PDA

View Full Version : ACC Roundup 1/2/09 -- What's behind the stats

just_wondering
01-02-2009, 10:44 AM
The Washington Post article that is linked in the ACC Roundup discusses the improvements in Maryland's assist to turnover ratio.

A couple of points -- Adrian Bowie is the main ball handler most of the time so his stats are more pertinent. His assist/to is 1.4/1

Maryland catches and holds on to the ball much better than they did last year. One of Gary's goals going into the season was to get stronger. If they are holding on to the ball better than this might be an indication that the off season conditioning program was at least a partial success.

gw67
01-02-2009, 10:59 AM
My own thoughts on the better ball handling this year by the Terps:

They are playing three guards and Hayes/Bowie have relieved Vasquez of some of his ballhandling duties. While Vasquez is an extraordinary passer, he is more turnover prone than either Hayes or Bowie.
Last year, the Terps played inside-out and the guards often forced the ball inside sometimes causing a turnover. This year, the inside players often come out to meet the ball away from the basket.
Milbourne and Neal have better hands than Gist/Osby

The strengths of the Terps so far this year have been the play of the perimeter players, the shooting of the starting inside players and free throw shooting. Their weakness is obvious - the lack of size and strength inside. It will be very difficult for them to compete against ACC teams that have some size. I expect them to win 6-7 conference games (mostly at home) this year.

gw67

riverside6
01-02-2009, 11:42 AM
To put some numbers to this, Maryland turned the ball over last season (http://www.scacchoops.com/TeamStats.asp?season=2008) 23.4% of their possessions. This season (http://www.scacchoops.com/TeamStats.asp) it's down to 17.2%.

Duke has seen their TO% drop from 20.2% to 18.2%.

riverside6
01-02-2009, 11:44 AM
More numbers comparing Duke this season to last...

Off Reb %
07-08: 27.1%
08-09: 39.2%

Def Reb %
07-08: 70.8%
08-09: 77.9%

It will be interesting to see how this holds up in conference play.

just_wondering
01-02-2009, 11:49 AM
With both Jerome Burney and Steve Goins wearing soft casts the Terps are left with only 3 bodies one the front line -- Dave Neal, Braxton Dupree and Dino Gregory. Maryland is blessed with players that will do what it takes to win. Vasquez moved from point -- does he pout? No he decides to become the defensive stopper. The master alchemist will find a way for these guys to win without much of a front line. I see the Terps perhaps getting double digit conference wins. I haven't see the way but I have seen the will

They are playing three guards and Hayes/Bowie have relieved Vasquez of some of his ballhandling duties. While Vasquez is an extraordinary passer, he is more turnover prone than either Hayes or Bowie.
Last year, the Terps played inside-out and the guards often forced the ball inside sometimes causing a turnover. This year, the inside players often come out to meet the ball away from the basket.

The strengths of the Terps so far this year have been the play of the perimeter players, the shooting of the starting inside players and free throw shooting. Their weakness is obvious - the lack of size and strength inside. It will be very difficult for them to compete against ACC teams that have some size. I expect them to win 6-7 conference games (mostly at home) this year.

gw67

just_wondering
01-03-2009, 07:21 PM
It's only one data point but Charlotte out rebounded Clemson in their game. Maryland killed Charlotte on the boards. Shooting percentage [offense defense] is the key for Maryland. Maryland will have trouble with some match ups and the teams that Maryland plays will have trouble with match ups too. At the end the team that finds its comfort zone and hits shot will win

gw67

gw67
01-03-2009, 07:52 PM
j_w - Last year, the Terps would have lost today's game. Charlotte came out and played/shot very well for the first half. The Terps responded late in the first half by battling on the boards and in the second half they wore down Charlotte in an impressive win. Not only was the rebounding and passing by the perimeter players outstanding but they had one of their best runs with Vasquez on the bench.

The Terps continue to shoot well from the foul line but they need to shoot better from the field and the perimeter players need to continue their good play to be competitive in the ACC.

gw67