PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Men's Recruiting

houstondukie
03-22-2007, 07:55 PM
What ever happened with our recruitment of him? I know he and Patrick Patterson are close friends and both probably would have already signed with Kentucky if not for the situation with Tubby Smith. Now that Tubby is out at Kentucky, I think Duke has a great shot at PP. Would J. Lucas follow him to Duke? We have the scholarships, Lucas is a great talent (McDonalds AA), and while Nolan Smith can play some point guard, he is more of a combo guard whereas Lucas is a pure point. I think Lucas would be make a great backup for Paulus next year and provide the athleticism and penetration at the point gaurd spot that we lacked this year.

thrilainvanila
03-22-2007, 08:03 PM
despite what you may have heard (esp from andy katz or whichever espn analyst first said that), i understand we have never had any contact with Jai Lucas.

wisteria
03-22-2007, 08:05 PM
I don't have a source to cite, but I remember reading somewhere that many people believe he would go to maryland.

jimbonelson
03-22-2007, 10:24 PM
i hear oklahoma state

Olympic Fan
03-23-2007, 01:07 AM
Duke has NEVER been involved with Lucas.

Jeff Capel, on the other hand, has been recruiting him hard at Oklahoma. Kentucky, Maryland (where is father played) and Oklahoma State (where his brother played) are his final four.

Don't know what difference Tubby's departure makes -- unlike PP, Lucas has never gone on record as saying that would impact his decision.

Heelo
03-23-2007, 05:06 AM
My takes:

1) Florida has been the favorite for Patterson for a long time. Tubby leaving hasn't changed duke's position relative to Florida, that is, it will have to be a come-from-behind victory if duke's going to get him.

2) The duke staff is absolutely nuts to not be getting involved with Jai Lucas. As much as people around here want to think that Scheyer and Nolan Smith can play the point, at the end of the day they're simply not PG's. By all accounts, Jai is a great kid, a hard worker, and possesses extremely sound fundamentals. And as far as pedigree goes, between his father and older brother I think you can hardly ask for anything better. Is he undersized and not particularly athletic? Yes. But for a duke team that struggled to score for most of the season, and whose season could be imperiled by another injury to Greg Paulus, I think a backup point guard who is a team-oriented distributor is exactly what the doctor ordered. I know everyone has high hopes for the offensive contributions of Smith, King and Singler, but there's not a whole lot to suggest that they're going to be any more ready to contribute immediately than (or lack similar significant drawbacks as) Nelson, Scheyer and McRoberts.

Seeing as how K doesn't usually run his bench very deep, I think the risk of "wasting" a scholarship on Jai Lucas is minimal, and it is highly unlikely that his presence would scare off any future PG recruits.

Troublemaker
03-23-2007, 09:20 AM
The duke staff is absolutely nuts to not be getting involved with Jai Lucas. As much as people around here want to think that Scheyer and Nolan Smith can play the point, at the end of the day they're simply not PG's.

I think the Duke coaching staff would disagree with this assessment. They're obviously very comfortable with Smith at PG. Otherwise, they would've gotten involved with more PG prospects from 2008.

But for a duke team that struggled to score for most of the season, and whose season could be imperiled by another injury to Greg Paulus, I think a backup point guard who is a team-oriented distributor is exactly what the doctor ordered. Seeing as how K doesn't usually run his bench very deep, I think the risk of "wasting" a scholarship on Jai Lucas is minimal, and it is highly unlikely that his presence would scare off any future PG recruits.

And what are the odds that Jai Lucas would like to be a backup for 2 years and then not even have a starting job guaranteed for his JR and SR seasons?

You're taking the recruitment of a player too lightly, imo. Duke shouldn't sign a player just to have a "true" backup for a couple of seasons. Does he have a chance to start eventually? Would we even want him as the starter? The makeup of the roster also has to be taken into account, as Duke is pretty well loaded with guards right now. If you sign a high school player, especially a top 50 guy, it's a HUGE commitment you're making. Unless he's got elite size and talent, that's FOUR years you're going to spend with the guy. Almost half a decade.

Bottom line is that Duke isn't recruiting Lucas probably because of some combination of (a) we think Nolan Smith is a good PG (b) Jai doesn't want to be a backup for 2 yrs and (c) Jai's not what we're looking for in a PG

CMS2478
03-23-2007, 09:48 AM
I think the Duke coaching staff would disagree with this assessment. They're obviously very comfortable with Smith at PG. Otherwise, they would've gotten involved with more PG prospects from 2008.

And what are the odds that Jai Lucas would like to be a backup for 2 years and then not even have a starting job guaranteed for his JR and SR seasons?

You're taking the recruitment of a player too lightly, imo. Duke shouldn't sign a player just to have a "true" backup for a couple of seasons. Does he have a chance to start eventually? Would we even want him as the starter? The makeup of the roster also has to be taken into account, as Duke is pretty well loaded with guards right now. If you sign a high school player, especially a top 50 guy, it's a HUGE commitment you're making. Unless he's got elite size and talent, that's FOUR years you're going to spend with the guy. Almost half a decade.

Bottom line is that Duke isn't recruiting Lucas probably because of some combination of (a) we think Nolan Smith is a good PG (b) Jai doesn't want to be a backup for 2 yrs and (c) Jai's not what we're looking for in a PG

He wouldn't start over Paulus, so it doesn't make sense for us to recruit him or him to come to Duke. But do you really think Nolan Smith will be a point guard. Most everything I've heard about him is that he is a shooting guard. In fact I asked the question on here one time if anybody thought he would play some point next year and people responded as though I was the most ignorant basketball fan in the world. I have seen King and Singler play, but only one game of Smith on tv and I know he is not the PG for Oak Hill. So, Troublemaker do you think he will run some point at Duke? (Behind Paulus of course). :confused:

Troublemaker
03-23-2007, 10:01 AM
Yes, I think Nolan will be the main PG backup in '08 and '09. He will then be the PG starter in '10 and '11 and groom a 2009 PG recruit who backs up Nolan both years. I know Nolan has the handle and a nice looking shot. He could be an Avery-type PG for us.

