PDA

View Full Version : Louisville 74, Kentucky 71

RainingThrees
01-04-2009, 06:48 PM
74-71 Louisville with 10 seconds left. Another big game for Meeks 28 points.

RainingThrees
01-04-2009, 06:53 PM
And thats game 74 to 71 Louisville. How were they ever ranked 3rd?

juise
01-04-2009, 07:06 PM
It's good to see Edgar Sosa finish the game strong. He had a great game against Texas A&M as a freshman in 2007 NCAA Tournament. He had since faded into obscurity a bit, which I had found to be curious (though I don't follow Louisville closely).

DukeFencer
01-04-2009, 10:40 PM
That was a ridiculous ending with the two quick turnovers from UL and Kentucky to tie - and the final 3-pointer was a beauty! A whole lot of excitement in just one minute -- I love basketball season!

ArkieDukie
01-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Dear Arkansas AD, Please sign John Pelphrey to a VERY lucrative contract. Very soon. Please.

ACCBBallFan
01-05-2009, 01:06 AM
Though neither Louisville nor UK is all that good this year, I do expect that in a very weak SEC, UK could challenge TN amd FL for the SEC championship:

028 5645 SEC Tennessee lost to Zaga, KU & Temple, beat Marq & G-town
032 4286 SEC Florida lost to Syr & FSU
050 4194 SEC Kentucky beat W VA and K-St, lost to Miami-FL, Louisv bad loss to VMI,
064 3442 SEC Arkansas lost to MO St, beat OKL & Austin Peay
066 3517 SEC So Carol lost to Charleston & Clemson, beat Baylor & Jax St
077 3687 SEC LSU lost to TX Tech, beat Wash St
079 3102 SEC Auburn beat UVA, GWU & MO St lost to Mercer& N Iowa
097 2806 SEC MS St lost to TX Tech, Cincy, Charl & San Diego, beat So Alab
104 2809 SEC Alabama beat GA Tech, St. Jos & lost to Mercer, Tx A&M & Oregon
106 3597 SEC Vandy lost to Ill-Chic & GA Tech, beat Drake
111 3570 SEC MS lost to W VA, So MS & New MX
134 2747 SEC Georgia beat VA T

geraldsneighbor
01-05-2009, 01:20 AM
I really couldn't fathom the way that game ended. UK tied it at 71 with probably 25 seconds left. Sosa proceeded to hold the ball and then just pull up for 3 with 5 seconds left. No real play call, but I guess it got the job done. I'm not sure if UK is that good, but I know L'ville has completely underachieved to start this season. I think they'll be there in March but they have some serious growing up to do, but the Big East isn't exactly where I would like to do that.

EasternDB
01-05-2009, 07:17 AM
I have watched UK a couple of times this year and they are not very good. Besides Patterson & Meeks, they have no other threats to score. They have way to many turnovers. My guess they will be a bubble team come March.

mgtr
01-05-2009, 07:22 AM
UK was much better under Tubby. What were they thinking? I know, lets get rid of a pretty good coach and then just roll the dice. Its beginning to look like they rolled craps.

ArkieDukie
01-05-2009, 08:09 AM
Though neither Louisville nor UK is all that good this year, I do expect that in a very weak SEC, UK could challenge TN amd FL for the SEC championship:

028 5645 SEC Tennessee lost to Zaga, KU & Temple, beat Marq & G-town
032 4286 SEC Florida lost to Syr & FSU
050 4194 SEC Kentucky beat W VA and K-St, lost to Miami-FL, Louisv bad loss to VMI,
064 3442 SEC Arkansas lost to MO St, beat OKL & Austin Peay
066 3517 SEC So Carol lost to Charleston & Clemson, beat Baylor & Jax St
077 3687 SEC LSU lost to TX Tech, beat Wash St
079 3102 SEC Auburn beat UVA, GWU & MO St lost to Mercer& N Iowa
097 2806 SEC MS St lost to TX Tech, Cincy, Charl & San Diego, beat So Alab
104 2809 SEC Alabama beat GA Tech, St. Jos & lost to Mercer, Tx A&M & Oregon
106 3597 SEC Vandy lost to Ill-Chic & GA Tech, beat Drake
111 3570 SEC MS lost to W VA, So MS & New MX
134 2747 SEC Georgia beat VA T

In all fairness, since AR lost to MO St, they picked up another player: Marcus Monk. He was a difference maker against Oklahoma. They also have a phenomenal point guard in Courtney Fortson. The Hogs look like a legitimate NCAA Tourney team.

should_be_working
01-05-2009, 09:36 AM
It's good to see Edgar Sosa finish the game strong. He had a great game against Texas A&M as a freshman in 2007 NCAA Tournament. He had since faded into obscurity a bit, which I had found to be curious (though I don't follow Louisville closely).

Edgar Sosa is an undeniable talent, and in my opinion the key to Louisville's success. His problem is that he doesn't play good defense (something Patino demands) and his confidence is all over the place. He is a little erratic on the court with his decision making in that he reacts more than thinks, and a lot of times pushes too hard. He often gets down on himself and the louisville fan base doesn't help much by usually being negative with him. The kid has offensive skills, but he needs to embrace the other aspects of his game. I, accidentally, know way too much about Louisville basketball. Oh and mark my words, by year's end, Louisville will be a team on the rise and could make an impressive run in March.

Here is an interesting tidbit from Patino on Edgar:
(On starting Edgar Sosa) "We had a long talk. I said `Edgar, if I were you I would transfer now. I wouldn't wait because you need a year under another coach to learn his system. I really think you should. The fans aren't too happy with you. More importantly if you are not happy with yourself, you're not having fun. I really think we'll look at some schools that don't play any defense. There aren't too many, but there are a few I can pick out. Then, we'll get you to transfer. I want you to think it over son. If you decide to come back, I am going to start you, but I want you to be happy and have fun playing the game of basketball. It's painful watching you.' He said to me, `Coach, I just feel that I am on a short leash. Everyone else is on a long leash and I am on a short one.' I said, `Edgar, the reason you are on a short leash is because every time you miss a shot, you get so down on yourself. I feel that you're not an up beat, positive guy. All I want you to do is play defense. I don't care what else you do, but play defense.' He decided to stay and I am happy he made that choice."
http://uoflsports.cstv.com/sports/m-baskbl/recaps/010409aae.html

jv001
01-05-2009, 11:56 AM
UK was much better under Tubby. What were they thinking? I know, lets get rid of a pretty good coach and then just roll the dice. Its beginning to look like they rolled craps.

Go Tubby & Minnesota. As far as Louisville and Kentucky, I wish they both could have lost. Go Duke!