PDA

View Full Version : Jodie Meeks scores 54 vs. Tennessee

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-14-2009, 10:45 AM
I didn't watch the UT UK game last night and apparently missed an amazing shooting performance. Did anyone see this?

15-22 shooting; 10-15 3pt, 14-14 FTs. 54 points.

I don't like Kentucky at all, but wow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3831403&sportCat=ncb

jacone21
01-14-2009, 11:08 AM
I saw it. It was one of those nights where a guy just has it going... an amazing performance that puts him in the NPOY conversation. He was averaging 25 points going in, and has now broken 40 twice, and 50 once. Tennessee left him open a bit more than they should have, but he also hit some highly contested shots. Tennessee made a late run, and then he hit his 46th and 49th points, and the game was over. There were a couple of highlights of fans and TN players just shaking their heads. What can you do?

RainingThrees
01-14-2009, 11:27 AM
I watched mostly because I wanted to see which SEC team would make the top 25 since it had to be either Kentucky or UT. I knew Meeks was good last year when I saw him come off the bench and drain 4 straight threes in about a minute and a half but this last performance was amazing, I don't think Stephen Curry has ever scored that many before.

roywhite
01-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Saw a good part of the second half; very impressive. Meeks also had 8 rebounds and 4 assists, and talked mainly about the team victory.

Gotta give the Wildcats some credit; I thought they were in for a major down season when they got beat at Rupp by VMI. But they have 2 very good players in Meeks and Patrick Patterson, and are playing well together.

They'll be a factor on the national scene before too long, and maybe make some noise this year. Those 'Cat fans will tolerate nothing less.

BlueintheFace
01-14-2009, 12:16 PM
I've been crushed a number of times for saying that Stephen Curry isn't that great/ unique and that a number of players could do what he does with the offensive freedom he has.

Meeks is one of those guys if you ask me... and he does it against better competition.

Meeks =/> Curry

He simply has better shooting numbers than Curry with the ball in his hands a lot less and against better competition.

MChambers
01-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Patrick Patterson only had 8 attempts. Wasn't he promised by the coach he'd get at least 15 shots a game? ;)

moonpie23
01-14-2009, 12:52 PM
what college players have poured in more than 40 over the last couple of years?

BlueintheFace
01-14-2009, 01:32 PM
what college players have poured in more than 40 over the last couple of years?

Just this year... so far... not yet halfway through the season?:

Lester Hudson (Tenn-Martin)
Steph Curry (Davidson)
David Holston (Chicago- State)
Jodie Meeks (Kentucky)
Josh Akognon (Cal State Fullerton)
Ben Woodside (ND State)- with 60pts
Stefon Jackson (UTEP)
James Harden (Arizona St.)

- those are the players among the top 20 in scoring that have done it.

I didn't feel like going back to previous years, because typing out the list would take awhile and prove cumbersome.

rockymtn devil
01-14-2009, 02:46 PM
The most impressive aspect was that, at the start of the second half, UT came out and cut the UK lead to 2, IIRC. Meeks responded, on the road, by scoring something like the next 9 points (including 2 big threes) to put the Cats in control for good. Amazing performance.

shadowfax336
01-14-2009, 03:28 PM
I've been crushed a number of times for saying that Stephen Curry isn't that great/ unique and that a number of players could do what he does with the offensive freedom he has.

Meeks is one of those guys if you ask me... and he does it against better competition.

Meeks =/> Curry

He simply has better shooting numbers than Curry with the ball in his hands a lot less and against better competition.

Curry is the complete focus of the opponents defense every game, Lovedale is an excellent player but doesn't compare to Patterson. I realize Kentucky's talent level is down but you can't leave Meeks teammates wide open the way that we left Davidson players open when we played them.

