PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs Georgetown Pregame/In-game Thread

Troublemaker
01-15-2009, 04:01 PM
Let's get this rolling.

Not only are the Hoyas the best team we'll have played so far this season, they are also the best offense we'll have faced. This is significant.

Did you know that the two best offensive teams we've played this year are Rhode Island and Michigan (14th and 24th nationally in offensive efficiency, respectively). As you may recall, both those teams had their way with Duke's vaunted defense (granted, it took Michigan two tries to do so).

Rhode Island shot 55% from the field against Duke. Jimmy Baron had an unusually hot day but the Rams as a team also did a good job in transition and of penetrating to the midrange area and sinking shots, imo. Duke did force 17 turnovers but overall allowed 1.19 points per possession, which is really poor.

Duke did a great job against Michigan in the first matchup, but in the game we lost, the Wolverines shot 48% with only 11 turnovers and overall scored 1.15 points per possession against us -- again, not good at all. Michigan did well with backdoors and playing a two-man game with Harris and Sims, imo.

On Saturday, Georgetown strolls into town with the 6th best offense in the country, and it'd be really nice if our defense plays well against them. Obviously, if Duke's calling card this season is going to be "great" defense, the defense can't continue to lose battles against top 25 offenses. Great defenses limit the good offensive teams in addition to devastating the bad ones.

Georgetown is a very good offense with mobile, skilled, versatile bigs along with talented guards and good shooters. They are capable of doing the same things that Michigan did against Duke in Ann Arbor. Can we defend the backdoor when Monroe has the ball in the high post? Will Zoubek even be able to stay in this game, or will Monroe run circles around him? Big test for Z.

Some statistical goals for this game would be to limit Georgetown to 45% shooting from the field, take the ball away about 15 times, and overall hold them to around 1 point per possession. If we can do that, I'll be thrilled. It's a big test on Saturday. Again, Duke's defense has given up big offensive games to the only two top 25 offenses we've played this season. Two opponents isn't a trend, but three might be.

Oriole Way
01-15-2009, 05:03 PM
I want to beatdown Georgetown and specifically Greg Monroe in the worst way.

SMO
01-15-2009, 05:12 PM
Let's get this rolling.

Not only are the Hoyas the best team we'll have played so far this season, they are also the best offense we'll have faced. This is significant.

Did you know that the two best offensive teams we've played this year are Rhode Island and Michigan (14th and 24th nationally in offensive efficiency, respectively). As you may recall, both those teams had their way with Duke's vaunted defense (granted, it took Michigan two tries to do so).

Rhode Island shot 55% from the field against Duke. Jimmy Baron had an unusually hot day but the Rams as a team also did a good job in transition and of penetrating to the midrange area and sinking shots, imo. Duke did force 17 turnovers but overall allowed 1.19 points per possession, which is really poor.

Duke did a great job against Michigan in the first matchup, but in the game we lost, the Wolverines shot 48% with only 11 turnovers and overall scored 1.15 points per possession against us -- again, not good at all. Michigan did well with backdoors and playing a two-man game with Harris and Sims, imo.

On Saturday, Georgetown strolls into town with the 6th best offense in the country, and it'd be really nice if our defense plays well against them. Obviously, if Duke's calling card this season is going to be "great" defense, the defense can't continue to lose battles against top 25 offenses. Great defenses limit the good offensive teams in addition to devastating the bad ones.

Georgetown is a very good offense with mobile, skilled, versatile bigs along with talented guards and good shooters. They are capable of doing the same things that Michigan did against Duke in Ann Arbor. Can we defend the backdoor when Monroe has the ball in the high post? Will Zoubek even be able to stay in this game, or will Monroe run circles around him? Big test for Z.

Some statistical goals for this game would be to limit Georgetown to 45% shooting from the field, take the ball away about 15 times, and overall hold them to around 1 point per possession. If we can do that, I'll be thrilled. It's a big test on Saturday. Again, Duke's defense has given up big offensive games to the only two top 25 offenses we've played this season. Two opponents isn't a trend, but three might be.

It's important to note that those two games include when a couple opponents got very hot regardless of how well they were guarded.

whereinthehellami
01-15-2009, 05:20 PM
This is going to be a tough and physical game. I see this one coming down to who wants it more and who is in better shape (gonna be running on fumes at the end).

mapei
01-15-2009, 07:53 PM
Gtown played an outstanding game last night, demolishing #8 Syracuse with 59% shooting, 57% from 3. It's by far the best they have played all year, with 10 players scoring.

But Duke plays an entirely different defense, and I don't think there's a clear analogy. Those 3s won't be available against Duke. The Hoyas are good and extremely well coached, but until last night they had been misfiring from the arc and getting outrebounded with some regularity. They are also young, with only one senior and one junior - so there are weaknesses to exploit.

Singler vs. Summers should be a great matchup, likewise Wright vs. Smith. As for the backup guards, Jason Clark will eat Greg P alive, the way Greg has been playing. What's encouraging about the Hoyas is that, since the debacle against Pitt, they have been improving in all the fundamentals. Monroe practically had a triple-double against Providence - he has been an incredible passer - and is already much better than in his first few weeks. His court awareness and basketball IQ are as good as anyone I have seen this year not named Jon Scheyer. He has been BE freshman of the week four times.

The bench, a clear liability a month ago, has improved mightily, especially guard Jason Clark, 6-11 Henry Sims, and Julian Vaughan, whom you may remember from Florida State. Nikita M and Omar Wattad also knocked down three 3s last night and made some great hustle plays in limited minutes.

