PDA

View Full Version : Duke Perimeter Play

gw67
12-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Nearly six months ago, I started a thread on perimeter play in the ACC. My prediction at that time was that perimeter play in the ACC would be very good this year and that the Duke, UNC and Miami perimeter play would be excellent. In general, that prediction has played out although the Miami perimeter play has not been as good as I thought it would be. The following are thoughts on the Devils’ play.

Original thoughts re Devils:

“Duke – The Duke perimeter play was good last year but I expect it to be better this year. They are experienced and deep, and they have three players who are potentially All ACC. Henderson still has holes in his game but he is expected to pick up his game this year and lead the team. Scheyer is underappreciated by many Duke fans but he is the Devils’ best all around perimeter player, IMO. Paulus was 3rd team All ACC last year, is a good long range shooter and he had the best a/to ratio in league play last year. Smith is an above average defensive player and an outstanding offensive player. He should thrive as a sixth man. As a freshman, passing was an afterthought and his ballhandling and decision making were not up to ACC point guard standards (a/to ratio less than 1). If he improves in these areas, he can be an All ACC player in his junior and senior seasons. Pocius and Williams provide good depth in the event someone gets hurt or in foul trouble.”

The starting three of Smith, Scheyer and Henderson has been outstanding. The combined stats for the three are as follows:
mpg - 74.7
ppg - 37.2
fg% - .477
3pt% - .385
ft% - .872
rpg - 10.5
apg - 6.4
to/g - 5.1

From the stats, the three have been good on the offensive end and, from my observations, all three have been solid on the defense. Each of these players has improved over last year. The only negative, IMO, is the low number of assists among the three although passing seems to be improving during the past few games.

The bench play has been disappointing although I expect it to improve. Paulus has been injured and is just rounding back in shape. Williams and Pocius have had their moments but have shot a bunch of bricks/air balls. McClure does not add much on the offense but he is a solid defender/rebounder and a decent passer.

Overall, the Devils’ perimeter play has been very good and probably the second best in the conference.

gw67

ACCBBallFan
12-30-2008, 02:08 PM
An ACC strength this year, with almost every team having a couple and some three good 1-2-3 players:

Clemson has Stitt-Ogelsby and Rivers
Miami has Hurdle-McClinton-Dew
Wake has Smith-Teague-Aminu and good subs once Smith is fully back
Duke has Smith-Scheyer-Henderson with Paulus in reserve
UNC has Lawson-Ellington-Green with Ginyard on the mend
BC has Rice-Senaders-Raji
MD has Vasquez-Hayes-Tucker
VA Tech has Vassallo and Delaney with Thorns
UVA has Baker and Diane
GA Tech with Clinch back also has Miller
FSU has Douglas and Kitchen'
NC St is injured at those spots