PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see Sunday's N&O?

FerryFor50
01-11-2009, 10:14 PM
One of the headlines at the top was "Luck is with the Blue Devils" in regards to the FSU game.

Luck? Really? When did they get lucky that game? When they were up 26? Or when they held off FSU to win by 8?

davekay1971
01-11-2009, 10:28 PM
The N&O could just as well retitle their sports section "The Daily Tarhole - Raleigh Edition"

Acymetric
01-11-2009, 10:36 PM
I saw that and thought about mentioning it earlier. Nice, N&O. I forget what the actual article was titled though. It was rather overshadowed by the article about the Panthers' epic fail last night.

FerryFor50
01-11-2009, 10:37 PM
It was rather overshadowed by the article about the Panthers' epic fail last night.

Rightfully so. They stunk.

Delaware
01-11-2009, 10:41 PM
One of the headlines at the top was "Luck is with the Blue Devils" in regards to the FSU game.

Luck? Really? When did they get lucky that game? When they were up 26? Or when they held off FSU to win by 8?

Read the first two paragraphs of the article... G mentions that his three at the end of the shot clock was "lucky"... they ran with that one little comment of his for the headline.

FerryFor50
01-11-2009, 10:44 PM
Read the first two paragraphs of the article... G mentions that his three at the end of the shot clock was "lucky"... they ran with that one little comment of his for the headline.

Yea, but does the headline really apply to the whole article?

weezie
01-11-2009, 11:35 PM
The N&O is probably thrilled that anybody reads them for anything other than sales on pork shoulders at the Kroger's. Ignore them and the paper will sink into receivership.

I'm sure Coach K will enjoy checking out the local papers tomorrow as they try to make sense of the mess over in Chapel Hill.

BlueintheFace
01-11-2009, 11:37 PM
... a little slap in the face back at K for his comments earlier. Not a fight Duke wants to be in...

GP3NY
01-11-2009, 11:52 PM
and today the title for the unc/wake game is... Wake upsets UNC. Really??? I thought it was #3 vs. #4 in the country! I hate the news&observer.

duketaylor
01-12-2009, 12:49 AM
thanks for the plug for my employer, Kroger;)

Duke, lucky to beat FSU and Davidson I suppose. Blowing big 2nd half leads takes alot of luck. Actually, we didn't have pork shoulders on sale recently, pork loins, yes, but I digress;)

Delaware
01-12-2009, 09:32 AM
Yea, but does the headline really apply to the whole article?

No... that was my point, they took one of probably a dozen comments or quotes from G and happened to usethat one!

blazindw
01-12-2009, 09:43 AM
It doesn't matter what the headlines read on Sunday. Unless they have no journalistic credibility and their bias outweighs reality, when they mention UNC in today's paper, they have to put "0-2, ACC". I'll take it!

jipops
01-12-2009, 10:24 AM
I did read the article and I think this thread is being ridiculously over-sensitive. I do believe/know there is a local media bias against Duke, but contentions such as these demerit that fact.

HaveFunExpectToWin
01-12-2009, 05:18 PM
and today the title for the unc/wake game is... Wake upsets UNC. Really??? I thought it was #3 vs. #4 in the country! I hate the news&observer.

The Wake fans certainly acted like it was an upset. They rushed the court after the win. I know it's against Carolina, but c'mon Wake fans, act like you deserve to be there.

SilkyJ
01-12-2009, 05:34 PM
... a little slap in the face back at K for his comments earlier. Not a fight Duke wants to be in...

Have to agree here. Coach K said he was going to make a concerted effort to be more accessible to the press and I imagined just more friendly in general. While his comments on the local media may have been accurate and perhaps even deserved, I think if he really wanted better local coverage a few private phone calls would have been better than a public slap at them. Not "in the spirit" of what we're trying to do in terms of improving Duke-media relations...

Karl Beem
01-12-2009, 05:56 PM
Have to agree here. Coach K said he was going to make a concerted effort to be more accessible to the press and I imagined just more friendly in general. While his comments on the local media may have been accurate and perhaps even deserved, I think if he really wanted better local coverage a few private phone calls would have been better than a public slap at them. Not "in the spirit" of what we're trying to do in terms of improving Duke-media relations...

