PDA

View Full Version : Duke vs. Georgetown Play of the Game

JDev
01-17-2009, 11:03 PM
Discussion in another thread made me think it might be fun to have a "Play of the Game" thread after games, and see what people thought was the most exciting play, or the turning point or what have you. It might work better as a poll, but for this instance just descriptions will suffice. For me, I think the biggest play was Paulus's 25 foot three in the second half. It pushed Duke's lead up to 13 and really got the crowd going. It also seemed to energize the team. Plus, it was great to see Paulus returning to form.

Cell-R
01-17-2009, 11:27 PM
The play of the game... There were so many good ones!

I'll pick one and then give you my two runner-ups.

THE play of the game to me was Paulus taking the charge for Monroe's third foul. Without this play, Georgetown could have put together a comeback much much easier. Heck, Paulus basically took Georgetown's star player out of the game. The team had a +10 to -15 (or was it +15 to -10?) +/- at one point comparing Monroe in the game vs. Monroe out of the game. I think it's safe to say that without this play, causing Monroe's foul trouble, the game could have ended much differently.

Now that I have THE play of the game out of the way, Henderson's alley ranks a close second. It seems like a bold move for a coach to run that play out of a timeout.

And a not-so-far third place would go to Singler's hustle play. The play in which he ended up on the 4th row of the stands? I guess it probably didn't change the outcome of the game, but Singler's hustle and drive has to be extremely motivating to the rest of the team. I can't think of anyone else who ends up on the floor, in the crowd, or getting stitches more than Kyle Singler.

calltheobvious
01-17-2009, 11:51 PM
The play of the game... There were so many good ones!

I'll pick one and then give you my two runner-ups.

THE play of the game to me was Paulus taking the charge for Monroe's third foul. Without this play, Georgetown could have put together a comeback much much easier. Heck, Paulus basically took Georgetown's star player out of the game. The team had a +10 to -15 (or was it +15 to -10?) +/- at one point comparing Monroe in the game vs. Monroe out of the game. I think it's safe to say that without this play, causing Monroe's foul trouble, the game could have ended much differently.

Now that I have THE play of the game out of the way, Henderson's alley ranks a close second. It seems like a bold move for a coach to run that play out of a timeout.

And a not-so-far third place would go to Singler's hustle play. The play in which he ended up on the 4th row of the stands? I guess it probably didn't change the outcome of the game, but Singler's hustle and drive has to be extremely motivating to the rest of the team. I can't think of anyone else who ends up on the floor, in the crowd, or getting stitches more than Kyle Singler.

This one should be near-amphibious.

DukieBoy
01-17-2009, 11:52 PM
For me, it's a tie

One didn't even occur on the court. When Monroe picked up the technical, that was a huge turning point for the game. Monroe was forced to sit for a large portion of the second half then and Duke was able to go on a run to build a big lead.

Second was Henderon's pull up three towards the end of the first half. It capped off the 17-2 run and sent CIS into hysteria and gave G a huge confidence boost.

ACCBBallFan
01-18-2009, 12:39 AM
Those are four good choices with G's dunk off the in boiunds the most exciting.

Henderson's other dunk or near dunk, Singler's dunk off the break are also good choices.

With respect to most helpful to Duke's future success:

Miles mid range jumper and 7 decent minutes and

Nolan's uncontested drive when Monroe came back in with 4 fouls are encouraging, as is

Paulus's overall competitiveness.

Jon also seemed more confident in his shot, even though he was only 2-7 with 1-4 from 3 land.

diveonthefloor
01-18-2009, 08:35 AM
I particularly liked EMail (Elliot) finishing off a baseline drive off a feed from Marty. He got hammered, didnt get the call, but finished nicely.

moonpie23
01-18-2009, 08:39 AM
i really liked that mid-range jumper for Miles goin STR8 in......and greg slapping the floor...