PDA

View Full Version : Who would you like to see join K on the Duke bench?

VaDukie
04-03-2007, 10:52 PM
At some point, one of our assistants is going to go to another job as a HC (almost certainly Collins or Wojo, Dawkins seems to be the heir). When they do, who would you like to see replace them (given reality of current players in the NBA being disqualified).

The main guy for me is Hurley, but it seems that he's content to train horses and spend time with his family. After him I'd like to see J-Will, because by all indications his potential for an NBA career is over and I think he has a great knowledge and love for the game.

Thoughts for others?

Channing
04-03-2007, 11:11 PM
I know its wishful thinking, but I would love to see the G-Man come back and teach our big guys some fundamentals.

Capn Poptart
04-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Gail Goestenkors.

Uncle Drew
04-04-2007, 12:00 AM
I know its wishful thinking, but I would love to see the G-Man come back and teach our big guys some fundamentals.

I agree with steven that I would LOVE to see Gminski as an add on as assistant coach since he was my childhood idol. Alas I never made it past six feet tall, nor did I develop the head fake he had to juke opposing players out of their jock strap. (Usually resulting in the basket AND a foul.) But as one of the few Duke announcing personalities in a world of UNC / MD anti-Duke bashing it's best he keeps his present job(s). Even if it would be a link to the present and pre Coach K eras.

Jayson Williams would be agreat choice as it's apparent his chances of getting back into the NBA are slim if non-existant. But I have been wishing for years now for a former bigman to come back and teach new bigmen some of their moves. Wojo is a great guy and I know he has gone to coaching camps to teach big men. But it's still a bit like a cat trying to teach a fish to swim. I don't want to see Alah Abdelnaby or Greg Newton back by any means. But wouldn't it be awesome some day having a Brand, Boozer or even Laettner teaching techniques?

throatybeard
04-04-2007, 12:03 AM
Jayson Williams would be agreat choice as it's apparent his chances of getting back into the NBA are slim if non-existant.

Especially after he offed his limo driver.

Uncle Drew
04-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Especially after he offed his limo driver.

LMAO, Not that Jason / Jayson Williams! Too freakin' funny man! Let's see one J-Will shoots limo drivers, another smacks women around and the other thought it would be smarter to by a speed bike instead of a Ferrari. Unless John Wayne comes back from the dead to kick butt and take names let's hope Duke doesn't hire anyone with the initials JW.

gep
04-04-2007, 12:16 AM

I agree with steven that I would LOVE to see Gminski as an add on as assistant coach since he was my childhood idol. Alas I never made it past six feet tall, nor did I develop the head fake he had to juke opposing players out of their jock strap. (Usually resulting in the basket AND a foul.) But as one of the few Duke announcing personalities in a world of UNC / MD anti-Duke bashing it's best he keeps his present job(s). Even if it would be a link to the present and pre Coach K eras.

I heard that Jay Bilas is a regular at the Coach K Academy as one of the coaches. Anyone know if G-Man is there too? Maybe, some folks who went to the Coach K Academy might have some ideas about the next assistant coach....

Uncle Drew
04-04-2007, 12:25 AM
Ummm, all of this is speculative as stated by the original post. But has anyone heard of ANY of the Duke assistants even being offered jobs at ANY other schools in the last few years? They used to talk about Dawkins like it would be a year or two before he was coaching at some major school. But I haven't heard any rumours about Dawkins, Wojo or Collins in years.

Exiled_Devil
04-04-2007, 12:52 AM
I heard that Jay Bilas is a regular at the Coach K Academy as one of the coaches. Anyone know if G-Man is there too? Maybe, some folks who went to the Coach K Academy might have some ideas about the next assistant coach....

Gman is a regular coach at K academy as well.

I don't think that K academy is a good reference point for coaching - the players are all over 35 and in various states of physical (non)condition. It's really more about fun (As long as you aren't on Collins' team, then it is about winning.)

