PDA

View Full Version : Why no College Gameday at Cameron?

KrazyKfan
01-16-2009, 11:56 AM
This year marks the second year in a row that ESPN's college gameday will be hosted at the Dean Dome. I don't understand why the nation's premiere college basketball program isn't hosted at the greatest stadium and fans in college basketball, and that's hardly biased. Thoughts?

pfrduke
01-16-2009, 12:01 PM
This year marks the second year in a row that ESPN's college gameday will be hosted at the Dean Dome. I don't understand why the nation's premiere college basketball program isn't hosted at the greatest stadium and fans in college basketball, and that's hardly biased. Thoughts?

Pretty sure there was a gameday at Cameron last year before the UNC-Duke game at Duke. Dude from the div. school hit a half court shot.

Bluedog
01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah, it rotates every year depending on where the last game of the regular season is being played...

Olympic Fan
01-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I think the choice of the UNC venue this weekend has a lot to do with the fact that UNC-Miami is ESPN's late game.

The Duke-Georgetown game, while more significant nationally (two top 10 teams) is being televised by CBS -- a rival network.

If you've seen any ESPN halftime previews of the weekend games, they've gushed about the games that will be shown on ESPNs networks (including ABC) and have barely said a word about Duke-Georgetown -- the best matchup of the weekend (based on the polls, anyway).

wolfpackdevil
01-16-2009, 12:59 PM
Yes and the UNC/Miami game was supposed to be a lot bigger than it is going to be.

Most people thought UNC would still be undefeated and number 1, and Miami was supposed to be a top 20 team.

But both teams have fallen off a little, but this will still be a great game.

DukieBoy
01-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Does anyone know where to find some kind of schedule that says when, if at all, College Gameday comes to Duke. I would assume they will come to the Duke/UNC game, but wasn't sure otherwise.

geraldsneighbor
01-16-2009, 01:09 PM
They don't this year. Pretty lame that a team like Duke won't get to host. Would've been great if they could have found a way to play Wake or someone on a Saturday night.

Ian Eagle on the call tomorrow folks.

jv001
01-16-2009, 02:00 PM
The conspiracy....Go Duke!

msdukie
01-16-2009, 02:21 PM
Anytime Duke plays in a 9 p.m. ESPN Saturday night game during January, February, or March, GameDay will be there. Otherwise, no dice. That's how basketball GameDay works. It's not like football GameDay.

lifelongdevil
01-16-2009, 02:29 PM
its not that the game is at scheduled 9 and then they come

if theyre coming the game is moved to 9.

msdukie
01-18-2009, 11:27 AM
Nope. As well all know, ACC schedules are set in August. They do not move game times.

lifelongdevil
01-18-2009, 01:19 PM
ya, ever think espn does a little planning ahead.

if they want that game on gameday then it gets put at 9.

hurleyfor3
01-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Espn's first onsite broadcast was at Cameron, before the 2004 home unc game. This was a year before the "traveling Gameday" thing was an established practice.

I don't think Duke needs espn to come to campus to let everyone know how enthusiastic our fanbase is. Every game in Cameron pretty much does that.

loran16
01-18-2009, 05:00 PM
At the Gtown game, first row band side, in the press row was Jay Bilas and Reese Davis. Hubie Davis had a spot reserved for him but he didn't show.

So while they may not officially come to Cameron, they took their time elsewhere on tobacco road to head over and watch our place.

We started a Jay Bilas chant, and after it was over he, embarressed cuz i think he wanted to watch the game without being noticed, went to us "So who do i need to pay 20 dollars for starting that chant?"

WiJoe
01-18-2009, 06:32 PM
http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/specialsection/gamedaybasketball/thisweek/

click on "schools & schedule"

devildownunder
01-18-2009, 07:17 PM
The conspiracy....Go Duke!

Let's have them not show up at K-ville at all for about 5 years, then we can complain about how much ESPN has it in for us -- and how we never get any calls. :D

jv001
01-18-2009, 09:51 PM
Let's have them not show up at K-ville at all for about 5 years, then we can complain about how much ESPN has it in for us -- and how we never get any calls. :D

I like your thinking. We could say unc gets all the calls. hubert and stuart are homers. Go Duke!