PDA

View Full Version : Coach G's Decision: Recruiting Implications

dockfan
04-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Will this mean incoming recruits Jasmine Thomas, Krystal Thomas, and Karima Christmas reopen their recruitment?

More importantly, does this mean Duke has no chance at signing Elena Delle Donne, arguably the best women's prospect since Candace Parker?

If any recruits change their minds, or Duke loses out on top recruits in the next year, then Duke will drop significantly behind Tennessee, UConn, and (gasp! :eek: ) UNC, who have all gotten big-time commitments for the near future.

Wander
04-03-2007, 05:35 PM
Abby has said that all three of our freshmen next year would come even if Coach G left.

ehdg
04-03-2007, 05:37 PM
As for Thomas, Thomas and Christmas if they signed letters of intent they are bound and committed to Duke. Their only way out is to ask for a release and the school would have to grant othwise they have to still come or sit out a year.

As to Elena Delle Donne that's really up to how she feels about the school, team and who ever the new coach ends up being.

ehdg

duke98
04-03-2007, 06:15 PM
The recruiting situation makes it even more vital that Duke embark on an immediate, high-profile coaching search that aims high. I am thrilled to see the success of Duke alumnae Joanne Boyle and Katie Meier, but I think our program will be seen as "small-time" if we limit our search to these two. I'm not saying we should try to hire Pat Summit away from Tennessee, but we should at least make a run at a high-profile coach such as Andy Landers at Georgia, or even Carolyn Peck (though I still can't forgive her for 1999).

It's too bad about the Pokey Chatman situation at LSU (on many levels)...before the recent events, I would have had her on the top of my list. Depending on the facts of the situation, she may still be on top of my list, although the prolonged silence makes me a little wary.

FireOgilvie
04-03-2007, 06:55 PM
It's too bad about the Pokey Chatman situation at LSU (on many levels)...before the recent events, I would have had her on the top of my list. Depending on the facts of the situation, she may still be on top of my list, although the prolonged silence makes me a little wary.

There is absolutely no way that Duke should hire Pokey Chatman... regardless of the events. Someone that leaves their school in the middle of the season in shame doesn't deserve a job the next year at a major program. If the women's basketball program was desperate for wins then maybe I would be more likely to buy into it... but no. That would be the worst hire Duke could make.

Carolyn Peck is an amazing coach. I would definitely attempt to talk to her. She would definitely win a championship at Duke.

madscavenger
04-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Don't know how high profile you can go. After all, are you going to go after someone you're going to have to pay so much you should have offered it to Gail and not lost maybe the best younger women's coach in America?

grossbus
04-03-2007, 08:28 PM
you can kiss della donna good-bye. she will go to a program she thinks will give her a chance for an NC. that will not be Duke.

what the incoming freshmen said before the announcement is not necessarily how they feel now. trust the AD to screw this up too.

Kewlswim
04-03-2007, 08:56 PM
you can kiss della donna good-bye. she will go to a program she thinks will give her a chance for an NC. that will not be Duke.

what the incoming freshmen said before the announcement is not necessarily how they feel now. trust the AD to screw this up too.

Hi,

Let's say we get Coach Boyle and she has a great start to her season and the kids like playing for her? Maybe she even goes on to a FF or NC. Della Donna may very well want to come to Duke even more. Maybe she will like the new style, etc. of whomever Duke brings in as its new coach.

I am sad too, I wanted Coach G to stay. However, she appears to be leaving. Next play. Next play = getting a good coach and working hard so that next season is a great one.

GO DUKE! BYE BYE COACH G!

dockfan
04-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Hi,

Let's say we get Coach Boyle and she has a great start to her season and the kids like playing for her? Maybe she even goes on to a FF or NC. Della Donna may very well want to come to Duke even more. Maybe she will like the new style, etc. of whomever Duke brings in as its new coach.

I am sad too, I wanted Coach G to stay. However, she appears to be leaving. Next play. Next play = getting a good coach and working hard so that next season is a great one.