The emergence of Sims has helped the rebounding a lot, especially when he and Monroe play together. Austin Freeman can shoot lights out when he's hot, as well as make backdoor cuts like no other. Jessie Sapp, while in a scoring slump, remains a scrappy defender who gets steals and rebounds. DaJuan Summers has been the best player on the team, and he has been BE player of the week a couple of times. He's super-athletic and plays with passion, can hit inside and out and block shots. I'm not sure Duke has anyone as quick as Chris Wright, but then the Hoyas don't have a Gerald Henderson.

This is the game that absolutely ties my stomach in knots, since I love both teams. But I think it's a freebie for both, this year. There won't be any dishonor or consequence to a loss by either team, as long as it's not a blowout. The home team *should* win, but that's what UConn thought, too. :)

DukePA
01-15-2009, 08:19 PM
Hoya Suxa :D

dukestheheat
01-15-2009, 09:59 PM
I agree with the Troublemaker when he says that 'good defenses limit the good offensive teams'.....and I see this as the key point of this game. Remember, we have Superman on the bench in K and he's planning to push the D angle going in, almost guaranteed.

I see Duke winning this game. Certainly, it'll be close and Georgetown may give us fits inside the paint and down low, but in the end, our D will cause Duke to prevail in this one.

Bring on the Hoyas and GO DUKE!

dukestheheat

mgtr
01-16-2009, 12:12 AM
My preference would be to see Greg Monroe humiliated, to make him eat his words about feeling more comfortable with G'Town. Frankly, I don't see exactly how that might happen. Maybe a couple of technicals?
My wife wanted to go somewhere on Saturday, and have me record the Duke game for later. Maybe some games, but not this game. If I watch it on tape, I cannot possibly add my energy to the Duke team (via the ionosphere?) that will happen when it is live.
I expect a very good, hard fought, close game. Duke by 4.

4decadedukie
01-16-2009, 09:16 AM
Thompson II was quoted in yesterday's Washington Post as wishing the Hoyas would be "more thuggish" and physical. That says some things regarding the character of the programs and their long-term leadership.

BlueintheFace
01-16-2009, 10:35 AM
I believe this is truly a matchup of the two best defensive teams in the country. . . and it scares me.

geraldsneighbor
01-16-2009, 01:46 PM
Hopefully Monroe gets a warm welcome from the Cameron Faithful...;)

jv001
01-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Hopefully Monroe gets a warm welcome from the Cameron Faithful...;)

Yeh I agree let's make him wish he had chosen Duke and I agree that GT has always appeared to be thuggish(owrd?). Go Duke!

Ben63
01-16-2009, 02:02 PM
I am really excited for this game. It's a huge test for Duke. The two big advantages for us I see are experience and it's at CIS. It's going to be much like the Steelers-Ravens game, a full blown physical knock down drag out war. Staying out of foul trouble will key. This will be a good one. GO DUKE!!!!!

bird
01-16-2009, 02:38 PM
Is Georgetown's reputation one as a "physical" team (such as we saw with Florida State and Georgia Tech)? The three Georgetown games I have seen this year indicates a slightly muted version of the recent Georgetown finesse teams, with the emphasis on off-ball movement, cutting, backdoors, inverted offenses, and the like. In this match-up, I would think the Duke would come into the game as the team with the more "physical" reputation.

-bdbd
01-16-2009, 02:54 PM
Living in the DC area we have to endure a decidedly pro-Terps (and often anti-Duke) media crowd when it comes to the ACC. With MD down, and with their players screaming at "disloyal" fans from the court, the local media seems to have turned it heartstrings towards northwest DC and the campus of Georgetown U. There is an absolute lovefest underway directed at JT3, and his players (esp. Monroe). Personally, I think they expect Monroe to lead them back to the Final 4, if not this year then next. That said, he IS very good.

Greg was going to be the big guy us Dukies had been waiting for ever since Sheldon Williams graduated and went on to the NBA. Greg, after all, had said in print that he was a Duke fan growing up. It just seems odd that he then scheduled visits with us and a couple other schools, but after taking his first official visit (to GT) he committed there and never even visited Duke or the others. It was disappointing to be sure, and probably an impulsive decision. Given that he didn't show up for his (scheduled) visit last year, I'm sure that the Crazies will more than welcome him to Cameron on THIS visit....

The original poster indicated this was the best team we'd played to date, which is odd given the beatdown we delivered to Xavier in the Meadowlands in Dec. (they were ranked around 7th at the time as I recall). Regardless, this has the makings of a terrific match-up of two top-10 teams. This is exactly the kind of team we could meet in the Sweet-16/Elite-8 in a couple of months... Georgetown has that terrific offense, and some good speed, and plays outstanding D. We have similar qualities, but I think we have more depth. Let's hope the coaches use it this time (no more out-of-breath Singler bouncing free-throws off the front of the rim towards game end...).

Hell, this one's so good even the News and Observer might send a reporter to cover us!

-BDBD ;)

P.S. I see Lance Thomas getting some good play in this one, as he would seem to match up better vs Monroe's speed in the post. We'll see...

Classof06
01-16-2009, 02:58 PM
Easily the biggest test for Duke thus far. I think most of us can agree that while they might meet expectations come March, neither Purdue nor Xavier were as good as advertised. That doesn't mean they're not quality wins for Duke but it is what it is.

