PDA

View Full Version : 1st Time to Cameron - This Saturday!!!!

zdn_peanut
01-12-2009, 11:22 PM
So my fiancee hooked up me up with tickets to see Duke/Georgetown this saturday. It's my first time to ever attend a Duke game in Cameron Indoor. Needless to say, I'm super excited. I was wondering if there was anything that was a "must" to see or do while I'm at Cameron/Duke/Durham?

I would definitely appreciate any info.

Thanks,

(btw, im wearing my b. hurley jersey as well.....look for me)

lifelongdevil
01-12-2009, 11:40 PM
hall of fame. walk around to the benches side for a complete view of the banners. take a walk through kville.

Cameron
01-13-2009, 12:01 AM
I was wondering if there was anything that was a "must" to see or do while I'm at Cameron/Duke/Durham?

As I always say, visit Elmo's Diner on Ninth Street in Durham. Best sweet tea and breakfast menu in the world, or at least from the parts of the world I have traveled. While on Ninth, you might also check out The Duck Shop, which has all sorts of Duke paraphernalia.

Also, don't miss the Duke Chapel. It's the South's St. Patrick's Cathedral, wrapped in a warm blanket of green Carolina pines and gothic castles. A can't miss monument.

Most importantly, however, don't take Cameron for granted. Not for a second. It's a one of a kind place.

(On a side note, if you happen to head to Chapel Hill, Top of the Hill is a wonderful, classy bar to have dinner at at night. More so during the summer, however, when the outside deck overlooking the sights and sounds of Franklin Street below is open for eating and mingling.)

Coballs
01-13-2009, 12:14 AM
Dude, you're going to have a great time. Wish I was heading down this weekend.

Since you've never been to Cameron and this game is going to be hyped (highly ranked out of conference rival in Georgetown, national CBS broadcast) I would recommend getting there at least 1.5 hours prior to tip. There's no available parking around Cameron so take a hotel shuttle, cab, or you can park not too far away at the Bryan Center (student center) parking garage. Check out K-Ville, Wallace Wade football stadium, and the new basketball practice facility if you can get in. Bring a few beers if that's your thing and if it's not too early for you. Inside Cameron, check out the Hall of Honor and the adjacent Duke Sports Hall of Fame. You might want to go into the stadium about 1/2 hour before tip for photo ops and to see the Crazies' pre-game antics/rituals.

Other stuff to do in and around campus (non-basketball related): Check out Duke's West Campus (the part with Cameron, Duke Chapel, all the gothic architecture, and the Bryan Center which houses the Duke Store where you can buy a bunch of gear and souveniers). For a post card-quality view, go onto Chapel Drive which leads directly to the Chapel. East Campus is probably not worth your time. For good cheap eats try to go to Bullocks BBQ (deservedly famous, somewhat lengthy wait, closes early so call ahead to check their hours) and Satisfactions (pizzeria with good beers in Brightleaf Square, and in my experience sometimes frequented by the players after the game). If you want to shell out a little more $$, the Angus Barn (located about 15 minutes away near the airport) serves up a great steak.

I have some other suggestions on things to do, but they depend on whether you're bringing your fiance or not ;)

But whatever you end up doing, DO NOT drive 11 miles south on 15-501. You’ll end up in a real hell hole.

UncleBill
01-13-2009, 12:50 AM
...But whatever you end up doing, DO NOT drive 11 miles south on 15-501. You’ll end up in a real hell hole.Our last trip up we locked all the car doors and rolled up the windows, put the air on recirc, and held our breaths as I drove through THAT PLACE, since my wife had never experienced the horror. Our kids are still quite young, they will recover. My eyes began bleeding when we saw a puke-powder blue FIRE TRUCK!

I still have nightmares.

Cameron
01-13-2009, 01:11 AM
I hate the North Carolina Tarheels (I was practically in the first stages of a heart attack during the final minutes of Wake-UNC the other night, praying for a Tyler loss), but Franklin Street can actually be a pretty cool place at night. Not that cool, but certainly more fun/clean than Ninth Street.