CMS2478
03-23-2007, 10:03 AM
Yes, I think Nolan will be the main PG backup in '08 and '09. He will then be the PG starter in '10 and '11 and groom a 2009 PG recruit who backs up Nolan both years. I know Nolan has the handle and a nice looking shot. He could be an Avery-type PG for us.

Because he could become that quick PG, that can penetrate and cause havoc for the other team, that we have been missing. :)

Troublemaker
03-23-2007, 10:09 AM
Yeah, I can't wait to see him play. You don't have to hope I'm right, you just have to hope the coaching staff is right. See, I think the assumption that the coaches are knowingly going without a second PG (to Paulus) is wrong. I think they believe Nolan is a PG and can backup there the next two years and be the man there in '10 and '11. Remember, Nolan was the PG on his AAU squad, so they have seen him in action there.

DukeVol
04-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Now that the 2007 recruiting class is decided (with the exception of PP's big decision), I wanted to get people's thoughts on 2008.

I read that we have received high interest from Greg Monroe, Drew Gordon, and Travis Releford. GM and DG are both PFs and TR is a SG. Who else are we actively pursuing? If all three want to sign and barring transfers or early entries, will we have the schollies available?

Your Thoughts?

DukeVol
04-03-2007, 07:30 PM
Quick bump on a topic that might cheer us up. There is hope.

Channing
04-03-2007, 08:36 PM
Assuming no attrition to the NBA, for 2008 Duke will have the following players on scholarship:

Paulus - Sr
McClure - Sr
Pocius - Sr
Zoubek - Jr
Henderson - Jr
Thomas - Jr
Scheyer - Jr
King - Soph
Singler - Soph
Smith - Soph

That leaves three scholarships available for the class of 2008 (two if PP comes to Durham). From what has been said, everyone would be very very happy if one of those went to Greg Monroe. I am not sure who we would ideally get for the other one. The other players on Duke's radar are SG Travis Releford, C Samardo Samuels, and PF Drew Gordon.

For 2009, the next true PG we appear to be recruiting is Lesley McDonald - as was stated in another thread.

I dont know anything about any of these guys except that they are all highly rated - maybe someone more in the know can break it down, or you can always go to Watzone's blog as he always has the inside dish on recruiting.

ps - Ohio State already has 4 5-star players locked up for the class of 2008 . . . talk about reloading.

Bud
04-03-2007, 08:57 PM
I thought I would give some information for the 2008 recruiting class, I have no inside information but I do no some I follow recruiting very close. Monroe is are top target we are his dream school and I believe in the end we will get him, it is between us and LSU, and KU. Gordan is are next big target he likes us a lot but if we land PP, I don't think we get him, but if we don;t land PP I think we get Gordan. You also mentioned Releford we have cooled on him many believe he is a KU lean, I don;t think we get him. We have also cooled on Samuels he will end up at UNC, or Conn. We are recruiting J'covan Brown a 6'3 gaurd from TX but this will be a tuff battle with the longhorns. A few other names two remember are Darius Miller a 6'6 Foward from KY. Also Michael Dunigan A 6'9 Center.

Troublemaker
04-03-2007, 09:12 PM
fyi, Leslie McDonald is more of a combo guard than a true point guard.

jimsumner
04-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Monroe is the highest priority. Gordon maybe, depending on what Patterson does.

I don't think Duke has much interest at this time in either Releford or Brown. Miller is a possibility and I suspect some new names will be added this spring/summer. Still, Duke doesn't have a lot of schollies so don't look for a big class; 3 max

Troublemaker
04-03-2007, 09:39 PM
I doubt Duke is recruiting J'Covan Brown, considering he had to transfer schools after failing out.

http://www.panews.com/portarthur/local_story_226214558.html

pamtar
04-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Just a side note, Ty Walker from my neck of the woods in Wilmington, NC has committed to Wake. He was leaning heavily to UNCucks but obviously changed his mind. Thank god, he's extremely underated and will definitely make an impact as a freshman.

kydevil
04-03-2007, 10:11 PM
Hopefully we go for Darius Miller, He would be the perfect 3 for our system... he can flat out play.

lavell12
04-04-2007, 04:08 AM
I was looking for PF or C that are commited to others schools which may end up having coaching changes and this kid is committed to Texas and had been given an offer from Duke and if Rick Barns goes to Kentucky maybe this kid decides he doesn't want to stay at Texas.

vango
04-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Just a side note, Ty Walker from my neck of the woods in Wilmington, NC has committed to Wake. He was leaning heavily to UNCucks but obviously changed his mind. Thank god, he's extremely underated and will definitely make an impact as a freshman.

From Wilmington as well. He's good, just super thin. I don't see him making a big impact as a freshman but I've only seen him play 3 times. Guess we'll find out soon enough...

houstondukie
04-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Florida has started to make a big push for PG Jai Lucas. Lucas never had Florida among his top choices but admits that the situation is looking better with Green declaring for the draft. Florida is obviously recruiting Lucas hard with Patterson in mind, but Lucas is a great player himself. Even with Green declaring, isn't Nick Calathes considered the next point guard at Florida?

I really wish Duke would start recruiting Lucas (rumor was that Coach K briefly recruited him), not just to get Patterson but because I'm not completely sold on Nolan Smith as our point gaurd of the future and Lucas would give us quickness/penetration at the point. Sure Lucas would have to backup Paulus for a couple years, but does he expect to beat out Calathes for the point for four years or would they play alongside each other?

jawk24
04-06-2007, 12:24 PM
I really wish Duke recruited Jai Lucas because we really need him!

kramerbr
04-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Nolan Smith will be an excellent backup for Paulus and Scheyer will even play some pg. It appears that the pg position will be one of Duke's stronger positions.

