PDA

View Full Version : Down Goes Pitt/Who is #1 Now

JDev
01-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Pitt is about to lose to Louisville. Does that make Duke #1 come Monday? Or will Wake jump them?

3rd Dukie
01-17-2009, 08:22 PM
Louisville just knocked off Pitt.

3rd Dukie
01-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Pitt is about to lose to Louisville. Does that make Duke #1 come Monday? Or will Wake jump them?

You beat me to it.

Skitzle
01-17-2009, 08:25 PM
We'll find out next weekend. Duke/Wake will be 1. vs 2. any way you slice it.

Bob Green
01-17-2009, 08:26 PM
Wake Forest deserves the #1 ranking as the last unbeaten team. They are very good and this is a good opportunity for me to admit I was wrong. I've stated several times in a couple of different threads that Wake's inexperience would keep them behind Duke, UNC, and Clemson in the ACC standings. The Demon Deacons have proven me wrong with quality wins over UNC and Clemson.

DukeUsul
01-17-2009, 08:28 PM
I fully expect Wake to jump to #1.

JDev
01-17-2009, 08:28 PM
You beat me to it.

Haha, no worries. I think that there is no way the Wake jumps Duke. They both beat top 15 teams. I know that Wake's win was on the road, but that is not enough of a reason to jump. I don't even consider the fact that Clemson was undefeated, because they are seemingly always undefeated or close to it prior to conference play.

devildeac
01-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Doesn't matter that much to me;).

I'd vote Wake #1 based on their W over the holes, their W on the road today and I'd like the target on their back to be just a little bit bigger than the one that is frequently on ours.

SMO
01-17-2009, 08:36 PM

I'd vote for WFU #1 since they're undefeated and beat Clemson on the road. I'd like to see Duke remain the most under-the-radar #2 or #3 team I can ever remember and I'd love to continue to hear how Duke is not for real due to their lack of post presence and lack of lateral quickness.

JDev
01-17-2009, 08:39 PM
I'd vote for WFU #1 since they're undefeated and beat Clemson on the road. I'd like to see Duke remain the most under-the-radar #2 or #3 team I can ever remember and I'd love to continue to hear how Duke is not for real due to their lack of post presence and lack of lateral quickness.

Agreed. I would like to see Duke continue to fly under the radar a little, or at least as "under the radar" as Duke can be.

3rd Dukie
01-17-2009, 08:39 PM

Good point, at least until time for the NCAA seedings.

dukelifer
01-17-2009, 08:41 PM
It is fine for Wake to have it. They are undefeated and have beaten two top 10 teams in a week- one on the road. That is pretty impressive. It is better for Duke to be 2 going into Wake so they can take number 1 away from them.

SMO
01-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Good point, at least until time for the NCAA seedings.

Righto...somehow I don't think that will be a problem if Duke continues to play well given their SOS. I just hope the committee doesn't get too concerned with too many high seeds from the Big E and ACC. According to their own logic they shouldn't, but you never know.

dukestheheat
01-17-2009, 08:58 PM
Duke goes to #1 now in the USA Today/ESPN poll. That win versus Georgetown today, and the way in which it was won, will help hold off surging Wake Forest (which is a great team), I believe.

dukestheheat!

DukeBlood
01-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Doesn't really matter to me. Wake is the only undefeated team left, and with a few quality wins. Either way an ACC team will hold down the #1 and #2 spots.

I believe both teams are deserving but I have to think Wake has a tiny bit better case for #1. If Wake takes care of business against VT this week then they have a week off before the matchup with Duke. If Duke doesn't look past NCST or Maryland then we will find out who really is #1.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-17-2009, 09:16 PM
If Wake becomes #1, what can it hurt? They've played well and deserve this sort of recognition. Let the nipping dogs go after Wake's heels. I don't mind being near the top with another team #1. What really counts is who's #1 at the end of the season.

geraldsneighbor
01-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Not that it matters now but Wake should be 1. They're undefeated coming off of wins over UNC and at 9th ranked Clemson. I think it is pretty much a done deal atleast in the AP poll that Wake is 1. Duke may get the nod in the USA/ESPN poll, but either way you don't hang any banners in January.

Native
01-17-2009, 09:37 PM
I hope Wake gets #1. We play better when we're not on top. Plus, they deserve it. They're a talented young bunch who has overcome adversity with the tragic loss of Coach Prosser with the phenomenal play of players such as Teague. Let 'em have it and let 'em celebrate in Winston-Salem. We'll get 'em when the time is right. I'd rather be #1 at the end of the season than at the halfway point.

MB in MD
01-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Wake. Ken Pomeroy notwithstanding I thought that Wake already deserved a higher ranking than we have once it beat UNC and crushed BC. (Just because we were above Wake before those games doesn't mean we stay there until we lose--this isn't the BCS) As good as we are, and in spite of our great win today, with their win at Littlejohn, always a fearsome place to play, I think they deserve it.

