PDA

View Full Version : top 10 matchups

Olympic Fan
01-15-2009, 12:59 PM
Barry's list of ACC top 10 matchups on the front page got me to thinking about Saturday's game between No. 2 Wake Forest at No. 10 Clemson.

Obviously, there are a lot of top 10 matchups in the ACC over the years, but how many that don't include either Duke or UNC?

I did a little research and it looks like the last time two ACC teams were involved in a matchup of top 10 teams that didn't include either UNC or Duke was Jan. 31, 2002, when No. 3 Maryland beat No. 8 Virginia (Virginia was just starting a downward spiral from a high of No. 4 to out of the polls).

Before that, I have to go back to 1997 and 1998, when Wake and Maryland played a number of games when both in the top 10. Georgia Tech and Wake just missed in 2004 -- Tech was No. 11 and Wake No. 10 when they met on Jan. 20 of that year.

I could have missed a couple (any other candidates?) but it looks to me like Saturday's game will be almost unique -- just the second game in the last decade to match two top 10 teams with neither of them being Duke or UNC.