PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Florida State

Jumbo
01-10-2009, 04:28 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Florida State?

Bob Green
01-10-2009, 04:31 PM
Gerald Henderson was the man today. He single-handedly kept us in the game in the first half and made some key baskets in the second half when FSU tried to mount a comeback.

Gerald showed us today why we were so excited about him all summer.

VaDukie
01-10-2009, 04:33 PM
This one should be unanimous. G got it done today.

pamtar
01-10-2009, 04:34 PM
I voted for G but I really liked Dave's play today. He did all the dirty work. In my opinion that is just as important as scoring 30.

I had to give the nod to G because of his recent slump. Any other game and I would have picked Dave.

Faison1
01-10-2009, 04:34 PM
Without a doubt, G!! Way to go, man!! Very happy for you! Not only did you look awesome, but you looked like you were having fun in a very intense game. Many props from the announcing crew as well. Keep it up!

camion
01-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Florida State?

Rheotorical question, yes?

wallyman
01-10-2009, 04:39 PM
if it's not unanimous this time, it never will be.

chrishoke
01-10-2009, 04:42 PM
I voted for G but I really liked Dave's play today. He did all the dirty work. In my opinion that is just as important as scoring 30.

I had to give the nod to G because of his recent slump. Any other game and I would have picked Dave.

Dave was very weak with the ball in the first half - very solid in the 2nd.

Hendo has his best game as a Dukie.:)

DukeCO2009
01-10-2009, 04:44 PM

Dave was really, really weak with the ball in the first half. Gotta go with Gerald. It's not even a question.

bird
01-10-2009, 04:46 PM
I was terribly impressed that his performance came in a game of a weird and sometimes physical style that could have very well have thrown him off his stride absent a real degree of mental toughness.

Carlos
01-10-2009, 04:49 PM

Actually, far from slumping, G's been coming on strong. Coming into the game he's been averaging 15 ppg and was shooting 50% from the field.

jpfrizzle
01-10-2009, 04:52 PM
G all the way for this game!!

OZZIE4DUKE
01-10-2009, 04:55 PM
My vote made it 41 - 0

ArkieDukie
01-10-2009, 05:07 PM
Can it be anyone but Gerald Henderson?

grossbus
01-10-2009, 05:10 PM
who voted for williams? a slip of the mouse?

weezie
01-10-2009, 05:14 PM
My vote made it 41 - 0

Now 55-0.

G was Kobe-esque today. Wow!

devildeac
01-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Easy one for me with Gerald.

tbyers11
01-10-2009, 05:16 PM
if it's not unanimous this time, it never will be.

I think like the Baseball Hall of Fame voting, we will never have a unanimous MOTM :D

Madrasdukie
01-10-2009, 05:27 PM
This was easy.

mgtr
01-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Oh gee, it must be G!

CathyCA
01-10-2009, 05:45 PM
Gerald.

Lavabe
01-10-2009, 05:49 PM
How high can G jump?:eek::eek:

Just wow!:eek:

Saratoga2
01-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Some games are close but Gerald was by far the MOTM today

Cameron
01-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Gerald was obviously the man of the match. However, I'm giving mad props to Greg for his intensity on that held ball play midway through the first half, when that FSU class act thought it was necessary to prove how big he was.

I'm also giving Greg props because I think he deserves more support and playing time. It's getting far past ridiculous. He was our team's MVP last season. No doubt about it, in my eyes. The best shooter in America.

And what has he been reduced to?

dukeballer2294
01-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Is there any question? Hendo gets my vote

JDev
01-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Easiest vote of the year thus far.

FireOgilvie
01-10-2009, 06:45 PM
I'm also giving Greg props because I think he deserves more support and playing time. It's getting far past ridiculous. He was our team's MVP last season. No doubt about it, in my eyes. The best shooter in America.

Greg has been injured. His shooting is really off. He looks bad on both offense and defense this year, especially compared to our other options. Zoubek and Thomas are averaging more points than him. He has 3 points in 2 ACC games. It's not like he hasn't been given a chance. As soon as he starts playing like he deserves more minutes, I guarantee you he will get more. When he's on, he provides critical ballhandling and 3 point shooting that we could definitely use. He has yet to provide those this year. Coach K isn't trying to throw his senior under the bus.