And I think it's better for us. I don't want them to get any kind of chip on their shoulder about being slighted. I don't think they need any more motivation to play us.

jipops
01-17-2009, 10:34 PM
I hope it's Wake honestly, but it really doesn't matter. Will the local newspapers even mention it? That's the bigger question. Wake and Duke become the top 2 teams in the country but does anyone really care within the state lines of North Carolina? I'm betting the lead articles on the sports pages will be how UNC manhandled Miami and is back on track for the national title.

jipops
01-17-2009, 10:37 PM
but either way you don't hang any banners in January.

Some in pale blue do.

Cell-R
01-17-2009, 11:07 PM
I hope it's Wake honestly, but it really doesn't matter. Will the local newspapers even mention it? That's the bigger question. Wake and Duke become the top 2 teams in the country but does anyone really care within the state lines of North Carolina? I'm betting the lead articles on the sports pages will be how UNC manhandled Miami and is back on track for the national title.

You mean how Ellington manhandled Miami?

DukieBoy
01-17-2009, 11:44 PM
I'd like to see Duke remain the most under-the-radar #2 or #3 team I can ever remember and I'd love to continue to hear how Duke is not for real due to their lack of post presence and lack of lateral quickness.

First, it amazes me how Duke is really going under the radar this year (as opposed to other years) despite the fact that nearly everyone of our games in nationally televised. Writers aren't really talking about us very much and analysts aren't mentioning us in top team conversations. IMO, it's a great scenario as there is much less pressure on the team.

Second, I would give Wake the #1 seed. The beat the unbeatable team. Then, they followed up that emotional win with a big win on the road against Clemson today. They were already ahead of us in one of the polls, and I foresee them being #1 in both polls come Monday.

Lastly, when was the last time that one conference had teams 1, 2, and 3 in both polls as it will likely happen monday with Wake, Duke, and UNC. It has very likely occurred before I'm sure, but I personally do not recall this happening.

duketaylor
01-17-2009, 11:53 PM
jipops, I agree. I'd also vote and hope that Wake is voted #1. Other poster said Wake deserves it for beating the unbeatable team, but they had just been beaten by BC a few days before. Only unbeatable left is Wake;)
It would be cool if all three teams mentioned are the top 3 teams in the next poll, I'm not sure any conference had the top 3. Anybody out know this little factoid?

ACCBBallFan
01-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Wake Forest deserves the #1 ranking as the last unbeaten team. They are very good and this is a good opportunity for me to admit I was wrong. I've stated several times in a couple of different threads that Wake's inexperience would keep them behind Duke, UNC, and Clemson in the ACC standings. The Demon Deacons have proven me wrong with quality wins over UNC and Clemson.

Since Wake won, I agree with Bob that good wins vs UNC, broke BYU home strak and on road vs. Clemson justify a #1, whereas Duke split w Michigan. So in a sense Duke has beaten every team they played too,

If Clemson had won, that would be their only really good win. So as only then unbeaten they would still have not been deserving #1, but top 10 regardless.

It's possible Duke and Wake will each will be number one in one of the two polls, but I expect Wake gets the nod in both with Duke #2 in both.

I still think UNC is the team to beat for NC but Wake, Duke and Clemson may make my annual all ACCF final four closer to reality.

adam
01-18-2009, 12:52 AM
I'm betting the lead articles on the sports pages will be how UNC manhandled Miami and is back on track for the national title.

Is there really that much bias toward UNC in the media? Is it a state-wide issue or just mainly in the triangle? Just wondering. Thanks!

Go Duke!!!

dukemomLA
01-18-2009, 01:16 AM
I'd vote for Wake Forest. Give them kudos for being unbeaten -- and their wins over some serious teams. (This is NOT a school who played 'cupcakes' for the first half of the season).

I'd also NOT want Duke be #1. It's been a curse the past few years. Make them earn it by beating UNC/Wake, etc. Tonight's win against Georgetown was a hard fought, physical victory and I'm sure they've learned much from that. But keep in mind, it was at Cameron. But they're still a 'work in progress' (IMHO).

And actually, I (at the moment) dodn't really consider our wonderful Devils as even the #2 team in the country. But soon, soon and hopefully ready to March.

LetItBD08
01-18-2009, 01:19 AM
Not that it matters now but Wake should be 1. They're undefeated coming off of wins over UNC and at 9th ranked Clemson. I think it is pretty much a done deal atleast in the AP poll that Wake is 1. Duke may get the nod in the USA/ESPN poll, but either way you don't hang any banners in January.

I doubt Duke will stay ahead of Wake in the USA/ESPN poll. We were only 4 'points' ahead of them this week: 729-725. Seems like that's not much to overcome...maybe a net of a coach or two upgrading Wake a little.
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/rankings

Anyways, like you said, doesn't mean anything yet.

hurleyfor3
01-18-2009, 01:22 AM
Duke.. under the radar... that's pretty funny. I guess the basis for comparison is years such as 1999-2001-02-04-06 when we never drop out of the top three.