For people like me, who were still in football mode and "sleepwalked" through most of Duke's first 15 or so games, this is the first really big game of the year. I'm curious to see how we shoot from the field. We haven't shot well in any of our last three games. We might be able to win despite an off night from the field against VT/FSU/GT, but not certainly not Georgetown.

The major advantage I think Duke has is that we're a much deeper team. Whether Krzyzewski decides to use that depth is another question. Zoubek played 19 minutes against GT, which is something I'd like to see continue. But I really do think Plumlee needs to start getting quality minutes because we're going to need him come March.

I envision a lot of great individual battles. I want to see how Henderson plays, especially in an intruiging matchup with Austin Freeman. Nolan is going to have his hands more than full with Chris Wright and Singler vs. DaJuan Summers is another really good matchup. Scheyer vs. Jesse Sapp won't disappoint either. These two teams match up well.

Personally, tomorrow will tell me more about this team than any game we've played thus far. I truly can't wait to see how this all goes down. Go Duke.

Classof06
01-16-2009, 03:03 PM
Georgetown has only played 2 true road games this season (ND, PITT). They're 1-1.

jv001
01-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Easily the biggest test for Duke thus far. I think most of us can agree that while they might meet expectations come March, neither Purdue nor Xavier were as good as advertised. That doesn't mean they're not quality wins for Duke but it is what it is.

The major advantage I think Duke has is that we're a much deeper team. Whether Krzyzewski decides to use that depth is another question. Zoubek played 19 minutes against GT, which is something I'd like to see continue. But I really do think Plumlee needs to start getting quality minutes because we're going to need him come March.

Personally, tomorrow will tell me more about this team than any game we've played thus far. I truly can't wait to see how this all goes down. Go Duke.

Good post. I think that this is a big test for us as well. But if we beat GT will people then say GT is not as good as adversised? That's what happened when we beat Purdue and Xavier. As for Zoubek this is a great chance to prove himself. Not that he has to get a double double, but just hold his own on defense and secure rebounds while staying out of foul trouble. I think this may be the game that Greg steps it up and hits outside shots. However I don't think he will get major mins against their quick backcourt. Duke by 3 pts. Go Duke!

SilkyJ
01-16-2009, 03:10 PM
Despite playing 10 against 'cuse, the hoyas don't really go that deep. Their starting 5 can play with anyone but there is big drop off once you go to the bench. Hopefully we can tire/foul them out. We don't have an answer for Monroe in the post, and Zoubs has an especially hard time with guys who like to drift out to the perimeter as monroe has shown the ability to do, but I think overall we'll be OK.

Thompson II was quoted in yesterday's Washington Post as wishing the Hoyas would be "more thuggish" and physical. That says some things regarding the character of the programs and their long-term leadership.

I am surprised to read that. I thought JTIII was more of a classy than to actually use the word thuggish.

I want to beatdown Georgetown and specifically Greg Monroe in the worst way.

Hoya Suxa :D

I don't see how either of these two posts contribute to the discussion. IMO, they only add to the already high level noise on this board and I wish more people would make comments about these types of posts and ask those who post them frequently to stop.

77devil
01-16-2009, 03:30 PM
I am surprised to read that. I thought JTIII was more of a classy than to actually use the word thuggish.

The alleged statement was attrbuted to Thompson II who has had a tendency to stick foot in mouth over the years. I couldn't find the statememnt in the Post and am sceptical about it even coming from the elder Thompson. The original poster should have included a link.

Ian
01-16-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't see how either of these two posts contribute to the discussion. IMO, they only add to the already high level noise on this board and I wish more people would make comments about these types of posts and ask those who post them frequently to stop.

Yes, because being basketball fans is all about high level mental discourses and not about being irrationally exuberant fanatics.

In other words, lighten up.

MChambers
01-16-2009, 03:40 PM

I agree. I hope we beat Georgetown, but I don't have any ill will towards Greg Monroe or the Hoyas.

JDev
01-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Georgetown has 9 players getting 10 or more minutes a game, so they do play a lot of guys, but statistically there is a large production drop off after their top five. They have balanced scoring with four players averaging double figures: Summers at 15ppg, Freeman at 13, Monroe at 13, and Wright at 12. They seem like Duke in the sense that rebounding is largely done by committee, with no individual player averaging more than 6 boards. They turn the ball over about 13 times a game, and their assist to turnover ratio is about 1-1, so Duke might be able to turn them over a bit. They shoot free throws well, at about a 73% clip, but they are only hitting about 35% of their threes as a team, which might be good news for a Duke team that is not shooting that well either. They have some good wins, most notably @ UConn and last game against Syracuse. They are 2-2 in their last four games, but both losses came against ranked teams. Both teams will play good defense, so it would be a very good game for Duke to find an offensive groove, particularly shooting the ball. It should be an outstanding game.

mapei
01-16-2009, 04:42 PM
Re: "thugs"

Big John Thompson (JTjr, the elder, not JT3) did say that on his radio show after the Hoyas got creamed by Pitt's physical play. But he said it while laughing (I was listening) and quite clearly did not mean it seriously. That said, even as a longtime Georgetown fan, JTjr taught a game that was more aggressively physical than I was sometimes comfortable with.

JT3 is not like that at ALL. He is extremely classy and recruits great students, well-spoken guys whom Duke would also be proud to have. And there's no more reason for Duke fans to hate Greg Monroe, who seems a good guy to me, than for Georgetown fans to hate Ryan Kelly next year. You win some and lose some in recruiting, that's the way it goes.