Exiled

gep
04-04-2007, 01:16 AM
Thanks... Exiled. I just thought that maybe, folks who went to the Coach K Academy are obviously basketball fans, and might have some insight as to the overall knowledge of basketball, and maybe even specific big-men skill and knowledge. I only ask because of the suggestion that maybe the G-Man might be a good candidate for assistant coach. Cheers....

Lulu
04-04-2007, 01:42 AM
Well I for one would like to see Donovan share the bench with K. Who's head coach and who get to be assistant I don't care...

Seriously though, how good do you have to be as a player these days to make a good coach? Obviously Brand, Boozer, Battier, Shel etc are never going to be coaches, not unless they were to make some extremely bizarre life decisions or get injured like J-Will. Laettner and Ferry I also don't ever see trading their current lives for a spot down the Duke bench. Same applies for G-man and Bilas. Matt Christensen always seemed to have a lot of heart, I wonder what he's up to these days (is he the one I heard was living in that Durhamn community...? seems it was someone else). Comparing just his general attitude and basketball aptitude to others who played for us and aren't going to make millions in the NBA (Horvath, Sanders, etc) he just seems like the most reasonable choice it we want a former Duke big man to coach big men.

Oh yeah, that was Domzalski living in that Durham community, I remember now... Anyway, unless we're willing to settle for someone more in the 6-7 range or so as a big man coach I can't think of anyone besides Christensen who'd even come close. Think we'd have to go outside the Duke family otherwise.

BDevilU
04-04-2007, 03:55 AM
I imagine that Mike Dunleavy, Jr. will be a coach someday, on some level, after his NBA career.

wilko
04-04-2007, 01:06 PM
I'd like to see someone on the bench that hasnt had the Duke kool-aid.

Supporting the family coaching tree is nice and all that, but what could it hurt by bringing in some fresh blood and a new perspective to the bench?

I dunno if this dude ANY interest in coaching college whatsoever or even if he'd be good at...

but how about..

Bill Russell

Matches
04-04-2007, 01:11 PM
I'd love to see Nate James or Chris Carrawell back on the sidelines. I do agree that it wouldn't be the worst thing to have one asst who is not a former player, though.

TheDuke11
04-04-2007, 03:34 PM
give me thad matta for 4 years until K retires, then he steps in. Give me Lorenzo Romar as the assistant.

Cameron
04-04-2007, 03:43 PM
Dawkins seems to be the heir

Dawkins is not the heir to Coach K. In fact, from what many close to the program have said, he doesn't want anything to do with K's job. And that is more than understandable. Not to mention, by the time Coach retires, which in my estimation is still another six or seven years away, Johhny will be close to 50. No way he will take over a college basketball program at that age. He'll be financially set by then, if he isn't already, and most likely will want to ride off into the sunset in retirement with his family.

coblue
04-04-2007, 05:13 PM
A couple of quick, strong 6'9' guys

oh, you meant as a new coach...

Not sure that matters as long as K is king.

throatybeard
04-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Reese Witherspoon.

imagepro
04-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Did ANYONE enjoy the DUKE experience more? He loved it here. His passion would show in recruiting, and I think he'd be the happiest man on the planet if he got the job. Were any of you at his Senior Day vs UNC? He was just jumping with joy when his mom joined him at mid-court. Something I will never forget........

adam
04-04-2007, 11:05 PM
I'd love to see Nate James or Chris Carrawell back on the sidelines.

Agreed. I loved watching Nate James and C-Well. You can add Trajan to that list, too.

Susan
04-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Wilko, I agree with you.

If this happened, I too would prefer someone who is not simply a former player under Coach K to join the staff. Maybe someone who brings head coaching experience, or someone who brings experience under other successful coaches (Pitino, Donovan, Calhoun, Roy Williams, etc.). I believe that Donovan's recent success at Florida is in part attributable to his hiring of Larry Shyatt to help that team improve defensively. I love Coach K and I love our players, but I think that a new perspective, from experience away from the Duke system, just might help the team be even stronger. Just my $.02.

BDevilU
04-05-2007, 12:21 AM
Let's just toss Kareem Abdul-Jabbar into the mix. How's that for a big man coach?

gep
04-05-2007, 12:45 AM
Let's just toss Kareem Abdul-Jabbar into the mix. How's that for a big man coach?