Against big time competition this season (because so far in the season its not true at all that Meeks has faced better comp.)
Meeks has gone for
19-UNC (#5)
19-@WVU (NR)
10-Miami (NR)
28-@Louisville (#20)
54-@Tenessee (NR)
Those are the 5 best teams UK has played, unless you want to count VMI, Delaware St, Longwood, MVSU, or Tennessee St...
Curry has gone for
44-@Oklahoma (#6)
44-{NC}NC State (NR)
27-{NC}WVU (NR)
13- @Purdue (#19)
29- @Duke (#2)
Those are the 5 best teams that Davidson has played.
Curry also has an established postseason rep that Meeks can't even begin to match.
Prior to December 20th, when Meeks went off for 46 against App State, he had averaged 11.11 ppg through 55 career games. In the 7 games since he's averaged 31.71 ppg. That is what is called a hot streak. Curry's scoring average has gone from 21 a game to 25 a game to 29 a game each of his 3 years, and he's been consistently spectacular when the spotlight has been on. Lets wait and see Meeks continue this for a few more weeks before we get carried away

brevity
01-14-2009, 07:06 PM
an amazing performance that puts him in the NPOY conversation.

Jodie Meeks was in the conversation before this game, at least statistically. His numbers aren't quite as stunning as those of Stephen Curry, but he's comparable to Blake Griffin and Luke Harangody. James Harden also deserves to be in the mix.

Selected stats as of today:

Stephen Curry
28.5 pts (1st), 6.7 ast (8th), 3.1 stl (t-7th)

Blake Griffin
22.4 pts (t-12th), 13.8 reb (1st), .645 FG

Luke Harangody
24.8 pts (5th), 12.7 reb (2nd), .810 FT

James Harden
23.1 pts (11th), 5.8 reb, 4.7 ast

Jodie Meeks
25.9 pts (4th), .444 3PT, .914 FT

Among players in high-profile programs, there's a significant separation between those five and everybody else. (In case you're wondering, Meeks was 5th in scoring before last night.)

I still think the average NPOY award is Griffin's to lose, but Meeks is an interesting development, especially if Kentucky wins the SEC and Davidson doesn't run the Southern table.

dukemomLA
01-15-2009, 01:33 AM
Yes, Jodie scored again and again. BUT IMHO, I was much more impressed with his defense and ability to get the ball to the open shooter. A class act, all the way around.

Kudos. Most offensive scorers don't have the chops or lack-of-ego to do what he did last night.

Wander
01-15-2009, 02:42 AM
Meeks dreams that he could be half as good as Curry.

KenTankerous
01-15-2009, 08:29 AM
I was just grateful to see my wildcats lead on ESPN without the words "violation" or "incident" in the headlines.

Meeks and Patterson will do some damage in the SEC this year, but so would St. Ignatious Eighth Grade Girls. NPOY talk is flattering but seriously, after last years tournament, Curry gets this if he keeps his numbers up and Davidson makes any noise come March.

dynastydefender
01-15-2009, 10:17 PM
HEY KENTANK!!! I was wondering how you were!! I was watching the game on ESPNU and it said....Instant ESPN Classic...I thought I was watching last years UK v UT game, and oh yeah...didn't Duke play Last night? And this is the first time on the board that I get to say this this year!! I HATE UNC!!!

dynastydefender
01-15-2009, 10:20 PM
I didn't watch the UT UK game last night and apparently missed an amazing shooting performance. Did anyone see this?

15-22 shooting; 10-15 3pt, 14-14 FTs. 54 points.

I don't like Kentucky at all, but wow.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=forde_pat&id=3831403&sportCat=ncb

Don't worry...we can't all be perfect...plus we are all bound here by our mutual disdain for powder blue and tar holes. I still don't know what 9 F means. Little Help??

KenTankerous
01-16-2009, 08:31 AM
Don't worry...we can't all be perfect...plus we are all bound here by our mutual disdain for powder blue and tar holes. I still don't know what 9 F means. Little Help??

This should explain the 9f and many, many other wonderful things about DBR:
http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3217

Carlos
01-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Jodie Meeks was in the conversation before this game, at least statistically. His numbers aren't quite as stunning as those of Stephen Curry, but he's comparable to Blake Griffin and Luke Harangody. James Harden also deserves to be in the mix.

