PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Philadelphia Eagles vs. Arizona Cardinals

DukeUsul
01-18-2009, 10:50 AM
So who wins today's NFC championship game? Maybe we can get a discussion going.

DukeUsul
01-18-2009, 10:56 AM
Now I'm not biased or anything.... yeah right.... but I think the Eagles defense is consistently better than Arizona's. People are talking about all the picks they had last week, but I think that has more to do with Jake than with Arizona's DBs.

The key to the game is Philly pressuring Arizona's passing game. The Eagles have shown they can shut down a great running game when it counts. They give up yardage, but get stops at the right time (see 4th down and red zone stops against the vaunted G-girls running game). I expect to see more of that today. On top of that, the Eagles have a great pass rush that forces QB's to make bad decisions. In a one-on-one competition, Philly's undersized CBs would have some difficulty against Fitzgerald (huge height advantage). But Philly has shown the ability to get QBs to make bad decisions, and guys like Dawkins and Samuel are very good at being in the right spot to pick off miscues. We should see more of that today.

Westbrook is injured, but he'll play and that should be enough to distract the Cards defense. The Giants had to account for Westbrook last week (he didn't end up with great numbers) and that left things open for other guys to step up. Expect Correll Buckhalter to get a few good runs and Celek and Curtis to make some big catches for 1st downs. The Eagles offense needs to be just good enough to take advantage of what their defense gives em.

Eags over Cards, 24-14.

YmoBeThere
01-18-2009, 11:33 AM
An Eagle would beat a Cardinal head to head anytime...with one wing tied behind its back and one eye closed.

DukeUsul
01-18-2009, 11:39 AM
An Eagle would beat a Cardinal head to head anytime...with one wing tied behind its back and one eye closed.

I agree.

Image has a slightly bad word in it, so I'll link instead of embed.
http://www.dukeusul.net/images/eagscards.jpg

bjornolf
01-18-2009, 11:40 AM
I've got the Iggles, but I'm not 100% confident. Both teams did lose to the Skins afterall, though Philly got swept. (See my aside about 14/17 Super Bowl winners losing to the Skins at some point in the preseason or regular season) The thing that cracked me up was one of the "experts" on ESPN saying that the Ravens would beat the Steelers, then going on to cleverly say "and to complete the all-bird Superbowl, I'm picking the Cardinals!" Duh! As soon as you picked the Ravens, we had an all-bird Superbowl. Little too clever for his own good there, eh? ;)

YmoBeThere
01-18-2009, 11:41 AM
I agree.

I voted for the home team(or former home team) however. Doesn't America love an underdog?

Ben63
01-18-2009, 11:59 AM
Should be a great game. I think a rejuvinated Edge is better than a banged up Westbrook. The Cardinals have a better passing game, but the key is the Cardinals O-line and their ability to pick up blitzes. If Warner has time he will find his recievers. One injury no one is talking about is TE Stephen Spach. He has come up huge for the Cards the past few weeks and will not be in the lineup today. If the Cardinals defense plays like it has the past few weeks, the Cards should win this game, and being home always helps.

DukeUsul
01-18-2009, 12:16 PM
I do agree somewhat, Ben. If the Cards O-line can pick up the Eagles blitzes, they have a shot to win. But that's a stiff challenge. And Edge will almost surely have a better day than Westbrook. But look at the numbers the Eagles gave up to the very good runners NYG had last week. Jacobs and Ward had 140 yards or so between them, much better than Westbrook's 36. But the Eagles stopped them when it mattered. I fully expect Edge to get yards, but when the field shortens near the goal line, the Eagles will be able to stuff him.

DevilAlumna
01-18-2009, 01:56 PM
I agree.

With regards to your image, the bright red cardinal is the male one. Females are more brownish in color. ;)

YmoBeThere
01-18-2009, 02:08 PM
With regards to your image, the bright red cardinal is the male one. Females are more brownish in color. ;)

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

DukeUsul
01-18-2009, 02:52 PM

LOL :)

EarlJam
01-18-2009, 02:55 PM

Yes, but do not forget that a "Cardinal" has already taken out a team from Pennsylvania this weekend in an upset (Louisville over Pittsburgh).

This IS the weekend of the Cardinal!

Go Warner!

-EarlJam

YmoBeThere
01-18-2009, 03:16 PM
Yes, but do not forget that a "Cardinal" has already taken out a team from Pennsylvania this weekend in an upset (Louisville over Pittsburgh).

This IS the weekend of the Cardinal!

Go Warner!

-EarlJam

The Stanford Cardinal(coached by Johnny D)defeated the California Golden Bears.

So, that is why I voted for AZ in the poll. I think I have both bases covered now.

DukeUsul
01-18-2009, 03:28 PM
So far the Cards are doing better controlling the line of scrimmage. Hoping the Eags can change that and get some pressure on the old man.

DukeUsul
01-18-2009, 04:21 PM
Ok so the Eagles apparently forgot to bring their talent with them on the plane from Philly.

captmojo
01-18-2009, 05:07 PM
I said elsewhere that I have to go with the bunch that beat my team. (Panthers) This way I can say that I lost to the ones who took out everyone else. Right now, gee, they're looking swell.

DukeUsul
01-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Keep throwing to Celek and the Eags have a shot.

DING DING DING 1000

A-Tex Devil
01-18-2009, 06:19 PM
2 point conversion caught by former Duke TE (who transferred to Delaware), Ben Patrick, btw

CameronBornAndBred
01-18-2009, 06:26 PM
I just voted Arizona.

YmoBeThere
01-18-2009, 09:41 PM
I just voted Arizona.

Good call!