PDA

View Full Version : Charting Duke vs. Loyola

Jumbo
12-31-2008, 07:36 PM
True to his word, Coach K experimented with a bunch of different lineup combinations. Of course, some of that was out of necessity, due to Nolan Smith's injury. Duke did a good job replacing him, though. In fact, Duke's top two lineups featured Jon Scheyer at the point. Other highlights included Brian Zoubek keeping up his streak of top-notch +/- performances and Dave McClure joining the mix with outstanding stats. Anyway, on to the numbers ...

Individuals
Jon Scheyer 69-30 (+39)
Gerald Henderson 66-32 (+34)
Kyle Singler 62-28 (+34)
Dave McClure 49-18 (+31)
Brian Zoubek 44-16 (+28)
Greg Paulus 44-32 (+12)
Elliot Williams 30-21 (+9)
Nolan Smith 16-7 (+9)
Olek Czyz 10-4 (+6)
Marty Pocius 26-23 (+3)
Lance Thomas 25-25 (0)
Miles Plumlee 19-19 (0)

Per 40 Minutes
Dave McClure +68.9
Brian Zoubek +65.9
Nolan Smith +60
Jon Scheyer +57.8
Kyle Singler +56.7
Gerald Henderson +48.6
Olek Czyz +48
Elliot Williams +24
Greg Paulus +20.9
Marty Pocius +9.2
Lance Thomas 0
Miles Plumlee 0

Lineups
Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler-Zoubek (x2) 19-4 (+15)
Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Singler 8-2 (+6)
Smith-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 10-5 (+5)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Zoubek 7-2 (+5)
Paulus-Pocius-Williams-Czyz-Plumlee 6-2 (+4)
Paulus-Williams-Henderson-Singler-Thomas (x2) 3-0 (+3)
Paulus-Scheyer-Pocius-Singler-Zoubek 6-3 (+3)
Smith-Scheyer-Williams-Singler-Thomas 3-0 (+3)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler 4-2 (+2)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Plumlee 2-0 (+2)
Paulus-Henderson-McClure-Czyz-Thomas 2-0 (+2)
Smith-Scheyer-Pocius-Henderson-Singler 3-2 (+1)
Scheyer-Pocius-McClure-Thomas-Plumlee 1-0 (+1)
Paulus-Scheyer-Henderson-Singler-Zoubek 2-2 (0)
Paulus-Pocius-McClure-Czyz-Thomas 2-2 (0)
Scheyer-Williams-Henderson-McClure-Thomas 0-0 (0)
Paulus-Scheyer-Pocius-Henderson-Singler 0-2 (-2)
Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler-Thomas 4-6 (-2)
Paulus-Williams-Henderson-Thomas-Plumlee 2-5 (-3)
Paulus-Pocius-Williams-Thomas-Plumlee 8-12 (-4)

Bob Green
12-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Scheyer-Henderson-McClure-Singler-Zoubek (x2) 19-4 (+15)

Hopefully, Nolan Smith makes a quick recovery but if he has to sit for a while it appears that Scheyer running the point and McClure playing small forward is a viable option.

DevilHorse
12-31-2008, 09:07 PM
Hey Jumbo,

I don't look in on the stats every game, but how often do we have a game where there are no players with no net negative contributions? That is impressive, or at least top to bottom domination.

Also unusual is that the top 3 for the un-normalized stats and the top 2 for the normalized stats make up the most potent 5 man team we had out there. I'll have to go to the tape and see why they worked so well together.

You've got to like how McClure's presence seemed to be a catalyst.

Larry
DevilHorse

jv001
12-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Hey Jumbo,

You've got to like how McClure's presence seemed to be a catalyst.

Larry
DevilHorse

McClure is healthy and playing very well. Looks like if Nolan misses any time he may break into the starting lineup. I hate to see Lance stop coming off the bench. Another note, Greg seems to be pressing and not playing up to his usual standard of play. Then again he may not be fully recovered from his injuries. Go Duke!

mgtr
01-01-2009, 10:51 AM
McClure always amazes me that he seems to be in the right place at the right time. Even though he is normally an offensive liability, I am always happy to see him out there. If he should start hitting some shots, and I expect he will eventually, he will really be a potent force off the bench.

COYS
01-01-2009, 11:24 AM
I'm a huge fan of the Zoubs, Singler, McClure, Hendo, Scheyer lineup. It allows us to go pretty big without sacrificing quickness and explosiveness on both the offensive and defensive ends. Hendo's the shortest guy on the floor for us in that lineup and he's definitely not a player that plays like he's 6'4''. McClure sets great screens and moves really well without the ball. It also seems like he's looking to shoot just a little bit more than he once did. At the very least, he's taking some dribbles to the basket and forcing defenders to collapse around him. Plus, his defensive presence sparks the offense. I've been very surprised to see him playing so much 3 this season, but he also looks so natural there it's no wonder K likes to use him with Singler and Zoubs.

jv001
01-01-2009, 12:15 PM
I'm a huge fan of the Zoubs, Singler, McClure, Hendo, Scheyer lineup. It allows us to go pretty big without sacrificing quickness and explosiveness on both the offensive and defensive ends. Hendo's the shortest guy on the floor for us in that lineup and he's definitely not a player that plays like he's 6'4''. McClure sets great screens and moves really well without the ball. It also seems like he's looking to shoot just a little bit more than he once did. At the very least, he's taking some dribbles to the basket and forcing defenders to collapse around him. Plus, his defensive presence sparks the offense. I've been very surprised to see him playing so much 3 this season, but he also looks so natural there it's no wonder K likes to use him with Singler and Zoubs.

I like this lineup also. And it makes me wonder if Nolan misses any time due to his knee injury, would Coach K put McClure on the opposing point guard. Sort of like D-Mark did last year. I like Jon playing off the ball because he anticipates so well and makes lot's of steals in that manner. Just a thought. Go Duke!

Jumbo
01-01-2009, 12:17 PM
I like this lineup also. And it makes me wonder if Nolan misses any time due to his knee injury, would Coach K put McClure on the opposing point guard. Sort of like D-Mark did last year. I like Jon playing off the ball because he anticipates so well and makes lot's of steals in that manner. Just a thought. Go Duke!

Dave is an excellent defender -- particularly on the help side -- but I don't think he has the lateral quickness to stay with opposing point guards.

jv001
01-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Dave is an excellent defender -- particularly on the help side -- but I don't think he has the lateral quickness to stay with opposing point guards.

Well if Nolan misses any time, then maybe the people wanting Williams to get extra mins will get their wish. I think Jon can guard the opposing point guard, but he is so good at off guard in making steals. And from what I hear Nolan is not going to miss anytime so this may be a moot point. Go Duke!

RainingThrees
01-01-2009, 06:31 PM

He also is not a threat on offense and teams back off and basically ask him to shoot it.

Jumbo
01-01-2009, 06:35 PM
He also is not a threat on offense and teams back off and basically ask him to shoot it.

We're talking about defense. Whether he is guarding a 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, that doesn't change whether he's a threat or not on offense.