PDA

View Full Version : Duke 69, Virginia Tech 44

gw67
01-02-2009, 09:21 AM
I’m surprised that there is no discussion of the Devils’ first conference game this coming Sunday against Virginia Tech so I’ll start it off with a few thoughts.

• The Hokies return all but one starter from last year’s team and were thought to be one of the top 5-6 teams coming into this year. However, they suffered four close defeats, including a one point loss to Xavier in overtime and a two point loss to a strong Wisconsin team. They are 64th in the RPI and need a good conference season and a signature win or two to make the NCAAT, IMO.
• I consider Tech to be equivalent of any team the Devils have played this year plus they have the advantage of playing the Devils every year so the players and coach understand the way Duke plays.
• The top players for Tech are Vassallo, Delaney and Allen. Allen is a tough inside player and Vassallo and Delaney are excellent perimeter players. The problem has been finding two players to complement them. Thompson came on very strong last year but has been injured and only recently started playing. He is a very good rebounder who can score close to the basket and I would expect him to start over Davila or Diakite . Based on last year, I expected Thorns to again start in the backcourt along with Delaney. Thorns is short and quick and was a decent point guard at the end of last year. However, Delaney has been playing the point and Hudson has been in the backcourt opposite him.
• I expect a close and physical game. I further expect Tech to slow it down and depend on their big men to control the boards. The Devils have been an outstanding rebounding team to date but Tech appears to be the stronger team down low, IMO. The Devils will need to make Tech turn it over and then hit their shots. Tech is a good free throw shooting team so it is important not to foul (particularly their jump shooters).
• The Devils should win this game at home but it is far from a gimme considering the incentives for Tech.

gw67

brianl
01-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Enjoy your first trip to CIS. I'll never forget my first trip there. Thomas Hill started the game very hot and during the first TV timeout the crazies were chanting "State's got 5, T's got 11."

Cameron has to be the best venue to watch a sporting event.

RainingThrees
01-02-2009, 10:49 AM
Tech has to be the most unlucky team in the past 5 years with all the buzzer-beaters. Thankfully Washington is gone so I am hoping for fewer dirty plays and less drama.

camion
01-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Virginia Tech has shown an uncanny ability to play to the level of the opposition, or just slightly below. They should be a pretty good team, but haven't really shown it to this point. I'll go with the home team by 10 to 15.

Cameron
01-02-2009, 11:49 AM
This contest will be my first trip to Cameron for the season, and I simply cannot wait. I will be flying down from Columbus Sunday morning, catching a bite to eat at Elmo's diner, and then traveling through a spruce painted wonderland to our gothic cathedral.

As for the contest itself, I, too, hope it is drama-less and that we take the Hokies to the shed. I'm a bit of a greedy guy but I would like to see Greg hit about five or six triples, two from at least 30', and our team catch fire for 90 in its ACC opener. A statement game for the school eight miles away.

If I know Duke-Va Tech, however, this matchup won't see either side reach 90 -- or 80. I expect a closer game than most outside the ACC would expect.

We thought about skipping our flights out on Monday evening in order to stay and pickup the game versus Davidson on Wednesday, but, with how the Wildcats are playing and how less accommodating airlines have become lately, that doesn't seem as great an idea.

RainingThrees
01-02-2009, 11:57 AM
Not to greedy. I usually want us to go for 100 but this team is more defensive that last year so it wont happen to often.

UrinalCake
01-02-2009, 12:02 PM
The Hokies have been very tough for us since they joined the ACC. I don't have the stats in front of me but I would guess that they have won close to half the time, and some of Duke's victories were very narrow. I don't know if it's their particular style of play, or if Duke overlooks them, or what, but it will not be an easy out. They've never been intimidated by playing us.

I too am glad that Washington is gone, he was a disgrace. That highlight reel that ESPN showed last year with all of his flops was awesome, it's like they finally admitted that not every call made on Duke's opponents is solely the result of a Duke bias.

grossbus
01-02-2009, 12:04 PM
any nolan knee news?

