PDA

View Full Version : The Big East is better than the ACC because...

MarkD83
01-19-2009, 08:15 PM
Some folks think that Boston College is still in the Big East. This quote is from the ESPN preview of the Duke-NCSU game.

"The Blue Devils have two non-ACC games remaining on their schedule, both on the road against Big East teams. They face Boston College and St. John's back-to-back in February."

Cameron
01-19-2009, 08:23 PM
Wow. Welcome to the year 2009, ESPN.

jv001
01-19-2009, 08:26 PM
Some folks think that Boston College is still in the Big East. This quote is from the ESPN preview of the Duke-NCSU game.

"The Blue Devils have two non-ACC games remaining on their schedule, both on the road against Big East teams. They face Boston College and St. John's back-to-back in February."

Was it struart scott or hubert davis that said it? Just kidding Jay. Go Duke!

speedevil2001
01-20-2009, 08:40 AM

the BC that lost to harvard, yeah ivy league

SilkyJ
01-20-2009, 01:25 PM
the BC that lost to harvard, yeah ivy league

It has nothing to do with the ivies and everything to do with Tommy Amaker, Ph.D.

The Doctor of Defense that is. [/lame joke]

jimsumner
01-20-2009, 01:35 PM
Good thing Harvard's not in the Big East. Likewise, Morgan State.

There's one thing that I find curious about this whole debate. No one seems to acknowledge the implications of the Big East having 16 teams. Sure, the BE is going to have more ranked teams and more teams in the NCAAT than anyone else. Do the math.

But if the BE gets 8 teams in the NCAAs and the ACC gets 6, then it's the same percentage. But all we'll hear is how this demonstrates the superiority of the BE.

Are we a nation of mathematical illiterates?

Acymetric
01-20-2009, 01:39 PM
Good thing Harvard's not in the Big East. Likewise, Morgan State.

There's one thing that I find curious about this whole debate. No one seems to acknowledge the implications of the Big East having 16 teams. Sure, the BE is going to have more ranked teams and more teams in the NCAAT than anyone else. Do the math.

But if the BE gets 8 teams in the NCAAs and the ACC gets 6, then it's the same percentage. But all we'll hear is how this demonstrates the superiority of the BE.

Yes. Especially sports commentators. But pretty much everyone else too.

SilkyJ
01-20-2009, 01:52 PM

Now I remember the main reason I come to this board: b/c most of the people here are actually intelligent. Its so frustrating hearing idiots give their opinion like they are a preacher, and they actually don't even know what they are talking about or how stupid they sound.

Yes. Especially sports commentators. But pretty much everyone else too.

A cynic after my own heart. George Carlin said it best: the average person is a BLEEPING idiot...and half of 'em are dumber than that.

Wander
01-20-2009, 02:01 PM

I agree the percentage thing could be mentioned more, but I see 5 tournament worthy teams in the ACC vs. 9 in the Big East, not 6 and 8.

Classof06
01-20-2009, 03:20 PM
I agree with Bilas; the top of the ACC (Wake, Duke, UNC, Clemson) is slightly better than the top of the Big East (Pitt, Cuse, L'Ville, G'Town) but if you look at the ACC and the top 12 in the Big East, the latter is deeper.

crimsondevil
01-20-2009, 03:32 PM
...but if you look at the ACC and the top 12 in the Big East, the latter is deeper.

That may be, but that's a rather silly comparison to make. Why do the bottom 4 in the BigEast get a pass? With that logic, why not compare the ACC to the bottom 12 instead?

Classof06
01-20-2009, 03:40 PM
That may be, but that's a rather silly comparison to make. Why do the bottom 4 in the BigEast get a pass? With that logic, why not compare the ACC to the bottom 12 instead?

You make a good point. The Big East naturally has an advantage in terms of depth by having more teams than the ACC (16 vs. 12).

I was just trying to compare apples to apples but your argument is dead on.

juise
01-20-2009, 03:57 PM
I agree with Bilas; the top of the ACC (Wake, Duke, UNC, Clemson) is slightly better than the top of the Big East (Pitt, Cuse, L'Ville, G'Town) but if you look at the ACC and the top 12 in the Big East, the latter is deeper.

I think that comparison still misses the point. If you take 12 Big East teams, you should take 9 ACC teams. The Big East shouldn't be allowed to throw out it's bottom 4 teams... of course it will make them look better!

(As an aside, I tend to believe that the top half of the Big East is better than the top half of the ACC, but I would favor the ACC in a comparison of top quarters or thirds.)

Edit: I forgot to hit post on this, so I am repeating someone else's point. Oops.

DukieInBrasil
01-20-2009, 07:52 PM
The ACC is better in the upper 12 teams than the BE, every team in the ACC has a .500 record or better, even teams with losing records in ACC play; there are 2 BE teams below .500. There are 5 BE teams that are either 1-4 or 0-5 in league play, although nobody has played 5 games in the ACC yet, we have 1 winless team vs. 3 for them although we have a quartet of 1-win teams who are either 1-2 or 1-3. It is hard to contend that your league is better when you carry 5 absolute door-mats on the roster. Plus the top of the ACC is better than the top of the BE, at least in current rankings. Somebody else mentioned this, but several "lower-division" ACC teams gave "upper-division" BE teams seriously close games. Close only counts in horse-shoes and hand-grenades, but it is a somewhat telling sign.