:58 PM
Kinda wish I wouldn't have spent the $75 for that. Ugly -- and the feed sucks.

geraldsneighbor
01-20-2009, 09:00 PM
Apparently Zoubek goes by Greg now.

Wildling
01-20-2009, 09:00 PM

lol, I agree. That was the most pitiful first half performance I have seen a long time. It looked worse than some of the pickup games I play in at my local gym.

If I have to watch Zoubek stumble around after getting a pass under the hoop, I am going to scream. I must admit, I have less patience than K does for big men. I am actually impressed as to how long Coach K will let Zoubek stumble around the hoop. I never understood how you can be 7' tall and have a hard time dunking the ball as Zoubek appears to have. I just don't get it.

ice-9
01-20-2009, 09:01 PM

Maybe have one or two chairs thrown around for good measure!

jv001
01-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Unless we pick it up, it's going to be hard to pick MOTM. Let's go Devils!

Coballs
01-20-2009, 09:05 PM
lol, I agree. That was the most pitiful first half performance I have seen a long time. It looked worse than some of the pickup games I play in at my local gym.

If I have to watch Zoubek stumble around after getting a pass under the hoop, I am going to scream. I must admit, I have less patience than K does for big men. I am actually impressed as to how long Coach K will let Zoubek stumble around the hoop. I never understood how you can be 7' tall and have a hard time dunking the ball as Zoubek appears to have. I just don't get it.

When he stands at the top of the key and shakes the ball up-and-down up-and-down over and over again looking for someone to pass it off , I just have to shake my head. I'm not sure I've ever seen any one else do that.

devildownunder
01-20-2009, 09:06 PM
He had 2--can't blame K too much for sitting him.

yeah, you really do have to sit him at that point.

SupaDave
01-20-2009, 09:08 PM
And we're still only a possesion behind! Now let's have a better 2nd half...

FerryFor50
01-20-2009, 09:13 PM
They have no answer at all for Henderson...

juise
01-20-2009, 09:16 PM
22 points in the first 20 minutes, 12 points in the next 4 minutes. Now we just need to induce a scoring drought for State.

FerryFor50
01-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Sadly, we haven't an answer for McCauley/Costner yet either.

Cell-R
01-20-2009, 09:17 PM
Maybe have one or two chairs thrown around for good measure!

I bet Coach K buys extra folding chairs every season just for that.

Unless we pick it up, it's going to be hard to pick MOTM. Let's go Devils!

Looks like it's going to be Henderson... Again...

FerryFor50
01-20-2009, 09:18 PM
1-3-1? Looks like Coach K borrowed from their Michigan game!

bludvlman
01-20-2009, 09:21 PM
Singler is great but without a doubt Henderson is the go-to-guy. He will carry this team.

elvis14
01-20-2009, 09:21 PM
I would like to see Miles get more time mostly because I'd like to get him up to game speed and effective before the tournaments. I disagree about McCauley vs. Zoubek. I think McCauley is the type of guy that Z will be effective with. He's more mobile than Z but not so much so that it'll negate Z's size difference. I think Z can very effectivly eliminate his effectivness down low.

I just wanted come back on here and basically say that I was wrong and Troublemaker was right about the McCauley vs. Zoubek matchup. I underestimated Ben. Now, back to hopefully watching a nice comeback...

FerryFor50
01-20-2009, 09:22 PM
I like Paulus, and I like that he's found his stroke, but jeez does he shoot it from what seems like WAYYYY too far out.

Billy Dat
01-20-2009, 09:25 PM
How many layups are we going to give up?

FerryFor50
01-20-2009, 09:25 PM
I can't believe we're letting NCSU beat us on the boards.

Billy Dat
01-20-2009, 09:28 PM
It's one thing to let guards drive, Costner is killing us on the drive. We need to double him with a guard and see if he can effectively find the open man on the double team.

Plus, we're losing all the hustle plays and the bounces are, therefore, going their way. We need to make some defensive stands!

bludvlman
01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
I think we have too many guys who are non factors on offense. Big Z, Lance, McClure, and Scheyer's offensive games have disappeared.

Billy Dat
01-20-2009, 09:30 PM
Nolan!

FerryFor50
01-20-2009, 09:31 PM
I think we have too many guys who are non factors on offense. Big Z, Lance, McClure, and Scheyer's offensive games have disappeared.

I'm more concerned with the lack of defense. NCSU is not an offensive powerhouse.

ice-9
01-20-2009, 09:33 PM
Nolan!

Smith!!!!

Billy Dat
01-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Another loose ball goes through our legs and they get the and 1...is that Singler's 4th? They announcers conveniently missed telling us.

Virginian
01-20-2009, 09:35 PM
All I have is online game tracker. Looks like every single NCST made shot is a layup. What the heck?!

FerryFor50
01-20-2009, 09:35 PM
Another loose ball goes through our legs and they get the and 1...is that Singler's 4th? They announcers conveniently missed telling us.

I do believe it's his 4th.

FerryFor50
01-20-2009, 09:37 PM
GET A REBOUND... sheesh.

Billy Dat
01-20-2009, 09:37 PM
All I have is online game tracker. Looks like every single NCST made shot is a layup. What the heck?!

Our D is terrilble tonight.

Billy Dat
01-20-2009, 09:41 PM
OK, we've got a little separation...let's keep it. Singler should play every game with 4 fouls. Nice to see us finally double that drive and making these guys make a pass instead of going for lay-ups.

OldPhiKap
01-20-2009, 09:45 PM
is there a radio link?

Virginian
01-20-2009, 09:47 PM
I hope they aren't.

And why are WE fouling?!

FerryFor50
01-20-2009, 09:49 PM
I hope they aren't.

And why are WE fouling?!

All is good. I don't see State pulling this one out. 1:47 left with 13 point lead...

Billy Dat
01-20-2009, 09:50 PM
We've got it won...up 15 and finally look like ourselves.

Karl Beem
01-20-2009, 09:50 PM
Ho-hum.:rolleyes:

Dr. Rosenrosen
01-20-2009, 09:52 PM
Thinking about those two halves, one thing comes to mind... Dr. Jekyl and Mr. Hyde.