PDA

View Full Version : First Time to Cameron - Recap

zdn_peanut
01-19-2009, 07:41 PM
I was fortunate enough to attend my first Duke game on Saturday against Georgetown. Here is what stuck out to me (geared to those who haven't had a chance to visit)

1. The campus is very...um scholarly. We arrived 3 hours early to roam around. I felt like we had stumbled upon the set of Dead Poets Society. The chapel was amazing.

2. K-ville. Awesome. I can't believe how the students live like that. Imagine camping in a garbage dump. There is trash everywhere, which i guess is inevitable. It's funny seeing this beautiful campus and then you have K ville. We hung out with the students, took some pictures, etc. Mind you it was 12 degrees on saturday and yet the students were lined up hours before tip off waiting to get in.

3. Cameron Indoor. I knew going in that it was going to be small, but i had no idea. It looks like an academic building from the outside. I love how everyone packs inside.

4. Gametime. The crazies are awesome. I thought it was hilarious how they greet each player on the opposing team when they are announced, they yell back, "hi (players first name") and wave.

Then they when they start hopping on the bleachers to start the game and the "lets go duke" chant when we are on offense. gave me goose bumps.

We got to see crazy towel guy , oh baby ( a take on dickie v i guess.....they crazies yell "oh" and then one student has a fake baby that he holds up and the crazies yell "baby". , and the mascot surfboard.

All in all it was a great experience and I can't wait to go back

wisteria
01-19-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm glad that you got to see Cameron near its best. I would missing Cameron and the Crazies so much when I leave.

bigj4194
01-19-2009, 10:11 PM
oh baby ( a take on dickie v i guess.....they crazies yell "oh" and then one student has a fake baby that he holds up and the crazies yell "baby".

Glad we actually got to have a good chance/play for the "O-Baby" Cheer as I am the person with the baby :)

Also glad to hear your experience was enjoyable. I hope you get another chance soon

Ders24
01-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Very good game to make it to, and I hope you are able to come back soon.

dcheek36
01-20-2009, 09:24 AM
Did you guys have any special chants for Greg Monroe??

Cameron
01-20-2009, 11:51 AM

I couldn't clearly hear all of Cameron's cheers as I watching from the bowels of my Ohio home, but I did particularly like the chant of, "Greg Paulus ... clap clap clap-clap-clap ... Greg Paulus," after Paulus took a charge on an out of control Greg Monroe.

Priceless is the word, I think.

Kim*
01-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Glad we actually got to have a good chance/play for the "O-Baby" Cheer as I am the person with the baby :)

I was excited to see the cheer when I was at the VTech game a few weeks ago. Loved it. :D

DukePA
01-20-2009, 01:58 PM

Also glad to hear your experience was enjoyable. I hope you get another chance soon

Strong work!!

_Gary
01-20-2009, 02:00 PM
Did we drop the second half of the "Hi" cheer after opposing players are introduced? Just wondering because it's been a while since I've seen a pre-game aired live from Cameron.

bigj4194
01-20-2009, 02:31 PM

Good Greg (points to Paulus) Bad Greg (points to monroe)

newBlue23
01-20-2009, 04:11 PM
As someone who also attended their first game in Cameron I have to agree that it was an amazing experience. You could literally feel the energy in there come game time.

4. Gametime. The crazies are awesome. I thought it was hilarious how they greet each player on the opposing team when they are announced, they yell back, "hi (players first name") and wave.

I think you missed the second half of the cheer. They yell ""hi (players first name) you suck!" and wave.

wbs2455
01-20-2009, 04:25 PM
The "you suck" hasn't been included after the "hi _____" for at least 6 years with the potential exception of small pockets of students who are new.

_Gary
01-20-2009, 04:42 PM
The "you suck" hasn't been included after the "hi _____" for at least 6 years with the potential exception of small pockets of students who are new.

Wow! Has it been that long for real? I knew I hadn't heard it via TV in some time, but I didn't realize it had been 6 years.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-20-2009, 05:05 PM
One of the officials took care of Monroe when the technical was called.

bjornolf
01-20-2009, 06:14 PM

Coming back from commercial at some point, they showed you for a good five or six seconds. You were just standing there holding the baby in front of you. There was a point or two when you were in view waving the baby in some small corner of the screen, but coming back from the commercial, you were center screen, close up, just calmly standing, holding the baby. My small children thought he was real, and thought his "horns" were hysterically funny. Too bad they didn't get you "swingin' the baby". :rolleyes: Very disappointed at that. ;) To be a good media slut, you gotta be constantly lookin' for that camera with the light on it. When I was at Duke, you couldn't bring a camera into Cameron without hundreds of students goin' nuts for it.

wisteria
01-20-2009, 06:19 PM
I don't think the crazies do the "Hi" and wave thing at the second half, as players don't get individually introduced at that time.

