PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Favors to GT

Diddy
01-14-2009, 09:17 PM
First, congratulations to GT. This is a monster get.

This is good for DUke for numerous reasons.

1. It extends the career of a mediocre coach in Hewitt. This keeps a coach who is no real threat to Duke at his post for at least 2 more years. Awesome.

2. I see this as a real strategic coup for K. He was wise to abandon his recruitment of Favors early. Favors wasn't leavng the state of Ga, and any time spent recruiting him to Duke would have been a waste. sized the kid up, realized the score, and moved on. Brava, K, Brava.

3. This shuts up those compleltely delusional NCSU fans who entertained thoughts of Favors suitig up for the Pack. One of those guys posts here, and it was funny to hear him cling to this delusion.

4. In similiar vein Favors to GT helps Duke with John Wall. In the (impossible) scenario of NCSU getting Favors, Wall MIGHT have been enticed to NCSU. Now, well, I don't see the weapons at NCSU for a past first PG. The cupboard isn't exacty bare, but at Duke, there are weapons aplenty.

Overall, congrats to GT. You got a great one-and-done who won't dramatically help the program. I mean, he and Lawal play almost the same game.

geraldsneighbor
01-14-2009, 09:19 PM
One and Done U strikes again.

Diddy
01-14-2009, 09:29 PM
One and Done U strikes again.

And gets no better in the long run.

snowdenscold
01-14-2009, 09:38 PM
Bilas tonight was pretty critical of the way Favors made his announcement. Said he was making way too much of a show out of it. (I didn't see the actual announcement, but if Bilas's description is accurate, then I would tend to agree.)

geraldsneighbor
01-14-2009, 09:40 PM
Bilas tonight was pretty critical of the way Favors made his announcement. Said he was making way too much of a show out of it.

I agree.

ice-9
01-14-2009, 09:49 PM
Is GT getting a PG recruit? Because they need a good one in the worst way -- Favors won't get GT into the NCAA tourney if if they can't get him the ball.

Diddy
01-14-2009, 10:34 PM
Mild Disagreement there. I think Shumpert will be a good PG, next year. He is like Nolan last year, only there is no SR to play while he learns. Next year they will be OK at the PG slot.

SupaDave
01-14-2009, 11:28 PM
Tech has gotten a commit from a good guard as well.

SupaDave
01-14-2009, 11:31 PM
Tech has gotten a commit from a good guard as well.

In fact we have an excellent class coming in. Right now I'd have to say it rivals anyone.

http://georgiatech.scout.com/a.z?s=140&p=9&cfg=bb&c=4&yr=2009

TheBrianZoubekExperience
01-14-2009, 11:39 PM
I don't really agree with Bilas about the announcement. All Favors did was sit there and politely talk about the teams for a minute and then he had someone hand him a plastic bag and he pulled out a GT hat. That was it. ESPNU probably requested he do it on TV and really the only extra thing he did was pull the hat out of the bag. Compared to football recruit announcements I've seen in recent weeks it was pretty tame. I saw at least one football recruit who had a table of different hats and talked about each team and slowly tossed them away one by one until he picked his team. I saw another football recruit announce by pointing to his brother and the brother took off his jacket and had a jersey of the team on. I think this type of things is just expected now with more media, ESPNU, etc. I think Bilas was overreacting.

Cali-Duke
01-15-2009, 12:32 AM
I don't really agree with Bilas about the announcement. All Favors did was sit there and politely talk about the teams for a minute and then he had someone hand him a plastic bag and he pulled out a GT hat. That was it. ESPNU probably requested he do it on TV and really the only extra thing he did was pull the hat out of the bag. Compared to football recruit announcements I've seen in recent weeks it was pretty tame. I saw at least one football recruit who had a table of different hats and talked about each team and slowly tossed them away one by one until he picked his team. I saw another football recruit announce by pointing to his brother and the brother took off his jacket and had a jersey of the team on. I think this type of things is just expected now with more media, ESPNU, etc. I think Bilas was overreacting.

I think Jay Bilas not only had a problem with the suitcase with the plastic bag, but also with the fact that Favors didn't tell any of the coaches about anything. The announcers mentioned that when they asked Hewitt of Favors announcing before the game, Hewitt said he didn't know Favors was going to do that. Personally, I think that leaving the coaches, who have spent an enormous amount of resources on recruiting these players, out of the loop is too much. But that's just my 0.02.

ncexnyc
01-15-2009, 12:44 AM

1. It extends the career of a mediocre coach in Hewitt. This keeps a coach who is no real threat to Duke at his post for at least 2 more years. Awesome.

