PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke 68, Maryland 65

CameronBornAndBred
01-11-2009, 01:39 PM
Monday night we get another big test on where this team was at. They weathered a better ranked team in Stanford, but I expect this game to be just as hard fought if not more so. Wish I could be there, but I'll have my eyes glued to the TV. I think if our offense is not working, and our turnovers are high Maryland is going to make us pay dearly to the point we lose by a lot. They are a good shooting team, and even with our top notch defense we can't give them an edge by not holding our own when we have the ball. I hope Cameron is packed to the Crow's Nest. GO DUKE!

merry
01-11-2009, 01:45 PM
Monday night we get another big test on where this team was at. They weathered a better ranked team in Stanford, but I expect this game to be just as hard fought if not more so. Wish I could be there, but I'll have my eyes glued to the TV. I think if our offense is not working, and our turnovers are high Maryland is going to make us pay dearly to the point we lose by a lot. They are a good shooting team, and even with our top notch defense we can't give them an edge by not holding our own when we have the ball. I hope Cameron is packed to the Crow's Nest. GO DUKE!

I'm hopeful for a good crowd tomorrow night too. There was a much better crowd against Miami than I expected based on early season attendance so I am thinking a lot of people have perhaps been waiting for the ACC season.

Ders24
01-11-2009, 02:09 PM
There should be a good student turn-out for this one. Go Duke

wandalee
01-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I sure hope the students show up! Their attendance at the games so far has been pitiful! We could really use their cheers on Monday night. There was a good crowd at the Miami game on Friday, but, with no students in attendence, there was little organized cheering.

DukePA
01-11-2009, 07:32 PM
Spear the Turtle!

Ders24
01-11-2009, 07:35 PM
I sure hope the students show up! Their attendance at the games so far has been pitiful! We could really use their cheers on Monday night. There was a good crowd at the Miami game on Friday, but, with no students in attendence, there was little organized cheering.

Completely agree -- we're trying very hard to increase student attendance!

merry
01-11-2009, 08:41 PM
... there was little organized cheering.

I read this post to my husband and he said "Hey, I'm not little!"

He is one of the people standing in the back row of the bleachers behind the bench. I sometimes stand with them but usually sit across from them in the first row upstairs (in Crazy Towel Guy's row).

It would be great to see a big crowd of all types of fans for this game. I remember two years ago Coach G commenting something to the effect that the sold out Maryland game, while not the first sellout by a long shot, was the first one where they felt the entire arena was cheering hard for the Duke team (as opposed to fans of opponents or people just there to see "the big game", I assume she meant).

DukePA
01-11-2009, 11:06 PM
I read this post to my husband and he said "Hey, I'm not little!"

He is one of the people standing in the back row of the bleachers behind the bench. I sometimes stand with them but usually sit across from them in the first row upstairs (in Crazy Towel Guy's row).

It would be great to see a big crowd of all types of fans for this game. I remember two years ago Coach G commenting something to the effect that the sold out Maryland game, while not the first sellout by a long shot, was the first one where they felt the entire arena was cheering hard for the Duke team (as opposed to fans of opponents or people just there to see "the big game", I assume she meant).

I was at that game as a student. What fun!!! I still have my tee shirt from that one. Go Duke!!

gw67
01-12-2009, 08:03 AM
I rarely watch women's basketball but tonight's game sounds like it will be very competitive. For interest, the Post had an article on the Terps JC transfer, Dee Liles, who apparently is a very good leaper.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/11/AR2009011102036.html

gw67

gadzooks
01-12-2009, 02:54 PM
I liked what I saw in the Stanford game, and what I've been hearing about the others, so I'm hopeful tonight will be a great game. Maryland definitely has the ability to give us a very hard time, so be on your toes tonight, ladies! GO BLUE DEVILS!

bird
01-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Toliver is flat-out good. Can Duke's vaunted pressing defense work against a scoring point guard of this caliber?

CameronBornAndBred
01-12-2009, 04:33 PM
I would love to see us shut down Toliver in her last Cameron outing, our defense will be tough for her. Just found out that I have a family event scheduled for 7 at the kids' school, grrr, so I will miss at least the first half. Stupid school.

bird
01-12-2009, 04:37 PM
I would love to see us shut down Toliver in her last Cameron outing, our defense will be tough for her. Just found out that I have a family event scheduled for 7 at the kids' school, grrr, so I will miss at least the first half. Stupid school.

I'll be a political fund raiser. Stupid politics.

CameronBornAndBred
01-12-2009, 08:00 PM
Watching now...we miss soooo amny close shots and uncontested layups. Our shooting is atrocious.

