PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Georgetown

Jumbo
01-17-2009, 03:45 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Georgetown?

prefan21
01-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Gerald Henderson.

geraldsneighbor
01-17-2009, 03:49 PM
I went with G but it was tough. G was there every time we needed a big hoop and he took the first half over. Kyle's 16 rebounds can't go unnoticed though.

eddiehaskell
01-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Singler with 15 boards was pretty impressive.

poobear
01-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I voted Gerald, but There were several that played great today.
Yah We won!!!

Bob Green
01-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I gave my vote to Gerald Henderson for his overall play on both ends of the court. He made some good defensive plays that will probably be overlooked by many fans due to his offensive explosion.

Kyle Singler earns an honorable mention as he was a monster on the glass. Greg Paulus played his best game of the season. Overall, a great team win.

eddiehaskell
01-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Kyle's 16 rebounds can't go unnoticed though.ESPN has 15, but maybe they didn't count his last board on GU's next to last possession.

elvis14
01-17-2009, 03:52 PM
G! Kyle a close second

JDev
01-17-2009, 03:53 PM
Many to choose from, which is a great thing, but G was the man. Paulus and Plumlee had their best games of the year.

DukeBlood
I went with Gerald. Singler was tough but shot 7-19 from the field and 1-6 from 3. The 16 boards(6 offensive were HUGE).

Here is a stat most of us will enjoy. Duke outrebounded Georgetown by 3 Georgetown is a very long and athletic team which is usually a team that kills Duke on the boards. Times are changing.

rsvman
I went with Singler, although G was great. Singler's work on the boards should be rewarded, and he always seems to hit the "dagger 3" when we need it.

I'd guess his shooting percentage on 3's that are really important is AT LEAST twice what it is on 3's at other points in the game.

DukieInBrasil
01-17-2009, 03:54 PM
Tough call, but i had to give the game ball to G, for being able to take over the game. He had stretches in both halves where he was essentially our O, and he was unstoppable in those stretches. Kyle on the boards? Insane, but his ofensive woes kept him off of my ballot. Scheyer´s game was solid, scored some points, grabbed some boards and dished out some assists as well as solid D. But in the end, G was too much for Georgetown and we would not have won the game w/o G´s dominant performance.

jpfrizzle
01-17-2009, 03:55 PM
G ,all the way this go`round

jipops
01-17-2009, 04:01 PM
I wanted to give it to G, but Kyle got better as the game went on and put the team on his back at crunch time. The boards were huge and he was the toughest guy on the floor. My vote goes to Kyle.

weezie
01-17-2009, 04:08 PM
I went with Gerald. Singler was tough but shot 7-19 from the field and 1-6 from 3. The 16 boards(6 offensive were HUGE).

Here is a stat most of us will enjoy. Duke outrebounded Georgetown by 3 Georgetown is a very long and athletic team which is usually a team that kills Duke on the boards. Times are changing.

Choosing MOTM is beginning to be a real emotional struggle! Kyle's boards were critical! Gerald was once again doing his best Kobe impression but to be fair he's developing into a miracle man.
And how I LOVED seeing some 'tude, nice controlled pointed 'tude but 'tude nonetheless form all our guys.

Jumbo
01-17-2009, 04:16 PM
ESPN has 15, but maybe they didn't count his last board on GU's next to last possession.

Official box score (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=3648393).

Madrasdukie
01-17-2009, 04:18 PM
G for me by a smidgeon. His play in the first half was without question a momentum/ confidence booster.

I liked Greg Anthony's comments about Kyle having an impact even when his shot is not falling...that rebounding was all effort. It felt kind of neat to hear positive comments about Duke and Coach K from a player who belonged to THAT UNLV team.

Devilhawks
01-17-2009, 04:30 PM
We need Paulus back to his old self to reach our potential this year. I voted for him in the hope that today is the day that brought him back.

arnie
01-17-2009, 04:47 PM
I think a pattern is emerging - pick either Singler or Henderson and the answer is always right. We need "go to" players and hopefully, that combo works all year.

DukeUsul
01-17-2009, 04:51 PM
G and Kyle are money pretty much every game. Greg stepped up today and was the difference-maker. He's my MOTM.

geraldsneighbor
01-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Here is to praying G and Kyle stay another year.

devildeac
01-17-2009, 04:57 PM
G for carrying us in the 1st half and a good, but not outstanding 2nd half. Kyle was pretty good, too, especially on the glass.

FireOgilvie
01-17-2009, 05:09 PM
Henderson all the way. Singler is has been huge in the paint the last two games. His 3's have not been dropping.

I don't understand voting for Paulus over Henderson or Singler.

Cell-R
01-17-2009, 05:34 PM
Henderson. Close vote with Singler though... As almost everybody else has already said.

