PDA

View Full Version : Local TV Decisions

brianl
01-19-2009, 09:38 AM
You've got to love the way local television sometimes work. This weekend, I got up earlier than normal for a Saturday, braved the cold temps, so I could be done by 1:30 to watch the Duke/G-Town game.

I switched the channel only to be horrified by the words scrolling across the bottom of the screen (WTVR will be joining Duke-Georgetown in progress at the conclusion of this contest).

How enjoyable it was to watch the exciting last 12 minutes of the NC State and Georgia Tech Game.

On top of that, both teams didn't even have the decency to end in regulation.

Thank you RAYCOM for broadcasting excellence in the Richmond area.

Jarhead
01-19-2009, 11:08 AM
You've got to love the way local television sometimes work. This weekend, I got up earlier than normal for a Saturday, braved the cold temps, so I could be done by 1:30 to watch the Duke/G-Town game.

I switched the channel only to be horrified by the words scrolling across the bottom of the screen (WTVR will be joining Duke-Georgetown in progress at the conclusion of this contest).

How enjoyable it was to watch the exciting last 12 minutes of the NC State and Georgia Tech Game.

On top of that, both teams didn't even have the decency to end in regulation.

Thank you RAYCOM for broadcasting excellence in the Richmond area.
We had the exact same problem here in North Carolina. WRAL in Raleigh was the culprit. In their defense, they did carry the full Duke-Georgetown game on one of their digital channels. They still were pretty stupid by showing the fight for eleventh place in standard definition on their HD channel. The Duke game, a game of national significance, originated in HD, but they put it on an SD channel. Blame it on your local station. RAYCOM's only sin is to continue originating ACC games in standard definition.

moonpie23
01-19-2009, 12:25 PM
raycom execs MUST have photos of SOMEONE doing SOMETHING......how else could they continue to land the ACC contracts for TV ......it took them till last year to come up with ONE high def camera......standard definition = hoover stock..

i pay $$ to enjoy the best high def pic you can get and what do they give us? crap.....analog crap...

Ibleedblue87
01-19-2009, 01:29 PM
And of course it went into overtime!

ricks68
01-19-2009, 01:35 PM
At least you guys can somehow see the State game. Here in Houston, we will not get the State game and they didn't have the Wake/Clemson game except on a special sports pkg. That's one reason why I will be in Cameron to see the State game in person.

ricks

Cameron
01-19-2009, 01:52 PM
You can get the State game on ESPN Full Court.

For $75, you can order the mid season package (about a $40 or $50 discount from Full Court's original package) and get three Duke games that would otherwise not be televised (NC State @ Duke, Miami @ Duke, and Florida State @ Duke -- Greg Paulus, Dave McClure, and Jordan Davidson Senior Day) as well as countless other NCAA games around the nation.

IMO, that is well worth it if you have the extra cash floating around.