G for MOTM.

ncexnyc
01-10-2009, 09:29 PM
G was awesome! He even had a great finger role where he went LEFT!

ice-9
01-10-2009, 09:53 PM
Gerald was obviously the man of the match. However, I'm giving mad props to Greg for his intensity on that held ball play midway through the first half, when that FSU class act thought it was necessary to prove how big he was.

Playing time is earned in practice - GP must not be playing well in practice (and not just games) for his minutes to be so reduced. I suspect it's a combination of confidence and injuries.

WojoSay?
01-10-2009, 11:17 PM
Simply Amazing!

soccerstud2210
01-11-2009, 12:31 AM
now if we can just get him to play like that the rest of the year... hopefully this was the break out game he was needing! great game G and team!

Edouble
01-11-2009, 02:45 AM

This was probably one of the toughest games for Paulus to get PT in this year b/c of FSU's height and athleticism. Look how many minutes E Williams got!

This was Henderson's best game at Duke.

arnie
01-11-2009, 08:32 AM

So if Paulus gets substantially more PT, which player do you think should sit more? I'm hoping E-Will plays even more as the season progresses, so barring an injury to Smith or Scheyer, not sure where Greg's minutes come from.

Incidentally, Bilas used the term Man of the Match yesterday - don't normally hear that term on broadcasts, so he must be a reader.

dukelifer
01-11-2009, 08:56 AM
G was the reason Duke won but McClure deserves some love for leading the team in rebounds.

captmojo
01-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Henderson. His defense was also quite stellar.

Incidentally, Bilas used the term Man of the Match yesterday - don't normally hear that term on broadcasts, so he must be a reader.

Son of and I noticed this as well. Might it have been a signal?

DukeCO2009
01-11-2009, 12:36 PM
The Common Sense Police demands an explanation from the Lance and Elliot voters. I love the guys, but come on--no doubt the MotM was G.

RainingThrees
01-11-2009, 02:23 PM
That alley-oop was just as good as the Hurley-to-Hill in the Kansas game.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-11-2009, 03:26 PM
The Common Sense Police demands an explanation from the Lance and Elliot voters. I love the guys, but come on--no doubt the MotM was G.
ForeverBlowingBubbles - what on Earth are you thinking of giving E-Will a second vote? So yes, an explanation is warranted :)

Jarhead
01-11-2009, 04:07 PM
That alley-oop was just as good as the Hurley-to-Hill in the Kansas game.
That one was a good example of Grant Hill saving Hurley from a turnover. That pass was headed for the bleachers, but for Hill's athleticism. Hendo keeps reminding me of him.

jv001
01-11-2009, 10:43 PM
Gerald Man o Match. This is the first game that I did not have to think twice about my vote. Gerald is really coming on at the right time. Go Duke!

Magnolia888
01-12-2009, 02:06 PM
Easiest decision for MOTM ever. How is it not unanimous again?

Troublemaker
01-12-2009, 02:32 PM
A great shooting night from G. However, I didn't get the sense that he did anything offensively that was going to be repeatable on a consistent basis. He basically was in a rhythm or "in a zone" and therefore was able to make a bunch of tough pull-ups and threes, but on his few forays closer to the basket, he missed. While it's possible that all of a sudden, Gerald will start making pull-up jumpers consistently, it's more likely that he just had a hot night shooting and will need to continue developing that handle and ability to make challenged layups and floaters close to the basket. Furthermore, Duke can't be counting on G to bail them out against tough defenses by creating 1-on-1 and making tough pull-up jumpers. What happens when he's not hot? We have to get better on offense and we can with continued improvement from Nolan, Z, Greg and Gerald.

juise
01-12-2009, 02:43 PM
Easiest decision for MOTM ever. How is it not unanimous again?

Sampling error. ;)

jv001
01-12-2009, 02:48 PM
I guess the Williams' votes came from those who want E-Will to get more playing time. Same logic in MOTM voting. Go Duke!