PDA

View Full Version : Those security guys are back (Davidson)

Kimist
01-08-2009, 11:18 AM
The same guys were prowling center court, apparently looking for offending "flashers" and even directing during a TV time-out two yellow-jacketed security staffers to scare the beejabers out of an older gentleman with a camera sitting upstairs behind the Duke bench. They were even talking into their sleeves like Secret Service agents or something.

All of this while those overhead strobe lights were constantly going off (but still "PLEASE turn off your flashers" announcements from the PA) throughout the game.

Perhaps I am just totally confused....it comes with age!:rolleyes:

k

(Original thread from similar antics at Va Tech game is http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13528 )

watzone
01-08-2009, 01:02 PM
Like it took two of them to beat down a fan:) I have seen instances where these guys get out of line for they seem unfamiliar with the venue and the goings on that have happened for years.

As for the camera - Duke is not to keen to have pictures taken of the huddle or K during timeouts. They feel it is personal and invading. Managers have often told people who site behind the bench to pocket their cell cameras.

calltheobvious
01-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Like it took two of them to beat down a fan:) I have seen instances where these guys get out of line for they seem unfamiliar with the venue and the goings on that have happened for years.

As for the camera - Duke is not to keen to have pictures taken of the huddle or K during timeouts. They feel it is personal and invading. Managers have often told people who site behind the bench to pocket their cell cameras.

Excellent advance work on the part of the staff. Wouldn't want anyone to be able to photograph the huddle-breaking secret handshake:rolleyes:.

Kimist
01-08-2009, 02:33 PM

Perhaps so (remember Coach K NEVER gives any interviews at halftime....used to be JD instead) but the fellow last night was "upstairs," looking like a grandfather with a camera, when the assistant-goons arrived.

One would think a good lawyer could make things quite interesting for a person ejected (I really thought that was next for the guy!) for taking a long distance picture in a sports venue where 9000+ people were present. We are, of course, assuming the fellow did not have any CIA-type equipment in hand.

With frequent overhead and freely-moving floor cameras, all "privacy" issues aside, there has to be some smidgen of common sense for public access here. (Or perhaps a tent for the Duke team during time-outs???) Frankly, I was amused at the TV camera guy who was in the free-throw circle with an almost on-the-floor camera pointed upward at Curry as play was ready to resume. Lenny Wirtz or Hank Nichols would probably have had that guy sent to the dungeon!

k

watzone
01-08-2009, 03:28 PM
Did I make all those typos?:) I didn't realize that the fan was asked to leave. I do know that they do not allow flashes from cameras during the game.

Son of Jarhead
01-08-2009, 03:46 PM
As I recall, the announcements have had to do with flashes during play, particularly free-throws. The angle from the stands I suppose could be distracting to players. The strobes, being in the rafters, I would guess are not at an angle to be distracting. At least, from my limited understanding, this seems to be the logic behind it all. On the flash photos of the huddle, I guess that is just Coach K's preference. If you turn your flash off, no one will notice you taking pictures. I don't even think the flash would help at that distance anyway.

mapei
01-08-2009, 04:08 PM
At Gtown games, two security people go on each end of the court during time outs. One faces the basket and the other faces the bench. I'm not sure what they are guarding against, exactly, but they are unobtrusive. Security enters the stands only to guard the pathway to the locker rooms when teams exit at the end of each half and if there's an obvious problem of some sort, which has only happened once or twice that I can remember.

davekay1971
01-08-2009, 04:13 PM
Flashers at Cameron?! Things have gotten WILD since I was a student there! :D

sue71, esq
01-08-2009, 04:42 PM
Paging Speedo Man.

DukeUsul
01-08-2009, 05:11 PM
I always thought the strobes coming from the rafters were tied into the professional photographers on the sidelines (AP, Duke sports staff, etc.). When they snap, the strobes in the rafters will sometimes go. I always thought the request to not use flashes from the stands was because they interfere with the pros who are photographing the game. Additionally, the small flashes on point-and-shoots don't have any ability to help your shots (from so far away in such a well lit arena) but I figured they did cause issues for the pros.

I don't know if I'm right, but that's what I always thought.

Here's a link to a guy (http://www.daveblackphotography.com/workshop/arena-lighting.htm)who describes using strobes in the rafters to photograph action in sports arenas.