Do you think that the next time Duke loses a big game and the local mediots stand up and cheer, Coach K should join in?

weezie
01-12-2009, 09:14 PM
thanks for the plug for my employer, Kroger;)

Duke, lucky to beat FSU and Davidson I suppose. Blowing big 2nd half leads takes alot of luck. Actually, we didn't have pork shoulders on sale recently, pork loins, yes, but I digress;)

Not all all, duketaylor! I love the Krog's, as an old Detroiter! Any time I can go "Krogering," whether for pork loin, shoulder, chops or ribs, or for anything else, I'm there! :)

weezie
01-12-2009, 09:18 PM
Have to agree here. Coach K said he was going to make a concerted effort to be more accessible to the press and I imagined just more friendly in general...

I agree w/K. I, too will endeavor to be more accessible to the press and to definitely be more friendly in general. A noble sentiment, indeed.

Except towards Gary Williams because he sweats too much and it might fly off onto me...eeewwwwww.

Who's with me?!

GP3NY
01-12-2009, 11:08 PM
The Wake fans certainly acted like it was an upset. They rushed the court after the win. I know it's against Carolina, but c'mon Wake fans, act like you deserve to be there.

I completely agree. I wasn't sure what to laugh at more... UNC losing or Wake fans being#4 in the country and rushing the court. Obviously UNC losing is funnier... but, I totally agree with you. They did act like it was an upset!

FerryFor50
01-12-2009, 11:20 PM
I completely agree. I wasn't sure what to laugh at more... UNC losing or Wake fans being#4 in the country and rushing the court. Obviously UNC losing is funnier... but, I totally agree with you. They did act like it was an upset!

I dunno. I think they rushed the court in elation over beating the TarHoles.

blazindw
01-13-2009, 10:20 AM
Not all all, duketaylor! I love the Krog's, as an old Detroiter! Any time I can go "Krogering," whether for pork loin, shoulder, chops or ribs, or for anything else, I'm there! :)

I miss being able to go Krogering. The day Kroger makes it to DMV (DC, MD, VA) is the day I spend $1000 in one visit.

I dunno. I think they rushed the court in elation over beating the TarHoles.

When you beat the so-called "Greatest Team To Ever Lace Up Basketball Shoes", it's an upset even if you're #1

PDDuke85
01-13-2009, 01:55 PM
FWIW:
Newspaper article headlines aren't typically made up by the column writer but rather, some insignificant face in a back room. It's a long season. Too long to be overly sensitive.

Anyone else enjoy seeing Mr. Hansblahblahblah's face on TV every 3 minutes during Sunday's telecast? I do believe, with 5 minutes left in the game, he was caught whispering "Tyler's adopted":)

SilkyJ
01-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Do you think that the next time Duke loses a big game and the local mediots stand up and cheer, Coach K should join in?

No, and I'm sure that I don't know what your point is. Mine is that just b/c the mediots are "being mean" to us, it won't do us any good to just "be mean" back or attack them publicly. We have to be subtle and tactful and sometimes smile at them when we really want to punch them in the face.

Anyone else enjoy seeing Mr. Hansblahblahblah's face on TV every 3 minutes during Sunday's telecast? I do believe, with 5 minutes left in the game, he was caught whispering "Tyler's adopted":)

I knew it! Beeker really is his dad!

Karl Beem
01-13-2009, 03:50 PM
No, and I'm sure that I don't know what your point is. Mine is that just b/c the mediots are "being mean" to us, it won't do us any good to just "be mean" back or attack them publicly. We have to be subtle and tactful and sometimes smile at them when we really want to punch them in the face.

Isn't that what's been done up to now? How's that working out?:rolleyes:

SilkyJ
01-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Isn't that what's been done up to now? How's that working out?:rolleyes:

Its my understanding that the answer to your first question is "no." I believe this new attitude towards the media is a new initiative.

I certainly believe that there is only so much we can really do as people in the area simply tend to favor UNC over Duke, but I do believe we can at least remove some of the hatred of Duke. Its one thing to be biased towards UNC, but these people are biased against and often times simply loathe Duke, and usually without a good reason. Calling people out in public isn't going to help that...