BlueintheFace
01-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I have heard it suggested a number of times from friends that, should Nolan not play, Greg would remain on the bench while Scheyer moves to the point and Dave or E-will start the game. Is it just me or is this idea beyond ridiculous? Does anybody actually think this will happen?

UrinalCake
01-02-2009, 12:18 PM
OK I looked it up... according to Hokiesports.com, VT is 2-4 against Duke since 2004. This includes a 69-67 VT victory in OT, and of course the Dockery game.

Here's some video to get you fired up (even though Washington's not there any more)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DrgNEZ8VR8

UrinalCake
01-02-2009, 12:22 PM
I have heard it suggested a number of times from friends that, should Nolan not play, Greg would remain on the bench while Scheyer moves to the point and Dave or E-will start the game. Is it just me or is this idea beyond ridiculous? Does anybody actually think this will happen?

Whether or not it makes sense to do that talent-wise, I don't think Coach K would do that because it would absolutely destroy Paulus's confidence, which must already be hurt from not starting and also being hurt. Senior leadership is something Coach K has always emphasized as being equally if not more important than talent, so I think that Greg would start.

Besides, you can't tell me that having E-will in the game would be more beneficial to the team than Paulus, in terms of overall impact (positive and negative).

Cameron
01-02-2009, 12:59 PM
BlueintheFace, it's not just you. It would be beyond ridiculous if Greg took a back seat to Jon at the starting point guard slot. I like Jon as point guard, as I think he orchestrates the team very well in that capacity when called upon, but Greg is this team's backup point guard and should be treated as such.

I know a coach can't always play a guy just because he's a senior or whatever, but Greg has earned the right to be this team's second in command at the one. As another poster pointed out, if Greg's current role remained the same even with Nolan out, that would be devastating to his morale. Absolutely devastating. Our team needs Greg just as much as Greg needs to be called upon as this team's leader.

Of course, I hope all of this is a dead issue.

weezie
01-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Besides, you can't tell me that having E-will in the game would be more beneficial to the team than Paulus, in terms of overall impact (positive and negative).

While I agree that Greg would most likely start on Sunday,and should start, I believe that EWill is going to develop into a great Duke player. Albeit rarely, he's shown flashes of real talent. Maturity and a summer sweating it out in Durham will be paying some nice benefits this time next year. Plus, the UNC games are an initiation into a very select fraternity, whether played in or seen from the bench.

RainingThrees
01-02-2009, 02:11 PM
IF Nolan doesnt start Greg will. But I believe Nolan only needs 24 hours to recover and will be on limited minutes but will probably start.

Saratoga2
01-02-2009, 02:32 PM
BlueintheFace, it's not just you. It would be beyond ridiculous if Greg took a back seat to Jon at the starting point guard slot. I like Jon as point guard, as I think he orchestrates the team very well in that capacity when called upon, but Greg is this team's backup point guard and should be treated as such.

I know a coach can't always play a guy just because he's a senior or whatever, but Greg has earned the right to be this team's second in command at the one. As another poster pointed out, if Greg's current role remained the same even with Nolan out, that would be devastating to his morale. Absolutely devastating. Our team needs Greg just as much as Greg needs to be called upon as this team's leader.

Of course, I hope all of this is a dead issue.

Paulus is a tough kid and a team player, however, his play recently has regressed, with his last game being dismal in my estimation. If he is to be the true backup point guard, he needs to play like he can. When Scheyer plays point, we give up some of his scoring as he then concentrates on assists. We are better defensively with Scheyer as the backup point and McClure in the game though.

I think E-Will is showing signs of how good he can be but he also makes a lot of mistakes and needs to grow his game.