2. I see this as a real strategic coup for K. He was wise to abandon his recruitment of Favors early. Favors wasn't leavng the state of Ga, and any time spent recruiting him to Duke would have been a waste. sized the kid up, realized the score, and moved on. Brava, K, Brava.

3. This shuts up those compleltely delusional NCSU fans who entertained thoughts of Favors suitig up for the Pack. One of those guys posts here, and it was funny to hear him cling to this delusion.

4. In similiar vein Favors to GT helps Duke with John Wall. In the (impossible) scenario of NCSU getting Favors, Wall MIGHT have been enticed to NCSU. Now, well, I don't see the weapons at NCSU for a past first PG. The cupboard isn't exacty bare, but at Duke, there are weapons aplenty.

Overall, congrats to GT. You got a great one-and-done who won't dramatically help the program. I mean, he and Lawal play almost the same game.

I hope you weren't serious.

FireOgilvie
01-15-2009, 12:47 AM
I think Jay Bilas not only had a problem with the suitcase with the plastic bag, but also with the fact that Favors didn't tell any of the coaches about anything. The announcers mentioned that when they asked Hewitt of Favors announcing before the game, Hewitt said he didn't know Favors was going to do that. Personally, I think that leaving the coaches, who have spent an enormous amount of resources on recruiting these players, out of the loop is too much. But that's just my 0.02.

I'm guessing he told the coaches before his public TV announcement so it didn't matter to Hewitt. I really doubt he made Sidney Lowe watch him on TV to find out. That would be pretty terrible.

Edit: Also, to the guy who said this was good for Duke... Favors isn't just some average center. He's the number 1 or 2 player in the entire class. Hewitt also got GT to the NCAA Finals in 03-04... the last time Coach K made it there. So give the guy a break. This is a big deal... even if he only stays for a year.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
01-15-2009, 01:10 AM

Yeah, I know what you are saying. I was unclear on whether he actually told Hewitt or not. He seems to kind of joke around about it and that he was trying to mess with them which I took as a joke but I was assuming that he hadn't told Hewitt. I do think he should have told the coaches but I guess since that stuff leaks maybe he or espn wanted to do it live. Who knows. I guess I just viewed it as a 17 year old kid who is having a big day and seemed to be excited to declare and used the hat to make it a little more fun and involve a friend (or his brother?). I think he should have told the coaches but I really didn't have a problem with the hat thing.

I'd have to watch Bilas again to see what he said but here the Favors video:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=3833558

Edouble
01-15-2009, 02:28 AM

Damn, that is one harsh post.

If Tech beats us next year, you know you're gonna have to eat this one, right?

SupaDave
01-15-2009, 08:19 AM

Blame it all on Clausen! LOL! This goes all the way back to Kobe. Kids at their stage are pretty much already pro athletes - let them have some fun with it.

CameronBornAndBred
01-15-2009, 09:45 AM
If he doesn't get in the NCAA's next year with this guy, then it will be both of their's last year at GT.

SupaDave
01-15-2009, 10:21 AM
If he doesn't get in the NCAA's next year with this guy, then it will be both of their's last year at GT.

Coach Hewitt is not without his faults but he's only one year removed from the big dance - and he did that with two freshmen.

As I posted above, he's getting more than just Favors with some other quality recruits and a point guard who just might stay around 2-3 years.

With the addition of Favors there may be a lot more interest from Georgia area players - a state that is LOADED with talent.

Things are looking up for Coach Hewitt. Let's not forget that he's proven to be a good recruiter so I wouldn't start planning his eulogy just yet.

CameronBornAndBred
01-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Coach Hewitt is not without his faults but he's only one year removed from the big dance - and he did that with two freshmen.

As I posted above, he's getting more than just Favors with some other quality recruits and a point guard who just might stay around 2-3 years.

With the addition of Favors there may be a lot more interest from Georgia area players - a state that is LOADED with talent.

Things are looking up for Coach Hewitt. Let's not forget that he's proven to be a good recruiter so I wouldn't start planning his eulogy just yet.
I hope he does great things with GT, especially with the recruits he has coming in. I was stating that if he doesn't prove himself, then he will be done. I think Hewitt is one of the ACC coaching assets, it would be a shame to lose him. But for the talent that he has had, including this year, I think his teams have underperformed.

ncexnyc
01-15-2009, 12:05 PM
This thread is a joke! This board has had several posters lament the few defections we've had here at Duke and have used those losses as a contributing factor for our recent failures in the NCAA's. Tech has had numerous players jump early and the talent they've lost is vastly superior to the talent we've lost. When you consider the fact that Tech isn't an elite program like we are, the loss of even one major player can be devastating.

