PDA

View Full Version : "DBP Cribs: Jon & G's Apartment"

zingit
01-12-2009, 03:48 PM
A great new Duke Blue Planet video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iRoOKOUDm4

Wow, they have a nice set-up in their apartment! Am I correct in counting THREE large, flat-screen TVs (one in the living room, one in Jon's room, and one in G's room)? In any case, it definitely looks nicer than our K-ville cribs right now!

Also, they must have cleaned up before filming that. I have a hard time believing that an apartment shared by two college boys always looks so immaculate.

Ah, the room temperature debate. I had that argument with my roommate last year.

Cute dog, but it didn't exactly earn Jon any manliness points, haha.

Do the basketball players get special treatment with regards to housing? I'm pretty sure they get first pick for on-campus housing, but that certainly didn't look like a Central Campus apartment, and Duke students are required to live on campus for three years. Did they get special permission to live off-campus or something?

Kyle and Nolan share a room in my dorm--can we get a "Cribs" episode of them next? :D

Bluedog
01-12-2009, 04:00 PM
Do the basketball players get special treatment with regards to housing?

Yes, they get priority.

I'm pretty sure they get first pick for on-campus housing, but that certainly didn't look like a Central Campus apartment, and Duke students are required to live on campus for three years. Did they get special permission to live off-campus or something?

Due to Few renovations this past year, there was a lottery to live off campus for juniors (there is always a lottery for second semester juniors, but this year it was for entire junior year so study abroad people mostly had to live in Few when they got back second semester since renovations were done). Half the people who entered the lottery (people not studying abroad), got permission to live off campus. The other half had to live on campus. I'd assume that basketball players, however, didn't have to enter the lottery and got permission immediately.

Nice vid!

jacone21
01-12-2009, 05:36 PM
G: "We stay fresh."

How 1983! heh

Clipsfan
01-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Given that both players have relatively wealthy families, it's not that surprising that they've got some decent stuff in their apartment. Nothing there looked all that ridiculous. I start to question it when players from other schools and very poor backgrounds have $50k+ in stuff in their apartment and drive expensive cars.

wisteria
01-12-2009, 06:58 PM
They live in a very nice community, where my co-worker also lives. Lance lives there as well. In fact Lance lives next door to my co-worker, and she would sometimes complain about Lance's loud music in the night. :D

Cameron
01-12-2009, 07:34 PM
What's he listening to, wisteria? :D

That was a very funny clip. We have such a great group of players on this year's club. Boy I hope they stay together and come back another season.

The only thing that's disappointing about next season is that Greg will no longer be around. He's an all-time favorite of mine, as pure a Duke player as they come.

trinity92
01-12-2009, 07:44 PM
A great new Duke Blue Planet video: [url]Duke students are required to live on campus for three years.

Is this something new? In my day (ha) people moved off campus whenever they wanted. They might have lost their housing license if/when they moved, so they couldn't go back to the dorms, but among my friends, that wasn't a problem at all after freshman year. There certainly wasn't anything the school could do to tell you where to live.

Has that changed?

geraldsneighbor
01-12-2009, 07:59 PM
Very funny video...big apartment for only 2 guys if that's how it is set up. Not a bad place to live though..good stuff

Diddy
01-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I graduated in ought 1, so maybe the area surrounding campus has changed, but haven't G and J just let the local criminal element know the best place to rob.

Luckily, G and J don't have some sort of easily obtained schedule of when they won't be at home, so that said criminals will not know when they will be away from home at some sort of predetermined, organized, activity.

Cameron
01-12-2009, 09:24 PM
That's a lot of thinking about Jon and Gerald's house being robbed.

Do have something to tell us, Diddy?

;)

wisteria
01-12-2009, 09:31 PM
Very funny video...big apartment for only 2 guys if that's how it is set up. Not a bad place to live though..good stuff

you know... that's a pretty normal apartment (size wise) here in Durham! :D

weezie
01-12-2009, 09:34 PM
....haven't G and J just let the local criminal element know the best place to rob.

Luckily, G and J don't have some sort of easily obtained schedule of when they won't be at home, so that said criminals will not know when they will be away from home at some sort of predetermined, organized, activity.