I wish I could give it to Greg... Maybe we should have a most inspiring man of the match award! :p

Cell-R
01-17-2009, 05:40 PM
I think a pattern is emerging - pick either Singler or Henderson and the answer is always right. We need "go to" players and hopefully, that combo works all year.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showpost.php?p=241709&postcount=7

I guess you could pick either Singler or Henderson and always be right?

I really hope that combination will work all year :)

ricks68
01-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Maybe we also need a first half and a second half player of the game. It seems that there is always at least another guy that picks us up in each half. In this case, G in the first and Kyle in the second---but let's not forget Paulus' play. We have a good, very highly skilled, team

ricks

CameronBornAndBred
01-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Gerald all day. Don't shave again until June.

Cameron
01-17-2009, 06:46 PM
Greg Paulus gets my Man of the Match vote once again today.

If you were watching the game today, you would have noticed why I was so adamant last week in my argument that Greg Paulus is this club's leader, especially emotionally -- out on the court. When Greg plays well, Duke plays well. Again, this is not a coincidence. Even the announcers, two guys who haven't called a Duke game all year and probably haven't followed the Devils too closely, picked up on this right away. They pointed out how much this offense depends on Greg getting going and how much of an emotional factor our team plays with -- along with the Cameron crowd -- when number three makes a big play.

Greg was all over the court today. He finished with 10 points, 2 assists, and a steal. But that doesn't tell the story at all. Greg had at least five or six deflections on defense, a couple coming in full court pressure situations, that led to Duke steals and Duke buckets in key turning points of the game. And in the half court, Greg was just as efficient on D. He's becoming much better at keeping in front of his man, playing better help side and getting into position, and just playing much headier and smarter than he has in the past. Much like JJ did as a senior, Greg is starting to put the jeers that he can't D up to rest.

On offense, Greg's first five points, including the big three out front, really got Duke going today. Just as his two threes against Tech on Wednesday gave us a pulse in the Thrillerdome after the Jackets were starting to increase their lead. The fans, our team, etc. really feed off his play.

Then, late in the game, Greg went to work again in past self fashion, sneaking into the lane with a perfect tribute to Chris Duhon with a graceful floater and then another tribute to number 21 with a straightaway triple from 25 feet.

His hustle and heart out on the court today was fabulous.

When given his minutes, in generous portions, not just two minute "do your thing now" splashes, Greg can be the same guy we had a season ago leading us with clutch basket after clutch basket.

He's back, folks, and he's won back to back Man of the Matches in my book. And I would say in others' as well, look at his vote totals.

jv001
01-17-2009, 06:53 PM
I voted for Gerald as he continues to step up for us. His play in the first half gave us the lead that we never gave up. Kyle once again proved to be the stud we need around the basket(15 & 16). This was big for us but Gerald deserved the MOTM today. Go Duke!

Wander
01-17-2009, 06:56 PM
Paulus had the most important single play of the game - picking up the charge on Monroe for his 3rd foul.

More importantly, I'm bored voting for Singler every time with an occasional Henderson thrown in there.

Cameron
01-17-2009, 06:59 PM
Paulus had the most important single play of the game - picking up the charge on Monroe for his 3rd foul.

Yes! Can't believe I left that out. That goes along with my paragraph on how improved Paulus' defensive game has become.

He deserved the player of the game today. He was such a lift out there. I just wish more would take notice.

ncexnyc
01-17-2009, 07:24 PM
Kyle was a beast on the boards again, but his shooting was horrid, so G gets my vote.

geraldsneighbor
01-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Kyle was a beast on the boards again, but his shooting was horrid, so G gets my vote.

If Kyle gives us 15 and 16 a night we can't complain. Hopefully he doesn't wear out because right now hes playing like a legit post player who can step out on and hit the 3 ball.

dukelifer
01-17-2009, 10:10 PM
I gave it to Paulus because of the lift he gave Duke to to get and stay ahead. But if Monroe was not the one who mouthed off to the official, then it has to go to the guy behind the bench who did. That 4th foul helped DUke a ton

BlueintheFace
01-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Paulus for ... wait for it .... being the most disruptive DEFENDER on the floor for long stretches and setting the tone for the entire team.

Cameron
01-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Look at that, BlueintheFace just pushed Greg past Kyle Singler, a mainstay on the Man of the Match threads, out of second place.

Wonderful game today by our emotional on floor leader, Greg Paulus.

dukemomLA
01-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Voted for Gerald.... but....
Kyle, as usual was awesome, and I have to give great props to Greg P, and to Jon S.

Both Greg and Jon always do great things that do not show up in the stats.
Especially Jon. He amazes me game after game with his basketball IQ.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-18-2009, 01:13 AM
I decided on Kyle. That 15 and 16 double double was powerful stuff! G was absolutely great too, but y'all already know that!

Edouble
01-18-2009, 03:02 AM
Singler.

I may have voted differently if I had actually seen the first half. Thank you CBS.

guybrush
01-18-2009, 03:50 AM
Gerald Henderson was huge