PDA

View Full Version : MBB Starting Lineup speculation 2009-10

Hancock 4 Duke
01-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Who do you think could possibly be the starters next year (Considering Singler Doesnt go to The NBA). I think that it will be: Smith-Singler-Williams(or scheyer sometimes)-Henderson-Thomas

Oriole Way
01-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Who do you think could possibly be the starters next year (Considering Singler Doesnt go to The NBA). I think that it will be: Smith-Singler-Williams(or scheyer sometimes)-Henderson-Thomas

It would be pure lunacy for Scheyer not to start. Zoubek is making a strong case to be the starting 5 next season.

As of right now, I would go with Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek.

You will most likely get at least one poster admonishing you for not appreciating this current season's team, and saying that it's too early to project next season's lineup.

MChambers
01-05-2009, 04:41 PM

Most of us here prefer to assume that it will be the same starters as this year, given that we don't have a senior starter. After the NBA draft, we will reconsider.

Tim1515
01-05-2009, 04:44 PM

I'm confused?...you're of the assumption that if Singer and Hendo stay the lineup will be...

Nolan-Williams-Hendo-Singer-Thomas

even though the current starting lineup will all still be on the roster?

Nolan-Scheyer-Hendo-Singer-Zoubek

jv001
01-05-2009, 05:02 PM

Why would you replace Zoubs with Thomas and Jon with Williams? I don't get it. Thomas is not playing as well as Zoubs and Williams is not close to being the player Jon is. I know the season is early and Thomas and Williams can improve, but so far we have not seen that improvement. Plus we have Kelly and Mason coming is as freshmen. We don't know where they fit in yet. I'm just going to concentrate on this years team and enjoy the ride. Go Duke!

Devilsfan
01-05-2009, 05:06 PM
I hope I'm wrong but Singler is so much better than any of his teammates I don't see him staying for another year. He looks like he's born to play basketball and Duke was a great choice for a couple of years to be mentored by the best coach on the planet.

TaiAdmiral
01-05-2009, 05:07 PM
And of course...we have the John Wall scenario to think about...

CameronCrazy'11
01-05-2009, 05:31 PM
Scheyer, Henderson, and Singler are absolute locks to start. John Wall would start over Nolan, but unless he comes Nolan's definitely starting the point. Mason Plumlee might dislodge Zoubek, but I wouldn't put money on it.

Tim1515
01-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Scheyer, Henderson, and Singler are absolute locks to start. John Wall would start over Nolan, but unless he comes Nolan's definately starting the point. Mason Plumlee might dislodge Zoubek, but I wouldn't put money on it.

CameronCrazy is right. I'm assuming you locked in Elliot to start over Jon this year too right? Mason over Z and/or LT?...not going to happen. Mason, just like his brother Miles...will need some time to adjust.

Also shocked to hear someone say Wall would be a lock to start over Nolan. Read the end of the Wall thread to why i doubt that would happen...most important being that Wall's high school team is barely above .500.

CameronCrazy'11
01-05-2009, 05:47 PM
CameronCrazy is right. I'm assuming you locked in Elliot to start over Jon this year too right? Mason over Z and/or LT?...not going to happen. Mason, just like his brother Miles...will need some time to adjust.

Also shocked to hear someone say Wall would be a lock to start over Nolan. Read the end of the Wall thread to why i doubt that would happen...most important being that Wall's high school team is barely above .500.

Eh, I don't think Wall's necessarily a lock to start over Nolan. However, there are NBA teams that would love to have Wall running point for them next year, but for the one and done rule. Nolan's not quite at the level yet. Nolan would still get at least 25 a game though. He's just too good to keep off the court.

Tim1515
01-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Eh, I don't think Wall's necessarily a lock to start over Nolan. However, there are NBA teams that would love to have Wall running point for them next year, but for the one and done rule. Nolan's not quite at the level yet. Nolan would still get at least 25 a game though. He's just too good to keep off the court.