Nolan played pg for Oak Hill until Jennings took over (who is probably the top Junior pg recruit). Jai Lucas is good but Nolan Smith will be much....much better.

FireOgilvie
04-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Jai Lucas is a good point guard. Duke doesn't need him, however. Nolan Smith should be really solid.

ikiru36
04-06-2007, 01:05 PM
Nolan Smith will be an excellent backup for Paulus and Scheyer will even play some pg. It appears that the pg position will be one of Duke's stronger positions.

Nolan played pg for Oak Hill until Jennings took over (who is probably the top Junior pg recruit). Jai Lucas is good but Nolan Smith will be much....much better.

I agree that between Paulus, Scheyer and Smith, we'll certainly be as solid at PG as anyone (though Lucas would definitely be a more pure PG than the rest of them). Nevertheless, while Nolan Smith did play some spot PG during his last 2 years at Oak Hill, a guy named Ty Lawson was the PG during his Junior year, with Jennings the PG his Senior year. Due to that, no shame that he wasn't the starting PG, but he honestly has not played a lot at that position either of the past two seasons.

Patrick Yates
04-06-2007, 05:49 PM
Florida has started to make a big push for PG Jai Lucas. Lucas never had Florida among his top choices but admits that the situation is looking better with Green declaring for the draft. Florida is obviously recruiting Lucas hard with Patterson in mind, but Lucas is a great player himself. Even with Green declaring, isn't Nick Calathes considered the next point guard at Florida?

I really wish Duke would start recruiting Lucas (rumor was that Coach K briefly recruited him), not just to get Patterson but because I'm not completely sold on Nolan Smith as our point gaurd of the future and Lucas would give us quickness/penetration at the point. Sure Lucas would have to backup Paulus for a couple years, but does he expect to beat out Calathes for the point for four years or would they play alongside each other?

Calathes was supposed to be the next pg at Fl, but he has grown. He was a 6'4 pg, but he his now looking more like a 6-6 sg, so FL might need Jai Lucas to play the pt.

I for one am not impressed with Jai Lucas. I think his making the McD's team, when he is generally ranked in the low 20 to high 30 range, is a mistake. There were other, more deserving players. I believe that Lucas, who is very small but lacks the elite quickness associated with successful short guards, is benefiting from the "single girl" phenomenon. All the other players, sans PP, in the top 50 are in committed relationships, so the single (uncommitted) players look all the more enticing. Lucas is one of the few players left who is good enough to help, if not dominate, immediately. Thus, he is esteemed more than players who have committed. Also, I think Jai is getting the benefit of the doubt because of who is father is, and the fact that he might be the enticement to lure PP, which would be a huge get for any program.

I think NS is much better now, and will be much, much better, before all is said and done. Coach K was wise not to jump on this player.

Moot Point, FL is a done deal.

Patrick Yates

freedevil
04-06-2007, 06:58 PM
Not to sound rude Patrick, but Taylor King may have been a questionable McDonald's selection as well given where he is ranked by many scouts (scounts.inc at 36; heck, Nolan Smith is at 20 on their list). I do agree, however, that Jai Lucas is not all that impressive.

Patrick Yates
04-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Not to sound rude Patrick, but Taylor King may have been a questionable McDonald's selection as well given where he is ranked by many scouts (scounts.inc at 36; heck, Nolan Smith is at 20 on their list). I do agree, however, that Jai Lucas is not all that impressive.

I completely agree, but was hesitant to include King. A few observers questioned his inclusion, but in King's defense his team was a nationally top ten ranked squad, and King put up big numbers against national comp. Lucas did not play at a powerhouse, and I think this hurt the two kids from TX also.

Regardless, if Lucas is committed, even to FL, at the time of selection, no way he makes McD's AA.

Patrick Yates

Bob Green
04-10-2007, 06:19 AM
The success or failure for our 2008 recruiting efforts will definitely revolve around Greg Monroe. It appears we are in the lead:

"Duke may be the early leader for the No. 1 prospect in the 2008 class as 6-10 power forward/center Greg Monroe of Harvey (La.) Cox reportedly likes the Blue Devils over a long list of schools that includes Louisville, Kansas, Kentucky, Southern Cal, LSU, Connecticut and many others."

I have read where we will recruit Drew Gordon hard if we fail to sign Patrick Patterson this year. My question is, do we have any interest in Samardo Samuels who hails from Lance Thomas' high school? UNC is leading, but are we recruiting him at all?

"Samardo Samuels, a 6-8 center from Newark (N.J.) St. Benedict’s, has said UNC may be his favorite."

Finally, what is the latest status on Larry Drew? Are we still in the hunt?

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

mgtr
04-10-2007, 07:33 AM
When we see these other talented players, we don't know whether they have the interest and ability to succeed at Duke academically, or anything about their character. According to the assistant coaches, those two factors are critical in their recruiting.

Bud
04-10-2007, 10:27 AM
We are no longer in the running for Drew. I really think we stand a good shot at Gordan, but I'am not usually not a critic of the Duke coaching staff, but they have waited to long to offer Gordan. I know they are waiting on PP, but they should go ahead and offer Gordan. Also there is a new pg recruit that got the Duke coaching staffs eye, for 2008 I cant remember his name but I will get it and post it.

kramerbr
04-10-2007, 10:28 AM
After reading some threads about Monroe (via Patterson Tea Leaves) I get the impression he is similar to Josh. I have yet to watch him play but most people say that he has a good handle as well as being a good passer and often drifts outside the paint.

