PDA

View Full Version : Huge road win for Wake

The1Bluedevil
01-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Impressive victory for Wake in Provo. Teague is something special.

dukelifer
01-04-2009, 07:51 AM
Impressive victory for Wake in Provo. Teague is something special.

Wake will be a very tough match-up for Duke. Duke matches up much better with UNC. Wake biggest weakness is that they are young- but they are growing up very fast and getting tougher. Their D is a big question mark right now. If that comes around- who knows. They only get to play UNC once in the reguar season and that will be next week after a 8 day layoff! That is way too long in my opinion and coupled with the fact that all their players will be sky high for this game will likely hurt Wake in a big way- particularly in the second half. It will be interesting to watch but I think UNC wins that game. Wake will be a much better team come March.

bradjenk
01-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Wake will be a very tough match-up for Duke. Duke matches up much better with UNC. Wake biggest weakness is that they are young- but they are growing up very fast and getting tougher. Their D is a big question mark right now. If that comes around- who knows. They only get to play UNC once in the reguar season and that will be next week after a 8 day layoff! That is way too long in my opinion and coupled with the fact that all their players will be sky high for this game will likely hurt Wake in a big way- particularly in the second half. It will be interesting to watch but I think UNC wins that game. Wake will be a much better team come March.

I agree that they will be a tough matchup for both. Actually their defense is their strength. According to kenpom.com (before the BYU game) Wake led the nation in pts/possesion defense. When opponents are factored in they are ranked 8th in defense. Most of that is due to their great size. I think they will bother UNC with that size in the halfcourt and might keep them off the offensive boards. I think though that the combination of ballhandling issues/youth/big game excitement and the layoff you mentioned make your prediction of a UNC win an accurate one. Another reason for Wake's improvement is shot selection. Last year they only made 32% 3 pointers but shot 3's 33% of the time. This year they are making 34% but only shooting them 20% of the time. I even heard that one game when Gaudio was getting on L.D. Williams, he told him that "there's a reason they're leaving you open."

Oriole Way
01-04-2009, 02:20 PM
This Wake team has a ton of NBA talent. They have the talent to win the national title, they just have to learn to be consistent against top teams. The ACC season will tell us a lot about them. I'm very wary of our game in Winston-Salem, best chance of a loss for Duke outside of the Carolina games.

Kimist
01-05-2009, 12:32 AM
This Wake team has a ton of NBA talent. They have the talent to win the national title, they just have to learn to be consistent against top teams. The ACC season will tell us a lot about them. I'm very wary of our game in Winston-Salem, best chance of a loss for Duke outside of the Carolina games.

AGREED!

Lest we forget, many of the very best Duke teams have lost to Wake on its home court.

But on the brighter side, Wake frequently has unc's "number" also!:D

k

wisteria
01-05-2009, 12:55 AM
I will be rooting for Wake next week and a 0-2 ACC record for the Holes!