Top of The Hill is an excellent restaurant/nightlife bar.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-13-2009, 09:38 AM
So my fiancee hooked up me up with tickets to see Duke/Georgetown this saturday. It's my first time to ever attend a Duke game in Cameron Indoor. Needless to say, I'm super excited. I was wondering if there was anything that was a "must" to see or do while I'm at Cameron/Duke/Durham?

I would definitely appreciate any info.

Thanks,

(btw, im wearing my b. hurley jersey as well.....look for me)

If you arrive on Friday and can get to West Campus before 5P, the carillon concert is worth the effort. It begins at 5P and lasts about 15 minutes. Most Friday concerts close with the playing of "Dear Ole Duke," the alma mater. The selections change daily with the exception of the alma mater on Fridays.

Though we're in the midst of winter, if this is going to be your one visit to the Duke campus, be sure to take at least a brief walk through the Duke Gardens, celebrating the 75th. anniversary this year.

MulletMan
01-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Top of The Hill is an excellent restaurant/nightlife bar.

Dissent! TOH is overpriced, pretentious and thier "beers" are pretty bad.

If you crave local brew, go down the street to The Carolina Brewery. If you crave a good beer selection, go to The Federal on Main St. in Durham. If you crave a HUUUUUGE beer selection, go down to Tyler's in the American Tobacco District near the DBAP.

Wow... I've spent this whole post talking about beer. Who knew?

OK... restaurants: The Federal, Allivea's and Bull McCabe's are all on Main St and serve very good food. If you are in Durham for one night only, you need to go to Bullock's with as many people as you can find and get a family style dinner. Go to Francesca's on 9th street for dessert post-Bullock's and then head out to George's Garage for an after dinner drink / martini. Complete you evening with a night cap on Main St. at The James Joyce or The Federal... right next to each other.

There... now you are all set. No need to go all the way to C.H.

blazindw
01-13-2009, 10:14 AM
Co-sign on everything said here thus far. I would also add Cookout Grill (one located on Hillsborough Rd.) if you want some nice burgers and awesome milkshakes, and definitely Bojangles for great fried chicken, biscuits and sweet tea (also on Hillsborough Rd.)

davekay1971
01-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Try the Complete Duke Freshman Experience in a 24 hour period...

Your itenerary...

12:00am: Arrive at K-ville. Bring a bottle of your favorite hard liquor and some munchies food. This will get you into a tent. Get hammered. And remember, what happens in K-ville, stays in K-ville.
3:00 am: pass out
5:00 am: wake up cold and really, really having to pee
5:05 am: return to tent and pass out again
8:00 am: repeat process, this time with a hangover beginning to set in
9:00 am: fight down the nausea and realize you need fuel for the game. Venture out to get some on-campus breakfast. If you're a real man, take the Duke bus to the East Campus food court. Nothing like riding the Duke Bus with a hangover.
11:00 am: return to tent feeling better. Apologize for whatever you remember doing or think you may have done.
11:05 am: allow fiancee to apply face paint. Apologize for whatever you remember doing or think you may have done.
11:30 am: Enter Cameron. Realize that you are one of the most fortunate people on God's green Earth. Awe at the banners, the tradition, the history.
11:35 am: discuss cheering/jeering possibilities
12:00 pm: start sweating out the toxins.
12:30 pm: decide now if you need to got to the bathroom to get out more toxins.
12:40 pm: Promise yourself you'll not have that last, fatal shot next time.
1:00-3:00 pm: ENJOY
3:00-4:00 pm: Relive it with your new friends. That dunk by G was, indeed, awesome
5:00 pm: Food. Satisfactions sounds good right about now.
7:00 pm: You just had 3 beers with dinner and feel pretty good. Why not? Let's get it rolling again. You'll keep it a little more moderate than you did last night.
8:00 pm: Watch the frat of your choice try to let your fiancee in while keeping you out. Steer carefully to another party option. Get another bottle of your favorite hard liquor if needed...it always makes you more welcome.
10:00 pm: Realize you're not being as moderate as perhaps you thought you would be.
11:00 pm: One hour left...time to go doming.
11:30 pm: You're on the dome...now how do you get into the tunnels again?
12:00 am: Success! You made the tunnels. You're hammered. You put on about 10 pounds in alcohol and junkfood weight. And there are several people who you hope won't remember all the stupid stuff just you did when you catch up in 5 years on Facebook.