There are NBA teams that would love to draft Wall for 2 reasons. First is because too many people assume he's Derrick Rose...he's not. Rose has a win at all cost mentality and is a leader. Wall might be able to become that but right now he's just flash. The second reason is potential. The team that would draft Wall would know they're in for a few down years.

Duke doesn't have that luxury of being down for a few years. Now i'm not saying Wall couldn't really help Duke...he absolutely could. But for all his flash and athleticism...he's not a winner right now in high school...how can that be possible? There is something missing in his game right now that can help lead his team to victory...That "something" is what Nolan realized coming into this season after not playing much last year.

Wall will need to learn to play in a structured system on offense and defense. He will need to learn to cut back bad turnovers also. He could be a difference maker for next year's Duke team...but i think he'll need to do it from the bench...unless he learns really quick or Hendo leaves.

CameronCrazy'11
01-05-2009, 06:35 PM
I donno. I think he is that good. All the talent evaluators seem to think he's a top 5 prospect, if not the top one. How many top 10 prospects over the past few years haven't started? The only one I can think of is Ed Davis.

Also, Nolan's still developing point skills whereas Wall is a pure point.

Hancock 4 Duke
01-05-2009, 06:36 PM
I kinda like elliot, which is why I put him before scheyer. Don't get me wrong, Scheyer ais a real playmaker, but Elliot's kinda cool. And I'm not really putting John Wall into consideration because still nobody knows where he will commit to. He still has about a year to decide, so. But he WOULD be awesome. And Thomas, I do like Zoubs, but he doesn't play as well against ACC teams as he does against out-of-conference team like Loyola, for example. He got his career high in points, but against VT, he was in foul trouble in the first couple minutes. But That's just my opinion, so feel free to correct me anytime.

CameronCrazy'11
01-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I kinda like elliot, which is why I put him before scheyer. Don't get me wrong, Scheyer ais a real playmaker, but Elliot's kinda cool. And I'm not really putting John Wall into consideration because still nobody knows where he will commit to. He still has about a year to decide, so. But he WOULD be awesome. And Thomas, I do like Zoubs, but he doesn't play as well against ACC teams as he does against out-of-conference team like Loyola, for example. He got his career high in points, but against VT, he was in foul trouble in the first couple minutes. But That's just my opinion, so feel free to correct me anytime.

There's a reason Scheyer's plus-minus is the highest on the team. He's so good on offense, even when he's not scoring himself, and his defense is really quite spectacular. In the opinion of myself and many others, he's one of, if not the most underrated player in college basketball, but we've had that discussion already. Scheyer is way way too good to keep out of the starting line-up. Email's great, but he's not gonna be better than a senior Scheyer.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
01-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Depth chart (with players in all positions they might play):

PG: Nolan, Jon, (Wall?)
SG: Jon, G, Email, Marty
SF: G, Jon, Email, Lance, Kelly, Marty
PF: Singler, Lance, Plumlee, Kelly, Czyz
C: Z, Plumlees, Lance, Kelly

If no one leaves or signs: Nolan, Jon, G, Kyle, Z with Email, Lance, and 1-2 of Plumlees/Kelly getting major minutes).

I expect we'll lose Marty and either G or Kyle (but hopefully not both) With those losses and no signing: Nolan, Jon, Email, G/Kyle, Z with Lance and 2-3 of Plumlees/Kelly getting major minutes.

If we lose what I expect and add Wall: Wall, Nolan, Jon, G/Kyle, Z with Email, Lance, and 1-2 of Plumlees/Kelly getting major minutes.

And the dream lineup: Wall, Nolan, Jon, G, Kyle with Z, Email, Lance, and 1-2 of Plumlees/Kelly getting major minutes. This team can adjust to matchups with a lot of big guys and several versatile guards/wings. I hope we could force our smallball styler on other teams a la 2001, but we would be protected at every position from injury and foul trouble and wouldn't be relying on any player to step up or come out of the gate firing.

geraldsneighbor
01-05-2009, 07:05 PM
Why would G or Kyle leave if they aren't a lock to be a lottery pick? Unless we are cutting the nets down in April, they'll be back.