Anyway, peaking in January is fun... when it's still January. Anyone else have a hunch Wake is peaking right now too?

Bob Green
01-18-2009, 02:41 AM
Is there really that much bias toward UNC in the media? Is it a state-wide issue or just mainly in the triangle? Just wondering. Thanks!

Go Duke!!!

Having been born and raised in Fayetteville, I can assure you the media bias extends outside the triangle as the Fayetteville Observer is, and always has been, a UNC Rag. While I haven't lived in Fayetteville for the past 31.5 years, I do visit the Observer website on a regular basis and UNC articles dominate the sports page.

snowdenscold
01-18-2009, 02:49 AM
So in a sense Duke has beaten every team they played too,

Interesting phrasing - I hadn't thought of it like that before. I like it =)

CameronCrazy'11
01-18-2009, 02:54 AM
Wake Forest will be number 1, but Duke will get first place votes for the first time since 2006(?). I don't particularly care that much, but I think it's great that the players can get that kind of recognition, given all the stuff they've had to hear for the past few years.

Lavabe
01-18-2009, 05:33 AM
During the little snippet that I saw of the Hole game, Vitale mentioned that he'd pick Wake.

I quickly changed the channel, thinking he would next talk about Derek Jeter.:rolleyes:

brevity
01-18-2009, 06:33 AM
Wake Forest has the more accomplished ACC resume. Duke has the more accomplished out-of-conference resume.

If both teams were undefeated, I could imagine a great discussion. But Duke's loss to Michigan makes this a runaway. Wake Forest should be #1; they deserve it, at least right now.

Buckeye Devil
01-18-2009, 07:25 AM
Let Wake have it. Right now, they deserve it going undefeated.

But being #1 during the regular season is often by default or attrition as higher ranked teams lose and the rest move up in the polls. No way was Pitt the #1 team in the land. Wake probably isn't the best either but the top ranking is a point in time evaluation and at this point, they should be #1. Wake will eventually fall from perfection and someone else will be waiting in the wings to move up. And it really doesn't matter if it isn't Duke.

DukeUsul
01-18-2009, 09:51 AM
I said previously I expect Wake to get #1, and I have no problem with that. Looking at Sagarin and Pomeroy numbers, I fully expect us to get some votes for 1. Sagarin lists us with the 27th best SOS and Wake is around 212. Pomeroy lists us with the 32nd hardest schedule and Wake around 144. I think there will be some out there who look at these stats and give us some votes. But Wake will still end up #1.

roywhite
01-18-2009, 10:08 AM
Being ranked #1 will be pretty heady stuff for Wake. How will they deal with it?

CameronBornAndBred
01-18-2009, 11:06 AM
Wake Forest will be number 1, but Duke will get first place votes for the first time since 2006(?).
They should get some #1 votes, but it won't suprise me if Duke doesn't. UNC got #1 votes when they were ranked behind us, so did Wake. In both scenarios, Duke was ranked 2cnd and had no first place votes. It's apparent that Duke does not have the confidence of the voters to be considered as the first place team. I believe for us to claim the top spot we will have to beat Wake (rightfully so), even though we have been the most successful team in the country with the hardest schedule. I don't think until we DO beat Wake that we will gain the respect we do deserve. And for those who don't think that polls matter, I think for us they do now. With 3 teams within the state fighting for the #1 seed in the East, it is all about jockeying for position. If it was just UNC and us, I think the polls would matter less.

jv001
01-18-2009, 09:45 PM
Let's win two this week and beat Wake on their home court and earn the #1 Ranking. That's what I want to see. Go Duke!

CameronBornAndBred
01-19-2009, 12:57 PM
They should get some #1 votes, but it won't suprise me if Duke doesn't. UNC got #1 votes when they were ranked behind us, so did Wake. In both scenarios, Duke was ranked 2cnd and had no first place votes.
Well, we got 6 first place votes in the coaches poll, and Wake is rightfully in 1st place. We are still second.

juise
01-19-2009, 01:46 PM
The polls look a lot like the DBR poll we had this weekend. Like last week, the coaches like us a little better than the press does (less love for Duke in the media... what a shocker :p).

jv001
01-19-2009, 02:19 PM
Well, we got 6 first place votes in the coaches poll, and Wake is rightfully in 1st place. We are still second.

Now that Wake is #1 in both polls, maybe they begin to feel the pressure of being Number One. Like I said, let's win 2 games this week and beat them on their home court and earn #1. Go Duke!

blazindw
01-19-2009, 03:19 PM
In the Coaches Poll, one coach voted us 3rd (presumably behind Wake and UConn). In the AP, we were voted 3rd or lower on 8 ballots. So, some people still don't have us among the best. The only thing to do is go out there and beat NC State tomorrow and then focus on Maryland on Saturday.

Matches
01-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Wake deserves it as the last unbeaten team.