SupaDave
01-15-2009, 12:27 PM
I hope he does great things with GT, especially with the recruits he has coming in. I was stating that if he doesn't prove himself, then he will be done. I think Hewitt is one of the ACC coaching assets, it would be a shame to lose him. But for the talent that he has had, including this year, I think his teams have underperformed.

Can you tell me who Georgia Tech's point guard was last year?

Bluedog
01-15-2009, 12:44 PM
I'm guessing he told the coaches before his public TV announcement so it didn't matter to Hewitt. I really doubt he made Sidney Lowe watch him on TV to find out. That would be pretty terrible.

Well, he directly stated during the announcement that he had NOT already told Hewitt, so I doubt he told Lowe. I think the announcement was fine - except he should have told coaches beforehand, IMO.

Diddy
01-15-2009, 03:07 PM
Damn, that is one harsh post.

If Tech beats us next year, you know you're gonna have to eat this one, right?

Not really. Should Duke go really far this March, and we then have the expected attrition, Duke losing a game to GT is not that unexpected. When I say a coach who is no threat to Duke I mean in the long term. Hewitt will not turn GT into a perennial winning program that is competing with Tobacco Road for the League title. They will beat us on occaision, and have a solid chance to do so next year (if Lawal Returns). But they won't win the ACC. They Won't advance beyond the Sweet 16 (if they make the NCAAs, the have underachieved with more talent on the roster). And their most talented players will leave after next season, decimating the team.

Great Point. Hewitt has definitely underachieved with top notch talent at GT. I would not be schocked if they dinked the pooch next year. Their best returning player, Lawal, has a very similiar style and plays much the same position, as Favors. Shades of NCSU with Hickson and Costner from last year.
It will be interesting to watch.

Hewitt is a good guy. But I am less and less convinced that he is THE guy at GT. If Favors hadn't committed, he would've probably lost his job this year. They are almost a lock to finish in the bottom two of the conference, and have a great chance to finish Dead Last. There are not a lot of winnable games on their schedule with the roster they have. UVA looks like the best chance, and that isn't a gimme.

Slackerb
01-15-2009, 03:15 PM
Why the put-down on State? They were delusional about their chances with Favors? From what I had heard they were right there in the running, and Favors trip to watch the GT vs. Georgia game put him over the top.

The OP stinks of sour milk....

JimBD
01-15-2009, 07:20 PM
Some of my Georgia Tech friends have very mixed emotions about Hewitt. They say he hardly ever recruits or plays a white player, and he is not a good bench coach (loses a high percentage of close games), and his teams have generally underperformed given their level of talent, but that he can be a very good recruiter of black players.

As for Favors, perhaps he genuinely likes Hewitt and thinks he can be "the man" at Georgia Tech, and he wants to stay close to home for his one year in college. Also, Georgia Tech is a great school academically (don't know if that entered into his decision). But I was at the Duke/Georgia Tech game and the atmosphere was the least impressive I have ever seem at an ACC game. The stands were only half-full at the start of the game and the Tech fans seemed to have to force themselves to make noise. Tech, like Duke, is a relatively small school whose grads get scattered around the country-so they don't have a hugh local fan base (there are far more Georgia fans). Anyway my point is that Tech seems to have a fair-weather fan base that only supports really good teams and I don't see how Favors would be impressed by the atmosphere at Georgia Tech, though the game where he saw Tech beat Georgia was probably a sell-out and the crowd was probably loud.

I wish Favors had picked Duke, but since that was never a real possibility, I'm glad he picked Georgia Tech over North Carolina State, and I wish him the best of luck.

SupaDave
01-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Great Point. Hewitt has definitely underachieved with top notch talent at GT.

Top notch talent that has been one and done. Talented but still freshmen nonetheless. I can recall sitting and watching Javaris Crittendon struggle on more than one occasion.

Point guard turnover at Georgia Tech is high and it's hard to build a program in that fashion. It has basically become Georgia Tech's calling card and Alumni got spoiled by a good run of point guards.

For the record, as a Tech Grad, I can tell you that the Alumni fan base in Atlanta is VERY strong. That's funny to me. How else do you think the City of Atlanta got built? Remember that Tech is a STATE school so that represents a major difference in the Carolina/Duke - Georgia Tech/Georgia comparison. We take the best and brightest while Georgia takes ummmm...

Part of the problem with Tech is the strength of it's Alumni. They pretty much dominate all of the good seats at basketball and football games. Of course now that I'm an alumnus I have no problems with this.