And I don't think I've ever heard "Hi, @@@, you suck", at least not by the crazies as a whole, in the past couple years.

Rudy
01-21-2009, 09:24 AM
I don't think the crazies do the "Hi" and wave thing at the second half, as players don't get individually introduced at that time.

And I don't think I've ever heard "Hi, @@@, you suck", at least not by the crazies as a whole, in the past couple years.

And for that I am glad. The "you suck" chants should be left to the classless, imagination-deprived Maryland fans.

Lest you think I'm just an old fuddy-duddy, I do like the "You just got Czyz-ed" chant following a Czyz dunk, or even better the "Ho's got Czyz-ed" in the one game. When he develops and plays more perhaps we'll hear that one more.

Cary
01-21-2009, 10:04 AM
I have been a season ticket holder for over 10 years, and I can't remember the last time I heard the additional 'you s***' line during the introductions. If anyone is saying it, they are a very, very small minority.

UrinalCake
01-21-2009, 12:46 PM
I think the demise of this chant began on Tim Duncan's junior year. When everyone yelled "Hey Tim, you suck" before the game, people realized how stupid it was because obviously he does not suck. Saying he sucks just makes us look stupid and uneducated, like people who say that Coach K sucks. Similarly, some fans were chanting "Marcus Camby" during the game (because he was another of the country's top big men at the time, and I guess the implication was that Camby was better) and then Duncan went off and single-handedly blew us out in the second half. There was some discussion in the Chronicle and I guess the "you suck" chant just sort of faded.

I have similar thoughts about the "overrated" chant - it's stupid and doesn't make sense to say. If your team is winning, then saying the opponent is overrated is saying they're actually not good, therefore it shouldn't be a big deal that your team is beating them. It's essentially a put-down of your own team. I'd prefer to say that the other team is NOT overrated, that our team is just that much better. Kind of a pet peeve of mine...

Edouble
01-21-2009, 07:37 PM
I think the demise of this chant began on Tim Duncan's junior year. When everyone yelled "Hey Tim, you suck" before the game, people realized how stupid it was because obviously he does not suck. Saying he sucks just makes us look stupid and uneducated, like people who say that Coach K sucks. Similarly, some fans were chanting "Marcus Camby" during the game (because he was another of the country's top big men at the time, and I guess the implication was that Camby was better) and then Duncan went off and single-handedly blew us out in the second half. There was some discussion in the Chronicle and I guess the "you suck" chant just sort of faded.

I think it went on long after that. I remember hearing it on TV and cringing post-graduation (1999). I am very glad that it has died out because it is incredibly stupid. It completely siphons away any humor from the "Hi ___". I don't see how any person smart enough for Duke wouldn't immediately recognize this.

LetItBD08
01-21-2009, 07:49 PM
I have similar thoughts about the "overrated" chant - it's stupid and doesn't make sense to say. If your team is winning, then saying the opponent is overrated is saying they're actually not good, therefore it shouldn't be a big deal that your team is beating them. It's essentially a put-down of your own team. I'd prefer to say that the other team is NOT overrated, that our team is just that much better. Kind of a pet peeve of mine...

Coach K agrees. He discussed basically that exact same thing when he talked to us the night before the UNC game last year. He never understood why a fanbase would cheapen its team's hard fought win like that.

As far as the "...you suck" goes... I personally hate it. It's just stupid on so many levels. Over the past four years, there would be pockets of morons in the student section who would do it. For the most part we kept it classy. I do, however, remember an instance or two where it was definitely noticeable.

Devilhawks
01-21-2009, 09:31 PM
I think we should do the "you suck" thing to just ONE player during each introduction. Make 'em think a little...

Edouble
01-21-2009, 10:43 PM
I think we should do the "you suck" thing to just ONE player during each introduction. Make 'em think a little...

...or get that particular player fired up?

Lulu
01-22-2009, 06:05 AM

That's actually hilarious.

However, I went to virtually every game in my time and I'm guessing the "You Suck" came to a halt around '96 +/- a year. Coach K got on the mike once requesting that it not be done, and although it had been done in every game in my tenure up to that point, it was never done again while I was there (maybe a few students who didn't get the message, but were far less audible). Until then, everyone did it.

DukePA's Mom
01-22-2009, 10:14 AM
I have been a season ticket holder for over 10 years, and I can't remember the last time I heard the additional 'you s***' line during the introductions. If anyone is saying it, they are a very, very small minority.