Georgetown runs a fast break and precision offense in the half-court, along with a defensive style that looks a lot like Duke's. They will drop into zone occasionally but not often. I agree that it's a good matchup for both teams, and I agree that Duke has the stronger bench, though Georgetown's is improving rapidly.

Someone wrote that the Hoyas have played only two road games. While technically true, there was a third game against UConn in Hartford, in an arena filled with rabid Husky fans.

Let's hope for a good game with good sportsmanship all around.

greybeard
01-16-2009, 05:20 PM
I give Duke the edge in this game for a variety of reasons, one of which is not the Crazies. Having watched Monroe up close against Memphis, he strikes me as the kind of guy you do not want getting "motivated." In this case, Duke's sixth man, if it ain't careful, could cost Duke the ball game.

By the way, if Monroe takes a lot of grief and ups his game, two guys to watch out for are Mr. Sapp and a little known dude, Omar Wattad (I think that that is the spelling). Sapp will shut you down and, when things get intense, he has been known to find some game on the offensive end. This Omar kid, you do not want him guarding you, you do not want him on the floor when you have the ball. I do not care who you are. And, the wilder, more intense, things are, let me put it this way--you collide with him on the court, and you remember it for a lifetime. Those two guys, along with Freeman, present a kind of physical strength, a solidness, that makes having to attack them, or going for loose balls or long rebounds against them, a very formidable experience.

Another word about Freeman--he is as clever (smart) basketballwise as anyone Duke will compete against. He uses his cleverness off the ball. His game is at its best when the defense loses track of him. You lose track of him and he can hurt you; and, if he gets off, that really is key to Georgetown's best chance.

Like Maipei I look forward to the game but at the same time don't. He said it much better than I could.

CDu
01-16-2009, 06:12 PM
I give Duke the edge in this game for a variety of reasons, one of which is not the Crazies. Having watched Monroe up close against Memphis, he strikes me as the kind of guy you do not want getting "motivated." In this case, Duke's sixth man, if it ain't careful, could cost Duke the ball game.

By the way, if Monroe takes a lot of grief and ups his game, two guys to watch out for are Mr. Sapp and a little known dude, Omar Wattad (I think that that is the spelling). Sapp will shut you down and, when things get intense, he has been known to find some game on the offensive end. This Omar kid, you do not want him guarding you, you do not want him on the floor when you have the ball. I do not care who you are. And, the wilder, more intense, things are, let me put it this way--you collide with him on the court, and you remember it for a lifetime. Those two guys, along with Freeman, present a kind of physical strength, a solidness, that makes having to attack them, or going for loose balls or long rebounds against them, a very formidable experience.

Another word about Freeman--he is as clever (smart) basketballwise as anyone Duke will compete against. He uses his cleverness off the ball. His game is at its best when the defense loses track of him. You lose track of him and he can hurt you; and, if he gets off, that really is key to Georgetown's best chance.

Like Maipei I look forward to the game but at the same time don't. He said it much better than I could.

Wattad has averaged 7.4 minutes per game since conference play began, so I wouldn't worry too much about his impact on the game. He's a bit player for them.

As for the game, the key will be forcing turnovers and not getting beat on the back door cuts. It's always a challenge playing Georgetown because our defensive approach is to pressure the wings, which exposes us to the back door cuts.

77devil
01-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Phil Henderson's dunk is always worth watching in anticipation of a Duke vs Georgetown game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbIxFvMmcmc

tbyers11
01-16-2009, 06:35 PM
Georgetown has only played 2 true road games this season (ND, PITT). They're 1-1.

Georgetown has only played two road games but they were against ND (Loss) and UCONN (Win). Their loss against Pitt was at home.

Skitzle
01-16-2009, 06:37 PM
Phil Henderson's dunk is always worth watching in anticipation of a Duke vs Georgetown game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbIxFvMmcmc

I second that!

dukelifer
01-16-2009, 08:27 PM
I believe this is truly a matchup of the two best defensive teams in the country. . . and it scares me.

This is a midterm and not a final. This game has no impact other than showing where the team is at this point of the season. It should be close. Georgetown is not an offensive juggernaut and has a thin bench. Hopefully Duke's O is clicking and their depth can wear them out. But even if Duke loses- it does not really change anything. It will just confirm the perception that Duke cannot handle teams with big inside players. I like this game at this point in the season. Duke will need to play well and I expect they will rise to the occasion.

DukieBoy
01-16-2009, 08:28 PM
Found a link from espn that quickly breaks down our game (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=notebook/weekendwatch1601). They, however, think Georgetown will win in a tight game but do acknowledge our deep bench. The link is about halfway down the page.

MChambers
01-16-2009, 08:38 PM
Found a link from espn that quickly breaks down our game (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/notebook?page=notebook/weekendwatch1601). They, however, think Georgetown will win in a tight game but do acknowledge our deep bench. The link is about halfway down the page.

In this case. Guess he doesn't read this site anymore, or he'd know that Duke has no depth and plays its key players too much.:)

77devil
01-16-2009, 09:21 PM

They is a he, our old friend Jay Bilas.

Kedsy
01-16-2009, 09:45 PM
It will just confirm the perception that Duke cannot handle teams with big inside players.

Whose perception is that? We just handled two pretty big teams, on the road, including the biggest team in the country. The only game we've lost was to a team that didn't really have a big inside player.

greybeard
01-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Wattad has averaged 7.4 minutes per game since conference play began, so I wouldn't worry too much about his impact on the game. He's a bit player for them.