Is this a fair comparison?

tropical storm
04-10-2007, 10:34 AM
Being from NJ I had the chance to see him once, and have seen some local articles and such. In the game that I saw he was pretty quiet, but a number of people have likened his game to Elton Brand. To me he seemed somewhat similar to Patterson (though a little bigger), so perhaps that decision is also impacting Samuels recruiting.

I have heard rumor that academics are an issue, though these were rumored to be borderline. I believe it to be factual that he has gone to summer school to pull up his grades. I had also heard that he had quite good character. Danny Hurley his coach absolutely loves him and thinks he will be a total stud. You really get the sense that this is one of his favorite players and he has had quite a few High D1 guys and even an NBA'er or two, so he should know. He has said that Samuels is the most advanced junior he has ever had.

Bud
04-10-2007, 10:36 AM
We might be recruiting Andrew Steele a 2008 pg he is 6'3 and he is from Alabama, and if some of you are wondering he is Ronald Steele's brother,

Troublemaker
04-10-2007, 10:44 AM
After reading some threads about Monroe (via Patterson Tea Leaves) I get the impression he is similar to Josh. I have yet to watch him play but most people say that he has a good handle as well as being a good passer and often drifts outside the paint.

Is this a fair comparison?

Fair to a certain point. His ability to dribble penetrate is much much better, as is his shooting touch, which makes him clearly a better prospect/player than Josh.

jawk24
04-10-2007, 12:52 PM
We might be recruiting Andrew Steele a 2008 pg he is 6'3 and he is from Alabama, and if some of you are wondering he is Ronald Steele's brother,

it's about time, we could really use some pg help!

watzone
04-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Duke is pretty much out of it from Drews standpoint. I suggest joining a good, hard working informed recruiting site;)

Saratoga2
04-10-2007, 01:56 PM
The success or failure for our 2008 recruiting efforts will definitely revolve around Greg Monroe. It appears we are in the lead:

"Duke may be the early leader for the No. 1 prospect in the 2008 class as 6-10 power forward/center Greg Monroe of Harvey (La.) Cox reportedly likes the Blue Devils over a long list of schools that includes Louisville, Kansas, Kentucky, Southern Cal, LSU, Connecticut and many others."

I have read where we will recruit Drew Gordon hard if we fail to sign Patrick Patterson this year. My question is, do we have any interest in Samardo Samuels who hails from Lance Thomas' high school? UNC is leading, but are we recruiting him at all?

"Samardo Samuels, a 6-8 center from Newark (N.J.) St. Benedict’s, has said UNC may be his favorite."

Finally, what is the latest status on Larry Drew? Are we still in the hunt?

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

We were initially interested in Travis and I haven't seen anything that says he is not still a prospect. He was listed at 6'5" and only 175# at the start of the season. While listed as a shooting guard, it was also stated that he could easily become a big point guard. Smooth is the word on this kid. He is a Kansas kid.

dkbaseball
04-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Gordon's visiting Arizona on his own dime this weekend. The Tucson paper says playing time is a big factor and quotes him as saying "I'm definitely expecting to play a lot the first year." Can't see K giving the necessary reassurances there. But if he is, as reported, six-nine 236 lbs as a high school junior, it shouldn't be too hard to envision a role for himself, assuming Patterson doesn't sign.

Channing
04-14-2007, 04:42 PM
"2007-2008 Outlook: Smith isn’t going to be featured on any mock drafts anytime soon, but that doesn’t mean he won’t have an impact in the ACC next season. In fact, Duke is desperately in need of a player with Smith’s skillset. The Blue Devils were missing that athletic, defense-minded ball-handler with the graduation of Daniel Ewing and Sean Dockery the past two seasons. Expect Nolan Smith to play early and often in 07-08."

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1998

there is a more thorough rundown of his performance at the Nike Hoops summit.

Bob Green
04-14-2007, 05:20 PM
A couple of months ago I was of the opinion that Nolan Smith would see limited minutes as a Freshman due to Duke's depth in the backcourt. After reading posts on various threads from fans who have seen him play and watching the McDonald's AA game on TV, I am sold that he will see lots of minutes as a Freshman. This quote from the linked article is an attention grabber:

"He has a mature, muscular frame and the athleticism to effectively break down defenses off the dribble on the Division One level."

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

houstondukie
04-14-2007, 05:37 PM
I read somewhere that Nolan is a 5th yr senior. Can anyone confirm/disconfirm this? If so, that might explain some of his maturity.

kydevil
04-14-2007, 05:43 PM
I read somewhere that Nolan is a 5th yr senior. Can anyone confirm/disconfirm this? If so, that might explain some of his maturity.

I cannot confirm this but I do know that Nolan is younger than players in his grade such as Oj and Singler, so I don't think he is a 5th yr senior unless he started school early. Also Smith was the captain of Oak Hill his Sr. Year, he is a leader.

Bob Green
04-14-2007, 05:51 PM
Nolan Smith is currently 18 as his birthday is July 25, 1988. According to the High School notes section of the USA Basketball Bio he is not a 5th year senior, but he did play varsity ball while in the 8th grade:

"Has played his senior and junior seasons at Oak Hill Academy (Va.), as well as varsity seasons at Riverdale Baptist (Md.) in 2004-05, St. John’s (Md.) in 2003-04 and as an eighth grader at Key School (Md.) in 2002-03."

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Richard Berg
04-14-2007, 06:32 PM
The Blue Devils were missing that athletic, defense-minded ball-handler with the graduation of Daniel Ewing and Sean Dockery the past two seasons.
Interesting. I think Paulus is at least as athletic as Dock and a much better ball-handler than Ewing. I don't remember Ewing's defense standing out, either. To me his main defensive advantage over Greg would be his experience (the sole senior leader, vs frosh/soph Greg) and an extra ~2.5 inches.

Anyway. A hearty Duke welcome to Nolan. I'm confident our staff will find the right role for him next year, no matter what bored offseason sports writers say between now & then.