CameronBornAndBred
01-12-2009, 08:15 PM
Watching now...we miss soooo amny close shots and uncontested layups. Our shooting is atrocious.
After I said that it improved a bit, including two bombers from Abby, she is playing well.

juise
01-12-2009, 08:21 PM
40-29 Duke leads at half, says ESPN.

Duvall
01-12-2009, 08:58 PM
Coaching matters.

wisteria
01-12-2009, 09:38 PM
I only got to see the second half, and I thought it was quite ugly. But a win against the Terps is always great!

miramar
01-12-2009, 09:58 PM
The 34.2% shooting percentage was ugly, even worse than Maryland's 38.6%. But on the positive side, Duke outrebounded Maryland 54-37 and went 12-14 from the free throw line compared to only 2-6. Thomas was really impressive in the final minute.

Abby was absolutely hammered by two different players on the next to last inbounds, and we were fortunate that they knocked the ball out of bounds. I know that the refs don't like to decide games, but that tag team was a bit much.

Finally, based on the double-blow off handshake, there doesn't seem to be too much love lost between the two coaches, although the players seem to get along. All I can say is that if I were Coach P I wouldn't want to touch Brenda Frese either.

LetItBD08
01-12-2009, 10:25 PM
Here's a post game quote for you:

"It's a little too early in the season to break the Dukies' hearts," Toliver said with a smile.

http://www.victoriaadvocate.com/news/nationworld/story/391633.html

I'm still trying to figure out if this upsets me or amuses me since she stuggled mightily tonight.

dukelifer
01-12-2009, 10:26 PM
The 34.2% shooting percentage was ugly, even worse than Maryland's 38.6%. But on the positive side, Duke outrebounded Maryland 54-37 and went 12-14 from the free throw line compared to only 2-6. Thomas was really impressive in the final minute.

Abby was absolutely hammered by two different players on the next to last inbounds, and we were fortunate that they knocked the ball out of bounds. I know that the refs don't like to decide games, but that tag team was a bit much.

Finally, based on the double-blow off handshake, there doesn't seem to be too much love lost between the two coaches, although the players seem to get along. All I can say is that if I were Coach P I wouldn't want to touch Brenda Frese either.

This team has winning ugly down to a science. But winning is winning. The team is clutch when it needs to be.

RainingThrees
01-12-2009, 10:32 PM
Personally I would love to blow out the terps by 20, but any win against them gives me a warm feeling inside.

killerleft
01-12-2009, 11:03 PM

"It's a little too early in the season to break the Dukies' hearts," Toliver said with a smile.

I'm still trying to figure out if this upsets me or amuses me since she stuggled mightily tonight.

It's evidently late enough in the season for a jerk like Toliver to rationalize away a bitter loss. But she's real classy, I'll give her that.

burnspbesq
01-13-2009, 12:22 AM
Per the box score, Duke had 26 offensive rebounds - and only 15 second-chance points. Maryland should never have been in position to win.

burnspbesq
01-13-2009, 12:28 AM
In the last 90 seconds, on key possessions, Duke and Maryland ran exactly the same play, on which a player passes into the high post and then runs off a screen at the elbow.

When Duke ran it, Coleman got rubbed off, and Maryland didn't switch. Abby went to the basket and Chante found her for an uncontested layup.

When Maryland ran it, Abby got rubbed off and Tolliver flared to the three-point line instead of cutting to the basket. However, Duke switched, and Christmas was there to heavily contest Tolliver's shot, which rimmed out.

Not exactly ballgame, but hugely important.

gadzooks
01-13-2009, 12:29 AM

I'm still trying to figure out if this upsets me or amuses me since she stuggled mightily tonight.So they lost on purpose because they're just such nice gals? Shucks.

Per the box score, Duke had 26 offensive rebounds - and only 15 second-chance points. Maryland should never have been in position to win.That had me hollering at the television, "Get it in on the first shot! ARRRRRRGHHH!" Especially the one near the end where they went up FIVE times and still didn't score. Gotta do better than that.

watzone
01-13-2009, 01:30 AM
Tolliver indeed talked a little smack at the post game press conference. It was a big win for Coach P and the program. Her are a few pics and an article -
http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1591

Thomas was a 50 percent FT shooter, yet hit 6 of 7 for the game and 4 of 4 in the last 8 seconds which is impressive.

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2009, 07:51 AM
Per the box score, Duke had 26 offensive rebounds - and only 15 second-chance points. Maryland should never have been in position to win.
A lot of those offensive rebounds came on repeated misses under the baskets. One series we had 5 or 6 shots in a row miss, luckily we got all the rebounds, except for the last one. So we missed 5 times from 2 feet away and came away without a point. That's what drives me nuts.

