PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Football Schedule

DukeSince'77
12-30-2008, 11:53 AM
I know it's early...but making plans!! Have the non conference football games been announced?? I believe we are playing Richmond, Kansas and Army...who else are we playing?? I believe this is one of the years we were suppose to play Louisville. Also, does anyone know if the schedule will be balanced with 6 home and 6 away games??

Really looking forward to Football!!

Bluedog
12-30-2008, 11:58 AM
I know it's early...but making plans!! Have the non conference football games been announced?? I believe we are playing Richmond, Kansas and Army...who else are we playing?? I believe this is one of the years we were suppose to play Louisville. Also, does anyone know if the schedule will be balanced with 6 home and 6 away games??

We're not playing Louisville. Don't you remember that we backed out?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3455278

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/duke_future.htm

9-12 @ Army
9-19 @ Kansas
TBA Richmond
-----
Maryland
Wake Forest
@ North Carolina State
@ Virginia
Georgia Tech
@ North Carolina
@ Miami FL
Virginia Tech

wolfpackdevil
12-30-2008, 12:21 PM
We're not playing Louisville. Don't you remember that we backed out?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3455278

http://www.nationalchamps.net/NCAA/future_schedules/duke_future.htm

I think the games at Army and at Kansas will be good for our program. Playing at a school that was a win away from the BCS National Championship game, looks good for Duke.

We should be able to beat Army pretty easily.

Richmond though is very good. They are the Division 1-AA National Champs, so that could possibly be a good game.

And I'm guessing our other non-conference game will be a home game vs. Vanderbilt.

We played Vandy on the road this year, so most likely we'll play them at home next year.

I am very excited for the 09 Campaign, but I do need a break from the roller coaster ride this year brought Duke Football

(And I have to follow my NC State Men's BBALL team, as were in our easy schedule time)

DU82
12-30-2008, 12:28 PM

The Army and Kansas games are away. The Richmond game is home. The fourth non-con game, which hasn't been announced yet, will be a home game. (Some details have to be worked out before the opponent can be announced. Travel details are not an issue. It is not Vandy.)

So we will have six home and six away games.

roywhite
12-30-2008, 12:31 PM
For those in the Northeast or others considering a road trip, I strongly recommend a visit to West Point for the Duke--Army game. A beautiful, historic place.

DukieInKansas
12-30-2008, 12:36 PM
I had seen a Kansas flyer indicating that Duke was coming. Can anyone provide information on getting tickets through Duke for that game? I'd much rather sit in a Duke section than find tickets through KU for the game.

watzone
12-30-2008, 12:55 PM
Looks as if NCCU will be added.

Bluedog
12-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Looks as if NCCU will be added.

Really?!? I would be shocked if that's the case because we're already playing a I-AA team in Richmond (yeah, I know, it's now the "Championship Subdivision"). I had thought the rule is that a team can only count one win against the I-AA towards bowl eligibility. If we play Richmond and NCCU (and beat them both), we'll have to win 7 games next season to be bowl eligible. This would seem like silly scheduling to me... :confused:

Bob Green
12-30-2008, 01:13 PM
This would seem like silly scheduling to me... :confused:

Silly scheduling or not, NCCU appears to be the opponent selected to fill out the schedule. I was hoping for another team from a BCS conference.

DukeSince'77
12-30-2008, 01:56 PM
So I guess this is the fallout from breaking the contract with Louisville - we get NCCU??

I imagine with the way football schedules are completed so far in advance, it is difficult to replace teams on "short" notice. I believe that is one reason Louisville fought to keep us on their schedule.

DU82
12-30-2008, 03:10 PM
Really?!? I would be shocked if that's the case because we're already playing a I-AA team in Richmond (yeah, I know, it's now the "Championship Subdivision"). I had thought the rule is that a team can only count one win against the I-AA towards bowl eligibility. If we play Richmond and NCCU (and beat them both), we'll have to win 7 games next season to be bowl eligible. This would seem like silly scheduling to me... :confused:

At this late notice, finding a team with an opening is tough. With NCCU just moving up to D1-AA, they had more openings. Plus, with the economy as it is, travel costs are an issue. Can't get much less expensive than a 5 mile drive. And, we'll probably fill up the stadium.

killerleft
12-30-2008, 03:12 PM
NCCU. Is that a joke? We replace Louisville with NCCU? Boy, that's one I sure don't want to miss.