Saratoga2
04-14-2007, 07:24 PM
A couple of months ago I was of the opinion that Nolan Smith would see limited minutes as a Freshman due to Duke's depth in the backcourt. After reading posts on various threads from fans who have seen him play and watching the McDonald's AA game on TV, I am sold that he will see lots of minutes as a Freshman. This quote from the linked article is an attention grabber:

"He has a mature, muscular frame and the athleticism to effectively break down defenses off the dribble on the Division One level."

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Bob

When I looked the kid up I found he was listed at 6' 2.5" and 175 pounds. He does look thin when I saw him play. Nothing wrong with his size, but at 18 years old I wouldn't describe him as either mature or muscular.

The kid does have game and he seems to have composure in a way that Scheyer has it. I think he will get substantial playing time by relieving Paulus and by getting some minutes from Nelson.

dukestheheat
04-14-2007, 08:16 PM
Bob,

I watched him play and I would describe him as very muscular and very athletic; and, the report also noted that 'Smith.....will be Duke's most explosive backcourt performer from day one....a mature, muscular frame to break down defenses off the dribble in D1.

welcome Mr. Smith!

dth.

freedevil
04-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Interesting. I think Paulus is at least as athletic as Dock and a much better ball-handler than Ewing. I don't remember Ewing's defense standing out, either. To me his main defensive advantage over Greg would be his experience (the sole senior leader, vs frosh/soph Greg) and an extra ~2.5 inches.

Anyway. A hearty Duke welcome to Nolan. I'm confident our staff will find the right role for him next year, no matter what bored offseason sports writers say between now & then.

Mr. Berg - I have to disagree with you 100% with Paulus being just as athletic as Dock and being a better ball-handler than Ewing. Without meaning to sound like a jerk, Dockery is 100 times more athletic than Paulus and Ewing is a much better ball handler. Paulus can't even face the basket when he's in the half court set because he's too slow to keep quicker guards from reaching in and stealing the ball. This is a fact, watch any Duke game and you will notice this. As for Ewing, Ewing could break down anyone off the dribble. Paulus has shown the ability to do that, but he is by no means anywhere close to Ewing.

houstondukie
04-14-2007, 08:48 PM
Mr. Berg - I have to disagree with you 100% with Paulus being just as athletic as Dock and being a better ball-handler than Ewing. Without meaning to sound like a jerk, Dockery is 100 times more athletic than Paulus and Ewing is a much better ball handler. Paulus can't even face the basket when he's in the half court set because he's too slow to keep quicker guards from reaching in and stealing the ball. This is a fact, watch any Duke game and you will notice this. As for Ewing, Ewing could break down anyone off the dribble. Paulus has shown the ability to do that, but he is by no means anywhere close to Ewing.

I think you're giving Ewing too much credit as a ball handler. Part of the reason he wasn't a very good converted point gaurd his senior year was because of poor ball handling. Often Ewing had trouble bringing the ball up the court with pressure defense on him. While I agree Paulus is not a very good ball handler (sometimes I cringe as he brings the ball up the court), Ewing was not any better than Paulus.

dukeisawesome
04-14-2007, 10:25 PM
Holy crap...I just watched a video of Nolan Smith and he is extremely athletic. He would be a top pick in a dunk contest which is saying a lot for someone only 6'3". I'm really excited about what he brings to the table next season.

CDu
04-14-2007, 11:11 PM

With all due respect, I have to disagree with you.

Dockery is a FAR better athlete (in terms of quickness, agility, speed, and probably leaping ability) than Paulus. It's not even close. Dockery was an extremely quick player for Duke. His only limitation was that he was not a very good point guard.

As for the ballhandling, I don't think Paulus is exceptionally good at this either. He rarely faced up his man in the half-court set with the dribble, indicating a lack of confidence in his ballhandling skills. Ewing on the other hand was pretty adept at shaking his man and getting into the lane. I'd say Paulus loses that comparison as well.

What Paulus does better than both Dockery and Ewing (and most likely Smith as well) is shoot and pass. But I think the website had it right: two of Paulus' weaknesses have been athleticism and ballhandling.

Kilby
04-15-2007, 12:16 AM
What made me first question Greg's ballhandling skills was as a freshman he constantly played with a chickenwing off ball arm to keep defensive players from being able to steal the ball. He still did it last year and I couldn't believe that he didn't get called for it. When he wasn't using it he had to keep his back to the defender which didn't help playmaking, and Duke couldn't make defenses pay for pressing all year. I was glad to see him show the clutch shot and I think that Duke will benefit more from him playing the off guard with occasional ballhandling duties that regularly handling the ball. Some people will point to games when he had low TO's but I wonder who was guarding him in those games. I don't know that I saw any point guard in the NCAA's that I didn't think "I wish we had him at Duke." I hope Smith gets the point duties and the fast break is back.

SilkyJ
04-15-2007, 09:58 AM
I think you're giving Ewing too much credit as a ball handler. Part of the reason he wasn't a very good converted point gaurd his senior year was because of poor ball handling. Often Ewing had trouble bringing the ball up the court with pressure defense on him. While I agree Paulus is not a very good ball handler (sometimes I cringe as he brings the ball up the court), Ewing was not any better than Paulus.

H-Town hits it right on the head. Greg is a little better at bringing the ball up court. But freedevil has one good point: Ewing could break guys down and get to the basket better than Greg,. But that was really b/c he is quicker and more athletic, not because of some great ball handling skills.

Overall Greg is a better dibbler, but he is not as quick or as athletic as Ewing, obviously. Thats not a knock on either one of them: remember, Greg has been a PG his whole career, or a large part presumably, and Ewing was a SG for his whole life, or at least 7 straight years, until senior yr at Duke.