All in all, a very successful 24 hour recapitulation of the highlights of freshman year. And don't kick yourself that you didn't manage to work streaking in there. It's a bad idea for a guy at any age...especially on a chilly January night :D

Cavlaw
01-13-2009, 10:24 AM
Dissent! TOH is overpriced, pretentious and thier "beers" are pretty bad.

If you crave local brew, go down the street to The Carolina Brewery. If you crave a good beer selection, go to The Federal on Main St. in Durham. If you crave a HUUUUUGE beer selection, go down to Tyler's in the American Tobacco District near the DBAP.

Wow... I've spent this whole post talking about beer. Who knew?

OK... restaurants: The Federal, Allivea's and Bull McCabe's are all on Main St and serve very good food. If you are in Durham for one night only, you need to go to Bullock's with as many people as you can find and get a family style dinner. Go to Francesca's on 9th street for dessert post-Bullock's and then head out to George's Garage for an after dinner drink / martini. Complete you evening with a night cap on Main St. at The James Joyce or The Federal... right next to each other.

There... now you are all set. No need to go all the way to C.H.
I'm with you. I've never had a good experience at Top of the Hill - terrible service and terrible food. Terrible to the level of uncooked chicken in a pasta dish. I mean, how do you screw that up?

Bluedog
01-13-2009, 10:50 AM
Try the Complete Duke Freshman Experience in a 24 hour period...

Your itenerary...

12:00am: Arrive at K-ville. Bring a bottle of your favorite hard liquor and some munchies food. This will get you into a tent. Get hammered. And remember, what happens in K-ville, stays in K-ville.
3:00 am: pass out
5:00 am: wake up cold and really, really having to pee
5:05 am: return to tent and pass out again
8:00 am: repeat process, this time with a hangover beginning to set in
9:00 am: fight down the nausea and realize you need fuel for the game. Venture out to get some on-campus breakfast. If you're a real man, take the Duke bus to the East Campus food court. Nothing like riding the Duke Bus with a hangover.
11:00 am: return to tent feeling better. Apologize for whatever you remember doing or think you may have done.
11:05 am: allow fiancee to apply face paint. Apologize for whatever you remember doing or think you may have done.
11:30 am: Enter Cameron. Realize that you are one of the most fortunate people on God's green Earth. Awe at the banners, the tradition, the history.
11:35 am: discuss cheering/jeering possibilities
12:00 pm: start sweating out the toxins.
12:30 pm: decide now if you need to got to the bathroom to get out more toxins.
12:40 pm: Promise yourself you'll not have that last, fatal shot next time.
1:00-3:00 pm: ENJOY
3:00-4:00 pm: Relive it with your new friends. That dunk by G was, indeed, awesome
5:00 pm: Food. Satisfactions sounds good right about now.
7:00 pm: You just had 3 beers with dinner and feel pretty good. Why not? Let's get it rolling again. You'll keep it a little more moderate than you did last night.
8:00 pm: Watch the frat of your choice try to let your fiancee in while keeping you out. Steer carefully to another party option. Get another bottle of your favorite hard liquor if needed...it always makes you more welcome.
10:00 pm: Realize you're not being as moderate as perhaps you thought you would be.
11:00 pm: One hour left...time to go doming.
11:30 pm: You're on the dome...now how do you get into the tunnels again?
12:00 am: Success! You made the tunnels. You're hammered. You put on about 10 pounds in alcohol and junkfood weight. And there are several people who you hope won't remember all the stupid stuff just you did when you catch up in 5 years on Facebook.