As for the game, the key will be forcing turnovers and not getting beat on the back door cuts. It's always a challenge playing Georgetown because our defensive approach is to pressure the wings, which exposes us to the back door cuts.

7 minutes with Wattad could be 10-12. Not saying he will beat you, just saying you will feel like he has. The guy is stone and it hurts just looking at him. JTIII plays him for a reason and believe me its not his shot. Georgetown wins with its defense too, and substitutes sometimes contribute significantly and differently than the guys who are the "best" ballplayers, aka McClure.

If Georgetown wins, its defense will have to be tremendously effective against a superior offensive team. You don't watch out, Wattan can soften you up and you stay softened, and no one said "you" has to be in the singular.

Not saying it will happen. But Georgetown's defense depends on guys who are thick and quick and daringly determine to beat you. Chris Wallace has thighs like walls, Freeman is a wall, Sapp is over-muscled and a loose-ball dervish, and Wattan is a little the other side of human.

They are like prize fighters who take the body. Nothing remotely dirty or rough. Wattan is Joe Frazer in his prime.

You be battling these guys and the thought is you have less to deliver and you get fewer of the loose ones. Then somebody has to deal with the big guy.

This has the old man written all over it even though it looks all so much calmer and more civil then in the old days.

DukePA
01-17-2009, 12:08 AM
Despite playing 10 against 'cuse, the hoyas don't really go that deep. Their starting 5 can play with anyone but there is big drop off once you go to the bench. Hopefully we can tire/foul them out. We don't have an answer for Monroe in the post, and Zoubs has an especially hard time with guys who like to drift out to the perimeter as monroe has shown the ability to do, but I think overall we'll be OK.

Did you miss the emoticon I used? Were you in Cameron among the Cameron Crazies as I was the last time Georgetown played in Durham? If you were, you would remember that we responded to the Georgetown fans who were chanting "Hoya Saxa" with "Hoya Suxa." Perhaps we need a specific "tongue in cheek" emoticon in order to avoid this type of retort, but then again . . .

dukelifer
01-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Whose perception is that? We just handled two pretty big teams, on the road, including the biggest team in the country. The only game we've lost was to a team that didn't really have a big inside player.
Duke could beat 10 big teams in a row- but if they lose to one- the pundits come out with this criticism. Every team has their perceived (not necessarily real) weakness. UNC can't play defense, Wake is young, Maryland is dysfunctional, State has chemistry problems, Tech is unstable...you get the picture. All I am just saying if Duke loses this is what would likely happen. Now if Duke beats Georgetown with ease (which is what I hope)- perhaps that perception might be challenged.

jpfrizzle
01-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Now if Duke beats Georgetown with ease (which is what I hope)- perhaps that perception might be challenged.

I also hope for the same thing. and, I really think they can, in the 2nd half though.

Go DUKE ! ! ! !

devildownunder
01-17-2009, 10:37 AM
They is a he, our old friend Jay Bilas.

At the end of his breakdown, he writes: "Duke is deeper and better but I like Georgetown in a really tight game."

If you think we're better and deeper AND playing at home, why do you like the other team to win? Not saying he's crazy to pick the Hoyas, I just don't get the logic.

grossbus
01-17-2009, 11:40 AM
well, we need to shoot the ball well early (something we have not done often).

need lance to play like this year and not like his freshman year (which is what he did the last game).

need G to be engaged from the start.

our D is what our D is, but our O will determine how well we do.

calltheobvious
01-17-2009, 11:41 AM
At the end of his breakdown, he writes: "Duke is deeper and better but I like Georgetown in a really tight game."

If you think we're better and deeper AND playing at home, why do you like the other team to win? Not saying he's crazy to pick the Hoyas, I just don't get the logic.

Jay is simply exhibiting classic risk-seeking behavior. He feels that the loaded coin will come up heads 60% of the time, but the utility of being right on a tails call is sufficient to overcome the pure odds against.

For purposes of the bias discussion, the important issue is not that he picked Georgetown but that he wrote what he did about Duke.

Cameron
01-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Gotta love Jay Bilas' exaggeration of self-importance. Who you picking, Jay? "Georgetown in a sqeaker." Considering Game Day is in the Dome, this comes as no surprise.

I like Jay and think he is a great illustrator in the booth, but it is rather annoying in terms of how obvious his "I am not a homer" charade is. It's okay to pick Duke, Jay, especially when it hasn't lost at home in almost a decade to a non-conference opponent. Not that the Hoyas aren't a team with a viable chance of winning today, but come on.

When Hubert Davis was asked to pick, it was "Carolina baby. You know who I am picking." Sometimes that attitude is okay, IMO. I know he's in front of the home crowd, but he would have picked it in Cameron, too.

Perhaps I am letting something overly meaningless bother me, though.

I'm sure somebody with come correct me..

joey0403p
01-17-2009, 12:39 PM
The thug comment came from JT II, the dad, the guy that coached in the 80's and 90's. I heard the comment too and hear what he had to say after it. He meant G town needed to be more physical. This was at the height of their rebounding funk. Don't get me wrong - they are still not a great rebounding team; but the aforementioned improvement of their bench, most notably J Vaughn and H Simms (both in the 6'10'' range) has helped with that.

