PDA

View Full Version : Capel and Griffin

NYC Duke Fan
01-16-2009, 11:47 AM
Did Capel Recruit Blake Griffin , or did the previous coach. If it were Capel ...kudos to him.

Was he ever on Coach K's radar, I don't remember ever hearing his name as a high schooler ?

Bluedog
01-16-2009, 11:51 AM
Capel became coach on April 11, 2006. Griffin committed on May 13, 2006. So, Capel wasn't involved in his recruitment for the most part, but clearly Griffin liked the hire so Capel was definitely important in getting him. Griffin had Duke on his 12-school or so list, but we never offered him a scholarship.

NYC Duke Fan
01-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Capel became coach on April 11, 2006. Griffin committed on May 13, 2006. So, Capel wasn't involved in his recruitment for the most part, but clearly Griffin liked the hire so Capel was definitely important in getting him. Griffin had Duke on his 12-school or so list, but we never offered him a scholarship.

Too bad, the kid is awesome !!! In my mind better than Hansbrough

jimsumner
01-16-2009, 12:13 PM
Duke had identified Griffin as their top post target in that class and Griffin was aware of Duke's strong interest. I'm not sure if he was formally offered a scholarship but he could have gone to Duke and he knew it.

Duke fell in love with Griffin and he was off the market in a few weeks. Given the family ties in play here, it would have been very tough to get Griffin away from the Sooners.