Trust me - the students want to be crunk but their brains are fried and I can recall missing quite a few games due to group projects and exams. It's a grind at Tech. I mean people are doing stuff like building solar powered houses, http://www.gatech.edu/newsroom/release.html?id=1565 - watched these guys do this.

FireOgilvie
01-15-2009, 08:22 PM
Well, he directly stated during the announcement that he had NOT already told Hewitt, so I doubt he told Lowe. I think the announcement was fine - except he should have told coaches beforehand, IMO.

Hm. I have no idea how common that is, but I think that's an incredibly classless move.

Diddy
01-15-2009, 10:36 PM
If anybody is watching right now, Favors is not exactly blowing wind up my skirt. He is a good to great athlete, but certainly not an elite athlete. He has good skills, but not great skills. Essentially, he is a better athlete than Singler as a frosh last year, but his skills aren't as good. His ahtleticism indicates a greater upside than Kyle, but that is an NBA concern. Favors won't be at GT long enough to have any lasting impact on the program.

He is most certainly not at a Durant-like level of skill/athleticism. He can be a great player, but as a one and done he will be all about upside and potential, not immediate impact.

Per an earlier poster, I crack on NCSU because they deserve it. He may have been giving lip service to State, but the recruiting world has basically conceded Favors to a GA school since July. State hung in there, not unlike a pathetic, clinging ex-gf who won't TAKE A FREAKING HINT. Favors listed them so he could get another official, all-expenses paid visit. Kind of like LeBron listing Duke, UNC, et al, just to get official visits. Duke and UNC refused to bite, so no one else did.

A kid can, and frequently will, say anything when it comes to recruiting. For anyone who followed recruiting, at all, or anyone who can successfully add 2 plus 2, Favors to a GA school was a certainty. State's self serving delusions regarding Favors (and, increasingly, Wall) are just funny at this point.

SupaDave
01-16-2009, 11:32 AM
If anybody is watching right now, Favors is not exactly blowing wind up my skirt. He is a good to great athlete, but certainly not an elite athlete. He has good skills, but not great skills. Essentially, he is a better athlete than Singler as a frosh last year, but his skills aren't as good. His ahtleticism indicates a greater upside than Kyle, but that is an NBA concern. Favors won't be at GT long enough to have any lasting impact on the program.

He is most certainly not at a Durant-like level of skill/athleticism. He can be a great player, but as a one and done he will be all about upside and potential, not immediate impact.

To not be high on him you seem awfully sure he's going pro.

Diddy
01-16-2009, 01:22 PM
To not be high on him you seem awfully sure he's going pro.

I am not high on him as a college player. He will be a pro player. Very probably a good pro player. But Favors is not a sure fire stud in the NBA. He is a 6-9, athletic, skilled player. His ceiling is not at Durant like proportions. The player he was going against, Cousins, has a higher ceiling, if he gets into shape.

Favors IS a good to great athlete. His skills ARE relatively polished. In High School, a polished, athletic, 6-9 kid is a GOD. A walking, talking, GOD. He is nigh on unstoppable, becuase 99% of his competition either is not yet physically mature, or they are athletes who rely on athleticism because their skills are unpolished.

In college, and beyond, that will change. Kids who have polished skills, but lack the athleticism, will change their bodies in the gym (see Singler, Kyle). Other freak athletes will hone their skills (see Hill, Grant).

Look at it this way. Assuming that he and Singler were in the same class, Favors would probably have been a better player as a frosh.

But, presently, now that Kyle has had a year in the gym, is Favors that much better than Kyle? Favors may, and I emphasize the word MAY, have a better upside than Kyle. But as for the immediate impact on the court, Favors would not have more impact than Kyle. Kyle would probably have better numbers in most catagories. Favors might have more blocks, and more of his buckets would come on dunks, but that is it. Kyle would win on Points, Assists, Steals, and probably rebounds. I think the Aminu kid at WFU is a superior player to Favors.

To look at it another way, does anyone look at Favors and think that he is destined to be one of the best players in college next year? Or that he is destined to be one of the best players in the NBA one day? No. With a lot of hard work in the weightroom and in the gym polishing his skills, it COULD happen. Heck, he could spend that same amount of time woking hard and still be merely a very good NBA player, but not one of the game's titans.

I am not down on him per se. I am down on his college impact, because it certainly won't make GT one of the best teams in the nation, next year, and he will be gone after that. Nor do I think he will be one of the best ACC players next year.

It is not that I am down on him. I am simply not as up on him as a lot of others.