PDA

View Full Version : can WAKE go completely UNDEFEATED?

moonpie23
01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
since there was so much pontification on UNC running the table, i thought i would just ask...

Bluedog
01-19-2009, 01:22 PM
since there was so much pontification on UNC running the table, i thought i would just ask...

Will they go undefeated? No.

ncexnyc
01-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Is it possible? Yes. Is it probable? No.

shadowfax336
01-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Yes, and Olek Czyz might leave and get picked #1 in the NBA draft this year too!

It could happen, it just won't.

Ibleedblue87
01-19-2009, 01:27 PM
They have to play Duke twice. Of course they won't go undefeated!

Cameron
01-19-2009, 01:36 PM
Seeing as how the Grand Daddy (the ACC Tournament) is still in question, I would say no.

Wake hasn't had the best of times in ACC Tournament play over the years, and I just happen to think our team is best stacked to take home the conference championship this season.

I do, however, consider Wake to be the country's best team, and the Deacons are rightfully ranked number one. I just doubt Wake's ability to put together three straight in an event the program has only won twice since 1962, Billy Packer's playing tenure in Winston-Salem.

jv001
01-19-2009, 01:42 PM
I consider Wake to be like several other teams that could win the NCAA tournament this year, but go undefeated. It was not that long that same question was being asked about unc and we see that has turned out. I don't think Wake will go undefeated, but they are really good. Just like Duke, unc, Oklahoma, Pitt, and some others. But not undefeated. Go Duke!

geraldsneighbor
01-19-2009, 02:04 PM
January 28th when Duke invades Lawrence Joel Coliseum hopefully the question is answered with a Duke win, thus ending the undefeated chatter.

CameronCrazy'11
01-19-2009, 02:27 PM
If you gave me 1000:1 odds on Wake going undefeated, I still wouldn't take that bet. Not gonna happen.

YmoBeThere
01-19-2009, 02:28 PM
If you gave me 1000:1 odds on Wake going undefeated, I still wouldn't take that bet. Not gonna happen.

Okay, I'll give you a thousand to one, but you can only bet a penny...haha.

BlueintheFace
01-19-2009, 02:42 PM
No, and I am not yet convinced that they will end up in the top 2 of the acc.

brevity
01-19-2009, 04:30 PM
Part of me would find this result amusing. In the season where UNC is all but coronated champion, young and scrappy Wake Forest runs the table instead.

Kind of like how people were secretly rooting for the Tennessee Titans to go 19-0, not because they liked the team, but rather to stick it to the Patriots.

Ah, good times... it won't happen.

camion
01-19-2009, 05:23 PM
They have a better chance than UNC does at this point.:)

MChambers
01-19-2009, 05:46 PM
Wake has a better chance than all of the other teams put together, but Pomeroy calculates it at 1.74% for the regular season. Then Wake would have to win 9 more games mostly against stiff competition.

Not going to happen.

SilkyJ
01-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Yes, and Olek Czyz might leave and get picked #1 in the NBA draft this year too!

It could happen, it just won't.

Anything can happen, but no it won't. Just too much talent in our league. I can see them sleeping on a big FSU team that can match their size and athletic ability. Not to mention they rely on young players who wear down late in the season, and the ACC tournament is a grinder.

speaking of which: dkbaseball. I'm calling in our bet. I believe you had Olek playing 15mpg by February, and I had you listed as matriculating to the psychiatric ward in Reno hospital shortly thereafter :D

calltheobvious
01-19-2009, 05:55 PM

Five-point play.

One for clever,
Two more for coupling with irony, and
Two bonus points for doing it at Carolina's expense.

grossbus
01-19-2009, 08:52 PM
i do like them coming in ranked #1

ForeverBlowingBubbles
01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
no no no no

Jumbo
01-19-2009, 09:28 PM

As opposed to "partially" undefeated? ;)

CarterTheGreat
01-19-2009, 10:46 PM
I'd bet a dollar on 1000:1 odds but I'm very doubtful it would happen. It's almost impossible to go undefeated anymore.

Indoor66
01-20-2009, 09:37 AM
Only if they win all their games!

allenmurray
01-20-2009, 10:19 AM
As opposed to "partially" undefeated? ;)

Well there is the difference between undefeated overall and undefeated within conference play.

That being said, I think I'll go buy a semi-boneless ham. ;) (What the heck are those anyway?)

dball
01-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Going "completely" undefeated would be "very" unique

camion
01-20-2009, 10:56 AM
It just so happens that UNC is still MOSTLY undefeated. Though there's a big difference between mostly undefeated and completely undefeated, it could still rate a banner. ;)

jv001
01-20-2009, 03:52 PM
It just so happens that UNC is still MOSTLY undefeated. Though there's a big difference between mostly undefeated and completely undefeated, it could still rate a banner. ;)

Don't say it too loudly. They(unc) will put one in the rafters. Go Duke!

Hancock 4 Duke
01-20-2009, 07:40 PM
I don't really think so. Once they start playing really good teams (Duke, UNC), they will lose their streak. I thought Duke could go undefeated until Michigan.

JasonEvans
01-21-2009, 10:03 AM

Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that UNC here is only MOSTLY undefeated. There's a big difference between mostly undefeated and all undefeated. Mostly undefeated is slightly defeated. With all undefeated, well, with all undefeated there's usually only one thing you can do.

What's that?

Go through Dean's clothes and look for loose change.

--Jason "sorry, that was bad" Evans

JasonEvans
01-21-2009, 10:05 AM
speaking of which: dkbaseball. I'm calling in our bet. I believe you had Olek playing 15mpg by February, and I had you listed as matriculating to the psychiatric ward in Reno hospital shortly thereafter :D

You may need to put this in its own thread to ensure that DK sees it.

Did you guys have an actual bet? What were the stakes?

--Jason "with more stud big men coming in the next couple recruiting classes, I wonder if Olek will look elsewhere?" Evans

Wander
01-21-2009, 06:14 PM
Once they start playing really good teams (Duke, UNC), they will lose their streak.

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... anyone else care to take this one?

WojoSay?
01-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... anyone else care to take this one?

It's obvious he meant:

Duke's two games with WFU in the regular season and the UNC semi-final matchup in the ACC tourney, since WFU has already won the only UNC game on their regular season schedule.

VaTech could be a trap game tonight.

brevity
01-21-2009, 06:32 PM
Whoo-hoo-hoo, look who knows so much. It just so happens that UNC here is only MOSTLY undefeated. There's a big difference between mostly undefeated and all undefeated. Mostly undefeated is slightly defeated. With all undefeated, well, with all undefeated there's usually only one thing you can do.

What's that?

Go through Dean's clothes and look for loose change.

--Jason "sorry, that was bad" Evans

Not at all. I was going to post something similar yesterday, but I wouldn't have thought of the Dean line. Yours is better.

roywhite
01-21-2009, 07:47 PM
VaTech could be a trap game tonight.

Wake is currently getting hammered by VaTech in the 1st half (game at W-S). Aminu took an elbow, McFarland is in foul trouble, VaTech is playing well, and Wake looks vulnerable.

YmoBeThere
01-21-2009, 09:05 PM
They will have to play very well to pull this one out. I may have owed someone $10...

Edouble
01-21-2009, 09:11 PM
We'll start this discussion up again next October...:o

grossbus
01-21-2009, 09:14 PM
oops

end of thread.

JBDuke
01-21-2009, 09:14 PM
....and now the inanity of the OP is revealed. This thread is CLOSED.