Bluedog
12-30-2008, 03:13 PM
At this late notice, finding a team with an opening is tough. With NCCU just moving up to D1-AA, they had more openings. Plus, with the economy as it is, travel costs are an issue. Can't get much less expensive than a 5 mile drive. And, we'll probably fill up the stadium.

True, I suppose it's not the worst thing. Definitely hard to find a team this late. But I think one of our goals next season should be to make a bowl, and playing NCCU makes it tough since we essentially are playing one fewer game (although if we lose to Richmond, which I certainly don't expect, then a win vs. NCCU would count if I'm not mistaken).

killerleft
12-30-2008, 03:30 PM
It would be nice to hear the rationale behind both the Louisville "drop" and the "NCCU" gain. Surely we knew how tough it would be to find a suitable opponent. Or was scheduling NCCU instead the whole idea in the first place?

From a fan's perspective, this is gonna suck. Central will certainly give us a legitimate full house. Other than that, I don't see any benefit at all. Will Duke play what should be a "non-game" virtually every year? If so, that would give "sell-out" a negative meaning for me.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-30-2008, 03:31 PM
I had seen a Kansas flyer indicating that Duke was coming. Can anyone provide information on getting tickets through Duke for that game? I'd much rather sit in a Duke section than find tickets through KU for the game.

They most likely will be available with your Duke season ticket order when you get that. What's that? You don't have Duke football season tickets yet? Why not?!? You should!

OZZIE4DUKE
12-30-2008, 03:39 PM
For those in the Northeast or others considering a road trip, I strongly recommend a visit to West Point for the Duke--Army game. A beautiful, historic place.

I work with/for a West Point grad. In fact, his dad, who owns the company, was Coach K's (and Bobby Knight's) direct commanding officer when they were the Army bball coaches back in the day.

I expect I will be at this game!

DukieInKansas
12-30-2008, 04:05 PM
They most likely will be available with your Duke season ticket order when you get that. What's that? You don't have Duke football season tickets yet? Why not?!? You should!

I'll buy season tickets if you will provide my transportation to the games, as well as any necessary lodging in the Durham end on Friday &/or Saturday nights!

Perhaps I can persuade some wonderful DBR friend with season tickets to order some for me, to be reimbursed of course?

NYC Duke Fan
12-30-2008, 05:26 PM
We should play Stanford, Rice, Vanderbilt and Northwestern, schools with comperable academic reputations.

Incidentally 3 of the above went to bowls this year...no reason why Duke should not join them next year.

RelativeWays
12-30-2008, 06:58 PM
I think A&T beat NCCU this year and the Aggies have been a terrible terrible team for years. I really wish we were playing Stanford, Purdue or NW. On the other hand, NCCU's marching band will totally smash the DUMB. The Aggies marching band would anyway.

Acymetric
12-30-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't really see why people want us to play against schools with "similar academics" like Northwestern or Stanford. I just don't see any advantage, except to group us in with schools like that. I'd much rather see us play either gimme games against schools from non-BCS conferences or play real, legitimate contenders from other conferences. I don't think we have much to gain by playing a Stanford or a Northwestern. But I could be wrong.

That said, I like NCCU as our 1-AA game annually, though I don't like having 2 1-AA games this coming year. My hope is that through a game with NCCU we can pull in some local people to our fanbase. That might be what the athletic department is thinking as well.

OZZIE4DUKE
12-30-2008, 08:42 PM
I'll buy season tickets if you will provide my transportation to the games, as well as any necessary lodging in the Durham end on Friday &/or Saturday nights!

Perhaps I can persuade some wonderful DBR friend with season tickets to order some for me, to be reimbursed of course?

See my post to you in the other thread OT (EarlJam's Tilex/cleaning thread). I'll be happy to accommodate you on this!

CameronBornAndBred
12-30-2008, 08:51 PM
I don't really see why people want us to play against schools with "similar academics" like Northwestern or Stanford. I just don't see any advantage, except to group us in with schools like that. I'd much rather see us play either gimme games against schools from non-BCS conferences or play real, legitimate contenders from other conferences. I don't think we have much to gain by playing a Stanford or a Northwestern. But I could be wrong.
We would have gained a bowl bid by beating Northwestern this year, we gained some respect by playing them so close this year. I would call them a legitimate contender in the Big Ten. No one would argue Wake is not a legitimate contender in the ACC, luckily we play them every year, and they are a good comparison to NW.

CameronBornAndBred
12-30-2008, 08:58 PM
I got my Wake tickets in the Duke section this year on StubHub. I paid basically face value and had great seats. I bought them in the summer before the season started. It would have cost me more if I had bought from either Duke or Wake's sites.