Didn't I hear recently (maybe a year, I guess) that Kareem actually was looking into a college coaching position? If so, where better to start that at Duke under Coach K. Interesting....

Brian913
04-05-2007, 08:27 AM
Dawkins is not the heir to Coach K. In fact, from what many close to the program have said, he doesn't want anything to do with K's job. And that is more than understandable. Not to mention, by the time Coach retires, which in my estimation is still another six or seven years away, Johhny will be close to 50. No way he will take over a college basketball program at that age. He'll be financially set by then, if he isn't already, and most likely will want to ride off into the sunset in retirement with his family.

Dawkins has more money than anyone on the Duke bench including K. Remember there were several years making millions in the NBA, and he has handled his money well.

Kfanarmy
04-12-2007, 12:33 PM
imagine the potential impact of KM.

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6663518

zingit
04-12-2007, 08:30 PM
I look forward to the day when I turn on ESPN and see Greg Paulus as a coach, wherever that may be. I think he'd be great.

And for that matter, Abby Waner has said she'd like to be a sports broadcaster--I'd enjoy seeing that too!

But for now, I'm pretty happy to see them on the court.

delfrio
04-13-2007, 01:41 AM
Jay Heaps / Andre Buckner / Patrick Davidson. Our teams would lead the league in technicals.

dukemomLA
04-13-2007, 02:21 AM
For Coach K to target Kareem as a 'bigman coach' would be awesome. (Would K's ego allow for that??...a question to be answered). I also think Duke DESPERATELY needs a shooting coach. Someone who can get up the FT rate -- and also the mentality of shots from the field. Too many years of missed easy points are wearing on me.

captmojo
04-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Jim Spanarkel. He could teach free throw acumen.

duke98
04-13-2007, 12:38 PM
Didn't I hear recently (maybe a year, I guess) that Kareem actually was looking into a college coaching position? If so, where better to start that at Duke under Coach K. Interesting....

Maybe he could coach the Duke women's team!

(I'm only partly joking....)

jawk24
04-13-2007, 02:25 PM
LOL, how about a quality big man and a quality point guard!

Clipsfan
04-13-2007, 05:19 PM
To answer a couple questions above: Yes, the assistant coaches have been approached for jobs, although the obviously haven't taken any. This link is about Wojo and the ISU job (http://www.tribstar.com/sports/local_story_069010313.html).

As for Dawkins, one poster stated that Dawkins has no interest in the head coaching job. I find that hard to believe, especially without substantiation, as everything I've always heard has been that he's the heir. He was definitely offered various head positions a few years ago and turned them down.

WheatDevil
04-14-2007, 08:15 AM
I can't believe Shane Battier's name has not been mentioned yet.

kydevil
04-14-2007, 01:37 PM
For Coach K to target Kareem as a 'bigman coach' would be awesome. (Would K's ego allow for that??...a question to be answered). I also think Duke DESPERATELY needs a shooting coach. Someone who can get up the FT rate -- and also the mentality of shots from the field. Too many years of missed easy points are wearing on me.

Im sure JJ wouldnt mind to come back and be a shooting coach... he was all right :D

Cameron
04-14-2007, 03:27 PM
I'd like to see Chip Engelland come to Durham. He's already been known around the world as a "shooting doctor," helping players from all over improve their long range skills. Steve Kerr is one of his more notable clients, and he has worked with many other NBA players over the years. We could really use him in our free-throw shooting department as well as with DeMarcus' late season trouble from three (too much strength into his shot or something; maybe it was the marine corps training.)

It would also be nice to have somebody working with Geralds three-ball over the summer. I'm sure Coack K and the Duke staff will be there everyday, I have no question about that, but I just think somebody as skilled as Engelland in his profession working with Gerlad's shot could do wonders.

Can't wait for summer and college football to conclude!!!

kydevil
04-14-2007, 04:32 PM
Maybe when Trajan is done playing overseas??? I wouldn't mind having the "Alaskian Assassin" back helping.