Full disclosure - I'm a huge hoya fan and I hate Duke. But I think this is a wonderfully scheduled game. Both teams will get a lot out of it in terms of how they match up against they other type of team. G town will play a ton of ranked opponents this year (because of the Big East size and number of teams ranked). Duke will play some ranked teams but mostly (UNC, Wake, 1 maybe 2 other ACC teams that bubble up). G town's problem will be that all the ranked teams they play are going to beat eachother up in conference play and we probably wont end up with more than 1 team in teh top 5. Duke is only going to have real experience playing "acc" ball.

I'm not insulting acc ball - but its different than big east ball. And come ncaa time - each team having experience with the other can only help.

That said - I think the game comes down to g town's presence. If we can deal with your fans, refs (if only perceived bias because its a road game), etc. I think we win. If we don't handle that well - you guys take it.

either way shoudl be a great game. I don't expect a blow out on either side. unless a 5 - 6 point game gets expanded to 10 - 12 in the final 2 mins with fouling and what not.

Troublemaker
01-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Re: "thugs"

Big John Thompson (JTjr, the elder, not JT3) did say that on his radio show after the Hoyas got creamed by Pitt's physical play. But he said it while laughing (I was listening) and quite clearly did not mean it seriously. That said, even as a longtime Georgetown fan, JTjr taught a game that was more aggressively physical than I was sometimes comfortable with.

JT3 is not like that at ALL. He is extremely classy and recruits great students, well-spoken guys whom Duke would also be proud to have. And there's no more reason for Duke fans to hate Greg Monroe, who seems a good guy to me, than for Georgetown fans to hate Ryan Kelly next year. You win some and lose some in recruiting, that's the way it goes.

Georgetown runs a fast break and precision offense in the half-court, along with a defensive style that looks a lot like Duke's. They will drop into zone occasionally but not often. I agree that it's a good matchup for both teams, and I agree that Duke has the stronger bench, though Georgetown's is improving rapidly.

Someone wrote that the Hoyas have played only two road games. While technically true, there was a third game against UConn in Hartford, in an arena filled with rabid Husky fans.

Let's hope for a good game with good sportsmanship all around.

Nice post. I think there's a bit of misconception about Georgetown in this thread. They're not like this huge physical team nor are they tremendous defensively. They just play at a slow pace so their scores are generally lower than other teams. In truth, Duke should control the boards in this game and put up our best offensive performance in two or three weeks. Should doesn't mean will, though.

I like a lot of the intangibles for Duke going into this game. The Devils are deeper, more experienced, and coming home after a couple of physical road games. Duke is also due for one of those games where we hit 13 of 25 from three and the opponent really has no chance. I actually hope that does NOT happen because I'd like to see Duke in a one or two possession game down the stretch to see what plays we go to and what players will step up.

willywoody
01-17-2009, 01:21 PM
The thug comment came from JT II, the dad, the guy that coached in the 80's and 90's. I heard the comment too and hear what he had to say after it. He meant G town needed to be more physical. This was at the height of their rebounding funk. Don't get me wrong - they are still not a great rebounding team; but the aforementioned improvement of their bench, most notably J Vaughn and H Simms (both in the 6'10'' range) has helped with that.

Full disclosure - I'm a huge hoya fan and I hate Duke. But I think this is a wonderfully scheduled game. Both teams will get a lot out of it in terms of how they match up against they other type of team. G town will play a ton of ranked opponents this year (because of the Big East size and number of teams ranked). Duke will play some ranked teams but mostly (UNC, Wake, 1 maybe 2 other ACC teams that bubble up). G town's problem will be that all the ranked teams they play are going to beat eachother up in conference play and we probably wont end up with more than 1 team in teh top 5. Duke is only going to have real experience playing "acc" ball.

I'm not insulting acc ball - but its different than big east ball. And come ncaa time - each team having experience with the other can only help.

That said - I think the game comes down to g town's presence. If we can deal with your fans, refs (if only perceived bias because its a road game), etc. I think we win. If we don't handle that well - you guys take it.

either way shoudl be a great game. I don't expect a blow out on either side. unless a 5 - 6 point game gets expanded to 10 - 12 in the final 2 mins with fouling and what not.

I watched the Georgetown - Notre Dame game and it wasn't anywhere near as physical as Duke's games against Va Tech or Florida State. Just because the teams aren't good teams doesn't mean the play will be less physical, in fact I think it may be the opposite. As to the leagues being reffed differently, I think that used to be the case, with the Big east being more physical, but is much less so nowadays.

grossbus
01-17-2009, 01:33 PM
they just said zoobs not starting. why? is he available at all? wassup???

Billy Dat
01-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I think I just heard that Zoubek isn't playing (got to the pre-game late). Is that true?

COYS
01-17-2009, 01:34 PM
I just heard the announcer say Zoubek wasn't in the lineup, today? I was just getting settled so I wasn't sure if I heard that correctly. Did anyone else hear this or know what's going on? Thanks

willywoody
01-17-2009, 01:36 PM
I surely don't know as I'm stuck watching NCSU - Ga Tech on CBS in Charleston, SC.

riverside6
01-17-2009, 01:36 PM
Here's the link to live tempo-based stats (http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=1991) on my site for those interested.

Not sure about Zoubek, but I'm guessing its just a matchup thing against the Hoyas.

dukeforester
01-17-2009, 01:38 PM
I am also watching NCSU vs GT on Direct tv in Richmond VA.

Edouble
01-17-2009, 01:44 PM
I can't believe that I'm watching NCSU/Tech in Richmond, VA. Geographically, we're right in between Duke and Georgetown!