A-Tex Devil
12-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Those two FCS teams are really going to hurt our chances of making the BCS championship game next year. We'll probably have to run the table to make it.

Acymetric
12-30-2008, 09:48 PM
We would have gained a bowl bid by beating Northwestern this year, we gained some respect by playing them so close this year. I would call them a legitimate contender in the Big Ten. No one would argue Wake is not a legitimate contender in the ACC, luckily we play them every year, and they are a good comparison to NW.

But the respect and the bowl bid would have come with a win or close loss over any good football team, right? Maybe even a little more respect if it was a team with a larger market or more football history. So why play Northwestern over some other mid to high tier team that might have get us even more respect either by having a larger market or by having more football history than schools like NW or Stanford. Not saying we shouldn't play those schools, I'm just asking why them over schools with team playing at a similar level?

CameronBornAndBred
12-30-2008, 10:11 PM
Those two FCS teams are really going to hurt our chances of making the BCS championship game next year. We'll probably have to run the table to make it.
We will have to have 7 wins, unless we lose to one of them, just to be eligible. Earlier in the season I made fun of FSU for playing two FCS teams, can't believe we've done it too. I wonder what Cut thinks. (I'm assuming it's not actually set in stone, but can't see many more options)

-bdbd
12-30-2008, 10:45 PM
I work with/for a West Point grad. In fact, his dad, who owns the company, was Coach K's (and Bobby Knight's) direct commanding officer when they were the Army bball coaches back in the day.

I expect I will be at this game!

Hey Oz - plan on a pit-stop overnight along the way. Very good chance that I'll be heading up to West Point for the 9/12/09 game too. Pretty environment (though not as prety as Annapolis here near DC) with loads of tradition. And, best of all, with a new coach getting established there, we'll have an excellent chance of winning... :-)

I like the idea of a frequent match-up with NCCU, as (1) Provides a near-guaranteed sellout, (2) Is a likely win against a I-AA opponent; (3) Should start boosting local interest/support of Duke footbal, something Cut clearly wants to do - to wit, all of the NC recruits he signed this year, and relationships forged with NC high School programs.

I just don't "get" having 2 I-AA opponents in the same year though. Yes, it is one way to help boost your record, on paper, BUT it now means we must win six OTHER games (it seems likely that if we are to become bowl-eligible we should beat both I-AA opponents). That means we must get 7 wins now...

I think the idea of pulling out of the Louisville matchup was that we wanted to stop going after "payday" games just for the 1x payout and start sheduling winable HOME games or bringing better opponents to Durham (Example: hosting AL in the home-home series coming in a couple years, in Durham vs the payday of playing them in Atlanta or some such, likely against 90% 'bama fans). I think this direction is consistent across the board, and reasonable. The only piece I question is the 2 opponents in one year from I-AA. (and that might have been a "no choice" situation just this once).

I see about 8 "winnable" (and losable) games on that slate and believe we should at least match this year's win total of 4. Go Devils!!

-DBDB :-)

arnie
12-31-2008, 09:43 AM
I think cancelling the Lousville series only makes sense if you have a backup plan for a replacement opponent. Obviously, the forces to be that made that move didn't have a plan in place. Oh well, that's how its kind of gone for Duke football. I do agree that if we're gonna play a level 2 opponent, Central makes sense.

NYC Duke Fan
12-31-2008, 09:53 AM

That said, I like NCCU as our 1-AA game annually, though I don't like having 2 1-AA games this coming year. My hope is that through a game with NCCU we can pull in some local people to our fanbase. That might be what the athletic department is thinking as well.

Northwestern, Rice and Vanderbilt all went to bowls this year. Last year Stanford upset USC.

Duke probably recruits the same kind of players and I expect that we will be compettitive very soon.

PDDuke85
12-31-2008, 02:49 PM
Nearly January. No bowling for our grid iron Devils, and yet, people are still chatting of Duke football.

I do hope Santa was very, very kind to little David Cutcliffe.

The football future is as bright as the old north star!

Devil in the Blue Dress
12-31-2008, 09:09 PM
Nearly January. No bowling for our grid iron Devils, and yet, people are still chatting of Duke football.

I do hope Santa was very, very kind to little David Cutcliffe.

The football future is as bright as the old north star!

Since it's New Year's Eve, let's all raise a glass of bubbly to toast Coach Cutcliffe and our football team.