PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. Davidson

Jumbo
01-09-2009, 01:38 AM
This was one of those games where the stats really matched observable trends. The starters continue to play well together. We saw just how much of a difference it makes to have Scheyer and Singler on the bench together, as Davidson went on a quick 7-0 run. The bench -- yikes! Thomas, McClure and Paulus are all veterans and they have to play better. I actually thought Williams did a solid job filling in for Henderson in the first half, when G was on the bench with foul trouble, and I was glad to see the numbers support that contention, too. And, once again, Zoubek continues to post ridiculous plus/minus numbers. As others have said, I think a big part of that is the fact that he plays almost exclusively with the other starters. Still, the difference between Duke's performance with and without Brian on the court is becoming stark. It will be interesting to see if he can be as effective if his minutes increase. It was interesting to see him on the floor with Lance a little bit, which we really haven't seen since early in the season. Anyway, on to the numbers ...

Individuals
Brian Zoubek 43-19 (+24)
Jon Scheyer 76-57 (+19)
Kyle Singler 73-55 (+18)
Nolan Smith 61-52 (+9)
Elliot Williams 13-4 (+9)
Gerald Henderson 48-45 (+3)
Greg Paulus 28-30 (-2)
Dave McClure 23-30 (-7)
Lance Thomas 30-43 (-13)

Per 40 Minutes
Elliot Williams +72
Brian Zoubek +56.5
Jon Scheyer +21.1
Kyle Singler +20
Nolan Smith +11.3
Gerald Henderson +4.8
Greg Paulus -5.3
Dave McClure -20
Lance Thomas -37.1

Lineups
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek (x3) 29-12 (+17)t
Smith-Scheyer-Williams-Singler-Zoubek 6-0 (+6)
Paulus-Scheyer-Williams-Singler-Thomas 4-2 (+2)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler 2-0 (+2)
Paulus-Scheyer-McClure-Singler-Thomas (x2) 9-8 (+1)
Smith-Scheyer-Williams-Singler-Thomas 3-2 (+1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler 1-0 (+1)
Paulus-Scheyer-McClure-Thomas-Zoubek 1-0 (+1)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-Singler-Zoubek 4-4 (0)
Paulus-Henderson-McClure-Thomas-Zoubek 3-3 (0)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-McClure-Singler 2-2 (0)
Paulus-Smith-Scheyer-McClure-Thomas 2-2 (0)
Smith-Scheyer-Williams-McClure-Singler 0-0 (0)
Smith-Henderson-McClure-Singler-Thomas 0-0 (0)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler (x3) 5-6 (-1)
Smith-Scheyer-McClure-Singler-Thomas 0-2 (-2)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas 0-2 (-2)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x2) 8-15 (-7)
Paulus-Smith-Henderson-McClure-Thomas 0-7 (-7)

jv001
01-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Jumbo the numbers speak for themselves. It's evident that Zoubek is really making a difference in the games. When Jon and Kyle out to the lineup the offense seems to stall. Williams was steady for the mins he played in the first half and those mins came early so many got their wish to see him play with the starters. I agree that Paulus must deliver when he is in the game but I had rather see Jon running the point. The offense just runs smoother. It looks like Greg's shot is coming back and we will need it in the coming games. Good job on the numbers. Go Duke!

bird
01-09-2009, 08:43 AM
I love the smell of bench-shortening in the morning.

CDu
01-09-2009, 08:57 AM
Jumbo the numbers speak for themselves. It's evident that Zoubek is really making a difference in the games. When Jon and Kyle out to the lineup the offense seems to stall. Williams was steady for the mins he played in the first half and those mins came early so many got their wish to see him play with the starters. I agree that Paulus must deliver when he is in the game but I had rather see Jon running the point. The offense just runs smoother. It looks like Greg's shot is coming back and we will need it in the coming games. Good job on the numbers. Go Duke!

The numbers MAY show that Zoubek is really making a difference. Or, as Jumbo said, it may be a function of the fact that Zoubek played almost exclusively with the starters. The question is cause/effect. Did Zoubek's minutes with the starters bring up the plus/minus for the starting lineup, or did the starting lineup bring up Zoubek's plus/minus? I think it's probably hard to say yet.

I agree on Scheyer at point instead of Paulus. I thought so last year as well, when Paulus was essentially playing shooting guard already. At this point, aside from veteran leadership, Paulus's best attribute is his outside shot. I think we're best served having Scheyer and Smith (or Singler) bring the ball up court and have Greg play off the ball looking for his shot.

jv001
01-09-2009, 09:05 AM
The numbers MAY show that Zoubek is really making a difference. Or, as Jumbo said, it may be a function of the fact that Zoubek played almost exclusively with the starters. The question is cause/effect. Did Zoubek's minutes with the starters bring up the plus/minus for the starting lineup, or did the starting lineup bring up Zoubek's plus/minus? I think it's probably hard to say yet.

I agree on Scheyer at point instead of Paulus. I thought so last year as well, when Paulus was essentially playing shooting guard already. At this point, aside from veteran leadership, Paulus's best attribute is his outside shot. I think we're best served having Scheyer and Smith (or Singler) bring the ball up court and have Greg play off the ball looking for his shot.

I believe Zoubek's play and the numbers match very well. Brian is playing good defense and is the 2nd leading rebounder on the team. He's not turning the ball over, his passing has improved and so has his footwork. The numbers just support his play. Go Duke!

ice-9
01-09-2009, 09:19 AM

The answer is both! Zoubek makes the starters better, and the starters play better with Zoubek.

Compare the following plus/minus over the season:
* Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek: +93
* Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Thomas: +13
* Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Plumlee: 0

Conclusion, Zoubek is our best 5 with the starters. The starters play best with Zoubek at the 5.

Even when Zoubek plays with the bench, he's still a plus:
* Paulus-Pocius-Williams-McClure-Zoubek: +4
* Paulus-Pocius-Williams-McClure-Thomas: -2
* Paulus-Pocius-Williams-McClure-Zoubek: -1

Conclusion, Zoubek is our best 5 even with the bench. The bench play best with Zoubek at the 5.

No matter how you cut it, you must admit, Zoubek made a quantum leap this season from the big stiff to the big deal. For all those of you who thought the Z cannot reach this level, I think an apology is in order! Now if we can only get Zoubs to play the way he has played for longer minutes...wow, we're gonna be good. Folks, we're a complete team this season; I think we deserve our #2 ranking and I think that we have a real shot at the national championship this year! So yeah, I'm excited. :D