Selected stats as of today:

Stephen Curry
28.5 pts (1st), 6.7 ast (8th), 3.1 stl (t-7th)

Blake Griffin
22.4 pts (t-12th), 13.8 reb (1st), .645 FG

Luke Harangody
24.8 pts (5th), 12.7 reb (2nd), .810 FT

James Harden
23.1 pts (11th), 5.8 reb, 4.7 ast

Jodie Meeks
25.9 pts (4th), .444 3PT, .914 FT

Among players in high-profile programs, there's a significant separation between those five and everybody else. (In case you're wondering, Meeks was 5th in scoring before last night.)

I still think the average NPOY award is Griffin's to lose, but Meeks is an interesting development, especially if Kentucky wins the SEC and Davidson doesn't run the Southern table.

I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but this list is beautiful for its notable omission.

Classof06
01-16-2009, 03:09 PM
Meeks dreams that he could be half as good as Curry.

As a pure scorer? Call me crazy, but I don't think Meeks is that far off. Going into the Tennessee game, Curry was averaging 29 and Meeks was averaging 24.2. When you consider the load Curry has to carry, and the corresponding latitude he gets to take as many shots as he wants each game, I don't think Curry has much on Meeks. At all.

I've watched multiple Kentucky games this season and even if you take away the Tennessee game, Jodie Meeks is without question one of the best pure scorers in the country, bar none.

I have great respect for Curry but Meeks is the real deal as well. If Kentucky wins the SEC, Meeks should get some consideration for 1st Team AA.

Atldukie79
01-17-2009, 06:21 PM
I had the pleasure to watch a young Jody Meeks play in Pinto baseball at age 8. I can tell you that he was a dominating athlete at an early age and the only question on anyone's mind was what sport he might play. I can clearly recall him playing shortsop....and 3rd base and left field all at the same time! His coach would move the 3rd baseman and left fielder to the other side of the field. The young Meeks could snatch a grounder from shallow left field and nail the runner at first. Stud from day 1!

brevity
01-17-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm not sure if it was intentional or not, but this list is beautiful for its notable omission.

Thanks. The omission was intentional, but also warranted.

Statistically, Tyler Hansbrough is having a pretty good season, but nowhere near top 5 material. Jeff Teague is putting up better numbers, and deserves ACC Player of the Year if Wake finishes in the standings ahead of Carolina.

FireOgilvie
01-17-2009, 07:09 PM
As a pure scorer? Call me crazy, but I don't think Meeks is that far off. Going into the Tennessee game, Curry was averaging 29 and Meeks was averaging 24.2. When you consider the load Curry has to carry, and the corresponding latitude he gets to take as many shots as he wants each game, I don't think Curry has much on Meeks. At all.

I've watched multiple Kentucky games this season and even if you take away the Tennessee game, Jodie Meeks is without question one of the best pure scorers in the country, bar none.

I have great respect for Curry but Meeks is the real deal as well. If Kentucky wins the SEC, Meeks should get some consideration for 1st Team AA.

Curry is much more deserving of 1st Team All-American.

Meeks is very good... a fantastic scorer. The difference between them to me is the fact that Curry averages 6.6 assists a game (Meeks averages less than 2) and Curry averages 3 steals a game (Meeks - 1.5).

Meeks definitely has the green light to shoot whenever he wants to, much like Stephen Curry. Curry averages 20.3 shots a game, Meeks averages 16.4 (and scores fewer points). Curry and Meeks are shooting roughly the same FG percentage (Meeks' is slightly higher).

Kentucky has much better players than Davidson. Opposing teams have to worry about everyone on the floor, not just Meeks. Teams that play Davidson base their whole defense around stopping Curry.

Also, and most importantly, I don't think Meeks is even the best player on his team. Meeks scores more points, but I think Patrick Patterson is much more important to the team. Patterson averages 18.4 pts, 9.4 rebs, 2.4 assists (0.5 more than Meeks), and only 1.6 TOs (1.2 fewer than Meeks). That's a 1.5 assist to TO ratio... better than all of Duke's starters except Scheyer. He also averages 1.9 blocks and is shooting an incredible 69.4% from the field!