PDA

View Full Version : ACC Roundup 1/14

gw67
01-14-2009, 08:57 AM
The Wake – BC game ought to tell us whether BC was a one-hit wonder or whether they can compete with the big boys of the conference. I expect a competitive game but unless the stars align and the BC perimeter players shoot 24-42 like they did against the Heels, Wake should win. Neither Rice nor Teague puts as much effort into their defense as offense so I expect each to have good games.

At the beginning of the season, many thought that Miami would be the third best team in the ACC. They haven’t played up to that standard as yet although they won on the road at BC. I expect them to easily handle the Terps at home in preparation for their game against the Heels on Saturday.

Of interest, Peter Schmuck of the Sun has an informative and balanced article on the Vasquez situation.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.schmuck14jan14,0,2227036.column

The perception is that Vasquez is a jerk and his episode this past weekend only enforces that perception. I’ve watched him play many times and he loves interacting with the crowds (98% positively). I wonder whether he will be able to stop it altogether.

gw67

just_wondering
01-14-2009, 09:24 AM
GW67,

I don't think that Vasquez is a jerk.

1) I think that you have to be at the ComCast center game after game to understand the situation.
2) I think that you have to understand that fans in the Washington area are different than fans in other ACC markets. Georgetown doesn't sell out for crying out loud.
3) I think that students that attend a school that still has a large commuter population and where the tuition is lower than other ACC schools are different than some other schools in the ACC. I don't think that you can tell the Maryland students to behave a certain way and get as much compliance as you would at other ACC schools.

Gary can't tell the fans to kiss off although he tried to get cute on Saturday and blasted "the people that post on the internet". I have been at games where the student section is half full and Gary tries to suck up to them after the game by telling them they were great.

Maryland fans don't boo so much as they vent. Since last year there have been times when the Maryland offense gets that deer in the headlights look and Vasquez is the only player who will take a shot. Why James Gist and Eric Hayes sometimes disappeared on offense is a mystery but they did. When Greivis would force a shot because nobody else would shoot the venting started. Usually its the "Gary get him out of there" scream. I have heard the venting all year long. The fans were venting when Greivis was on his best behavior. I thought that the fans were ridiculous on Saturday and if I could have told them to bugger off I would have. But what can you do to fans that scream all game for Dave Neal to take a shot and after he misses two in a row scream at him not to shoot? Screaming isn't a reason to be ejected from the arena. And if people scream nonsense is at all possible to reason with them?

The Wake – BC game ought to tell us whether BC was a one-hit wonder or whether they can compete with the big boys of the conference. I expect a competitive game but unless the stars align and the BC perimeter players shoot 24-42 like they did against the Heels, Wake should win. Neither Rice nor Teague puts as much effort into their defense as offense so I expect each to have good games.

At the beginning of the season, many thought that Miami would be the third best team in the ACC. They haven’t played up to that standard as yet although they won on the road at BC. I expect them to easily handle the Terps at home in preparation for their game against the Heels on Saturday.

Of interest, Peter Schmuck of the Sun has an informative and balanced article on the Vasquez situation.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.schmuck14jan14,0,2227036.column

The perception is that Vasquez is a jerk and his episode this past weekend only enforces that perception. I’ve watched him play many times and he loves interacting with the crowds (98% positively). I wonder whether he will be able to stop it altogether.

gw67