To win Sunday, we are going to need to hit our free throws. Thomas couldn't hit any one of six and we shot around 50 % in the last game. We have seen that Thomas can do the job, he must need to practice more or just be more confident.

jv001
01-02-2009, 02:44 PM

I certainly hope Nolan is ready to go against VT for a few reasons. Our offense runs smoother with Nolan at point and we get better on the ball defense. Nolan is shooting better than Greg right now. Plus it keeps Coach K from having to make a decision about who starts if Nolan cannot play.

Kedsy
01-02-2009, 03:08 PM
To win Sunday, we are going to need to hit our free throws. Thomas couldn't hit any one of six and we shot around 50 % in the last game.

I wouldn't be too worried about our team free throw shooting. Against Loyola, we missed four free throws towards the end of the 2nd half with a 30+ point lead, and if you take those away plus Lance's six misses, we shot over 82% for the game. Even if you count everything but Lance we hit over 70%. I agree that Lance needs to get his confidence back, but he had a game like this earlier in the year and bounced back pretty well from that one. The team (except for him) did not shoot poorly from the stripe against Loyola.

watzone
01-02-2009, 03:29 PM
Nolan Smith is ready to go for Duke -

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1546

RainingThrees
01-02-2009, 03:38 PM
Nolan Smith is ready to go for Duke -

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1546

Good news. Thanks man.

ncexnyc
01-02-2009, 04:45 PM
I look for this to be a close game as this is the same Va. Tech. team that went down to the wire with the Holes in last year's semi-final game.
Allen's a stud when he stays in the game and should be a solid test for our front court players.
I saw some trash talking earlier this season, with several members gloating over the Hokies early misfortunes, hopefully the karma they were laughing about won't in their favor turn on Sunday.

DukePA
01-02-2009, 05:01 PM
I'm not sure what time, but I prefer the surface lots because it takes forever to get out of the BC lot after games.

BlueintheFace
01-02-2009, 07:10 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/basketball/ncaa/01/02/Duke.Smith.ap/index.html

ricks68
01-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Boy, I can remember my first time in the Indoor Stadium. Vacendak hit for 23 in a losing cause to #1 Michigan. I got crushed into the corner by the mob trying to enter the stadium about 1-2 hours before tipoff. The line was about 4 people wide and went across the street and into the entrance to the quad. we weren't as orderly entering the stadium back then.:D

ricks

1Devil
01-02-2009, 09:10 PM
I think Zoubek teaches Allen a thing or two. You actually can teach size, but it can't be learned.

Glad Nolan will start and make moot the question of who starts at point in his absence. Many have yet to realize that Paulus is not really our backup point guard...he's a 2-guard off the bench (and one who's not been playing well, though I'll certainly take him ahead of Pocius).

longtimefan
01-02-2009, 10:23 PM
I had the opportunity to see v-tech play csu a few days ago.i don't know if they overlooked csu or not.csu had them on the ropes for a while.what i did notice about them they were out hustled by csu.they also couldn't stop warren csu's guard.they tried the zone and man to man with no effect.csu went cold for quite sometime probably the last five minutes of the first half. they were wide open for three's but couldn't make the shots.they were still only down one point with fifteen minutes to go in the second.if the same club shows up to play the devils.i see duke absolutely crushing them by 20-30 points easily.

watzone
01-02-2009, 11:52 PM
I think Zoubek teaches Allen a thing or two. You actually can teach size, but it can't be learned.

Glad Nolan will start and make moot the question of who starts at point in his absence. Many have yet to realize that Paulus is not really our backup point guard...he's a 2-guard off the bench (and one who's not been playing well, though I'll certainly take him ahead of Pocius).

Speaking of Zoubek and VT - some comments

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1552

Jim3k
01-03-2009, 12:44 AM
I had the opportunity to see v-tech play csu a few days ago.i don't know if they overlooked csu or not.csu had them on the ropes for a while.what i did notice about them they were out hustled by csu.they also couldn't stop warren csu's guard.they tried the zone and man to man with no effect.csu went cold for quite sometime probably the last five minutes of the first half. they were wide open for three's but couldn't make the shots.they were still only down one point with fifteen minutes to go in the second.if the same club shows up to play the devils.i see duke absolutely crushing them by 20-30 points easily.