We have been season ticket holders since "67, longer than most of you were born. My hearing still works. It appears to me if we are playing a very good team is when the "you suck" comes into the "greeting". Our seats are behind the bench way up on the last row. It may be where you sit that you cannot hear the "you suck". I agree most of the students are not participating.

I wish the students would post on DBR the cheer sheet. I know they are passsed out before the games but we never see them.

DBR, keep up the good work. Love it.
ps: if my speeling is bad, at my age, who cares?

Bluedog
01-22-2009, 10:38 AM
I wish the students would post on DBR the cheer sheet. I know they are passsed out before the games but we never see them.

I think that'd be a bad idea. Never good for the cheer sheet to be on the internet as public knowledge. A few years back Maryland plotted to get something incorrect added to the cheer sheet (something sounding like "Myron Piggie"). It didn't work though (i.e. there was no cheer with that "inside info"), but it did make it to the cheer sheet which became public. And I think one person wrote something similar (but non-related) on a dry erase board during a free throw. Got a lot of grief for that....Sorry for the lack of details. I'm sure somebody else knows more about it.

UrinalCake
01-22-2009, 12:02 PM
I think that'd be a bad idea. Never good for the cheer sheet to be on the internet as public knowledge. A few years back Maryland plotted to get something incorrect added to the cheer sheet (something sounding like "Myron Piggie"). It didn't work though (i.e. there was no cheer with that "inside info"), but it did make it to the cheer sheet which became public. And I think one person wrote something similar (but non-related) on a dry erase board during a free throw. Got a lot of grief for that....Sorry for the lack of details. I'm sure somebody else knows more about it.

The story that appeared in Sports Illustrated was that some Maryland fans passed on a "fake" cheer sheet in K-ville before their game with us which stated that one of the Maryland players' nicknames was "Piggie." So during the game the Duke fans chanted "Piggie" when that player was at the line. The name was actually a reference to Myron Piggie, who is linked to some of the infractions that Corey Maggette allegedly committed while he was in high school (what ever happened with that anyways? As far as I know Duke was never sanctioned for anything...) So the Maryland fans actually got us to make fun of one of own players.

That's what the SI story said at least. I hadn't heard the part about this being only a "public" cheer sheet and not the actual cheer sheet. BTW I'm not a fan of the whole cheer sheet idea to begin with...

UrinalCake
01-22-2009, 12:06 PM
Coach K agrees. He discussed basically that exact same thing when he talked to us the night before the UNC game last year. He never understood why a fanbase would cheapen its team's hard fought win like that.

Huh.. well, good to know that he and I think alike 8-). I went to a Duke game at N.C. State in Raleigh once, and the whole time all the fans just shouted "Duke sucks! Duke sucks!" And "overrated! You suck!" They ended up winning the game, and the fans stormed the court. I was like, if Duke sucks so much, why are you so excited about winning? You must REALLY suck if you're storming the court for beating a team that sucks. And how about spending some energy cheering for your own team?

hurleyfor3
01-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Re "Overrated": The first time we cheered that it was directed at a player, not an entire team. Specifically, unc's Eric Montross, who had been among the nation's most highly prized recruits. Considering his career accomplishments -- good but certainly not all-time great -- the cheer was justified.

LetItBD08
01-22-2009, 10:50 PM
The story that appeared in Sports Illustrated was that some Maryland fans passed on a "fake" cheer sheet in K-ville before their game with us which stated that one of the Maryland players' nicknames was "Piggie." So during the game the Duke fans chanted "Piggie" when that player was at the line. The name was actually a reference to Myron Piggie, who is linked to some of the infractions that Corey Maggette allegedly committed while he was in high school (what ever happened with that anyways? As far as I know Duke was never sanctioned for anything...) So the Maryland fans actually got us to make fun of one of own players.

That's what the SI story said at least. I hadn't heard the part about this being only a "public" cheer sheet and not the actual cheer sheet. BTW I'm not a fan of the whole cheer sheet idea to begin with...

This happened my freshman year. Yes the Md fans got the reference put on the cheer sheet. Back then any emailed suggestion to the proper line monitor would get on the sheet (they like to fact check a little better now). I believe they made up a scenerio where Nik Caner-Medley's girlfriend "Myra" would call him "Piggy." Their intention was to get the student section to chant "Myra and Piggy," or as it would have sounded to the crowd "Myron Piggie." There were chants of Piggie sporadically throughout the game. One kid in the band held up this sign, which was already referred to in this thread: http://www.heelsblog.com/piggy1.jpg

In my opinion it was a relatively minor occurrence in the game. We found out the cheer sheet had been infiltrated a couple days later. Unfortunately, the real lasting memory I had from that game was that it was the first time I ever saw Duke lose in person.