P.S. Looks like it drove Gadzooks nuts too, glad I'm not the only one!

CameronBornAndBred
01-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Tolliver indeed talked a little smack at the post game press conference. It was a big win for Coach P and the program. Her are a few pics and an article -

Thomas was a 50 percent FT shooter, yet hit 6 of 7 for the game and 4 of 4 in the last 8 seconds which is impressive.
More than impressive, she saved the win. Excellent poise under pressure.

bird
01-13-2009, 09:00 AM
Saw a lot of smarts, heart, energy and toughness from Duke in an important game that went a ways to quieting questions about Coach P, but man, was the offense hard to watch at times.

jv001
01-13-2009, 09:23 AM

Mark what should we expect, she plays for the twerps. Nothing good comes out of Maryland but I-95. Go Duke!

pbc2
01-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Poor turnout.

Fan turnout was disappointing. Those of us who were there supported the team well, but there were many empty seats and a very large Terp turnout.

Tolliver's quote is fine by me - she wasn't trying to miss that 3 and she knows it.

A hard-fought win, but obviously lots of room for improvement, both on the court and in the stands.

MHTorringjan
01-13-2009, 10:17 AM
Fan turnout was disappointing. Those of us who were there supported the team well, but there were many empty seats and a very large Terp turnout.

There's always a big Twerp turnout, it was actually smaller than it has been in the past, likely since they're ONLY ranked 12th and playing inconsistently on the road.

I was pleased that the student turnout was higher than it's been at the past games, but it should have been higher. They're out on the freaking lawn, and I think they get immunity from tent checks while they're in the women's game (with a check-in at half-time or something). And free pizza, for Pete's sake! How does a college student turn down free pizza!

As for the game, we played well aside from the missed shots under the basket. It's good that Langhorne graduated, she would have eaten us alive. I don't know how we're going to play later in the season against them, since at least one player will be back from illness. Our defense was good, it was a shame that we didn't get more transition opportunities (not that I expected them against UMD). Defense on Tolliver was good in the first half, it's just hard to hold a shooter like her down for long. I thought Abby played really well in the first half, looking for her shot and finding it, but losing it again in the second. Joy was amazing in the first half, and Chante ate them alive on the boards (but it felt like she wasn't being assertive against them when it came to shooting).

Anyway, really good game. Not any better than any other win, mind you, since they're not our rivals in the first place, but still pretty enjoyable.

TillyGalore
01-13-2009, 03:20 PM
There's always a big Twerp turnout, it was actually smaller than it has been in the past, likely since they're ONLY ranked 12th and playing inconsistently on the road.

I was pleased that the student turnout was higher than it's been at the past games, but it should have been higher. They're out on the freaking lawn, and I think they get immunity from tent checks while they're in the women's game (with a check-in at half-time or something). And free pizza, for Pete's sake! How does a college student turn down free pizza!

As for the game, we played well aside from the missed shots under the basket. It's good that Langhorne graduated, she would have eaten us alive. I don't know how we're going to play later in the season against them, since at least one player will be back from illness. Our defense was good, it was a shame that we didn't get more transition opportunities (not that I expected them against UMD). Defense on Tolliver was good in the first half, it's just hard to hold a shooter like her down for long. I thought Abby played really well in the first half, looking for her shot and finding it, but losing it again in the second. Joy was amazing in the first half, and Chante ate them alive on the boards (but it felt like she wasn't being assertive against them when it came to shooting).

Anyway, really good game. Not any better than any other win, mind you, since they're not our rivals in the first place, but still pretty enjoyable.

I was sitting in the student section and could not figure out for the life of me why a boy and a girl were both on their laptops instead of watching the game (I was nosy and occasionally looked over to see what they were working on and the girl was sending emails and hanging out on facebook and the boy kept jumping around on projects, one of them may have been school related. I really wanted to confiscate a laptop and post on DBR, but figured I'd get in trouble.)? If they were trying to escape the cold, it sure would have been nice if they had been either somewhere else in Cameron, or closer to the end of the bleachers instead of right in the middle of them.

I didn't think there was a big twerp turnout, until they started chanting defense, then we had to step up our Duke chants to drown them out.

camion
01-13-2009, 03:31 PM

On one play in the second half Duke had four offensive rebounds and failed to score. Bad for the shooting percentage; good for the rebound stats.

4decadedukie
01-14-2009, 11:06 AM
I watched the game in its entirety, despite Louisville/Notre Dame. This was a quality win, one based on tenacity, defense and end-game foul shooting, and one in which the WBB team should take real pride.