PDA

View Full Version : Help for Leadership Project on Coach K

kmspeaks
01-14-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm taking a leadership course this semester and we have to pick a leader for an individual project to be done over the course of the semester. Does anybody know any good books I can use as sources. I'm sure I can find plenty doing a google search but I just wanted to get any recommendations from the most knowledgeable people I know of on the subject of Coach K and Duke basetball.

Thanks

Edouble
01-14-2009, 02:03 PM
I'm taking a leadership course this semester and we have to pick a leader for an individual project to be done over the course of the semester. Does anybody know any good books I can use as sources. I'm sure I can find plenty doing a google search but I just wanted to get any recommendations from the most knowledgeable people I know of on the subject of Coach K and Duke basetball.

Thanks

Coach K's book, Leading with the Heart, is probably a good place to start. He outlines alot of his philosophy on leadership with basketball examples.

RainingThrees
01-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Beyond basketball is another good book.

aro24
01-14-2009, 04:29 PM
I, too, would recommend "Leading with the Heart". Great reference for leadership techniques pertaining to the business world as well as the game of basketball.

Good luck with the project.

ARo24

Mike Corey
01-14-2009, 06:34 PM

Thanks

KM,

What precisely is the assignment? Or rather, what about Coach K will you be asked to report?

If you're looking for K-specific books, the work of Jim Sumner and Barry Jacobs would be more than a little helpful.

Avoid anything and everything "penned" by Gregg Doyel. He doesn't rule.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
01-14-2009, 06:58 PM
Obviously the Coach K books are a great start and I'm sure you can find many ohters. If you are looking for a different source you could try to pull some quotes from his podcast interviews on itunes. He talks to Coach Knight and others on there and I'm sure you can find some nuggets/quotes on leadership.

I'd also suggest finding articles about his olympic experience (especially the tougher years before the actual olympics) and also his early coaching at army.

Thats my .02. For projects like this I think a professor will expect a C effort of just the standard coach k at duke stuff, add some early experiences and olympics adds a bit more and maybe some quotes from the podcasts adds a little more in terms of sources.

Good luck.

Edouble
01-15-2009, 02:22 AM
I'd also recommend trying to find the Charlie Rose interviews of Coach K (on youtube?). Charlie Rose gets some great stuff/info. out of Coach K.

86devils
01-15-2009, 06:47 AM
One of your biggest problems may be information overload. There is a wealth of information out there about Krzyzewski's leadership style, from his own books to the Charlie Rose interviews (great suggestion), to all of the coverage from the Olympics. The Olympics coverage, in particular, would give you a great opportunity to discuss the contingency theories of leadership, since he had to modify his approach somewhat to coach the pros (though to be clear he was unchanged in his overall philosophy of leadership which is likely one reason for his success).

There have been a number of articles over the years in major outlets including the New York Times (searching their archives should yield quite a few articles), the Wall Street Journal (one in 2005 entitled something like Leadership as Layups), one in Time in 2006, and one from a Harvard Business School publication called Working Knowledge that was published in 2006 (I think it was entitled "On Managing with Bobby Knight and Coach K").

You could also look at Coach K's leadership style within the context of the "basketball school of leadership." There have been quite a few basketball coaches who have written books on leadership including John Wooden, Dean Smith, Phil Jackson, & Jim Calhoun. It turns out that basketball is a very useful metaphor for leadership due to the fluidity of the game, interdependence of the players, and resulting need for effective communication (which is the root of leadership).

Good luck with the project.

Mike Corey
01-15-2009, 07:53 AM
Here's an article (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/magazine/05coachk_96_101__116_117_.html)from The New York Times Magazine on Coach K called "Follow Me."

And here's an article from Sports Illustrated on "The Duke Way (http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1113830/index.htm)."

kmspeaks
01-15-2009, 10:33 AM
KM,

What precisely is the assignment? Or rather, what about Coach K will you be asked to report?

If you're looking for K-specific books, the work of Jim Sumner and Barry Jacobs would be more than a little helpful.

Avoid anything and everything "penned" by Gregg Doyel. He doesn't rule.

I'm not real sure what the exact assignment will be. We were asked to pick a leader to study and have a short list of potential sources for next week. I would assume we will be given more details later in the semester. From looking at the syllabus I would guess it would have something to do with K's leadership style and maybe personal characteristics or traits which make him a good leader.

I do know that I have an excellent base from which to start my research. Thank you to all who have made suggestions. I was able to find the Charlie Rose interviews on youtube as well as the articles from the Wall Street Journal and Harvard Business School publication and of course the Olympic coverage is easy to find. Thanks again to everyone for your help. Now here's hoping I don't have to hear too much about last year's NCAA Tournament from all these Mountaineer fans at school :rolleyes:

kmspeaks
03-26-2009, 10:14 PM
I know the game has started so their won't be many people around but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your great ideas for sources on Coach K. I just finished writing the paper and your suggestions were a great help.

Also if there are any west coast posters or insomniacs who might want to take a look at it and return it to me with any suggestions for changes by about 9:00 am eastern tomorrow that would be amazing and very much appreciated.

Thanks again everybody :D

Verga3
03-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Here's an article (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/magazine/05coachk_96_101__116_117_.html)from The New York Times Magazine on Coach K called "Follow Me."

And here's an article from Sports Illustrated on "The Duke Way (http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1113830/index.htm)."

Whoa....The "Follow Me" piece is the one of the best and insightful I've ever seen on the practical dynamics of leadership and team (family).

Thanks for sharing.

kmspeaks
03-26-2009, 11:26 PM
Whoa....The "Follow Me" piece is the one of the best and insightful I've ever seen on the practical dynamics of leadership and team (family).

Thanks for sharing.

Yep it was great and it's heavily quoted in my paper. Amazing stuff :)

-bdbd
03-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Obviously everybody's sad about the end of the season tonight. But I was just watching Game Day on ESPN and the "talking heads" - Digger, Hubert Davis, Dick Vitale - were recapping the game and how Nova beat us. There seemed to be an endless parade of "Duke can't do this..." and "Duke doesn't have that..." Then Hubert Davis - that old Carolina guy kinda took a deep breath and said in effect, "Hey, look, this was not a vintage Duke team. They didn't have a true PG (and the injury to Smith really hurt them in terms of his development this year) and they didn't have an inside game either.....BUT THEY STILL WON 30 GAMES, AND MADE THE SWEET 16. Give coach K credit for doing an incredible job with leading this team." Dickie V chimed in about about how he had an article up on his website to that effect...and he gave more platitudes to K. Digger jumped in too. The host - I can never remember his name - who had thrown out several negatives at Duke already wrapped it up with a "Well, it'll be interesting to see how Duke adjusts their recruiting after this..."

Two thoughts: (1) Hooray for Hubert Davis, he was obviously the most clear-headed, factual analyst on the panel -- its easy to see why he and Jay click so well; but (2) IT WAS GREAT THAT IN THE MIDST OF ONE OF OUR WORST NIGHTS IN A WHILE, EVERYONE UPSET/DISAPPOINTED, THAT THEY COULD STILL RECOGNIZE WHAT A GREAT LEADER COACH K IS. Sometimes we forget that some of K's (and other coahes) best coaching/leading jobs occurs in years where they don't win champioships. Look at where the talent level is versus what they achieve, and some other years come to mind, but this year truly was masterful by Coach. We're lucky to have him.

By the way, a third point to draw from that exchange might be the expectation that K will adjust and adapt. Regardless of whether they're right about what Duke needs to do - the belief in his adaptability is there.

Just my 2-cents...

-BDBD :D

P.S. Now let's got get another PG recruit! ;)