There are those of us who believe, rightfully, that CSU refers to Colorado State University. Or...possibly Cleveland State...not likely Chicago State. Maybe in South Carolina Charleston State is csu, but nowhere else. ;)

Go Rams! Don't let some directional school try to steal your thunder!

CameronCrazy'11
01-03-2009, 04:19 AM
Is this game really not on TV??

Cameron
01-03-2009, 07:19 AM
The Va Tech game is on Fox Sports Net. Don't let the ESPN schedule fool you. It only provides the TV games affiliated with its network.

Anyone know why Duke Update now uses ESPN's version as its main schedule? Update always used to have Go Duke's listing, with all the nice TV and radio layouts. Not that its much more difficult to click on Go Duke, but I was just wondering.

1Devil
01-03-2009, 07:21 AM
Is this game really not on TV??

It's on FSN...the usual Sunday night gig.

Bluedog
01-03-2009, 01:40 PM

Anybody know what the heck happened to FSN in Chicago? I know it no longer exists, but I had thought Comcast SportsNet had all the rights to broadcast the hoops games. At least, I definitely recall watching ACC/Pac-10 Sunday Night hoops on it a few years ago... But on my listings, it has hockey listed at the time of the game. Blech! Probably will have to go to a bar....Looks like it's on FCSA?

grossbus
01-03-2009, 01:52 PM
"It's on FSN...the usual Sunday night gig."

which i now get as of last night!!!!!

OZZIE4DUKE
01-03-2009, 05:17 PM
The WHOLE Chem lot is ID? Or is it just that little bit? I swear that you can park there for $5. Am I wrong, Oz?

Oh, and P.S. don't park in the BC deck unless you're into walking around campus for an hour or so after the game... that or sitting in you idling car.

Yes, the entire Chem lot is ID parking. No, it doesn't get filled up. There is that tiny lot at the street that is not part of the Chem lot that is public parking.

CameronCrazy'11
01-03-2009, 05:42 PM
The Va Tech game is on Fox Sports Net. Don't let the ESPN schedule fool you. It only provides the TV games affiliated with its network.

Anyone know why Duke Update now uses ESPN's version as its main schedule? Update always used to have Go Duke's listing, with all the nice TV and radio layouts. Not that its much more difficult to click on Go Duke, but I was just wondering.

Thanks! I was about to throw a temper tantrum. I mean, c'mon, we're Duke, we're supposed to be on TV.

johnb
01-04-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm glad that Washington's gone, but I will see Vatech as a thug team until Greenberg (somehow) convinces me that he doesn't endorse/condone/encourage behavior that is dangerous to the other team and injurious to the reputations and personal development of his own players. A little sanctimonious, perhaps, but I will root for them to lose every ACC game by 30--unless a victory would be helpful to us.

Carlos
01-04-2009, 02:37 PM
I look for this to be a close game as this is the same Va. Tech. team that went down to the wire with the Holes in last year's semi-final game.
Allen's a stud when he stays in the game and should be a solid test for our front court players.
I saw some trash talking earlier this season, with several members gloating over the Hokies early misfortunes, hopefully the karma they were laughing about won't in their favor turn on Sunday.

Not quite the same team as they lost uberthug Deron and they may not have the services of Hank Thorns, their backup point guard who has a knee injury.

People like to point out that this team was down to the wire against UNC last year (it should also be noted that they took Clemson to the wire as well) but they also were the same team that lost to UNC by 40 points too. This year they've yet to beat anyone who Sagarin has in his top 100 teams, although their win over St. John's looks a little better after yesterday.

