PDA

View Full Version : One for the media...

SupaDave
01-09-2009, 12:07 PM
In light of our challenges with the media I thought of something that is misleading sportscasters and writers all over the nation.

As the current #2 team in the nation, I'm wondering how long it will be before Lance and Zoubs start getting some props?

Surely, some savvy ESPN writer has to realize by now that we're outrebounding teams, blocking shots, and giving out low shooting percentages...

What do you think has to be done? I mean - do we need Zoubs to break the backboard or what?

jimsumner
01-09-2009, 01:12 PM
"do we need Zoubs to break the backboard or what?"

Well, he has to be able to reach it first.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

I think much of the national media has convinced itself that Duke is an undersized team that lives and dies by the 3. And parroting that story line is so much easier than actually noticing what's going on now

BlueintheFace
01-09-2009, 01:25 PM

Ba-dum Chh

....nice

FireOgilvie
01-09-2009, 03:04 PM
I heard someone on ESPN talking about how Zoubek and Scheyer were the two most improved players for Duke. He said that Zoubek has really impressed him this year. As far as Scheyer goes, he was always good... no one in the media seemed to noticed.

slower
01-09-2009, 03:51 PM
"do we need Zoubs to break the backboard or what?"

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

I think much of the national media has convinced itself that Duke is an undersized team that lives and dies by the 3. And parroting that story line is so much easier than actually noticing what's going on now

Unfortunately, media of every stripe are comprised mostly of parrots. Sad but true. But in a country that seems to subsist on "reality" programming, can't see it ever getting much better.

dukefanSD
01-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Reading these posts made me realize that I really don't know what information the broadcasters in the booth have. I know they have those media guides and guys like Len Elmore do enough Duke games that they should be familiar enough with the team to speak with first hand knowlege, but what about people like Van Gundy? Do they do a lot of their own prep, watch game tapes etc., or are they just given a list of talking points?
Thanks

CameronCrazy'11
01-09-2009, 05:18 PM
I always laugh when the announcers say that Duke lives and dies by the three. They obviously haven't updated their talking points from last year. We take 32.7% of our FGA's from 3, which is lower than the DIV I average.

MChambers
01-09-2009, 05:27 PM
I always laugh when the announcers say that Duke lives and dies by the three. They obviously haven't updated their talking points from last year. We take 32.7% of our FGA's from 3, which is lower than the DIV I average.

Duke gets gets 23.4% of its scoring from 3, which ranks 268th in Division 1.

http://kenpom.com/pointdist.php?y=2009&s=7

mapei
01-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Duke gets gets 23.4% of its scoring from 3, which ranks 268th in Division 1.

http://kenpom.com/pointdist.php?y=2009&s=7

Still troubling that we get only 23% of our scoring from 33% of our attempts! And I think the comment about living and dying by the 3 was a fair characterization of our style in the recent past, if less true this year.

jimsumner
01-09-2009, 05:53 PM
33% of Duke's field-goal attempts are 3s.

23% of the points come from 3s.

But that doesn't mean that the other 77% come from 2s. Don't forget those freebies. Changes the equation quite a bit.

DukieInKansas
01-09-2009, 05:54 PM
33% of Duke's field-goal attempts are 3s.

23% of the points come from 3s.

But that doesn't mean that the other 77% come from 2s. Don't forget those freebies. Changes the equation quite a bit.

And we get a lot of those freebies because we get all the calls! :D