PDA

View Full Version : Ted Roof to Auburn

blublood
01-06-2009, 03:12 PM
http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/01/ted_roof_agrees_to_be_auburns.html

Personally, I don't think this is going to end up being a good move for him. Chizik already has an incredible, - almost unprecedented that I can recall - amount of negative buzz going on around here among the Auburn faithful. He would have to have immediate and spectacular success to overcome that, which just doesn't seem likely, and of course the assistant coaches are always the ones to fall on the sword when things go badly. I hope I'm wrong, but we'll see.

ddsdevil
01-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Congrats to Coach Roof, but I don't think this is a good move at all. Auburn fans won't either.

CameronBornAndBred
01-06-2009, 03:48 PM
Interesting move after only one year, maybe it was the weather. Best of luck to him again, I don't see the benefit though.

OZZIE4DUKE
01-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Interesting that the linked article doesn't mention that he was Duke's head coach or DC before that, but does mention his stint at GT as a defensive coach.

adam
01-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Reading through the comments on ESPN about this article, MN fans are sad to see him (Roof) go. The Minnesota defense greatly improved this year under Roof.

Here's an excerpt from the article, along with the link for the full story...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3814506

After arriving in February, Roof transformed a defense that ranked last nationally in yards allowed and set school records for futility in 2007. The Gophers led the Big Ten in takeaways (30) and produced two All-Big Ten selections before struggling down the stretch. "Our defense improved a great deal under Coach Roof this past season," Brewster said. "Good coaches are always going to be in demand and I wish Ted the best of luck in the future."

Devilsfan
01-06-2009, 09:44 PM
Coaching in the SEC is a step up from being in Minn. He's always been a very good defensive coach. Good luck and best wishes Ted.
That said I'm glad as hell we have Coach Cut and his staff on the sidelines.

OldPhiKap
01-07-2009, 09:29 AM
I will always be appreciative of the work Ted did here and I wish him the best of luck in all future endeavors.

calltheobvious
01-07-2009, 10:17 AM
The obvious public pressures notwithstanding, this is a good move for Roof. For all of Chizik's flaws (and he has many), he's a very good defensive coach, and none of his defenses is ever going to be less than very good, provided decent talent. Auburn's strength is certainly on the defensive side of the ball, so Roof will have plenty to work with.

2008 Auburn defensive coordinator Paul Rhodes, now the Iowa State head coach, proved that good work will be recognized even if it's taking place on the Titanic. There are certainly far better circumstances to come into, but Roof's learned a lot of lessons about 'fit' and I'm sure he weighed his options carefully.

Devil in the Blue Dress
01-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Interesting move after only one year, maybe it was the weather. Best of luck to him again, I don't see the benefit though.
Minnesota's offensive coordinator is also leaving though his next job is not as clearly defines as Ted's is. There may be more than the weather involved here.

I'd agree with other posters that getting into the SEC is a step up. Ted's roots are in the southeast. Who knows what doors will open later?

AuburnDukeGirl
01-07-2009, 02:13 PM
Actually after reading most Auburn boards I think the fans are excited or at least optimistic about the Ted Roof hire. I know I'm excited to see him come to Auburn. He seems like a good coach and someone the players respect and want to play for.

The tide has turned, if you will, on the feelings on the Chizik hire. After he hired Gus Malzahn as Offensive Coordinator and kept one of our former players/now assistant coach Willis, people started to get on board with Chizik. There are a few stragglers but there always will be in any fanbase.

We'll see what happens, but right now everything is pretty optimistic on the Plains. And never underestimate what an embarrassing loss for the Crimson Tide will do. That's had everyone dancing in the streets for the last few days!:D