Right now, their most impressive games have been the St. John's win and the close loss to Xavier. That's not much to stand on especially since it looks like Xavier was overvalued. (Xavier's a solid team but I don't see them as top 10 material at the end of the season.) On the other hand, their wins have been underwhelming. They squeaked by Gardner-Webb by just 3 points, Mt. St. Mary's by 5, Elon by 9, Navy by 9, Columbia by 12, and Charleston Southern by 9. Whoever said that these guys play up to the level of their competition was right, although they've yet to face off against a top 10 team this season.

El_Diablo
01-04-2009, 05:53 PM

Is it streamed online anywhere?

loran16
01-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Of Note: People in New York (Or at least with Cablevision)...the tv scheduling states that New Jersey Devils Pregame will be on from 730-8, with the duke game at 8.

Not sure if they're going to delay the broadcast by 15 minutes or jump in 15 minutes in, but be prepared to be pissed off.

riverside6
01-04-2009, 06:26 PM
For those interested in our live stats, here's the link for Duke/VT (http://www.scacchoops.com/ViewHDGame.asp?hSchedule=1968).

The efficiency predicted score has Duke winning 78-63. My feeling is that if it's that low scoring it will be a closer game.

Newton_14
01-04-2009, 06:34 PM
Holes down 6 at the half, go BC!

TheBrianZoubekExperience
01-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I'm expecting a big game out of Z. If anyone has a stream that would be much appreciated because I'm in NYC and can't watch anywhere here and don't want to miss a single game....Thanks!

SMO
01-04-2009, 07:18 PM
Of Note: People in New York (Or at least with Cablevision)...the tv scheduling states that New Jersey Devils Pregame will be on from 730-8, with the duke game at 8.

Not sure if they're going to delay the broadcast by 15 minutes or jump in 15 minutes in, but be prepared to be pissed off.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be rooting for the NHL game to be settled in regulation!

jpfrizzle
01-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Go DUKE ! ! ! !

RainingThrees
01-04-2009, 07:57 PM
Good start so far 11-2 duke 16 min to go in the first half.

DevilAlumna
01-04-2009, 08:11 PM
Really, a celebration that gets a technical, when you've only scored the 2nd bucket in 8+ minutes? HAHAHA!

ChrisP
01-04-2009, 08:15 PM
Is this one FUGLY game so far? No flow at all...

FireOgilvie
01-04-2009, 08:19 PM
I absolutely can't stand FSN's coverage of college basketball. They think they need to be creative with their camera angles... showing the game from the student section or from under the basket on the other end of the court. Just stick to the sideline camera!

RelativeWays
01-04-2009, 08:23 PM
I forgot how thuggish VT was, even without Deron Washington.

DevilAlumna
01-04-2009, 08:24 PM
I absolutely can't stand FSN's coverage of college basketball. They think they need to be creative with their camera angles... showing the game from the student section or from under the basket on the other end of the court. Just stick to the sideline camera!

They're also painfully slow updating the score. Really, it's that hard??

RainingThrees
01-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Smith to singler, singler lays it off to Henderson for the MONSTER JAM!!

CameronCrazy'11
01-04-2009, 08:27 PM
offensive foul and a basket? What?

Ben63
01-04-2009, 08:31 PM

Agreed. Every time they show a student section shot that one person puts his/her arm up and you cant see the basket. ANNOYING!!!

rthomas
01-04-2009, 08:33 PM
These camera angles are terrible!!!

Newton_14
01-04-2009, 08:33 PM
This is the absolute worst television coverage I have ever seen for an ACC game. I feel like I have missed half of the key plays?? Did Paulus's 3 get near the goal? Saw the release and then a screen full of arms???

horrible (the coverage)

Ben63
01-04-2009, 08:39 PM
They should lock on the TV angle and NOT go to baseline or student section unless it is a replay. This is pathetic...and we have to listen to Tim Brando. ugh

DevilAlumna
01-04-2009, 08:41 PM
Good thing that Dockery-like shot by the VT player at the end of the half didn't count. It was pretty, tho.

slower
01-04-2009, 08:42 PM
should be caned.

