PDA

View Full Version : ACC Roundup - 1/7

gw67
01-07-2009, 12:05 PM
The ACC is 131-25 with four OOC games tonight. I expect ACC teams to win all four games bringing the OOC record to 135-25 with two Duke OOC games remaining. I suspect that this is one of the better starts for ACC teams although the Big Ten is now rated the top conference by RPI.

I check the ACC site every week or two to read articles and to look over the conference stats. Jim Sumner has an article on Rich Yunkus of Georgia Tech for us old timers and those who want to learn a little more about the past.

http://www.theacc.com/sports/m-baskbl/acc-m-baskbl-body.html

Stats that jumped out at me include

Team data - Duke’s 10.5 rebounding advantage; Maryland’s .795 free throw shooting (2nd in nation); UNC’s 20.2 apg; Maryland’s low turnovers per game of 12.1

Individual data – Teague scoring leader 19.6 ppg (Singler is 9th and Scheyer is 16th); not only did Rice outplay Lawson, he now leads in assists at 6.5 apg; there are several good free throw shooters but Vasquez is pretending to be JJ at .925; Lawson’s assist to turnover ratio of 4.3 is still outstanding.

Note: I recognize that these stats, where appropriate, are not adjusted for tempo and competition. I have read Pomeroy for the past 5-6 years and enjoy looking at his stats late in the season. For now, the raw data are of interest to me.

gw67