Geez Diddy, that's what the fierce guard dog is for! duh......

wisteria
01-12-2009, 09:45 PM
And I thought that was Nolan's dog.

http://dukeblueplanet.smugmug.com/keyword/nolan+smith#348121235_B3NGv

Edit: Duh...they are different dogs...

geraldsneighbor
01-12-2009, 09:52 PM
Haha, I thought it was his dog too. Maybe our whole team rolls with lap dogs?

Acymetric
01-12-2009, 09:56 PM

Haha, I thought it was his dog too. Maybe our whole team rolls with lap dogs?

Guys, come on. Cute little lap dogs get chicks "for days," wouldn't surprise me if each of the guys had their own. If you live in a place you can keep one, there's no better way to get random girls, just walk the dog around campus. Though I'd think bball players at Duke would need no help...maybe it helps show some of the smarter girls that the jocks have a sensitive side...

Philadukie
01-12-2009, 10:05 PM
He's an all-time favorite of mine, as pure a Duke player as they come.

I understand this is a fun, good-natured post, and I really don't wish to be randomly contentious, but what does that mean? Why is Paulus a "pure Duke" player? Comments like this really raise the hair on the back of neck when I hear them from fellow Duke fans, because even if you don't mean what many non-Duke fans probably think you mean, it perpetuates what they think you mean.

Can I offer that many different types of players have come through the Duke program and none of them represents a more typical "Duke" player than any other?

geraldsneighbor
01-12-2009, 10:16 PM
I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant by that...if I know where your going. I think we all agree that race doesn't have anything to do with being a pure Duke player.

Paulus is a team first guy, like I'm sure the rest of our team is. He is a guy who stayed 4 years. He has endured endless criticism from fans of both Duke and other people. He is a team leader, and a guy who has been around for some of the dark times as well as some great moments. JJ, Battier, Duhon, etc. all come to mind as guys who are "pure-Duke" players. He's emotional with how he plays like Wojo. All these reasons are why I'll miss Greg like I miss the other guys who I feel demonstrated these traits. I feel like I have been through alot with Greg, and he is a class act and a guy I'm proud to say plays for Duke. This doesn't mean the rest of our team doesn't, or that I like them less, but he really is the last of the JJ team so I feel like I have gone through alot of battles with Greg on our team in recent years.

CLT Devil
01-13-2009, 11:14 AM
I'm pretty sure it wasn't meant by that...if I know where your going. I think we all agree that race doesn't have anything to do with being a pure Duke player.

Paulus is a team first guy, like I'm sure the rest of our team is. He is a guy who stayed 4 years. He has endured endless criticism from fans of both Duke and other people. He is a team leader, and a guy who has been around for some of the dark times as well as some great moments. JJ, Battier, Duhon, etc. all come to mind as guys who are "pure-Duke" players. He's emotional with how he plays like Wojo. All these reasons are why I'll miss Greg like I miss the other guys who I feel demonstrated these traits. I feel like I have been through alot with Greg, and he is a class act and a guy I'm proud to say plays for Duke. This doesn't mean the rest of our team doesn't, or that I like them less, but he really is the last of the JJ team so I feel like I have gone through alot of battles with Greg on our team in recent years.

True Dat! I can't argue that he isn't what Duke embodies...he might not have the greatest talent but that doesnt stop him from being the best he can be. I hate to see players on other teams, such as Brandon Costner on State, who have all the talent in the world but don't do anything with it. Duke, and especially K, are known for getting every last drop out of a player. I'm a huge Paulus fan and could imagine how hard it is to give up a starting job that you've held for 3 years...but he doesnt seem to sulk or lash out at the media or K, that my friend is what Duke Basketball is all about. I feel like Ive been through a lot with Greg too, whether its the ACC Title game against BC or last years game in the 'Dome. He embodies what a Dukie should be.

Ignatius07
01-13-2009, 11:36 AM

I must say, after seeing those two dogs I have less optimism about a Final Four run than I did before. Hopefully somebody like Lance has a Labrador or something.

