PDA

View Full Version : Man of the Match vs. Loyola

Jumbo
12-31-2008, 06:18 PM
Who was the Man of the Match vs. Loyola?

CameronCrazy'11
12-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Gotta love Zoubek's double-double. 15 points, 10 rebounds in 17 minutes. Wow.

Bob Green
12-31-2008, 06:24 PM
I have to go with Brian Zoubek. Yes, he logged a double-double, but he earned my vote due to the fact he is looking so much better on defense. Zoubek is looking good and has become a factor other teams are going to have to prepare for.

jpfrizzle
12-31-2008, 06:25 PM
Gotta love Zoubek's double-double. 15 points, 10 rebounds in 17 minutes. Wow.

Now if he could that more often, he'd be unstoppable

geraldsneighbor
12-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Baby steps guys, baby steps. Nice job Zoub!

mgtr
12-31-2008, 06:39 PM
Lets give Zoubs his due. He is coming along. Now, Hendo, Scheyer, and Singler weren't that bad, either. But it was Loyola of Maryland.

juise
12-31-2008, 06:48 PM
Hendo gets it for being the only one to knock down a three. :p

Jumbo
12-31-2008, 06:52 PM
Now if he could that more often, he'd be unstoppable

Well, it helps when you're playing against a 4-8 team in a weak conference with no one guarding you whose head reaches your shoulder. Either way, though, he was terrific.

I could make an argument for Scheyer, Singler and Henderson, and McClure played quite well, too.

jpfrizzle
12-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Well, it helps when you're playing against a 4-8 team in a weak conference with no one guarding you whose head reaches your shoulder. Either way, though, he was terrific.

No matter who Zoubek is up against; He's our big guy coming off an injury.. I want to see great things from him this season and next year. I still got hope for him.

FireOgilvie
12-31-2008, 07:12 PM
I voted for Zoubek, but Singler had a great game as well... 20 points, 8 rebounds, career high 6 steals.

I'm glad to see Henderson scoring again.

Zoubek looks dominant on defense lately.

Saratoga2
12-31-2008, 07:17 PM
I chose Henderson, but thought Scheyer played and excellent game and yes so did Zoubek and Singler. Nice problem having 4 guys deserving of mention for player of the game.

Jumbo
12-31-2008, 07:22 PM
No matter who Zoubek is up against; He's our big guy coming off an injury.. I want to see great things from him this season and next year. I still got hope for him.

Everyone has hope for him. There's no need to have hope for him, in fact -- he's producing exactly as we had hoped. At this point, I look at him as a consistent contributor. Time was, if he had five points and five boards, he'd get a bunch of MOTM votes just because of a limited contribution. Now, he's at a level where he doesn't need sympathy votes. When he's the MOTM, it's because he played the best out there. That's why I voted for him tonight.

jpfrizzle
12-31-2008, 08:15 PM
I voted for him tonight.

I voted for him too!! :D

Go Zoubek ! ! ! !

jv001
01-01-2009, 12:10 PM
I voted for Zoubs but could have voted for Gerald, Jon or Kyle. I have been amazed at Brian's improvement this year. He has really comeback from his injuries and is improving almost every game. Now it's time for him to step up one more level in ACC Play. I for one think he can do it. Just keep up the confidence Big Guy. I was impressed also with the way Jon led the team in Nolan's absence. Our offense runs so much smoother with him at point rather than Greg. Go Duke!

RainingThrees
01-01-2009, 01:34 PM
Zoubs!! Good all-round team play though and glad that Olek got some burn.

dukelifer
01-01-2009, 02:05 PM
Scheyer should have gotten it because of his assists to both Zoubek and Henderson and taking the reigns when Nolan hurt his knee, but I gave it again to Zoubek because of his rebounding. A double-double even against a small team is still impressive.

BlueintheFace
01-01-2009, 02:53 PM
I voted for Lance because as the season goes on I am seeing what is starting to look like a very complete offensive package. I know other players are more deserving this game, but I find myself wanting to give it to Lance in more and more games and somebody keeps edging him out by a little (in my mind at least). So this vote is for all the good games he has had thus far.

Lance has shown that he can:

1) go to work on the offensive glass

2) use the up-and-under to finish with the left or right

3) utilize the shot fake on the wings to open up the baseline drive for the basket or the foul (or both)

4) Hit the mid-range jumper (who knew?)