As for Dock, its not even close. 100% more athletic (if you never saw him in warmups: he could throw the ball off glass, catch in midair and do a full windmill. didn't do it very often, except when you asked him to). 100% better dribbler. Dock actually has a SICK handle, just never really got the chance to showcase it. Its very much a street-ball, flashy kind of dribble, which K & Co. obviously got him to tone down a little and just stick to basics.

kydevil
04-15-2007, 02:15 PM
H-Town hits it right on the head. Greg is a little better at bringing the ball up court. But freedevil has one good point: Ewing could break guys down and get to the basket better than Greg,. But that was really b/c he is quicker and more athletic, not because of some great ball handling skills.

Overall Greg is a better dibbler, but he is not as quick or as athletic as Ewing, obviously. Thats not a knock on either one of them: remember, Greg has been a PG his whole career, or a large part presumably, and Ewing was a SG for his whole life, or at least 7 straight years, until senior yr at Duke.

As for Dock, its not even close. 100% more athletic (if you never saw him in warmups: he could throw the ball off glass, catch in midair and do a full windmill. didn't do it very often, except when you asked him to). 100% better dribbler. Dock actually has a SICK handle, just never really got the chance to showcase it. Its very much a street-ball, flashy kind of dribble, which K & Co. obviously got him to tone down a little and just stick to basics.

Ya but how often did Ewing break people down off the dribble it seemed like he was always pulling up shooting a jumper... :rolleyes:

Classof06
04-15-2007, 03:15 PM
I hope Smith gets the point duties and the fast break is back.

I agree. I think Duke's problem this year is that they had to rely on 1/2 court offense way too much. Even though they played great defense most of the year, they never did a great job of getting themselves easy baskets. Then, when it came down to it, they really didn't have to athleticism to run up and down with certain teams, and that hurt as well.

I can't say that I'm not excited at the prospect of seeing Nolan Smith possibly running the point. Quite simply, he brings athleticism to a position where Duke needs it badly. This is why I have to disagree with Mr. Berg. If Patterson enlists, you have to believe we'll have the personnel to bring back the fast paced tempo. A lineup like Smith, Nelson, Henderson, Singler, and Patterson could do definite damage under Coach K, and it's been a while since Duke put a lineup like that on the floor.

dukelion
04-24-2007, 03:23 PM
Introducing Elliot Williams.

He's long lean and athletic........I like it.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/barrier_noentry.asp?sid=&script=/content.asp&cid=667048&fid=&tid=&mid=

VaDukie
04-24-2007, 03:41 PM
Last time we recruited a guy from Tennessee he broke our hearts...hope it doesn't happen again.

Bud
04-24-2007, 04:57 PM
I reported this yesterday, that Duke was going to offer him. I think it is a good move becouse Henderson could be gone after next year and I like the fact that this kid is very athletic. The only thing I do not understand is why Duke has not offerd Drew Gordan this guy is a beast and I do not think we are going to get pp.

dukelion
04-24-2007, 05:01 PM
as Greg Monroe is their main target and they seem to be leading.

SilkyJ
04-24-2007, 05:04 PM
Scout.com has him listed as a SG. Then again, under their "schools of interest" they don't even have Duke listed. Anyone know this guy and know whether he's a SG, PG, or combo?

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=2682422

Bud
04-24-2007, 05:13 PM
I have seen vidoes of him he is 6'4 170 and is listed as a combo guard I think he can play either position and he very quick and athletic. Also look for UNC to offer him very soon this should be a very good battle for his services.

houstondukie
04-24-2007, 05:21 PM
According to Rivals, we have offered Drew Gordon.

freedevil
04-24-2007, 07:17 PM
The video I saw of him was impressive. Not that it's his fault (cause he didn't edit it), but it looked way too much like an And1 mix tape video. Awesome dunks mixed in with somewhat unnecessary behind the back passes and a few fall away 3 pointers. Obviously K has seen more than this and is impressed. The kid is a sick athlete.

kramerbr
04-24-2007, 07:28 PM
Call me crazy be he looks like the prototypical UNC guard...

Bud
04-24-2007, 07:36 PM
rivals says that we have offered Gordan but according to good sources on another message board I get on they claim this is not true and they are very reliable. Also rivals is the only source claiming this if it was true some other recruiting sources would be reporting this. I think Duke is waiting on pp but I think this is a mistake by the time pp decides we may be to late, and this guy is very good and I think if we showed a lot of intrest in him we would have a good shot at landing him. Plus if we do not get him there will be a good chance are friends 7 miles down the road might get him they have also shown intrest in him. And my opinion is we do not stand a good shot at pp I think he is UF bound. So I say we go after Gordan with him Monroe and Williams this would be a very good class

MChambers
04-24-2007, 08:09 PM
Too bad Sheldon and Reddick won't be around to play with Gordan!

wilson
04-24-2007, 08:15 PM

I definately wish they were still around.

heyman25
04-24-2007, 08:44 PM
Waiting for Patterson is a big gamble.Boozer committed after Brand went Pro. Thomas had a lousy freshman year but we had to wait on him til late April. Zoubek is not the answer on the interior. I hope he proves me wrong. If Patterson goes elsewhere I just hope Gordon or other pf or centers won't hold it against Duke.

FireOgilvie
04-24-2007, 08:45 PM

Gordan could play with Zoobeck, Pocious, and McLure.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Boozer committed after Brand went Pro.

Actually, Boozer committed before Brand declared. It wasn't a surprise when Brand did declare, and Carlos may have been given clear hints that it was going to happen, but it wasn't done beforehand.

smittendevil
04-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Here's a video. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTaI-O8dzBY)

Capn Poptart
04-25-2007, 09:57 AM
Wow! Thanks for the video. I'd love to see that kid wearing blue and white. And black.

