PDA

View Full Version : I think we need a poll on who should be #1...

bjornolf
01-18-2009, 07:56 AM
I was listening to Jay Bilas and the other "experts" on ESPN discussing who should be #1 now. Some of them said Wake based on accomplishments, others said that if it was supposed to be the best team that had the best shot at being champion, it should be Pitt or UNC still. None said Duke. I think it should always be about accomplishments, and I think that's the flaw in having the preseason poll... there's no way it can be based on accomplishments. I think we can all agree that if Wake had been ANYWHERE near us in the preseason poll, they would have passed us when we lost and been #1 now. I love Duke, but the polls don't matter right now. We tripped over a Michigan team we should have beaten by 10. Wake's beaten everyone, even another good undefeated team in Clemson. They deserve it for now. There are only two polls that matter in my book, and one isn't even a "poll" so to speak... and those are the seedings in the NCAA tourney and the last poll that shows who the national champion is. I think Wake deserves to leapfrog us right now. We'll see who's #1 after we go head to head. That'll matter more. As long as there's an undefeated team that's played decent competition this far into the season, they deserve #1 if there aren't any other undefeateds. Maybe splitting the polls would be fair, us #1 in one, them #1 in the other. But that's a copout, so I'm not putting it as an option.

That's my take.

camion
01-18-2009, 08:02 AM
I want Wake to be #1 when we play them. It seems that when #1 and #2 play #2 always wins. :)

Billy Dat
01-18-2009, 08:33 AM
Give it to Wake, I like the "under the radar" wave we've been riding - because this is as under the radar as you can be being Duke and being ranked 2nd. No one really thinks we can win the title, let's keep it that way.

moonpie23
01-18-2009, 08:36 AM
it's gonna be wake...they are still undefeated, took care of the annointed ones, took care of the team that BEAT the annointed ones IN chapel hill, and then went down to moo-u and took care of them....

we'll get our chance with them soon enough.....

OZZIE4DUKE
01-18-2009, 10:04 AM
Give it to Wake, I like the "under the radar" wave we've been riding - because this is as under the radar as you can be being Duke and being ranked 2nd. No one really thinks we can win the title, let's keep it that way.
I haven't voted yet because I just can't pull the trigger on voting for someone besides Duke. And while I think we have 'flown under the radar' so far this season, after watching us beat Georgetown yesterday, I think we've grown into a #1 team, with still more room for improvement! And I doubt that whether we're #1 or #2 that we will be under ANYONE'S radar from here on out. We are, after all, DUKE!

OK, I'm going to break Wake's 11 - 0 perfect vote to this point. No team is perfect, not even us :D

bjornolf
01-18-2009, 11:29 AM
Let Wake deal with the #1 pressure for a while. We always have that kind of pressure, no matter where we're ranked. So, let's spread it around a little. ;)

Is Moo-U Clemson? Do they have a big agriculture department or something? I know VT has both a huge AG department and Vet. department.

davekay1971
01-18-2009, 12:46 PM
I hope we stay number 2 this week so Mark "My Daddy, Billy, Got Me My Job" Packer can keep his snide "Did you hear, Duke's number 2" routine up for another week. That never gets old, and hearing it endlessly repeated just confirms the man's creativity, IMHO.

Also, based on results this year, it's hard to argue against Wake as number 1...until we beat them, that is.

Faison1
01-18-2009, 01:10 PM
Us against the World, Baby!!!!!! Keep up the disrespect. Let Wake be #1.....who cares about rankings?!?!

allenmurray
01-18-2009, 02:04 PM
I am tempted to say Wake - given that they are undefeated. However, the strength of schedule difference ispretty significant (Duke 6th, Wake 140th).

jimbonelson
01-18-2009, 02:25 PM
duke... why should they leapfrog us.If pitt won would we move to three and them to two??

Jarhead
01-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Here's a cliche for you -- polls are meaningless. Only as predictions do they have value, however slight. Oh, yeah, they are fun to talk about, but which is better? Being #1 now, or after the NCAA finals in April?

bjornolf
01-18-2009, 06:02 PM
If you read my original post, you'll see:

"I love Duke, but the polls don't matter right now...There are only two polls that matter in my book, and one isn't even a 'poll' so to speak... and those are the seedings in the NCAA tourney and the last poll that shows who the national champion is."

I just thought it would be fun.

juise
01-18-2009, 06:45 PM
It seems that when #1 and #2 play #2 always wins. :)

I was at a game in New Jersey once in which J.J. Redick went off and made #2 Texas look silly.