Go Duke!!!

Coballs
01-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Looks like it's going to be a good one.

quickgtp
01-17-2009, 01:45 PM
Looks like Zoubs is checking in. We need him in there. Singler has his hands full offensively in the paint, and McClure is a non-factor on O.

COYS
01-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Wow, interesting substitutions, already.

Cameron
01-17-2009, 01:56 PM
Nice to see Marty with that penetration and sick no-look bounce pass down to Elliot for two.

Paulus also with a nice triple out front to get going early.

We need to guard the three, however. Damn.

unwrinkled ear
01-17-2009, 01:56 PM
why was freeman's basket counted when he was called for the offensive foul when score was gu 3, duke 5? from then on, it was gu 5, duke 5, and score never corrected.

Cameron
01-17-2009, 02:00 PM
Our usual jump shooters have been absolutely horrid of late.

Good thing Gerald put on his superman cape a couple games back.

Coballs
why was freeman's basket counted when he was called for the offensive foul when score was gu 3, duke 5? from then on, it was gu 5, duke 5, and score never corrected.

He released the ball before the foul occurred.

grossbus
we have to stop penetration by their guards.

scheyer and singler have to start hitting. NOW!

Cameron
01-17-2009, 02:02 PM
Superman indeed.

Without Gerald, our shooting has to be in the 30s in terms of our usual jump shooters over the past several games.

darkblue2769
01-17-2009, 02:03 PM
I know it's still early, but it looks like G is the one keeping us in the game AGAIN. Leading scorer with 11 points (next most is Paulus with 5) and all of our last 4 baskets.

grossbus
01-17-2009, 02:03 PM
nolan smith has to play harder on D.

darkblue2769
01-17-2009, 02:05 PM
That NCSU-GT game better not go into OT, or I'm going to have to kill somebody.

FireOgilvie
nolan smith has to play harder on D.

He looked like he was jogging back on one play. I've never seen him do that.

Vincetaylor
It would be nice if someone other than Henderson would start playing. He is carrying us AGAIN!! I am very excited about his play though. Coach K must have sat him down after the Michigan game and told him that this team's success depends on him.

Billy Dat
01-17-2009, 02:07 PM
We're getting a lot of deflections but not turning them into turnovers - a lot of bad bounces early, and this is the first team that has succesfully run on us - it's the D hurting us right now, but a nice intense game!

darkblue2769
01-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Ok, I'm going to have to kill somebody. I hate not being able to actually watch the game! Stupid OT!

Edouble
01-17-2009, 02:14 PM
Ok, I'm going to have to kill somebody. I hate not being able to actually watch the game! Stupid OT!

I share your pain.

Really stupid broadcasting decision.

Cameron
01-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Gerald Henderson.

Karl Beem
01-17-2009, 02:16 PM
Smoking hot!:D

geraldsneighbor
01-17-2009, 02:17 PM
G for president

juise
01-17-2009, 02:17 PM
I don't remember the last time I saw such a dominating offensive performance from a Duke player. (Perhaps it was from #4.)

Coballs
01-17-2009, 02:18 PM

It probably won't make you feel any better that you're missing a complete clinic put on by G

darkblue2769
01-17-2009, 02:19 PM
Man, G is lighting things up! 2 straight 3's! This is great.

SupaDave
01-17-2009, 02:19 PM
I'm thinking G has turned the corner...

darkblue2769
01-17-2009, 02:20 PM
It probably won't make you feel any better that you're missing a complete clinic put on by G

Too true, I'm watching the GameCast on the ESPN website, in equal parts awe and anger at the show he seems to be putting on.

Karl Beem
01-17-2009, 02:21 PM
Cold as ice!:mad:

Coballs
01-17-2009, 02:25 PM
Singler should be at the line shooting 2.......unless a forearm to the back is no longer considered a foul.

grossbus
01-17-2009, 02:26 PM
nice run to finish the half.

G!

if scheyer and singler can start hitting too...

if we can keep their guards from penetrating, it will help a lot. nolan is trailing his man a lot.

Billy Dat
01-17-2009, 02:27 PM
Those screaming for a deeper rotation are going to have something to crow about after that first half - great minutes by Plumlee!

Also, I am glad Greg Monroe thinks he's a point guard - a charge is a charge Greg.

rthomas
Somebody ate his Wheaties this morning!!

geraldsneighbor
Gerald has provided a swagger we have been missing. The team runs through G and Kyle now, with Scheyer also contributing in big ways. Paulus has his swagger back as well.

Is it too early to say Plumlee is our best big? I kid, but boy did he have a first half. He provided some big minutes.

Think Monroe with those 3 personals wishes he went to Duke now?

jpfrizzle
01-17-2009, 02:30 PM
What a great game this is, wouldn't you agree?!

Keep up the great work guys!!

Go DUKE ! ! ! !

quickgtp
01-17-2009, 02:33 PM
G is a madman.....Plumlee played great in that half......I love that K is using a deep bench today. Money!

Billy Dat
01-17-2009, 02:34 PM
G and the Monroe fouls are the story of the half. Georgetown is a far different, and worse, team with Monroe on the bench.

Summers killed us over the first ten minutes.

Also, it felt like all of Singler's offensive turnovers led to G-Town run outs, but maybe its just that G-Town is really effective running off any miss.

dukebsbll14
01-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Very good first half. G is on fire!! Lets keep shooting the ball well (or Singler gets going), keep playing good d, and keep pressure on Monroe when he's in there and we'll win.