Patrick Yates
04-25-2007, 10:19 AM
rivals says that we have offered Gordan but according to good sources on another message board I get on they claim this is not true and they are very reliable. Also rivals is the only source claiming this if it was true some other recruiting sources would be reporting this. I think Duke is waiting on pp but I think this is a mistake by the time pp decides we may be to late, and this guy is very good and I think if we showed a lot of intrest in him we would have a good shot at landing him. Plus if we do not get him there will be a good chance are friends 7 miles down the road might get him they have also shown intrest in him. And my opinion is we do not stand a good shot at pp I think he is UF bound. So I say we go after Gordan with him Monroe and Williams this would be a very good class

I completely agree regarding Gordon, who I think will be better than PP. I do understand the coaches conundrum. If we get PP, we have no chance at Gordan (and it might hurt us with Monroe). But, there is no guarantee re Gordon either. I think the coaches do not want offer Gordon, knowing that they will get turned down, or dropped, when/IF PP commits.

Duke rarely gets turned down, and I beleive this is because K does not offer a kid until he is very sure that the kid will commit, immediately, or it is a desperate situation (LT and PP), or it is a stud (BW). For a high percentage of our players, K offers, and the kid commits within the month, but ther staff is virtually positive of a committment before they offer.

With Gordon, we only have a chance if PP doesn't come, so the staff is not going to waste an offer on him until their is a reasonable chance. I am sure that K has conveyed this to Gordon, or vice versa, that the numbers will be squishy until the PP situation rides out. Let's face it, Duke is a glamour program, and while many kids desire to be recruited by Duke, only a handful truly are, with fewer still actually recieving an offer. Duke doesn't hand out offers, and I think that is the case here.

I would try to get Gordon in the truck, but I will trust K to do what he thinks best.

Patrick Yates

on a side note, Duke has been smoked pretty bad by posts from Cali (and players in general from cali) for several years now. I have personally said (therefore, means nothing), albeit .25 jokingly, that I do not want any more players from California. DN is OK, but I have yet to shed my wariness of the region, because I believe the pleyers from Cali, SoCal especially (excepting Compton), tend to be a little flaky. K may want to evaluate the kid some more before offering. Can't hurt.

houstondukie
04-25-2007, 10:32 AM
If signing PP means we lose out on Drew Gordon, I say we take PP. Greg Monroe is a different situation. I don't think PP's decision will affect Monroe since they are different players and will see time on the court together, but if it did, I'd rather have Monroe in a couple years even if he may be one-and-done. Gordon, on the other hand, doesn't seem to have as much potential as PP.

watzone
04-25-2007, 11:29 AM
Wait a minute! Duke is fine with waiting on Patrick's decision and no, it doesn't hurt to do so. I am not about to get into comparisons between the two, if for no other reason than the offer to Patterson is the table. Yes, Duke wants him and no they will not yank the offer. Depending on what happens, Duke may still get Gordon, so some of you need to drop the paranoia. Leave the recruiting to Duke. Trust the staff. Duke is on the verge of being in the top ten for years to come. All is well in Durham and you will not see double digit losses for a good while. Let the Patterson sweepstakes play out. Be happy that Monroe has us atop his list and that we are in Gordons final four. Then there is Elliot Williams ... he hasn't officially been offered, but us is quite likely. Give coach a chance to at least talk to him;) Here are some tidbits on recruting from my site -The Blue Devil Nation (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog)

If you want the very latest on Patterson, give my premium newsletter a shot.

kydevil
04-25-2007, 11:31 AM
as Greg Monroe is their main target and they seem to be leading.

Ya but Monroe and Gordon's game's aren't really the same. Monroe tends to float around and has a good handle. Yes, he is a big man and will play downlow im sure but he isn't the true big man and pounder that Gordon is!

and btw does anyone know are chances with williams???

Bud
04-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Watzone I agree Duke needs to wait on pp decicion becouse if he does shock the nation and does choose Duke he will help are team next year. I also agree you can not say pp is better ther Gordan or say Gordan is better than pp, neither guy has played a college game yet. I just hope pp decicion does not drag out to much longer becouse if he does choose FU which I think he will it hurts are chances with Gordan. I think coach K and Duke's staff does a great job of recruiting but Duke has been known sometimes to start recruiting kids to late I think that is one reason we will not land pp we started recruiting him way to late. Also Larry Drew Duke started showing intrest in this kid but we were to late. But in the end we do have to trust coach K like Watzone says. Coach K most of the time gets who he want's.

johnb
04-25-2007, 06:57 PM
As for whether we sometimes start too late on top players. Well, there are some players who burst forth late in their hs careers, and there are situations in which we suddenly need to land a particular type of player because of a surprise. All teams are in those situations on a regular basis. Unlike 95% of the other teams, however, we are able to get in late because we are Duke, and recruits generally open the door when K (or Wojo or Collins) calls, even if we haven't sent them a postcard for the first three years of hs. Lots of teams would like to get involved late, but that door is not open to them.

RepoMan
04-26-2007, 09:53 AM
I think coach K and Duke's staff does a great job of recruiting but Duke has been known sometimes to start recruiting kids to late

I have almost no concern about recruiting too late. In contrast, I do worry about recruiting too early--well, not recruitng too early, but signing people too early. For the most part, we are fortunate to be able to select the players we want and, given the physical development of kids that age, we should very rarely be signing people years before they matriculate.

Bud
04-26-2007, 11:00 AM
Duke normally does not start recruiting guys early the only player I can think of is Demarcus Nelson. I think we signed him right after his so year.

kydevil
04-26-2007, 11:48 AM

I hate to be picky but it is def.... Redick.

jimsumner
04-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Just for the record, Duke didn't "sign" Nelson after his sophomore year and Duke doesn't "sign" anyone any earlier than any other team. Don't confuse non-binding verbal agreements with binding national letter of intents, which cannot be signed (for basketball) until autumn of a recruit's senior season. This is a not insignificant distinction.