KyDevilinIL
01-04-2009, 08:44 PM
Ugh. We kinda look like dirt on offense. Not too comfortable with the eight-point lead.

Lulu
01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Seriously, how does FSN's coverage manage to actually get worse every year? It sounds like a sarcastic, rhetorical question, but no, it's not.

jipops
01-04-2009, 08:45 PM
Halftime now... Not feeling too warm and fuzzy with the 3 fouls on Zoubek and Thomas already. Lance is having a lot of trouble just maintaining possession of the ball let alone finishing. I have a feeling foul issues are going to keep this one tight and we're in for an ugly ride in the 2nd. Defense seems to have disappeared the last 10 minutes of the 1st half.

superdave
01-04-2009, 08:49 PM
We seem to be waiting for an opening that never appears. There's a not a lot of flow on offense. I guess the credit should go to VT's game plan - hope Duke can adjust.

riverside6
01-04-2009, 08:56 PM
Well, so far the 78-64 efficiency predicted score is looking pretty dead on. We'll see how the second half goes.

Duke is really only winning this game because they're shooting a better percentage from the field. They are losing in TO% and Offensive and Defensive Rebounding %. In other words, this game can turn very easily on the Blue Devils if they don't address these areas.

riverside6
01-04-2009, 09:01 PM
well, so far so bad in those areas...let's see what happens after this timeout

jipops
01-04-2009, 09:01 PM
This doesn't look good. We seemed to have lost any ability to defend these guys.

riverside6
01-04-2009, 09:06 PM
So, Duke hits the offensive glass nicely for that stretch.

SMO
01-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Anyone notice how much more fluid the offense looks with Z in the game? Ever think you'd see that?

Coballs
01-04-2009, 09:13 PM
The announcer just called Zoubs "Greg Zoubek". Last week, some other clown announcer pronounced Pocius "poat-suwees". What's wrong with these guys?

superdave
01-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Nolan just got in the lane and got Singler an easy shot. I'd like to see more of that.

I like the offensive rebounding so far this half.

Duke's D is not very intense tonight.

SMO
01-04-2009, 09:18 PM
The announcer just called Zoubs "Greg Zoubek". Last week, some other clown announcer pronounced Pocius "poat-suwees". What's wrong with these guys?

He must have thinking Greg Koubek. Was it Gminski that called him that?

riverside6
01-04-2009, 09:20 PM
Anyone notice how much more fluid the offense looks with Z in the game? Ever think you'd see that?

Just an FYI, Zoubek's usage rate of 24% is currently the highest for Duke for this game.

Singler is second at 22%

SMO
01-04-2009, 09:24 PM
Just when I think Scheyer is having a quiet game he sets himself up for a give and go and get the "and one". Beautiful!

FireOgilvie
01-04-2009, 09:25 PM
I hate missing key plays because Fox Sports has a cameraman in the student section. This is unbelievable. Someone needs to be fired.

Coballs
01-04-2009, 09:28 PM
He must have thinking Greg Koubek. Was it Gminski that called him that?

Yeah, it probably was the G-man. He's forgiven.

huied
01-04-2009, 09:28 PM
Would have loved to see that fast break from a good camera angle.:mad:

RainingThrees
01-04-2009, 09:29 PM
25 to 7 run for Duke. 64-42. Tearing em up!!

RainingThrees
01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
As of now Singler has 19 points 8 rebounds and 6 assists. damn.

superdave
01-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Duke's depth is nice - Nolan got a good five minutes rest while Paulus played lock down D.

They have another gear than they had last year - or maybe it's a killer instinct.

Zoubek has played some nice minutes tonight.

Singler has made some heady plays - stickbacks, strong post moves, dives on the floor - that got us going while we looked flat.

Travi_K
01-04-2009, 09:34 PM
Worst Camera work I have ever seen in a long time for a college basketball game. I keep wanting to take that persons hand that is popping up in front of the camera and throw it to the side. Very odd angles and missing action.