PG: Nolan Smith
SG: Jon Scheyer
3G: Gerald Henderson
4F: Kyle Singler
C: Brian Zoubek

If everyones back, everyone will start. If to get Wall he has to start, I start him and move Kyle to the 5. Then sub a big man in early. Problem solved. Nolan and Wall would get 25 minutes still, and its all good.

Tim1515
01-05-2009, 07:17 PM

lol...no offense but this is a pretty awful argument. You think Elliot should start next year because he's cool? Jon is one of the best 2 players on this team with Singler. No he can't dunk with his elbow but he's a better basketball player right now.

Same can be said about Z. How can you make the comment that he disappears against ACC teams when he's only played 1? And...if you're referring to last year it's not like LT set the world on fire.

ddsdevil
01-05-2009, 07:59 PM
If everyone comes back, and I don't think that will be impossible, we will have a loaded team.

Start:
Nolan
Scheyer
Hendy
Singler
Zoubs

Bench:
Mason
Miles
Olek
Kelly
E-Will
Lance

Our bench guys would start for many ACC teams. I feel really good about that team.

BlueintheFace
01-05-2009, 08:09 PM

uhhh ..... "kinda cool" isn't on Coach K's checklist for picking starters

jv001
01-05-2009, 09:46 PM
lol...no offense but this is a pretty awful argument. You think Elliot should start next year because he's cool? Jon is one of the best 2 players on this team with Singler. No he can't dunk with his elbow but he's a better basketball player right now.

Same can be said about Z. How can you make the comment that he disappears against ACC teams when he's only played 1? And...if you're referring to last year it's not like LT set the world on fire.

And Zoubs was hurt last year and is now getting over those injuries. Lance played well but not great. This year Zoubs is playing better. Go Duke!

Devilsfan
01-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Enjoy Singler he's what we have been spoiled by at Duke. Unfortunately I don't see another Singler on the near horizon. That's just my opinion.

DukeDevilDeb
01-05-2009, 09:56 PM

Let's just hope that Coach K doesn't decide his starting lineup by who is COOL!!!:eek: And after last night, how can you say that (1) Zoubs doesn't play well against ACC teams (by the way, you haven't seen him against ACC teams except for last night), and (2) Thomas??? I love Lance, but we're in trouble if we have to start him as our big. Last night, Lance shot twice from the floor and missed both. Against Loyola, he missed 6 free throws! He had 3 fouls pretty quickly, he had a total of 1 rebound (as compared to Kyle and G's 8 each, McClure 5, and Zoubs 4), and he had two turnovers... all in 12 minutes.

Again, I love Lance. He makes an important contribution to the team. But unless something happens to Brian, there isn't a chance in heck that Lance will start over him.

And why in the world am I answering a post on next year's starters in January? :confused:

mgtr
01-06-2009, 12:06 AM
I love Lance, but we're in trouble if we have to start him as our big. Last night, Lance shot twice from the floor and missed both.

He missed both by a bunch -- they weren't even close. Unfortunately, we have two players, Lance and McClure, who, while great in many areas, frequently cannot hit the broad side of a barn. We absolutely cannot have both in at the same time.
I guess we are now looking at the following rotation: EWill for Hendo (reasonable), Thomas for Zoubek (OK, best twe can do right now, Paulus for Smith -- jury still out, Paulus not at last season't form, and McClure for whomever -- he can sub for a bunch of different people. Singler and Scheyer stay in for most of the game.
That gives a nine man rotation, with others waiting in the wings, ready to be called to center stage. Pocius doesn't seem to make contribution when he is in, regardless of how popular he is. Plumlee1 comes in and seems a little overwhelmed by the whole process. Czyz is clearly not ready for Prime Time TV.
This gives us a practical eight man rotation. By tournament time, we can possibly extend that to nine (Plumlee, I hope, I hope, I hope). IO don't see us going a whole lot deeper than that.
This is not a popular view -- people want to see MArty perform. Well, I do too, but he hasn't yeat.
Other possibilities -- well, I suppose that CZYZ could move up to a small roe, but I wonder.