Gah I wish I had one of the cheer sheets so I could see what they're saying about Monroe. I liked when there was like 10 seconds left on the shot clock and the crazies started going 5..4..3..2...1...ahhh! Classic.

GO DUKE!!

wilko
01-17-2009, 02:36 PM
Thats the best half of O I've seen out of Duke in a while.
Hope they can sustain it.

No one remenbers who was leading at the break...

grossbus
01-17-2009, 02:36 PM
start this half STRONG!

Edouble
01-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Singler should be at the line shooting 2.......unless a forearm to the back is no longer considered a foul.

Isn't that basic post defense?

Of course since I can't see the game I don't really know what you're talking about.

geraldsneighbor
01-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Duke loves playing on CBS. The First half of the Xavier game and today's first half are very close in the quality of play Duke had.

Coballs
01-17-2009, 02:45 PM
Isn't that basic post defense?

Of course since I can't see the game I don't really know what you're talking about.

Not when Singler's driving the lane and the defender is behind him.

Coballs
01-17-2009, 02:47 PM
12-2 Georgetown run. Not exactly what we needed.

geraldsneighbor
01-17-2009, 02:47 PM
What a phantom foul call on McClure. Summers' move completely missed any contact David was about to give.

Cameron
01-17-2009, 02:48 PM
Well this Hoya comeback was a given.

We all knew it was coming.

DukieInBrasil
01-17-2009, 02:55 PM
i arrived at halftime, very pleased to see us up 11, but even more so to see that G was blowing it up and that our O in general seemed to have moved pretty smoothly.
After a nice first flurry to start the second, we have begun to give up a nice run to G´town, not good.
Let´s go guys, tear em up!!!

geraldsneighbor
01-17-2009, 02:55 PM
Stunned my Monroe's immaturity on the bench getting a tech like that.

dukebsbll14
01-17-2009, 02:56 PM
4 fouls for Monroe

Coballs
01-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Was Monroe's 4th a contact foul or the technical?

geraldsneighbor
01-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech foul

DukieInBrasil
01-17-2009, 02:57 PM
and then POW!! Wham-O!!! We´re right back up by 10. Good work guys!!!

prefan21
01-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Stunned my Monroe's immaturity on the bench getting a tech like that.

So Monroe yapped at the refs from the bench and got T'd up? Yikes.

Also, is it just me, or are these CBS announcers pretty good? They talk about the game, don't repeat any long distracting anecdotes, and do their best to give insight. I'm enjoying it.

jpfrizzle
01-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Hey Monroe,

Please be seated while the game is in play, since you're benched.
and,
Welcome to Cameron Indoor Stadium!!!

FireOgilvie
01-17-2009, 03:00 PM
This is by far Paulus' best game of the year... on both sides of the ball.

He's looked really good.

Karl Beem
01-17-2009, 03:00 PM
Solid game by GP.

Karl Beem
01-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Awesome game for GP.

juise
01-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Great spark from Greg... and he's getting a little chippy... not such a bad thing (not taking any crap).

geraldsneighbor
01-17-2009, 03:03 PM
We asked for Greg, and we got him. How can you not love the kids intensity? and my god can he shoot the basketball.

dukebsbll14
01-17-2009, 03:05 PM
ahhh I love when GP3 hits those long threes!!! He's so clutch!

GO DUKE!!

juise
01-17-2009, 03:12 PM
Man, this game feels like a momentum rollercoaster. Kyle needs to show some more composure there.

DukieInBrasil
01-17-2009, 03:12 PM
great spark from GP, we´ve needed that from him. I hope he keeps it up, in this game, and moving forward.
A real nice little run there to get us up 16.
3pt play from GTown to bring it back to 13.
Side note: Kyle is rebounding like a monster, but his rhythm on O is pretty bad.

CDu
01-17-2009, 03:15 PM
The plus/minus today is likely to be skewed by who was on the floor when Greg Monroe was out. Monroe's plus minus is like +10, while Georgetown is like -20 without him.

That technical on Monroe was HUGE. Great defensive game for us since that rough first ten minutes.

FireOgilvie
01-17-2009, 03:16 PM
Amazing block by Henderson on Monroe... I wish they'd show that again.

geraldsneighbor
01-17-2009, 03:17 PM
We have really scraped LT and Zoub in the 2nd half and are riding the small line-up train all afternoon.

_Gary
01-17-2009, 03:22 PM
Foul calls have really mounted against us in the 2nd half. The Hoyas are in the double bonus with just under 6 minutes to go.

FireOgilvie
01-17-2009, 03:28 PM
I never say this, but these refs are absolutely terrible.

Oh fantastic, CBS suddenly stopped working.

juise
01-17-2009, 03:30 PM

Yeah, I've been stuck with a giant Reese's peanut butter cup and the words "THEY LOOK EVEN BETTER" for the last 2-3 minutes.

Edit: And we're back to commercials.

godukerocks
01-17-2009, 03:30 PM
I never say this, but these refs are absolutely terrible.

I feel this commercial should be over right about now.

geraldsneighbor
01-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Glad I missed that Henderson lay-up. Thanks CBS.

FireOgilvie
01-17-2009, 03:32 PM
...and CBS is back.

Henderson is the man.

geraldsneighbor
01-17-2009, 03:33 PM
If that happens during the NCAA's, CBS will have hell to pay.

Coballs
01-17-2009, 03:41 PM
Great W