RelativeWays
01-04-2009, 09:34 PM
I really dislike Greenberg, even more than Huckleberry Hound

Coballs
01-04-2009, 09:35 PM
I just love putting it on VT. Got no love for that program.

RelativeWays
01-04-2009, 09:36 PM
These refs are not with it today

superdave
01-04-2009, 09:40 PM
13 points in the 2nd half so far for VT.

They would not have fallen apart like that last year -who all did they lose? Deron Washington?

Newton_14
01-04-2009, 09:41 PM
Worst Camera work I have ever seen in a long time for a college basketball game. I keep wanting to take that persons hand that is popping up in front of the camera and throw it to the side. Very odd angles and missing action.

Not to beat a dead horse but it could not get any worse. It's like they have a rookie producer selecting which camera's to show the action on. And many key moments missed while showing the bench or the crowd or anything but the action on the floor..

Just need to know who to send the complaint email to..

superdave
01-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Not to beat a dead horse, but I have missed a dozen plays because of the camera work.

Duke's offensive rebounding was like when a great fb team controls the game by keeping the other team's O off the field.

SMO
01-04-2009, 09:42 PM
13 points in the 2nd half so far for VT.

They would not have fallen apart like that last year -who all did they lose? Deron Washington?

They were in many top 25 lists pre-season. They look like they're missing their heart. That has to be tough to take for a fiery guy like Greenberg.

Newton_14
01-04-2009, 09:45 PM
13 2nd half points. Now that is Duke Defense.

What a great night!!!

Thank you BC and way to turn the heat up Duke!!!

NashvilleDevil
01-04-2009, 09:48 PM
13 points, that is some serious second half defense and a great way to start ACC play

SMO
01-04-2009, 09:49 PM
13 2nd half points. Now that is Duke Defense.

What a great night!!!

Thank you BC and way to turn the heat up Duke!!!

Holding an ACC opponent under 50 is terrific! Great D tonight!

FireOgilvie
01-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Only 4 points for VT in the last 11 minutes of the game. Awesome. Great way to start conference play.

RainingThrees
01-04-2009, 09:51 PM
Its over, 13 points for VT in the 2nd half. Singler has to be the player of the game.

RainingThrees
01-04-2009, 09:53 PM
So are we now #2 when the rankings come out?

duketaylor
01-04-2009, 09:54 PM
UNC gets beat at home and Duke shows a little muscle when it looked vulnerable. Lots to like tonight. Especially impressed with Nolan's play and always impressed with Kyle's play. Saw Duke play some zone in the 2nd half, match-up zone which made it look like man-to-man, except for the switch-offs. I think we'll see a fair amount of that going forward, especially with Zoubs on the floor. I told my daughter, as long as VPI stayed within 12 I was concerned, when the lead grew I just sat back and enjoyed;)

K seemed pretty fired up tonight, I like that.

Lots to enjoy this evening. GO DUKE!!! GTHC, GTH!!

CameronCrazy'11
01-04-2009, 10:01 PM
13 second half points for V-Tech! 13! That's unheard of.

jpfrizzle
01-04-2009, 10:18 PM
A list of bad things:
The announcer woman(Antonelli) talked about UNC in the beginning.
FoxSports camera angles.
Duke's playing in the 1st half.
again, FoxSports camera angles.
Coach K chewing their asses out.
All the UNC talk during half time.
FoxSports having a channel blackout.*(the epic fail)

i may have missed some things, but thats only because I was seeing red tonight!!

duketaylor
01-04-2009, 10:24 PM
When, if, at all, did they announce the unc final score? As I listened on my way home from work and unc lost, I switched to fm radios Duke broadcast and they didn't mention the final score in chapel hell. What happened in CIS, if anything?

jpfrizzle
01-04-2009, 10:27 PM
they couldnt stop talking about UNC's loss. we were tortured with that outcome.