All in all, a very successful 24 hour recapitulation of the highlights of freshman year. And don't kick yourself that you didn't manage to work streaking in there. It's a bad idea for a guy at any age...especially on a chilly January night :D

Nice recap, but I wouldn't call it "typical" to have a fiancee as a freshman! :eek: Not trying to judge though...But were you trying to use a different word? Food immediately following a game is always a must - I always used every last ounce of my energy during the game and need to refuel.

davekay1971
01-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Nice recap, but I wouldn't call it "typical" to have a fiancee as a freshman! :eek: Not trying to judge though...But were you trying to use a different word? Food immediately following a game is always a must - I always used every last ounce of my energy during the game and need to refuel.

The guy who started the thread said his fiancee got him the tix, so I was personalizing the itenerary to him. There's gotta be a girl involved in any proper K-ville experience, so I figured it had better be his fiancee.

Rich
01-13-2009, 11:17 AM
There's no available parking around Cameron so take a hotel shuttle, cab, or you can park not too far away at the Bryan Center (student center) parking garage.

Is the Bryan Center parking garage open to the public or does it require a student or visitor pass? Is it free or does it cost $ to park there?

bjornolf
01-13-2009, 11:43 AM
Costs money, but it's not TOO bad. I agree, Angus Barn is a must. I think Sue's going to the AB this weekend, or maybe it was last weekend, and is getting a group together. Check out her thread on the Off-Topic board. You guys could join her group. That'd make it all the more fun. Maybe you could get some of the same group to hit Bullocks with you.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-13-2009, 11:56 AM
Is the Bryan Center parking garage open to the public or does it require a student or visitor pass? Is it free or does it cost $ to park there?
This garage is open to the public; there is a fee for parking there. Sometimes non athletic events on campus may fill up the garage. There is also game day parking for around $5. It's a bit of a walk, but you'll not be walking alone!

blazindw
01-13-2009, 11:59 AM
Food immediately following a game is always a must - I always used every last ounce of my energy during the game and need to refuel.

When I was a freshman, after most of the games, BP Powder would be handed out as we were leaving Cameron, which was perfect since I usually had no voice left and a massive headache from yelling my butt off all game. I would take 2 of those packs, go get a half gallon of gatorade, head back to Aycock and just take it all. Then, I'd order the Domino's late-night special (medium 2-topping pizza and 2 cokes for $7.99). Since I did this a lot, pizza for me would arrive no later than 10 minutes after I ordered.

The next morning, OJ and 2 more BP Powders, and my voice was then back.

devilish
01-13-2009, 12:12 PM
When I was a freshman, after most of the games, BP Powder would be handed out as we were leaving Cameron, which was perfect since I usually had no voice left and a massive headache from yelling my butt off all game. I would take 2 of those packs, go get a half gallon of gatorade, head back to Aycock and just take it all. Then, I'd order the Domino's late-night special (medium 2-topping pizza and 2 cokes for $7.99). Since I did this a lot, pizza for me would arrive no later than 10 minutes after I ordered.

The next morning, OJ and 2 more BP Powders, and my voice was then back.

That's a BC Powder (http://www.bcpowder.com/products_original.aspx).

bjornolf
01-13-2009, 12:59 PM
Wow, they didn't hand that out when I was there! Bummer, I could have used it. ;)

Cavlaw
01-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Wow, they didn't hand that out when I was there! Bummer, I could have used it. ;)
Kinda weird that they do now, given the guidelines for aspirin use set forth by most US health authorities. A kid in my high school class died over winter break in our senior year (of HS) from Reyes Syndrome. Probably not an issue for most Duke students, but I was 17 when I arrived as a freshman. Stick with acetaminophen or ibuprofen until at least your 20s.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-13-2009, 01:23 PM
Kinda weird that they do now, given the guidelines for aspirin use set forth by most US health authorities. A kid in my high school class died over winter break in our senior year (of HS) from Reyes Syndrome. Probably not an issue for most Duke students, but I was 17 when I arrived as a freshman. Stick with acetaminophen or ibuprofen until at least your 20s.
In addition, orange juice is also not a good choice for taking any meds, especially those containing aspirin. Another citrus juice which can cause problems is grapefruit juice.... some potentially serious interactions between grapefruit juice and a variety of prescription and OTC medications.

