PDA

View Full Version : Contenders and Bottom Feeders in ACC

gw67
01-04-2009, 10:05 AM
After Wake’s comeback win on the road last night, there are four ACC teams that clearly stand out – UNC, Duke, Clemson and Wake. Their combined record is 51-1 and all rank in the Top Ten of Massey’s compilation of 33 college basketball ratings. Unless disaster strikes, all four teams are going to easily win more than 20 games and make the NCAAT. I expect UNC and Duke to finish ahead of Clemson and Wake but the final conference records may be closer than many predicted.

At the other end of the conference, it appears that Virginia and Georgia Tech will bring up the rear and that their coaches may be on the hot seat. Tech has played a weak OOC schedule and has already lost five games. Virginia has played a number of good teams and beat Tech in their first ACC game, but they looked lifeless against Xavier and when you don’t have a lot of talent, you need to put forth good effort. Both teams should win 3-5 games in conference.

The remaining six teams can go either way. We should find out tonight whether Virginia Tech and BC can compete on the road against the top teams in the conference. Miami, Florida State and Maryland are capable of being competitive against the top teams on a given night but I suspect that only one will play well enough to make the NCAAT. The Wolfpack needs to find a backcourt or they may join Virginia and Georgia Tech at the bottom of the conference.

gw67

ice-9
01-04-2009, 10:13 AM
I expect two out of Miami, Florida State and Maryland to make the NCAA tournament. Right now, I think Miami and Maryland are in although Miami's inclusion is based more on preseason hype than actual accomplishment.

Ironically, the only way for the ACC to send more than 6 teams is if Virginia, Georgia Tech, and either BC/NC State remain horrifically bad so other teams can stack the required wins.

Tim1515
01-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I think NC State has a shot to be pretty good. I don't think they can play against UNC or Wake. Luckily they only have Duke once...and they could sneak that one out if things go well.

FSU plays UNC and Wake both only once...mark them down for the tournament.

Diddy
01-04-2009, 01:05 PM
I predicted the hot seats at UVA and GT a while ago, and I am happy that others are coming to that realization.

GT's seat will be very hot, but it could be cooled off considerably come March. Hewitt has a decent class assembled. Most importantly, the class addresses GT's weaknesses this year. But it is not a great class, and certainly not a class that can save his job. Unless Favors committs. A committ by Ga Stud Favors would save Hewitts job, for at least a season.

Because next season I see the ACC being more wide open. UNC, while talented, will be very young. Clemson also graduates some key players, same at Miami, which could really be snakebit by graduation.

Wake and Duke are also susceptible to early attrition. I think Wake is more vulnerable, with the high possibility of losing Johnson and Aminu. I expect Duke to lose at least one player to early entry, either G or Kyle, but I would not be shocked should we lose both (especially if we have a great March run).

Now, Duke, UNC, and Wake are currently set (before attrition) to be the cream of the conference next year, but the conf will be more wide open than in recent years, potentially. With Favors, GT would become one of the better teams on paper, and would almost certainly be in the top, NCAA bound group in the conf.

At UVA, that fool is gone. His constant beratement of his players has scared off recruits. He had a great relationship with E-Will, and Ed Davis grew up in his backyard. Missing on E-will stung because of the history there, but the Ed Davis miss was crushing. Pairing him with Landesburg would have made UVA dangerous this year, and deadly next year. He is a great X's and O's coach, but he lacks the personallity to draw the top recruits.

TigerTown
01-05-2009, 09:54 AM
Next year we'll lose Rivers (big loss) and Sykes....Potter has been very solid and likely takes the 3 spot and Jarai Grant who is looking like a solid ACC player now as a soph.

Add in some recruits like Jennings (may start at the 3 himself) and Booker (younger brother)...not so sure we'll fall too far next year.

FerryFor50
01-05-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm not 100% sold on Wake. I want to like them, but they haven't really played anyone THAT good yet, and they've struggled against some mediocre competition.

Hopefully they will prove me wrong against UNC. :D

hurleyfor3
01-05-2009, 11:01 AM
reminder: unc is winless in conference play

NYC Duke Fan
01-05-2009, 12:46 PM
I'm not 100% sold on Wake. I want to like them, but they haven't really played anyone THAT good yet, and they've struggled against some mediocre competition.

Hopefully they will prove me wrong against UNC. :D

Beating BYU on the road was impressive

FerryFor50
01-05-2009, 01:29 PM
Beating BYU on the road was impressive

I don't think it was that impressive. BYU isn't as good as they have been in previous years, IMO. Road game or not, beating a mediocre team isn't all that impressive.