GO DUKE! BYE BYE COACH G!

Delle Donne is expected to commit this spring or early summer, and it looks like it will come down to Tennessee and UConn, with Duke likely out now (the smart money is probably on UConn). Duke may also lose Shay Selby, an elite 2008 guard who recently committed to Duke.

grossbus
04-03-2007, 09:42 PM
"Maybe she will like the new style, etc. of whomever Duke brings in as its new coach."

and you think alleva will find someone who will work for him and do this?

chances? slim and none.

Kewlswim
04-03-2007, 09:56 PM
"Maybe she will like the new style, etc. of whomever Duke brings in as its new coach."

and you think alleva will find someone who will work for him and do this?

chances? slim and none.

Hi,

I think Alleva is only one vote among a committee. I believe, for example, he will look at getting Coach Boyle who was on Coach G's staff at Duke. It is not all gloom and doom. As much as I liked Gail, and I really didn't want to see her leave, another coach might do better in terms of bringing a NC. Sometimes a change of scenery is good for everyone. Again, I didn't want to see her go, but she has left. Time to find a replacement. The way these things work it may take two or three years to know how good a replacement we have on our hands. Yes, we might lose some recruits. However, I don't anticipate the new coach sitting on his/her hands. Maybe a kid who wouldn't play for G would come now? Remember, Coach G did have transfers out such as Rometa (is that how it is spelled?) Craig. Brooke Smith left too, but that might have been a different situation, that I believe was somewhat due to homesickness.

GO DUKE!

arnie
04-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Our AD just announced that he will hire a replacement coach that will take the program to greater heights! I assume, this means multiple NCAA championships and all women we recruit will come to Duke. Just think if he did that with his next football coaching hire.

grossbus
04-03-2007, 10:22 PM
"Our AD just announced that he will hire a replacement coach that will take the program to greater heights! I assume, this means multiple NCAA championships and all women we recruit will come to Duke. Just think if he did that with his next football coaching hire."

what makes you think he can do it with this hire. besides, what he said was he was going to hire someone who "wants" to take us to greather heights, not someone who "will" take us to greater heights.

adam
04-05-2007, 06:18 PM
The good news is that the women's basketball team is remaining together and the in-coming recruits are still headed to Durham, even without a having a head coach. The Duke Chronicle story can be found here... http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2007/04/05/News/Players.Respond.To.Gs.Departure-2825531.shtml

b&l
04-05-2007, 10:51 PM
"Sit down, Brenda" Frese has a national championship to wave in front of recruits, plus a lot of youthful passion and energy. She could convince them and their mentors, e.g. parents and h.s. coaches, that she's building the next Duke basketball dynasty. And who can dispute that she has more devil in her than terrapin. She projects the energy of a seamless transition without missing a beat with Duke women contending again next year for a national championship. She's cut down the championship nets before. No diamond in the rough or wishing and hoping. Let's get on with it, Mr. AD Joe. The future's waiting!

b&l
04-06-2007, 07:20 AM
We've always considered Duke not only a world class school but international in its outreach. While true academically, it's hard to make the same claim in Duke basketball. In recent years one men's player from Lithuania, a couple brief flashes from Africa (Deng, Boatang) and one Aussie on the women's side. Anyone who follows the NBA knows how outstanding international basketball has become. Even Coach K couldn't bring back the WC in basketball. That's how good the talent is out there. The point? Why not bring in a couple freshmen recruits each year from overseas? Instead of relying solely on how many McDonald's All-Americans or top 25 recruits are in the incoming class. In most cases incoming international players would be quite appreciative of what a Duke education means, and in many cases they would be less spoiled and more hungry. We're talking not only Europe but also Asia, Africa and Latin America. What a big talent pool to pick from. Could be a way to assure that Duke women's basketball is a perennial Final Four team. Just a further thought on how to keep our beloved Duke women's team one we love to come to Cameron to watch.
b&l