No doubt the BC packs are given out by a sponsor just like the Chick-fil-a stuff.

Cavlaw
01-13-2009, 01:32 PM
No doubt the BC packs are given out by a sponsor just like the Chick-fil-a stuff.

Regardless of who gives it out, I wouldn't want to be the university's lawyer if a kid falls into a coma and dies after downing free sample of aspirin powder.

Bluedog
01-13-2009, 01:53 PM
Kinda weird that they do now, given the guidelines for aspirin use set forth by most US health authorities.

They don't do it now. They did it when blazindw was a freshman, oh, so long ago. ;)

Cavlaw
01-13-2009, 01:55 PM
They don't do it now. They did it when blazindw was a freshman, oh, so long ago. ;)
I think that would have made me a junior. ;)

blazindw
01-13-2009, 01:58 PM

Oh yea, looong ago. It was so long ago, back then I had 2 cell phones with regional phone plans. If my mom or my friends from back home called me, they did so on my cell phone with the Detroit-area cell number so that we could talk for free. When I had to call them, I used my cell phone I got from Duke OIT with the Durham number so that my call to them would be free.

5 year reunion in April!

Wander
01-13-2009, 02:08 PM
Food immediately following a game is always a must - I always used every last ounce of my energy during the game and need to refuel.

Yes. The proper immediate post-game activity is to go to the 'dillo, getting in through the bottom entrance where the new patio is instead of the BC walkway in order to beat the big rush.

geraldsneighbor
01-13-2009, 04:04 PM
I just went to Cameron for my first time last week vs. Davidson. Way more then I ever could have imagined. I stopped by Indoor in the morning to look around and was able to meet the ESPN broadcast team along with Greg Paulus. That was quite the thrill for me since he is a guy I really enjoy seeing play. Couldn't have been a nicer guy either.

I would eat at this new italian place off I-85 across from the Comfort Inn, about 3 minutes from Indoor. Its called Meelo's Restaurant, and is a great spot with a nice staff and great food. It opened about 5 months ago.

Make sure you make time for the hall of fame area, complete with display cases of all the greats, and national championship trophies. Great time, you will definitely enjoy. Cameron is much smaller then it appears on TV but the atmosphere is so great its hard to believe McRoberts and recruits could turn the place down.

Have fun, hopefully the boys from Durham take down Georgetown!

OZZIE4DUKE
01-13-2009, 05:04 PM
I just went to Cameron for my first time last week vs. Davidson. Way more then I ever could have imagined.
Glad you enjoyed your trip! I kept looking over to your section to try to pick you out, but couldn't. Not knowing what you look like didn't help any :rolleyes:.

Cameron
01-13-2009, 07:04 PM
The Carolina Ale House, on Chapel Hill Blvd in Durham is another great sports type bar. Great food and drinks, lots of TV's playing every sporting event on television at that time, and, sometimes, cute waitresses. It's about seven, eight minutes from Indoor.

geraldsneighbor
01-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Glad you enjoyed your trip! I kept looking over to your section to try to pick you out, but couldn't. Not knowing what you look like didn't help any :rolleyes:.

Hopefully next time I get to go to Indoor I will meet many of you. I wasn't sure who to look for. I was in a black Singler jersey if that helps, but I doubt it. What an awesome sporting venue though...I mean seriously.

By the way...the "Our House" video played before Duke takes the floor is sick. Scheyer pounding the floor and saying "our floor" is nasty.