Channing
04-26-2007, 01:57 PM
I hate to be picky but it is def.... Redick.

its also sheldEn and gordOn. That was the point of the post.

bigfootlives
04-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Are there any major BB recruits interested in going to Duke for the 2008 season?

Schleimer24
04-29-2007, 06:13 PM
I don't think so. We never sign any big-timer recruits.

Lord Ash
04-29-2007, 06:15 PM
Wise guy.

Here is the recruiting link, or you can check Watzones site.

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/articles/?cat=9

Bud
04-29-2007, 07:18 PM
Greg Monroe, Drew Gordan, and Elliot Williams are the main three right now.

SilkyJ
04-29-2007, 07:55 PM
Before DBR switched formats (and btw I love the new boards) do you guys remember when they would keep a little table of sorts at the bottom of the pages where they would have storied linked that would have all of the signed/sought after recruits for the current year and the next? I was thinking about that the other day, and this reminded me again. Maybe we could get a little push to bring it back???

Cameron
04-29-2007, 07:59 PM
^^Man do I want Elliot Williams. I know you shouldn't get too excited just from watching highlight videos off YouTube, but I don't care. I'll watch and record them to DVD every night before I go to bed if he tells us he's coming. They are beautiful.

Wander
04-29-2007, 09:05 PM
I know you shouldn't get too excited just from watching highlight videos off YouTube, but I don't care. I'll watch and record them to DVD every night before I go to bed if he tells us he's coming. They are beautiful.

I think you need a girlfriend or something.

mgtr
04-29-2007, 09:21 PM
I think you need a girlfriend or something.

"Something" is illegal in several southern states.

Wander
04-29-2007, 09:46 PM
"Something" is illegal in several southern states.

Haha. But he can trust that I won't be the one to rat him out if that's what he chooses.

pless55
04-29-2007, 10:29 PM
I hope we get Greg Monroe and Elliot Williams. Drew Gordon might go to Duke if Patrick Patterson doesn't sign. But, we need Patrick Patterson right now. Elliot Williams is an backcourt performer that can shoot threes and very athlethic.

Lord Ash
04-29-2007, 11:04 PM
I agree, I miss that little box at the bottom listing the recruits.

freedevil
04-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Not to be a jerk, but why the propensity to spell Gordon's last name "Gordan" - can we add this to the handy spelling guide?

watzone
04-30-2007, 01:34 PM
You may have to read between the lines if you haven't seen other updates, but you will still get a small idea of what is going on in the Duke Basketball recruiting world in this link.

recruiting update (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog)

kramerbr
05-05-2007, 09:51 AM
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=106&p=2&c=641643&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fstory.scout.com%2fa.z%3f s%3d106%26p%3d2%26c%3d641643

Apparently Gordon might make his decision on Monday. Have we even offered him a scholly and if so do we have a chance?

Cameron
05-05-2007, 11:24 AM
Lol, Wander. Yeah, I am currently in-between them at the moment, which gives me WAY TOO MUCH time to think about Duke Basketball. Now that the season's over though, I think I should probably put the basketball to rest for awhile:)

SilkyJ
05-05-2007, 12:25 PM
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=106&p=2&c=641643&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fstory.scout.com%2fa.z%3f s%3d106%26p%3d2%26c%3d641643

Apparently Gordon might make his decision on Monday. Have we even offered him a scholly and if so do we have a chance?

WOW. Is this a surprise to anyone else? Normally kids wittle down their lists a little and then make a decision. This seems a little early, no? (could be a flase rumor of course) Let's assume its not though.

Anyone (read: watzone) got any info on whats going on here???:eek: :D :confused: (not sure what to feel right now!)

freedevil
05-05-2007, 02:04 PM
Sounds like he's either UW-bound or Zona-bound. The presser is no rumor.

SilkyJ
05-05-2007, 04:53 PM
Who is the presser? Don't take this the wrong way as I am just curious, but how do you know he's UW or zona bound? (e.g. personal source, newspaper article etc.)

freedevil
05-05-2007, 07:04 PM
Shouldn't have said "presser" (slang for press conference), but it appears that only Arizona's scout site is announcing this story, indicating, IMO, that they have an inside track of landing this kid should he be committing somewhere and not just announcing his final cut. I erroneously put UW, getting Gordon's recruitment mixed up with Jrue Holiday.

Here's the link (the same one as originally posted, it's premium content), but I have not found another Scout.com affiliate reporting this... which makes me think they have reason to want to report it.

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=106&p=2&c=641643&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2farizona.scout.com%2f2%2f 641643.html (http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=106&p=2&c=641643&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2farizona.scout.com%2f2%2f 641643.html)

watzone
05-05-2007, 08:08 PM
WOW. Is this a surprise to anyone else? Normally kids wittle down their lists a little and then make a decision. This seems a little early, no? (could be a flase rumor of course) Let's assume its not though.

Anyone (read: watzone) got any info on whats going on here???:eek: :D :confused: (not sure what to feel right now!)

Duke was evaluating Drew Gordon, but never offered him. There were several reasons for this, but that is better left untouched. Besides, I certainly don't know all the details and are assuming a little bit with some information I have obtained along the way. Once a player is off the radar, we shouldn't put a lot of worry into him. I expect he will choose Arizona, but I am not certain of that.

Coach K and Wojo recently took a look at Gordon at a Las Vegas AAU event a couple of weeks back. It was the last time the staff will be able to attend events for awhile.

Blue Devil Nation (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog)

jimsumner
05-05-2007, 08:49 PM
Gordon may well end up at 'Zona but I wouldn't rule out Washington quite yet.

duketaylor
05-06-2007, 09:48 AM
Is is safe to say Monroe must be a heavy lean towards Duke for Duke to not actively have any prospects besides he and PP at that position?