CameronCrazy'11
01-13-2009, 03:45 PM
I must say, after seeing those two dogs I have less optimism about a Final Four run than I did before. Hopefully somebody like Lance has a Labrador or something.

I saw Lance walking a similar-looking lap dog around campus once, but it could have been Jon's dog.

wisteria
01-13-2009, 05:53 PM
I saw Lance walking a similar-looking lap dog around campus once, but it could have been Jon's dog.

meh...that's probably Lance's dog. Just asked my co-worker (Lance's neighbor) if he has a dog. Said yes, and it's a small cute dog.

SupaDave
01-13-2009, 07:06 PM
A team full of folks over 6' tall and they have a bunch of lapdogs who probably have play dates. This just tickles me so much.

But who keeps all the dogs when the boys are away?!

RainingThrees
01-14-2009, 08:27 AM
A team full of folks over 6' tall and they have a bunch of lapdogs who probably have play dates. This just tickles me so much.

But who keeps all the dogs when the boys are away?!

The girlfriends man.

johnb
01-14-2009, 11:52 AM
To say that Paulus is a typical Duke player because he rises above limited talent seems a bit disingenuous to me. First off, the guy has quite a bit of talent--it's not like I'm out there playing over my head. Second, he seems like a nice enough guy, but, unless you happen to know him, I have no idea what he's like as a person and so would have a hard time assessing him as typical in regards to personality.

I'm not sure that Duke has a lock on squeezing talent out of players. In fact, there are plenty of reasonably objective people who might point out that Duke's former high school All Americans underperform as often as they overperform. In particular, we've had our share of top 10 hs players who never make the NBA, and we've probably had fewer than our share of recruits who were ranked out of the top 50 who went on to start or star for us. Offhand, I can't actually think of anyone--maybe Carrawell.

Bluedog
01-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Second, he seems like a nice enough guy, but, unless you happen to know him, I have no idea what he's like as a person and so would have a hard time assessing him as typical in regards to personality.

I don't know Paulus personally (although he is supposedly one of the smartest basketball players; poli sci is certainly not the easiest major) but I met his dad briefly who seemed incredibly nice...I was in the front row of a game a few years ago by the baseline and this random guy (random to me) came up to me right before tipoff and started asking questions about the students, preparing for b-ball games, tenting, etc. Then he offers me and a couple other people some of his popcorn (which I said "no thanks" to) and he talks about how great Duke seems to him. Then, he introduced himself and shook our hands. "I'm Dave Paulus. My son is on the team. Nice to meet you guys. Enjoy the game!" It was priceless! :D

SupaDave
01-14-2009, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure that Duke has a lock on squeezing talent out of players. In fact, there are plenty of reasonably objective people who might point out that Duke's former high school All Americans underperform as often as they overperform. In particular, we've had our share of top 10 hs players who never make the NBA, and we've probably had fewer than our share of recruits who were ranked out of the top 50 who went on to start or star for us. Offhand, I can't actually think of anyone--maybe Carrawell.

http://www.dahntayjones.com/

Devilsfan
01-14-2009, 12:46 PM
They need to upgrade their trailor parkesk motion upholstery!

geraldsneighbor
01-14-2009, 01:40 PM
I guess you can say that we have some guys in the top 50 recruits who do end up becoming starters for us. Nolan was around 40, and the same for Scheyer. I just don't know how much you can say because someone was ranked high in high school they underperform to unreasonable expectations. Hell, Mcbob was 2, but how much does that mean?

SupaDave
01-14-2009, 03:31 PM
I guess you can say that we have some guys in the top 50 recruits who do end up becoming starters for us. Nolan was around 40, and the same for Scheyer. I just don't know how much you can say because someone was ranked high in high school they underperform to unreasonable expectations. Hell, Mcbob was 2, but how much does that mean?

We've had a LOT of guys in the top 50 become starters. Being in the top 50 is pretty impressive b/c there's still a chance that you are one of the best in high school at your position. Get outside of the top 100 and then we can talk...

geraldsneighbor
01-14-2009, 05:42 PM
I wasn't disagreeing with you. We aren't going to recruit guys out of the top 100 though if we can get the Redicks and Singlers of the world.