If his confidence grows over the course of the season, I can foresee a very good March for him. IMO, Lance is the MIP this year with Zoubek right there with him. Now if he can just cut down on those off-the-ball offensive fouls.

RainingThrees
01-01-2009, 02:59 PM
I voted for Lance because as the season goes on I am seeing what is starting to look like a very complete offensive package. I know other players are more deserving this game, but I find myself wanting to give it to Lance in more and more games and somebody keeps edging him out by a little (in my mind at least). So this vote is for all the good games he has had thus far.

Lance has shown that he can:

1) go to work on the offensive glass

2) use the up-and-under to finish with the left or right

3) utilize the shot fake on the wings to open up the baseline drive for the basket or the foul (or both)

4) Hit the mid-range jumper (who knew?)

If his confidence grows over the course of the season, I can foresee a very good March for him. IMO, Lance is the MIP this year with Zoubek right there with him. Now if he can just cut down on those off-the-ball offensive fouls.

And hit some free throws.

sandinmyshoes
01-01-2009, 03:02 PM
I went with Greg. While he came in an ran the team with poise, I voted for him for what he didn't do. He didn't take the opportunity of Nolan's absence to try and show what he could do with those minutes. He played within himself and within the game plan.

mapei
01-01-2009, 04:49 PM
I voted for Brian. It was a very weak opponent, to be sure, but a double-double in only 17 minutes of play is an impressive and true reflection of how well he played. He has improved substantially this year. The fouls seem way down, too - he's moving more quickly.

Honorable mention to Jon.

ACCBBallFan
01-01-2009, 07:41 PM
Depends on whether the question is relative to expectations, or just who playeed the best. Kyle Singelr has won statistically in all but one or two games:

Rating Player
72 Kyle Singler, F
58 Gerald Henderson, G-F
57 Brian Zoubek, C
54 Brian Rudolph, G
50 Jon Scheyer, G
43 Jamal Barney, G
37 Elliot Williams, G
35 David McClure, F
34 TOTALS-Duke
34 Marquis Sullivan, G
33 Tony Lewis, G
32 Isaac Reid, F
29 Lance Thomas, F
27 Anthony Winbush, F
26 TOTALS-Loyola MD
25 Greg Paulus, G
24 Jawaan Wright, F
20 Brett Harvey, G
15 Nolan Smith, G
12 Martynas Pocius, G
12 Dan Ficke, F
10 Brad Farrell, F
09 Miles Plumlee, F
09 J'hared Hall, G
08 Olek Czyz, F
01 Garrett Kelly, F
00 Josh Wiegand, F-C

ncexnyc
01-01-2009, 07:43 PM
Four choices today, but I had to go with Brian. He set the tone for our team, by exploiting the major advantage he had our the opposition.

Loved Kyle's statline, especially the 0 turnovers.

Jon has unbelievable court vision.

G, looks to be rounding into form just in time for the start of ACC play. Some super atheletic moves yesterday. Loved the driving scoop shot, where he cupped the ball and that recovery on the tipped alley-oop pass from Greg reminded me of some other G we had along time ago.

Scorp4me
01-02-2009, 01:10 AM
I'm with sandinmyshoes. It's gotten to where Greg gets more grief on the Duke message boards than he does on the opponent's message boards. But I know I felt completely comfortable when Nolan got hurt knowing he was over on the bench.

RainingThrees
01-02-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm with sandinmyshoes. It's gotten to where Greg gets more grief on the Duke message boards than he does on the opponent's message boards. But I know I felt completely comfortable when Nolan got hurt knowing he was over on the bench.

Trust me Greg gets more from other fans than he does from us. Just talk to some heels and bring up Greg, most hated next to JJ to all opposing teams.

Jeffrey
01-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I went with Greg. While he came in an ran the team with poise, I voted for him for what he didn't do. He didn't take the opportunity of Nolan's absence to try and show what he could do with those minutes. He played within himself and within the game plan.

Hi,

IMO, Jon did a better job running the point than Greg did in Nolan's absence. I voted for Jon given his excellent all-around game.

Please note, I think Greg has a lot to offer this team (shooting, leadership, etc.) and we're very lucky he chose to play for Duke.

Best regards,
Jeffrey